Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Sub-Actuality)

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

apparently i had a key for ADOM available from a humble monthly, dated 2021. key still worked, so i'll try that one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

drat it

9 runes. I didn't think Lom Lobon would be that brutal. there was a pan exit on this floor too. I'd have just tried to steal the rune but I blew my last tele scroll on an escape attempt that landed me in the same room. I only had ice magic lol, I am going to make a point to get translocations on my next melee character. especially with statue form, it owns but its really easy for them to get away.

I think Ashenzari is the way to go up until it, but I definitely could have used some more panic buttons in Pan. I couldn't just break all my rings though. felt good to get this far for the first time in a long time but it sucks to lose so late too

lom lobon is way tougher since they have ice storm and polar vortex now. Maybe the scariest unique except possibly antaeus imo. And I guess ereshkigal

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Was just looking at my ToME profile and trying to work out exactly how deeply depressed I was when I got three Nightmare wins in the space of a week before I worked out that this was roughly when I was prescribed ritalin

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

: Cast a level 9 spell

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i told you tzimtzlum was real...

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I don't think I've ever been to the Spider's Nest before, man that place is awful. lost another promising octopode

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

: Kill a non-rusted Chrome Pyramid without obliterating or nuking it (PLATINUM)

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Stux posted:

goddamn, nice :eyepop:

turn off signatures

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
chrome pyramid not so impossible after taking 21 damage from electrical discharge

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Guess I wasn't ready for the reef. :rip:

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

: Rescue a puppy

ADOM is super-charitable early on. like it's throwing a bunch of monsters at me, but i went with a troll barbarian so i'm bonking everything on the head with a big club. i'm waiting for the hammer to drop when i go to something called Pleasant Grove and it's just filled with dudes that eat your arms.

turn off signatures

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

well i became incredibly sick from eating a kobold corpse. noted that down and i don't know how to not stop being sick but i went to look back and see if anyone said anything

Punished Chuck posted:

It's cool that in ADOM you can eat the corpse of any enemy that leaves one and get a unique message about it like your own little hosed up Dungeon Meshi adventure lol.

But then I got sick from eating a kobold and hadn't recovered when a Floating Eye paralyzed me

lol drat my guy's gonna be making GBS threads kobolds nonstop for my whole run.

turn off signatures

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Stux posted:

King

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

: Unlock three classes or races

: Eat the sandworm queen's heart on Adventure or Permadeath mode

I've played this before but it took till now to really 'get' it. That being said trying to get far enough to unlock some better classes has been annoying. gently caress the worm that walks.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Plebian Parasite posted:

I've played this before but it took till now to really 'get' it. That being said trying to get far enough to unlock some better classes has been annoying. gently caress the worm that walks.

Seeing a Worm that Walks rare is almost always a "get the gently caress out of the zone and come back later" moment for me

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

worst enemy in th game for sure. absolute dogshit

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

worst enemy in th game for sure. absolute dogshit

It's on a par imo with gunslinger rares, which are one of the only enemies who can still oneshot me completely out of nowhere and leave me thinking there was literally nothing I could have done about it

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

The sandwurm dungeon is cool.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

turn off signatures

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

y

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

The Weirdling Beast fight in Tome4 is bullshit

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The book of Larry...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vadun posted:

The Weirdling Beast fight in Tome4 is bullshit

What's your class/level? That one can absolutely catch you out and for some classes the only option is really to go reckless and burst it down asap

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

What's your class/level? That one can absolutely catch you out and for some classes the only option is really to go reckless and burst it down asap

I was a level 21 Dwarf Berserker. Had my Sunder high enough to reliably pop his mana shield and still couldn't do it, had like a 10min stalemate.

Probably could have wandered around and upgraded my weapon to get it, but got mad and tried the Crypt and got smashed by the first random coffin

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol this guy did the crypt

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vadun posted:

I was a level 21 Dwarf Berserker. Had my Sunder high enough to reliably pop his mana shield and still couldn't do it, had like a 10min stalemate.

Probably could have wandered around and upgraded my weapon to get it, but got mad and tried the Crypt and got smashed by the first random coffin

That's not a class that should really struggle with the weird lad but you were really under levelled. I only really go for the fortress when I'm level 25+ but zone order is definitely one of the things ToME doesn't tell you and is actively misleading on.

For the Crypt do you.mean the Dark Crypt (random location, you hear cries of despair or something) or the Last Hope graveyard? The former is the hardest zone in the game and I just don't do it ever. The latter you need to be careful, I lost a character to if a few days ago because if spawned a brawler who as far as I can tell just loving grabbed me and snapped my neck in ultra instinct

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Yeah lost hope Graveyard.

I unlocked the Poison skill tree for Rogues + Archers, the Ogre race and the Brawler class, so at least I have new things to try now

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

super sweet best pal posted:

The book of Larry...

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vadun posted:

Yeah lost hope Graveyard.

I unlocked the Poison skill tree for Rogues + Archers, the Ogre race and the Brawler class, so at least I have new things to try now

Ogres + Brawlers both ftw

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

: Clear either the village dungeon or the druid dungeon
: Enter the Caverns of Chaos

got into the caverns of chaos and made it to the dwarves. sold a bunch of stuff, got hosed up by slimes, then ran back up and started chugging potions to take notes on what they do. "light green potion" blinds you! i walked around a bit, got a critical hit on something, then an alarm sounded and the dwarven shopkeeper bashed my brains in.

also i had like 4 cursed items on by this point. how do you get uncursed because lol.

turn off signatures

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

Holy water usually

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

this

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

So I fought the druid in ADOM and he went down without any trouble. I was still just using the equipment I started with plus the bow+arrow from the tutorial cave. Idk

so I rolled my D6 again and I'm playing Crawl for the rest of the month instead.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I didn't expect Crawl to hit me with an existential crisis today

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

you should have

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Arch Nemesis posted:

you should have

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

DoomRL is fun. On my second ever character I got blown up a few levels down by a giant green archvile so it's an authentic fanmade Doom experience

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

yeah sounds about right

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

: Beat the Game

This was fun, it's a good change of pace to have a RL you can play in one evening. Finding the super shotgun when I was already going towards shotguns made it pretty easy from then on, and I was only playing on the second highest difficulty setting anyway while I learned the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I found a missile launcher and I killed a shambler from Quake. This game doesn't respect the Doom canon at all but my tactical shotgun is making short work of everything