Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo frieren would work much better if after the intro arc the pov character was fern and then you could just show frieren staring off into space sometimes and only get snippets of what shes reminiscing on

at this point himmel has more screentime than 90% of the cast, its kind of hard to evoke that sense of nostalgia and melancholy when he wont go away. and it undermines frierens character when shes pining over the past like a human would even though the whole point is her age has distorted her view of memories and the passage of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imagine a show where the main character constantly has poignant flashbacks to stuff that happened two weeks ago.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The exam fight did manage to introduce some actual concepts and fun characters. It still got notably less interesting once it devolved into a free-for-all array of different mages going "heh... guess you couldn't detect my mana," but it wasn't anywhere near Frieren going "demons are pure evil" and "heh... guess you couldn't detect my mana" in slow motion for four episodes straight.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Endorph posted:

imagine a show where the main character constantly has poignant flashbacks to stuff that happened two weeks ago.

im watching daigo: rescuer in orange right now actually

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

Oh, Persona 5

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

haypliss posted:

I feel like the existence of the Costco thing proves there's a limit to the poignant flashback mode, though I could also point to the Sein flower episode as an actual example of how leaning on one story style can get corny. The variety of the arcs helps the show overall for me. It's not like the battle stuff is even just battles, you've got characters with conflicting philosophies on magic that are explored and stuff like the dungeon tableau that are just nice character/world moments.

And somehow I was so dismissive of this stuff in the manga, which has even less focus on the battles. Guess the anime is good huh.

yeah i'd say if anything that compared to an actual shonen anime the concentration, and more importantly the length, of battles in the frieren 'battle' arcs is really pretty low

im here for it either way, i personally have no problem with either thing frieren is. But I also watch shonen and imo frieren's battles have absolutely nothing on how one note and interminable that poo poo can get

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Endorph posted:

imo frieren would work much better if after the intro arc the pov character was fern and then you could just show frieren staring off into space sometimes and only get snippets of what shes reminiscing on

at this point himmel has more screentime than 90% of the cast, its kind of hard to evoke that sense of nostalgia and melancholy when he wont go away. and it undermines frierens character when shes pining over the past like a human would even though the whole point is her age has distorted her view of memories and the passage of time.

I didn't mind the himmel stuff till the most recent manga arc and than I was like yeah nope, we're flashing back to much. Fern is much more interesting

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think in general i agree frieren relies on the crutch of himmel flashbacks too much, but as someone who was kind of eh on the demon arc i'm enjoying the exam arc. it introduces a lot of neat characters in the mages, fleshes them out fairly effectively and quickly, and gives them a ton of opportunities to interact - all of which play to frieren's strengths as a show. stuff like dedicating an episode to the time between the two tests, or when they do the dungeon how they kind of loiter around at the beginning and psyche themselves up to go in, or come together to figure out how to take out the frieren clone are cool character moments. it was sick when the dwarf mage was like "yeah, sometimes you just gotta throw hands"

i think my only complaint was that the bird test was definitely a bit slow, but this arc does pretty well outside of that, i think.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Endorph posted:

The point is that kinda stuff is starting to hit her more as she goes on this journey experiencing reflections on her prior life, on a life well lived, and from spending all this time w humans in general.

quote:

Erry shounen that exists.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Every arc has worked for me so far, I enjoy seeing these turbonerds flex

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pootybutt posted:

Erry shounen that exists.
frieren is a shonen yes

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i still remember noir

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

noir ftw

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

please he's not a dwarf he's just short

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
he's not even short he's just old

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Pootybutt posted:

The point is that kinda stuff is starting to hit her more as she goes on this journey experiencing reflections on her prior life, on a life well lived, and from spending all this time w humans in general.
yeah that's literally the point of it, that himmel's death made her realize she should cherish every day more.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Pootybutt posted:

Every arc has worked for me so far, I enjoy seeing these turbonerds flex

:emptyquote:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

haypliss posted:

I can easily choose the best anime: Bucchigiri

it rules

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/animetv_jp/status/1767152104093761810?t=2QMoZPk_y-m_ebyc2XG4IA&s=19

Nice

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hope they bring back the same staff. They adapted the hell out of S1.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

The love of her life died before she processed her feelings for him.

I'd flashback every loving minute if that happened to me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Heck yeah. I hope they bring the same staff back, I loved the colour palette they used. Made it look alive despite mostly taking place at night.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Guess I should get around to watching season 1 then. To Hi-Dive!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kwyndig posted:

Now with a functional app!

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

YAYYYYYY!!!!

The manga just finished a month or so ago, so I hope they get to do the whole story.

vvvvvvv

She's on the season announcement graphic, so signs point to yes.

Doodles fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 12, 2024

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't watched season 1 yet but is there gonna be more of the cute detective lady with the glasses

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Doodles posted:

YAYYYYYY!!!!

The manga just finished a month or so ago, so I hope they get to do the whole story.

That depends on if it's 1 cour or 2 cour and how much they rush, I think. There's more than a few plot points that need to be run at beofre they hit the end unless they skip them if they do it all in 1cour.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i think youd need at least two cours to cover the rest of the story, one more cour would not be enough at all even with insane rushing

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

I haven't watched season 1 yet but is there gonna be more of the cute detective lady with the glasses

A lot more. If you expand the picture in the tweet she's costaring on it with Nazuna :cheeky:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

yeah i think youd need at least two cours to cover the rest of the story, one more cour would not be enough at all even with insane rushing

I'm pretty sure you would need 3 cours to cover the rest of the manga, given s1 covered 46 out of 200, and there's like 2 perfect cut off points for a season 2 and a season 3 built into the manga

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Man seven deadly sins is such slop, when's the next ep

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Fairy Tail sequel manga that’s been running for a while is getting an anime adaptation this summer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0znYkbL-V4

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Kwyndig posted:

Watch Dangers in my Heart while you're there!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

these nobles are so stupid in Doctor Elise this week

omg, the theater is on fire! Screw you lady, I'm not listening to you, we're gonna stay here in this burning building and refuse to lay low and just breathe all this nice smoke. Where are my servants!

Also the actors in the play much suck to make such a mistake like this during the fight scene and knocking that candle over.
main character bad luck at full drive this episode

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Larryb posted:

The Fairy Tail sequel manga that’s been running for a while is getting an anime adaptation this summer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=h0znYkbL-V4

I really thought you meant Eden’s Zero with this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Meme Emulator posted:

I really thought you meant Eden’s Zero with this

Eden’s Zero already has an anime that’s at least two seasons in at this point (the manga looks like it’ll be wrapping up before long though given recent events)

Also that’s not a sequel to Fairy Tail, just a case of Mashima copying designs (and in some cases entire characters) from one manga to the next just like he did when going from Rave Master to Fairy Tail.

Speaking of, I wouldn’t mind a RAVE reboot anime that covers the entire manga either come to think of it

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Mar 13, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Metallic Rouge this week feels like the wheels came out from underneath it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I haven't seen it yet but Metallic Rouge already always felt like it was in free fall.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The guy making his pancakes in the background shows just how serious about this everyone is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Arc Hammer posted:

Metallic Rouge this week feels like the wheels came out from underneath it.

i dunno, i thought this episode ruled. i like weird robot families talking about their memories while eating immaculately plated stacks of chocolate bars, or other robot families bonding with each other while fighting and coloring, way more than silly sci fi lore dumps.