Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ryaomon posted:

Rebecca is fine goons are just weird.

Rebecca is boring at worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

https://www.teepublic.com/t-shirt/2946498-fisher-tiger-one-piece-frog-no-hippo

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Voxx posted:

i think thriller bark and punk hazard get such bad raps because they are more comedy focused arcs. after water7/enies set the stage for mostly serious one piece, with people drawn to the extreme peaks of drama oda can dish out
But Zoro vs Kaku is the funniest 2 chapters of the series. If you havent read it at least a dozen times read it again.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Voxx posted:

i think thriller bark and punk hazard get such bad raps because they are more comedy focused arcs. after water7/enies set the stage for mostly serious one piece, with people drawn to the extreme peaks of drama oda can dish out

I think this is why Davy Back Fight & Foxy are kind of not very popular either, but I like it because it's a necessary exhale, because between "attack and dethrone god" and "government black ops conspiracy" sometimes you just need to chill out and go "wow that dog is really long".

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Voxx posted:

Dunno, I've never heard about Thriller Bark having a bad rap especially since it gets so strong towards the end with the Oz fight, "nothing happened," and Bink's Sake.

Punk Hazard is a bigger slog because it kills its momentum really hard at one point, but there's plenty of good gags throught and all the stuff with the kids is Oda exploring ideas about fatherhood that've come more to the forefront as it's crept up to him how long he's been doing this comic. It's definitely grown on me on re-reads but it's one of the weaker arcs still.

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

It's the best shirt

they want shady fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 8, 2024

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

It's one of Oda's best designs.

they want shady
May 11, 2013

No Wave posted:

But Zoro vs Kaku is the funniest 2 chapters of the series. If you havent read it at least a dozen times read it again.

Also Chopper messing with Franky while getting him a cola, Zoro and Usopp getting cuffed, fuckin Michael and Hoikel from the old town... Water 7 and Enies Lobby are filled with really good gags throughout.

Ryaomon posted:

I think this is why Davy Back Fight & Foxy are kind of not very popular either, but I like it because it's a necessary exhale, because between "attack and dethrone god" and "government black ops conspiracy" sometimes you just need to chill out and go "wow that dog is really long".

I loving love the Davy Back Fight too, might be One Piece at its funniest for me personally. Tonjit might be the funniest character Oda's done relative to how little he appears lol

I guess I'm just saying that Oda's godly at making stupid gags and I think there's at least one in every major arc that gets me again on a re-read.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

My wife got me this shirt for Christmas and it's now among my most cherished possessions

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Id love to see Kubo vs Oda in a tshirt design contest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love the callback to the "A severely injured old man?" joke later in Thriller Bark where another shambling figure comes out and they go,"Another zombie?" and he says,"No, I'm a severely injured old man."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I love the callback to the "A severely injured old man?" joke later in Thriller Bark where another shambling figure comes out and they go,"Another zombie?" and he says,"No, I'm a severely injured old man."

its six pages later in the same chapter right after they finish beating up the zombies lol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think of all the arcs, the vibes of Thriller Bark are unmatched. Love Halloweentown bullshit.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the gorosei are all one person

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The thread went crazy over that shirt when that chapter came out and it’s so nice to see new people react the same way, 15 years later :negative:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Meowywitch posted:

I LOVE this shirt

I own this shirt. I long for the day that someone recognizes it in public.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Bleck posted:

I own this shirt. I long for the day that someone recognizes it in public.

I wore it to teach one day and a student stopped me mid answering his question and said, “wait, isnt that fisher tiger’s shirt?”

I like to think my nerd cred went up a little that day.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I owned that shirt over ten years ago, and now i'm going to buy it again

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I should buy that shirt...

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

the mantle has now passed, Oda is the most loved mangaka living
rest in piece Toriyama

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

tbp posted:

the gorosei are all one person

Pictured, the next set of Elder Stars:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Upsidads posted:

rest in piece Toriyama

Oda always was for me, but still rip

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Upsidads posted:

rest in piece Toriyama

Whoa you were being serious drat. He was young

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Yo what the gently caress it’s real

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/dragon-ball-creator-akira-toriyama-dead-68/

RIP … One Piece may be the best, but DBZ will always be my first love

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Before him it would be Tezuka or did Cleopatra hentai cause a dip before he died? Or was there a gap between his death and Dragon Ball starting?

EDIT, DB was going on for 4 years before Tezuka died
NO GAP

Its Tezuka, Toriyama, Oda

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 8, 2024

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ryaomon posted:

Rebecca is fine goons are just weird.

I think Rebecca gets done very dirty by the anime. I watched the anime before I read the manga, and I came away from the former really disliking her. I thought her story was a bad rip-off of Vivi (and it still kind of is, but it has its moments), and the show's constant flashbacks to her and the tin soldier were extremely tedious to me. If I heard that dumb tin soldier song again one more time I might well have bailed on the anime.

Of course, the pacing for all of Dressrosa is much better in the manga, and I came away liking Rebecca more. Still not one of my favorite characters but she's also not the worst.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
https://twitter.com/Leleo2211/status/1765944111251837014?s=20

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

God drat. RIP. DB was the first manga volumes I ever bought.

rko
Jul 12, 2017

It only really hit me reading Oda’s message. It’s always been obvious how much he was inspired by Toriyama—One Piece reads like a love letter to Dragon Ball, especially in the early chapters. That last line of the message is a beautiful sentiment as well. drat.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

pouring out a 40

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gonna miss that guy

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
RIP to a real one. Toriyama will be dearly missed. :rip:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Ryaomon posted:

Foxy is great, Nebulandia is great, the series will end with a Davy Back Fight.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

im ecstatic to play as Foxy in the One Piece card game soon

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

Foxy is great, Nebulandia is great, the series will end with a Davy Back Fight.

ok im expecting a climactic return of the davy back fight but i cant imagine ending the series with one

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

scary ghost dog posted:

ok im expecting a climactic return of the davy back fight but i cant imagine ending the series with one

i can and i'll be disappointed with anything less

davy jones' locker is the one piece

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

RIP

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just bought plane tickets and made my hotel reservation for Tokyo and plan to be there May 1-5. That being said, it turns out that the official One Piece store is also in Shibuya just down the block from where I will be staying.

Is there any merch or One Piece-related events or locations I should look out for while I'm there? Hell, I'd even do a themed cafe. It'll be my first time in Japan, so needless to say I'm super stoked already!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

well that's golden week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ah, yes. A man of culture. :hmmyes:

I just heard about this last night. We lost a loving legend.