Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and toriyama just seemed like a good dude too. oda, kubo, and kishimoto all said he went out of his way to personally encourage them and talk to them, even though dude was semi-retired by the point those guys got started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

What terrible news to wake up to. gently caress.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

and toriyama just seemed like a good dude too. oda, kubo, and kishimoto all said he went out of his way to personally encourage them and talk to them, even though dude was semi-retired by the point those guys got started.

I remember there being stories that you could go to his front gate and ask his mother to get him to sign stuff for you if he wasn't too busy lol, yeah he always seemed like a good chap

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

RIP, man…

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

wedgie deliverer posted:

I woke up, read the news, and cried.

Thank you Akira Toriyama for helping make my life a little better.

they want shady posted:

Came here to say thanks Fluffdaddy for doing the needful with the forum name

Same order of events for me.

RIP legend.

In the early/mid 90's, Dragon Ball was such a huge sensation in my country that its very first broadcast happened at "prime hour" (just before dinner, shortly after people got out of work) and some families -- parents and kids -- would even watch it together. It wasn't just a children's phenomenon. Its dub is also famous for being very silly and memeable on purpose and everyone loved it for that, the seriousness and the goofy in equal measure.

It's 30 years later and there's been re-runs every year since in different channels with newer generations discovering DB for the first time. The manga itself only got a local translation in 2005 or so, before that we only had French or Spanish imports, and that version is still selling in libraries right next to modern stuff like Spy x Family or the latest One Piece volume.

We didn't get Dr Slump, or Dragon Quest, or Chrono Trigger here until many years later, but I was fascinated by how much he got around doing other things as I slowly discovered those other non-DB works.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/ayusheknows/status/1765984995334848744?t=tBjohR4Rc4BVAwdYFK61_A&s=19

JSL for DragonBall being a Kamehameha is perfect

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6FUBWGSOIc

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Endorph posted:

toriyama's career is honestly insane. he could have stopped after dr. slump and been an influential and famous author. he could have stopped dragon ball after the piccolo arc and been known worldwide. instead he kept going and it shaped the entire world. dude was a legend.
I don't think I'll experience a bigger anime/manga death (of an individual) for the rest of my life. there are other figures that mean more to me on a personal level, but as far as stature is concerned, only miyazaki would get comparative press in america, but that's different compared to how toriyama's work permeated worldwide

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

I woke up, read the news, and cried.

Thank you Akira Toriyama for helping make my life a little better.

Ya legit haven't cried for a famous person passing ever.

This man made me an anime fan. My best young kid memories is waiting for every new episodes to watch with my brother.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KaroshiMyriad/status/1766027283717030000?s=19

It's not an arena fighter!

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Southern Cassowary posted:

this is a fun question, actually - what are y'alls favorite anime episodes ever?

probably a boring choice but i'll always remember episode 8 of gurren lagann.

Goku and Piccolo driving.

Second place would be Hercule beating the poo poo out of those thugs after killing his puppy.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Episode 3 of Madoka

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

toriyama's career is honestly insane. he could have stopped after dr. slump and been an influential and famous author. he could have stopped dragon ball after the piccolo arc and been known worldwide. instead he kept going and it shaped the entire world. dude was a legend.

And that's just the manga side, on the video game side he's just as influential a character designer as well. His slime design from Dragon Quest is one of the all time character designs that influences RPG character design to this day. Just a legend in both fields

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I have seen episode 4 of the first Lupin tv series at least a dozen times. Always a thrill to watch Lupin get caught and spend a full year on his prison break plan and it's great how Jigen keeps messing with Fujiko in the meantime. It's a classic ep for a reason.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wait he spent a whole year in that prison cell? All I remember of that episode is him mocking the guards laugh and then breaking out by stealing the guy's beard.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait he spent a whole year in that prison cell? All I remember of that episode is him mocking the guards laugh and then breaking out by stealing the guy's beard.

Yea they mention he's been there a year and you see the seasons pass by too. It's a hoot because it means that Zenigata spent a full year of his life just hanging out in that prison every day waiting for Lupin to try something.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

Wish for a srpg with hxh characters

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Dragon Ball being so good and popular is the whole reason YTV even got any anime when I was a kid. My mom liked the show enough herself to let my brother and I stay up late on school nights to watch it (until it moved to the after school slot). Add onto that DQ and Chrono Trigger and its like a good chunk of my childhood was being immersed in that mans art.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

I never read Dr.Slump but read a few chapters last night.

the first chapters was a banger with great jokes, and wow @ the art. 1980?!

Can see now how the first parts of Dragonball followed suit as a gag manga for a while.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Thankfully, it's not too busy a day at the office, so I just re-read the final volume of Dr Slump.

The final pages feel pertinent:

Good bye, sensei.

If you never got a chance to check on Dr Slump, give it a read. It's funny, cute, and also weird.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Dragon Ball was the very first anime I ever remember seeing on TV and now here I am posting in VEGETA.

Not much I can say that hasn't been said, but I did want to say as someone that only ever played Dragon Quest 11 somewhat recently, I was so charmed at how Toriyama is absolutely just incredibe at coming up with creature designs. And that's something that passed on so clearly to Oda, as well. They're both so good at drawing weird little guys!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

this is a fun question, actually - what are y'alls favorite anime episodes ever?

I'd have to think long and hard about all of my absolute favorites, but one that I always come back to is episode 12 of Bakemonogatari (Araragi and Senjougahara's first date). It's just such a touching and sweet episode, not to mention the humor in the first half with them in the car with her father driving them is top notch.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Furnaceface posted:

Dragon Ball being so good and popular is the whole reason YTV even got any anime when I was a kid. My mom liked the show enough herself to let my brother and I stay up late on school nights to watch it (until it moved to the after school slot). Add onto that DQ and Chrono Trigger and its like a good chunk of my childhood was being immersed in that mans art.

sailor moon (1995) and pokemon (1998) predated dbz on ytv (1999); you may be remembering when teletoon had dbz on at midnight. I had much the same experience as you; didn’t know how good I had it getting chrono trigger (and final fantasy 6) from the pawn shop for $15 apiece in 1999. rip to a seminal king.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Technically this list isn't all anime but bear with me, if it fits in this subforum it ought to fit here.

Turn A Gundam E1, Loran and the scouts land on Earth, it's such a Ghibli-esque introduction to a beautiful world before the threat of war ever loomed its head.

Turn A Gundam E21, Dianna volunteers at the field hospital and Loran helps her with the laundry, creating the most iconic shot in the series.

Turn A Gundam E50, the last episode, specifically the denouement, as vignettes into the lives of the characters give us closure. Sometimes I just rewatch this half of this episode. Sometimes I just want to take a peek into the happiness they fought for. And the fact that it's set to the second ED, Moon, is just perfect. Turn A Gundam is incredibly idiosyncratic in the context of the broader Gundam franchise but an utterly beautiful work of art on multiple levels.

Thunderbolt Fantasy S1 E12, the protagonist Shang Bu Huan is finally properly introduced. What's the deal with Shang Bu Huan? He's been saying it this entire time, it just took an entire season for anyone besides Vape Wizard to believe him.

Neon Genesis Evangelion E4, where Shinji runs away from home. As a teen I didn't really enjoy its contemplative pacing on a first watch but it still managed to stick with me, for years, until I realized that was because it was a drat good episode. That was about when I first started to appreciate the craft of film making.

Macross Frontier E20, Sheryl Nome's finest hour, winning the hearts of every member of the audience, including her love rival's own VA. The episode was already memorable, but knowing the tidbit that Ranka's voice actress was rooting for Sheryl too ensured it was going to live in my head rent free for as long as there's room. As well it should.

One Piece E1015, Yamato's realization and Luffy reaches the rooftop. Just speaking on a purely cinematographic level, this was top-notch. I've shown this to people who haven't read One Piece, blind, and managed to convince at least one person to check out the manga. They're caught up by the way.

Kamen Rider Kuuga E48 and 49, "Kuuga" and "Yusuke." Of all the KRs I've seen, Kuuga's ending was the most moving. The series always felt like it was directed more like a primetime character drama than a kid's Sunday morning superhero show and those sensibilities really paid off. The second to last episode, on the night before confronting the last and most dangerous of the spree killers, Yusuke visits every single one of his friends and loved ones to tell them goodbye. It's quiet, subdued, and moody with a strong sense of finality, leading up to an incredibly raw and restrained climactic battle. In the last episode, we see Yusuke's loved ones talking with each other about the impact he's had on their lives and what he meant to them. It's equally quiet and subdued, but cozy, peaceful, and optimistic. The two episodes compliment each other to such a degree I can't help but consider them two halves of one whole finale.

Runa fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

panko posted:

sailor moon (1995) and pokemon (1998) predated dbz on ytv (1999); you may be remembering when teletoon had dbz on at midnight. I had much the same experience as you; didn’t know how good I had it getting chrono trigger (and final fantasy 6) from the pawn shop for $15 apiece in 1999. rip to a seminal king.

For the dub, yes. Dragon Ball as a series predates both of those however (the manga started in 1984)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 8, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
YTV definitely played DBZ around 1999. There was a commercial that played the song "La donna è mobile" over various scenes of DBZ screams that is permanently seared into my brain.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Larryb posted:

Dragon Ball as a series predates both of those however (the manga started in 1985)

you are fortunate I have sworn to peace on this day of mourning otherwise I would have special beam cannon’d you to hfil for your lack of reading comprehension

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

panko posted:

you are fortunate I have sworn to peace on this day of mourning otherwise I would have special beam cannon’d you to hfil for your lack of reading comprehension

No I got what you meant (hence why I said “as a series”)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

he's right

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

probably a boring choice but i'll always remember episode 8 of gurren lagann.

either episode 10 of tamako market or episode 21 of hyouka

they are kinda similar in a way thinking about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Larryb posted:

Dragon Ball as a series predates both of those however (the manga started in 1985)

No, Dragon Ball ended in 1995.

It started in 1984.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

No, Dragon Ball ended in 1995.

It started in 1984.

Whoops, didn’t read the wiki description that closely. You’re right

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Sakurazuka posted:

Episode 3 of Madoka

yeah that's a memorable one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Sailor Moon was the first big anime hit for YTV in Canada as they gave it an actual good time slot and it did good ratings. As others have said Teletoon had Dragonball Z and it's time slot didn't give it much of a chance. YTV than got it and gave it a good time slot and it did well!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could be misremembering but didn't Sailor Moon play on Global at some point before YTV picked it up? We had two TVs in the house and only one of them had satellite but I remember watching Sailor Moon with early morning cartoons on the TV that only got local stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
legendary episodes for me off the top of my head

episode 19 of Rahxephon

episode 3 of Gun x Sword

episode 18 of Evangelion

episodes 3, 8, 11, 15, 25, 26, and 27 of Gurren Lagann

that one episode of pokemon where ash says goodbye to butterfree

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
God dammit

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Sailor Moon was the first big anime hit for YTV in Canada as they gave it an actual good time slot and it did good ratings. As others have said Teletoon had Dragonball Z and it's time slot didn't give it much of a chance. YTV than got it and gave it a good time slot and it did well!

This must be what it was because I remember them adding Samurai Pizza Cats to follow DBZ after a few months.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

chrome line posted:

The Utena finale. Someday Together We'll Shine. Nothing compares

wakaba flourishing is my favorite utena episode but the finale is drat close

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

finally I can play Neferpitou