Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is that rust on the rounded pipe a concern? If so, is this something where I just tell the utility company about it and they deal with it?

Not even close. You should feel free to give it a spraypaint tune up if you like for looks. Or house paint. Whatever is handy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Not even close. You should feel free to give it a spraypaint tune up if you like for looks. Or house paint. Whatever is handy.

Awesome, glad to hear it. Thanks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You'll know when it's a problem by smell.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Evergreen post.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

H110Hawk posted:

Fix It Fast: Start here for DIY help! (You'll know when it's a problem by smell).

My niece's 'gas leak':

He was a hefty boi, for a mouse.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Mar 3, 2024

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

Fix It Fast: Start here for DIY help! (You'll know when it's a problem by smell).

My niece's 'gas leak':

He was a hefty boi, for a mouse.

Did it get electrocuted?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No, just chose a quiet dark corner to expire in, next to the furnace filter/return...

She called me, freaking out about smelling gas. I told her to call PGW (Philadelphia Gas Works) whose tech smelled it too but his sniffer came up zeroes.

The weird part was her & her SO smelling it on the second floor of her rowhome when the furnace was running, but nothing much in the basement.

I worked my 3X rear end back into the corner behind her stack. I inadvertently kicked aside a piece of 4" PVC piping, & voila.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 3, 2024

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

canary in the coal mine, mouse in the sump pit

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
This is a dumb question that I'm 99% sure I know the answer to but haven't really seen a great answer on googling but

I bought a ceiling fan, I'm planning on replacing my circular light fixture in my bedroom with it. The fan comes with a bracket, but that connects to the circular part. The instructions don't point it out, but I should install a fan brace before, right?

Something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...50-NB/205383182

I'll do it anyway but just want to make sure I'm not doing anything i don't need to, I guess.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Yes, you need a brace for a ceiling fan. If you're lucky, you already have one. Take down the fixture and post a picture of inside the box. We can tell you if you have a brace already or not.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

kid sinister posted:

Yes, you need a brace for a ceiling fan. If you're lucky, you already have one. Take down the fixture and post a picture of inside the box. We can tell you if you have a brace already or not.

Thanks. I probably won't be doing the work immediately, was planning to install before summer starts but was at the store and somehow Lowe's doesn't have one.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is my gas meter:

Is that rust on the rounded pipe a concern? If so, is this something where I just tell the utility company about it and they deal with it?

Welcome to the east coast. :)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Welcome to the east coast. :)

Thanks! The weather is nostalgic, reminds me of coming out here to visit grandparents when I was a kid.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I know I'm making a huge mistake by assuming that combination drive screws are a solution to a real problem, but aside from an inventory shortage, why do Pozidriv/Robertson combination drive screws exist?

Boring backstory:

Each one of these ends tables has 32 PZ2/S2 screws of one length, 32 of another length with the same drive but different head size, 8 in another length, 4 in yet another, a pair of S2, and 1 Philips. The legs are held on with thumbscrews, and I'm going to go with a rough estimate of 60+ staples and a couple of pounds of wood glue in addition to that. There are also some tacks in there despite never having had any fabric on the bottom.

Ignore the list price since it's Chairish and I need to refinish them, but it's a pair of these that belonged to my parents and I hope it's worth $60 to ship them.
https://www.chairish.com/product/3349029/broyhill-lenoir-house-cherry-traditional-style-22-accent-end-table-3220-02

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
edit: (moving to appropriate megathread)

Poque fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Mar 5, 2024

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I know I'm making a huge mistake by assuming that combination drive screws are a solution to a real problem, but aside from an inventory shortage, why do Pozidriv/Robertson combination drive screws exist?

Boring backstory:

Each one of these ends tables has 32 PZ2/S2 screws of one length, 32 of another length with the same drive but different head size, 8 in another length, 4 in yet another, a pair of S2, and 1 Philips. The legs are held on with thumbscrews, and I'm going to go with a rough estimate of 60+ staples and a couple of pounds of wood glue in addition to that. There are also some tacks in there despite never having had any fabric on the bottom.

Ignore the list price since it's Chairish and I need to refinish them, but it's a pair of these that belonged to my parents and I hope it's worth $60 to ship them.
https://www.chairish.com/product/3349029/broyhill-lenoir-house-cherry-traditional-style-22-accent-end-table-3220-02

Square and Pozidrive are objectively better. They’re not nearly as prone to stripping as Phillips and flatheads for one. Maybe you’ll understand once you’ve given them a try. Use nice bits though, something like this: Wera - 5056296001 Pozidriv Mini-Check PZ Sheet Metal Bit Set https://a.co/d/6jpFH4s

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 5, 2024

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

Square and Pozidrive are objectively better. They’re not nearly as prone to stripping as Phillips and flatheads for one. Maybe you’ll understand once you’ve given them a try. Use nice bits though, something like this: Wera - 5056296001 Pozidriv Mini-Check PZ Sheet Metal Bit Set https://a.co/d/6jpFH4s

I think OP is asking why specifically combination drive screws exist for that type. I'd hazard the answer is "because it's physically reasonable and gives people more options for how they drive the screw", but I don't actually know for sure.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Please help me reassemble this simple lamp.

I take it apart the same way I take apart any hanging lamp... I unscrew the tip at the bottom which allows the metal 'bell' to come off easily. I change the bulb and prepare to reassemble it... but there is a fundamental problem. The length of the copper bolt is somehow too short now. It ends about ~1/2" to 1" from the bottom of the metal bell, meaning that the finial cannot be screwed back on. There are no other pieces lying around. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this simple lamp has broken my brain.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

The other end of the assembly is 'attached' using two spring-loaded clips, right?

Remove the assembly with the clips, attach the bell, and then slip it back together. You only need to hold the clips closed until they pass the lip of the glass. The problem you have is that the spring clips are pulling the assembly too far into the glass globe because the bell isn't attached as a 'stop' against the glass rim.

Just a guess based on what I'm looking at, might not be visualizing it correctly.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Tezer posted:

The other end of the assembly is 'attached' using two spring-loaded clips, right?

Remove the assembly with the clips, attach the bell, and then slip it back together. You only need to hold the clips closed until they pass the lip of the glass. The problem you have is that the spring clips are pulling the assembly too far into the glass globe because the bell isn't attached as a 'stop' against the glass rim.

Just a guess based on what I'm looking at, might not be visualizing it correctly.

Thanks, this was basically it. I did not realize that the spring clips at the bottom were not part of the same apparatus as the spring clips holding the top together. I thought their function was only to allow the assembly to slide slideways for accessing the bulb, but as you suggested I could squeeze the clips and pull them out.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My dad wants to jury rig a laser engraver to my old 3D printer, how feasible of a project is this? My understanding thinking about it at a glance is "not very" or probably more trouble than its worth? I think even if we could get the 3D printer program to "print" the letters in mid-air, I think it would be a massive pain to get the measurements right, down to the mm(?) to accurately engrave the text to the (ceramic) object?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
There are 3D printers with options for laser engraving. You might be better off asking in the 3D printing thread here in DIY.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

kid sinister posted:

There are 3D printers with options for laser engraving. You might be better off asking in the 3D printing thread here in DIY.

Some companies sell laser kits.

The danger here is having an unshielded laser blinding you and running amok on a print head without any of the safety of fume extraction.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah it’s a really bad idea to strap a cutting laser to a 3D printer.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

tuyop posted:

Yeah it’s a really awesome idea to strap a cutting laser to a 3D printer.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

nitsuga posted:

I 100% agree that Philips is terrible and both are objectively better (Pozidriv vs Torq might be an entertaining debate, though), but it's an odd combo drive for a table that also has Philips screws (why not just stick with Pozidriv?) and so many staples. I think I weighed 3 pounds of screws and brackets per table, which each weigh just over 33 pounds.

Raenir Salazar posted:

My dad wants to jury rig a laser engraver to my old 3D printer, how feasible of a project is this? My understanding thinking about it at a glance is "not very" or probably more trouble than its worth? I think even if we could get the 3D printer program to "print" the letters in mid-air, I think it would be a massive pain to get the measurements right, down to the mm(?) to accurately engrave the text to the (ceramic) object?
This is a "if you have to ask" questions.

It would be much more practical to save $100-200 to get an entry level CNC machine with a laser head and, I cannot emphasize this enough, a good pair of laser safety glasses/goggles* and a good filter and exhaust fan. The DIY part depends on his skill level on a scale from "I know how to do that" to "what could possibly go wrong?"

* - the engraving head will inevitably be a frequency doubled Nd-YAG or IR laser with a questionable IR filter, and the fun thing about invisible frequencies is that they don't trigger your blink reflex, so you end up with at least a few hundred mW of light focused close enough to your retinas that you won't notice it until you're completely blind.

Did anyone mention that he really needs a good enclosure, exhaust fan, and safety goggles appropriate for the particular laser he's working with? It also will come with a milling motor and bits, and hopefully a safety cover.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
A fire extinguisher wouldn't hurt either.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This is what I figured, I don't think my dad knew that affordable engravers exist. As for safety precautions I believe yes, his day job is a home business co-owner making ceramics from clay and the dust from sanding down edges where you merge different pieces together using clay has dust particles thats bad for your lungs and requires masking etc; plus gloves for applying the hopefully not radioactive glazing etc, I used to help out as a kid. In a way my family was well prepared for the pandemic because they had a large supply of N95 and face masks already.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is what I figured, I don't think my dad knew that affordable engravers exist. As for safety precautions I believe yes, his day job is a home business co-owner making ceramics from clay and the dust from sanding down edges where you merge different pieces together using clay has dust particles thats bad for your lungs and requires masking etc; plus gloves for applying the hopefully not radioactive glazing etc, I used to help out as a kid. In a way my family was well prepared for the pandemic because they had a large supply of N95 and face masks already.

Creality has some laser heads for their ender 3 models in different wattages:
https://store.creality.com/products/creality-laser-module

They also sell some engravers but only one has a full enclosure, but they sell an enclosure as an accessory for the rest. It's a really good idea because those things are dangerous, as mentioned by other goons:
https://store.creality.com/pages/laser-engravers-home

Makers Muse did a video about how dangerous a lot of the cheap laser units are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9hIXT8DMUU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Shitter's no longer leaking!

A contractor came last Friday and tore poo poo out, then took a sample of the vinyl to work on a rebuild estimate. Yesterday I was finally notified that it would be at least two months before someone to come patch the hole.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 7, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One of the burners on my stove has stopped lighting itself. I'm sure it's the electric igniter, not the gas, since it lights instantly by any other method and otherwise works normally. I already tried cleaning the electrode and reaming out the ignition hole with a paper clip. Is there anything else I can try before calling for service, or are stoves best left to pros in general?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

haveblue posted:

One of the burners on my stove has stopped lighting itself. I'm sure it's the electric igniter, not the gas, since it lights instantly by any other method and otherwise works normally. I already tried cleaning the electrode and reaming out the ignition hole with a paper clip. Is there anything else I can try before calling for service, or are stoves best left to pros in general?

You can check the connection to make sure it hasn't worked loose, but ignitors fail. They are not a big deal to replace on most stoves and you can probably order one quite cheaply. A good place to plug in the model number is appliancepartspros.com. Then get the part number you find there and see if you can get it any cheaper elsewhere.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
You can search troubleshooting for your exact model. Stoves aren't pleasant to disassemble but swapping parts isn't too hard mechanically. It's totally a DIY job in my house because the cost and time of getting a pro out is not worth it to me

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
:stare: Do not look into laser with remaining eye. It's hilarious how yolo people get with lasers. 99% of operating a laser is safety equipment. You must always have wrap-around eye-pro on if the laser can be engaged. Remember things reflect and refract in ways you might not expect. And the filters are rated for certain amount of watts/mm^2 - above that and they are ablative filters which may or may not show signs of ablation.

Plus the gases generated by vaporizing <whatever is under the laser> as has been covered.

Whatever dad does, and I'm glad he understands particulate filtration and the risk of radioactive glazes, remember lasers are a different type of protection.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

haveblue posted:

the igniter likely plugs into something on the stove, so you can likely first try throwing an igniter in it for 5-25 dollars than paying someone 100+ to do the same..
What brand / model of stove is it? Google [Brand Model] Igniter replacement, it may just require a screwdriver and basic know-how.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a GE in the JGBXXX line. I can't find a more specific model number on its body anywhere but I can try to narrow it down from the range the generic manual covers. Probably 5-10 years old

According to the manual it's a "sealed burner" type and there's a warning not to pop off the cooktop. Good to know this could actually be a DIY task, though

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have an over the range, built-in microwave and just noticed that the door is slightly skewed when closed. Maybe 1/8 - 3/16 of an inch at the widest part. I think this is a pretty recent development, as in I noticed it Monday. I didn't notice anything that looked like it was bent or warped, but something mush have changed. Door still closes securely, and stays closed, so is there any danger to operating the microwave?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

haveblue posted:

It's a GE in the JGBXXX line. I can't find a more specific model number on its body anywhere but I can try to narrow it down from the range the generic manual covers. Probably 5-10 years old

https://www.geappliances.com/ge/find-model-serial-number/ranges.htm

It could be in a lot of places, including hidden or behind the stove itself.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Not Wolverine posted:

Shitter's no longer leaking!

A contractor came last Friday and tore poo poo out, then took a sample of the vinyl to work on a rebuild estimate. Yesterday I was finally notified that it would be at least two months before someone to come patch the hole.

Where are you located?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

haveblue posted:

As noted: the igniters do fail. We bought a Kenmore in 1996. The only issue I still have with it is the ignitors failing. They're disappearing from parts bins as well, so I buy what I can get.

To replace it, you'll need to raise the burner surface to get at the sparky end, and possibly remove the back panel on the control head to get at where it plugs in to the piezio unit that fires all of them.They sometimes list each one with a different part number because the leads vary in length dependong on how far they are from the ignitor. I buy the longest ones still available because that one will work on all four.