Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

flatluigi posted:

god, that changes a lot about the whole debate if they're really not outright retiring "enters the battlefield" and are just using 'enters' when they need the shorthand

take as you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

There's a lot of "Magic is changing and I don't like it" I understand, like Universes Beyond, or the dominant influence of EDH on the game. Them shortening things to Enters is such a simple, completely benign adjustment I'm floored people are fretting over it or spending time finding the one or two edge cases where it might be confusing.

Maybe Orange Fluffy Sheep will correct me, but mildly surprised on a quick glance that all spells with "0: effect" are rules'd enough that you can't already commit infinite crimes with them. En-Kor's all target themselves, and the Enchant Creature's with that all specify that you can only do it once per turn. Gotta be something out there that can commit infinite crimes... might have to bust out R&D's Secret Lair.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

I thought that canonically what was happening is that planeswalkers join your battle with a certain amount of loyalty, not hit points or life total, and when they reach 0 loyalty, they planeswalk away and leave your rear end to die. Wtf??

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

There's a lot of "Magic is changing and I don't like it" I understand, like Universes Beyond, or the dominant influence of EDH on the game. Them shortening things to Enters is such a simple, completely benign adjustment I'm floored people are fretting over it or spending time finding the one or two edge cases where it might be confusing.

Maybe Orange Fluffy Sheep will correct me, but mildly surprised on a quick glance that all spells with "0: effect" are rules'd enough that you can't already commit infinite crimes with them. En-Kor's all target themselves, and the Enchant Creature's with that all specify that you can only do it once per turn. Gotta be something out there that can commit infinite crimes... might have to bust out R&D's Secret Lair.

https://scryfall.com/card/tpr/212/soltari-guerrillas

Spirit Mirror, if you can make them reflections.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

ram dass in hell posted:

I thought that canonically what was happening is that planeswalkers join your battle with a certain amount of loyalty, not hit points or life total, and when they reach 0 loyalty, they planeswalk away and leave your rear end to die. Wtf??

Planeswalking just duplicates you on a new plane and leaves the husk of the body you had on that plane behind. Locals chuck it in the graveyard with the freaky creatures and trinkets and magic spells littered about mtg battles.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

Like, if I'm using Atraxi Warden's Suspend cast, it's plausible to explain how that isn't the creature entering the battlefield, or entering at all; it didn't walk in the door to the battlefield, it's not available to attack or be attacked, it's just flying around outside the place until eventually it's gonna swoop in through the window. But it's now in the play space, it's now visible to everyone, it's performed an action that's now meant that it's actively doing things, it can be interacted with by other cards. How does that not by reasonable standards count as having 'entered play'?

It's funny, I remember when they had to create the term "exile" because it really was confusing how so many things were "Removed from the Game" but actually weren't out of the game

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I was on team "it's fine" until everyone who responded to my post got it wrong.

Khanstant posted:

Isn't this just a problem with your theoretical card design then?

It's not theoretical, I just didn't bother to look it up and used the first one I could think of. https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22enters+the+battlefield+or+is+put+into+a+graveyard%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
It's about seven cards

LifeLynx posted:

I edited my post to account for Hoot's pedantry. Been a long time since I wrote rules .
It's pretty rich calling it pendantry when you were wrong (it also triggers on the battlefield because the whole point of the post was to create ambiguity with enters) and highlight some tiny corner case. Then when called out in it double down to confirm that your post only applies to an incredibly narrow situation and not the most common way it would trigger. Sheesh

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I just chuckle at all this tempting talk because it seems the fan project to keep Netrunner alive, Null Signal Games, has more templating care than this multi-million dollar game franchise sometimes.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's not theoretical, I just didn't bother to look it up and used the first one I could think of. https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3A%22enters+the+battlefield+or+is+put+into+a+graveyard%22&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
It's about seven cards

It's pretty rich calling it pendantry when you were wrong (it also triggers on the battlefield because the whole point of the post was to create ambiguity with enters) and highlight some tiny corner case. Then when called out in it double down to confirm that your post only applies to an incredibly narrow situation and not the most common way it would trigger. Sheesh

"is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" is categorically different from "is put into a graveyard from anywhere".

603.6c "[...]An ability that triggers when a card is put into a certain zone “from anywhere” is never treated as a leaves-the-battlefield ability, even if an object is put into that zone from the battlefield."

--

IIRC, the problem with 'play' was that it referred to the battlefield as a zone and the act of casting a spell or playing a land, so there was ambiguity on when something 'comes into play;.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

"is put into a graveyard from the battlefield" is categorically different from "is put into a graveyard from anywhere".

... and "Enters" means "Enters the battlefield" and therefore triggers on the battlefield.

So I don't see the relevance of what you're saying here.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

djfooboo posted:

I just chuckle at all this tempting talk because it seems the fan project to keep Netrunner alive, Null Signal Games, has more templating care than this multi-million dollar game franchise sometimes.

Are you under the impression that WotC just decided to do this arbitrarily like a dog or ghost would? I bet they thought about it at least a little bit.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

is this too long to be the thread title lmfao

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

HootTheOwl posted:

... and "Enters" means "Enters the battlefield" and therefore triggers on the battlefield.

You specifically said "put into the graveyard from anywhere", which, as mentioned, is very different to "dies" or "put into the graveyard from the battlefield" as mentioned above (603.6c), and is on zero cards.

HootTheOwl posted:

Pop quiz hotshot, where does this card trigger?

quote:

When ~ enters or is put into the graveyard from anywhere, do The Thing.

Did you forget you wrote that, because all your posts afterwards only make sense if you think you wrote "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

'Is put into a graveyard from anywhere' never triggers from the battlefield, so 'Enters or is put into a graveyard from anywhere' triggers from two different locations. Best I can tell there's no precedence for this, and the rules don't speak to it one way or another.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

In my opinion, a big part of the problem is that in MtG nerd circles the problem is ultimately a matter of taste combined with the way it came off as a universal change and not something where they'd return to "enters the battlefield" if it would be a problem. Because when you're at the level of familiarity that someone who posts in an MtG thread has, the question is whether the feel of changing terminology is worth fifteen characters of space on some cards. And if that changed feel doesn't work for, it really doesn't work for you and until we see a critical mass of rules that actually read better on a card because they don't have to say the whole ETB every time the fifteen characters you save in English really don't feel like a meaningful amount.

Don't me wrong, there's a lot you can say to rationalize not liking them, and those reasons may or may not hold up. But there's a lot of taste involved, and you can't argue your way into changing that kind of thing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You specifically said "put into the graveyard from anywhere", which, as mentioned, is very different to "dies" or "put into the graveyard from the battlefield" as mentioned above (603.6c), and is on zero cards.

Did you forget you wrote that, because all your posts afterwards only make sense if you think you wrote "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"
Read the whole thing. Specifically the "enters or" part.

'Is put into a graveyard from anywhere' never triggers from the battlefield, so 'Enters or is put into a graveyard from anywhere' triggers from two different locations. Best I can tell there's no precedence for this, and the rules don't speak to it one way or another.
There you go!
Finally, a correct answer: both

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

OH GOD WHO CARES

The only people complaining about this change are the same people that complained about mana value replacing cmc

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

hoot you are so incredibly loving annoying. take a break please.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

kalel posted:

hoot you are so incredibly loving annoying. take a break please.

What's annoying is all you dipshits lining up to "um actually" me while being just wrong on simple loving levels

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

So what was missing in LifeLynx or ram dass in hell 's answers? Because that's what they were saying.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
"Dies" seems inclusive, rather than exclusive. If the set of permanents that trigger the ability includes creatures or planeswalkers, it's "dies."

My main evidence for this is ability stickers which are placed on nonland permanents.

There are 1018 vintage-legal cards with dies triggers so there's probably a lot of edge cases I could find but good lord I am not paid enough for this.

Anyway my opinion is "enters the battlefield" is a lot more badass than "enters" so this is a bad change. I am glad Legate Lanius was printed before the change.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

So what was missing in LifeLynx or ram dass in hell 's answers? Because that's what they were saying.

The part where they said it would never trigger on the battlefield, the part that they edited out
Sometime else forgot at least discard because they were trying to be cute and list everything

Plus konstant saying it didn't and wouldn't exist

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 10, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

What's the problem here? Ideally they'd say "enter or dies" like that creature you brought up earlier, but they are weird about using the word "dies" IIRC. Artifacts can definitely die, I've had a car die on me and several computers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

The cards you posted aren’t graveyard from anywhere.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

"Dies" seems inclusive, rather than exclusive. If the set of permanents that trigger the ability includes creatures or planeswalkers, it's "dies."

My main evidence for this is ability stickers which are placed on nonland permanents.

There are 1018 vintage-legal cards with dies triggers so there's probably a lot of edge cases I could find but good lord I am not paid enough for this.

Anyway my opinion is "enters the battlefield" is a lot more badass than "enters" so this is a bad change. I am glad Legate Lanius was printed before the change.

'Dies' is legal wording for any permanent, its use or lack thereof is purely stylistic.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

HootTheOwl posted:

The part where they said it would never trigger on the battlefield, the part that they edited out
Sometime else forgot at least discard because they were trying to be cute and list everything

yeah no I immediately answered your little riddle correctly and without editing and then you acted smug for another 2 pages lol

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Silhouette posted:

OH GOD WHO CARES

Particularly given the couple rounds of Thunder Junction spoilers. Set has an Ox Angel!

Ayyy that works. Crime spree here we go. Edit: although does this actually trigger multiple times, or wouldn't it only target the last choice and only when Gorillas connect to a player?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ram dass in hell posted:

yeah no I immediately answered your little riddle correctly and without editing and then you acted smug for another 2 pages lol

This you?

ram dass in hell posted:

When destroyed, milled, counterspelled. Or etb?
Because

HootTheOwl posted:

Why are you all being so dense about this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

HootTheOwl posted:

It did exist, once, and was errataed out. Rukh egg from Arabian Nights.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ram dass in hell posted:

Your 4 conditions were correct, but you left out discard and maybe some others and that's what he's being Hoot about.

edit: lol see?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HootTheOwl posted:

This you?

Because

Why are you all being so dense about this?
Hoot you made up a silly card, worded it weirdly, and are now being antagonistic to the entire thread about it. Consider that you might be the one being dense.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Blood moon is getting banned tomorrow in modern

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Blood moon is getting banned tomorrow in modern

Nah, they unbanning faithless looting and ending this injustice.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Particularly given the couple rounds of Thunder Junction spoilers. Set has an Ox Angel!

Ayyy that works. Crime spree here we go. Edit: although does this actually trigger multiple times, or wouldn't it only target the last choice and only when Gorillas connect to a player?

It targets on activation, you never even have to swing. (and as long as we're being rules nerds, it sets up a replacement effect, not a delayed trigger.)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

Nah, they unbanning faithless looting and ending this injustice.

Having played modern maybe twice in the past two years and being astounded at how busted everything felt then I'm on board for this.

Ban some more elementals too

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Print wasteland into modern in MH3 you cowards.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Wasteland in, rags and w6 out could be fun

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ilmucche posted:

Having played modern maybe twice in the past two years and being astounded at how busted everything felt then I'm on board for this.

Ban some more elementals too

We need a retro reprint of wasteland with the old tempest art.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Sickening posted:

We need a retro reprint of wasteland with the old tempest art.

That would be so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

I'm hoping they reprint Preordain in MH3 and give it new, good art. And maybe a foil retro frame.