Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Scrap Dragon posted:

Not only is Shirahoshi good actually, I know you're not saying this when Rebecca exists

Rebecca's only discenarible trait is not her crying constantly so ya I would put her above Shirahoshi. Anyone who doesn't have that trait is above her, so basically 99% of the OP cast.

Last Celebration posted:

I mean, Hordy’s first fight is getting smoked by Zoro underwater, with him going SSJ Blanco because he ODed taking pills to recover from the fight. I don’t think we’re meant to be impressed by Hordy Jones, the whole point of him is that he just has hollow, warped, inherited generational hatred of humans from people who actually did suffer and witness suffering at their hands like Fisher King, the guy who hated humans deep down for a good reason, so much he literally died from it, but made a sincere earnest effort to not just do what Hordy did and blindly hate and show compassion to humans oppressed and victimized by others.

For me the main villain of every arc up until then were impressive and you felt threatened, if they caught anyone other than Luffy they could do serious damage. Not sure what the point was by having him been humiliated by Zoro so early. Kinda just crushed all the hype for his eventual fight vs Luffy. He didn't need to be strong but Oda is basically telling us this guy is weak nonstop which just kills the hype.

Also like I said I do think the backstory is good and he isn't one of those villains who is just doing poo poo because of the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
thriller bark has the best joke in OP in it and therefore can't be the worst arc

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The entire point of that arc was the glaze up the post-timeskip strawhats, whether or not the strawhats could physically overcome the villains was never a point of real contention so much as how they use this strength to relate to the people they meet in their journey.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

fishman islands the worst arc in the series but its still a c+ imo. lot of kickass moments, some good gags (youre not my type!!, big shark), some cool adventure vibes. theres stuff to love here. same with dressrosa which imo is also about a c+/b-. everything after dressrosa's been a hard a for me though and the hits keep comin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

zoro usin the frog at the bottom of the well line and fuckin smoking that drunken octopus guy - gently caress yeah! yes!

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
it has the jimbe being forgiven by nami scene which is like a top 10 moment for me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Jose posted:

thriller bark has the best joke in OP in it and therefore can't be the worst arc

nobody said it was the worst arc tho

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In a mostly very enjoyable dub Shirahoshi's voice stands out as really annoying

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxFgK_A1F0Y
Thriller bark ftw

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The entire point of that arc was the glaze up the post-timeskip strawhats, whether or not the strawhats could physically overcome the villains was never a point of real contention so much as how they use this strength to relate to the people they meet in their journey.

I get it but the lack of stakes also means that the fights aren’t super interesting and it causes the characters from the flashback to totally out shadow what’s going on in the present day.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fishman Island is a much better arc if you just pretend the Straw Hats aren't the protagonists of it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I get it but the lack of stakes also means that the fights aren’t super interesting and it causes the characters from the flashback to totally out shadow what’s going on in the present day.

Yeah, I think the point of Fishman island is that it was still technically the “Paradise” part of the Grand Line, which is meant to be a joke to the post-skip crew. And yeah, I agree that it kinda drags on several levels because it’s mostly “OH MAN, LOOK AT HOW MUCH STRONGER EVERYONE* GOT, LOOK AT HOW BADLY THEYRE CLOWNING ON EVERYONE WITH THEIR NEW TRICKS”, but it’s less so than I remembered on my reread.

*not Luffy and Zoro, you’ll be waiting about three more years and some change for that

Irony Be My Shield posted:

In a mostly very enjoyable dub Shirahoshi's voice stands out as really annoying

Sounds like a Dark Souls III poise situation, OP.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

im like 20 chapters in and i swear, it's fine

now if I was reading it weekly it might be a bit boring...

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Instead you're just reading weakly. Nerd!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The real villain of Fishman Island is generational hatred and what effect it has on the youth

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:

Ulio posted:

Rebecca's only discenarible trait is not her crying constantly so ya I would put her above Shirahoshi. Anyone who doesn't have that trait is above her, so basically 99% of the OP cast.

Rebecca was loving robbed

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Instead you're just reading weakly. Nerd!

It's true. I'm trying not to rush. If I take my time, maybe Yamato will have shown up again by the time I truly catch up???

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Sanji nosebleed poo poo sucks, but Fishman Island is actually a pretty good arc.

The actual worst arc (and the only bad one, imo) is Punk Hazard

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Punk Hazard has Robin being extremely mad at Franky for ruining Chopper

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Rebecca is fine goons are just weird.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

My favorite part has always been Otohime going to the surface with mjosgard and coming back unscathed. I really want to know how she admonished him and what celestial dragon culture is like. Mjosgard saying “but I’ve always been a respected man” when his former slaves pointed the gun at him feels very significant. I wonder how many of the celestials really believe that they’re doing nothing wrong and even their slaves love them. I’ve always assumed that delusion exists and it’s how Otohime cut through to him.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I got to this thread late, whose massive dumper is the current thread title referring to?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Zoro’s

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Sockser posted:

I got to this thread late, whose massive dumper is the current thread title referring to?

It was a general reference to Oda's self-admitted focus on drawing more butts during the Egghead Arc.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

a lot of one piece is more comprehensible or funnier animated but i think this gag in particular works a lot better as panels

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

zombies belong in graves

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Eh, I thought that was already shown in return to sabaody ...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ulio posted:

tbf the timeskip power-ups wouldn’t feel very meaningful if the strawhats only went one fight before being outclassed again. Naruto had that problem

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ulio posted:

I mean the only thing that happened there was Luffy using Conqueror's Haki to take out all the fake straw hats

which was cool, dont get me wrong

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

I don't understand why a good amount of people in this thread disses Fishman Island. It was good, actually. You were never supposed to take Hody seriously at all lmao. Like hatty said the real villain is generational hatred, and that's the problem that Luffy is going to have a hard time punching away, not Hody. Hody isn't supposed to have any likable part, he's empty beyond the targetless hatred he's got toward humans, fostered by the society of Fishman Island.

That's why Jimbei tried to have that whole rear end plan that Luffy had to wait until everyone was explicitly calling for him to come, otherwise it's yet another unwanted human saviour barging in and doing whatever the gently caress they want to.

The last time we saw the crew, they got their asses kicked badly, and Sabaody didn't really show their growth too much.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

oh right and Zoro destroyed a ship

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

They also smashed a couple pacifistas which wrecked them earlier

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fishman Island is one of the weaker One Piece arcs but even the weaker One Piece arcs are still good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

scary ghost dog posted:

a lot of one piece is more comprehensible or funnier animated but i think this gag in particular works a lot better as panels

odas secret sauce is hes so good at panel flow its unreal

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

30 year old Jinbei got some nice hair

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Marluxia posted:

I don't understand why a good amount of people in this thread disses Fishman Island. It was good, actually. You were never supposed to take Hody seriously at all lmao. Like hatty said the real villain is generational hatred, and that's the problem that Luffy is going to have a hard time punching away, not Hody. Hody isn't supposed to have any likable part, he's empty beyond the targetless hatred he's got toward humans, fostered by the society of Fishman Island.

That's why Jimbei tried to have that whole rear end plan that Luffy had to wait until everyone was explicitly calling for him to come, otherwise it's yet another unwanted human saviour barging in and doing whatever the gently caress they want to.

The last time we saw the crew, they got their asses kicked badly, and Sabaody didn't really show their growth too much.

Folks keep comparing arcs and it’s weird to me. It’s one giant narrative, it’s one piece, not a bunch you can ignore like they’re brown m&ms. Everything matters, even anime filler or movies sometimes. Skipping chapters just seems weird to me with this mental model which is probably a me problem but ah well.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Whats wrong with brown m&ms??

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I would NEVER skip a chapter

especially with how Oda cooks

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
i think thriller bark and punk hazard get such bad raps because they are more comedy focused arcs. after water7/enies set the stage for mostly serious one piece, with people drawn to the extreme peaks of drama oda can dish out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I LOVE this shirt