Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Forever-athon is now apparently running through every episode (they have) in order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

That movie is so god drat good.

I mean, the episode. The movie is godawful.

"MY SKULL!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

JethroMcB posted:

Just found out that the actors playing Hank and Elaine were real-life brother and sister, which makes that aspect of the film grosser but also more coherent ("Oh, THAT is why they have no chemistry")

Still want to know why Elaine was so poorly dubbed, though.

She ended up being married to the step brother of Jackie Kennedy.
So there's probably video of her actually talking out there, and that would be worth a watch just to see how she sounded.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

JethroMcB posted:

Just found out that the actors playing Hank and Elaine were real-life brother and sister, which makes that aspect of the film grosser but also more coherent ("Oh, THAT is why they have no chemistry")

Still want to know why Elaine was so poorly dubbed, though.

Looking things up in imdb recently I noticed the couple in It Lives By Night were actually married in real life.

Last night watching Women on the Prehistoric Planet on the Foreverathon saw that Linda and Tang played Harry Kim's parents on Star Trek Voyager.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012
I think it's genuinely very sweet that the leads from Space Mutiny were not just already married for nearly ten years before the film, but are still married to this day

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Thought you might like to see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xVAHmP5N48

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Her Dryer posted:

I think it's genuinely very sweet that the leads from Space Mutiny were not just already married for nearly ten years before the film, but are still married to this day

what the heck!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Her Dryer posted:

Apparently she only got the job because Reb Brown suggested it. Also Cameron Mitchell brought along his wife and two of his kids. (His daughter played a Belarian and his son was the "scanty" guy.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently she only got the job because Reb Brown suggested it. Also Cameron Mitchell brought along his wife and two of his kids. (His daughter played a Belarian and his son was the "scanty" guy.)

Was she the one that said "LEAVE."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

muscles like this! posted:

you never heard of the "getting some" clause sir?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An interesting fact is that the Bellerian stuff were reshoots done by David A Prior (Deadly Prey, Future Force) after the edit came in short. Which explains why none of that stuff ever interacted with the main plot.

Also the edit was completely wacky because David Winters was almost dying at the time (he got better) and the movie was edited in his hospital room.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So in Jungle Goddess, the most racist movie since Birth of a Nation, a Mexican woman in blackface is cast as Wanama instead of a black actress because they just wanted an extra racism garnish or what

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

zoux posted:

So in Jungle Goddess, the most racist movie since Birth of a Nation, a Mexican woman in blackface is cast as Wanama instead of a black actress because they just wanted an extra racism garnish or what

Made in 1948.
The first black regular on a TV show wasn't until 1952, the Betty White Show, and they cancelled that for her refusing to stop the guy from appearing again.
So yeah, sign of the times.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

zoux posted:

Final Justice is a really mean movie so it makes sense.

Directed by the guy who did Angel's Revenge!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Davros1 posted:

Directed by the guy who did Angel's Revenge!

Graydon Clark! Who also directed Final Justice and the Rifftrax experiment Stargames.

Foreverathon is airing Lost Continent and the riveting ROCK CLIMBING sequence. The presence of Cesar Romero makes it slightly less painful than DEEP HURTING and Hypno-Helio Static Stasis, but just barely. How did I forget he was in this but remembered that Hugh Beaumont was?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
This guy killed himself when the Edgar Winter Group broke up.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh look, it's Cave Dwellers. With so much Keefe. How much Keefe? Miles O'Keefe.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

These Joel era Japanese movie episodes have a lot of REALLY uncomfortable and borderline racist jokes in them :-/

(and the Mike era episodes aren't much better tbh)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

These Joel era Japanese movie episodes have a lot of REALLY uncomfortable and borderline racist jokes in them :-/

(and the Mike era episodes aren't much better tbh)

I really can’t rewatch those episodes because of this. I think they’ve since argued that they were only mocking the badly done dubs and edits made by the American distributors, but some of those jokes are pretty unfortunately just mid-90s casual racism.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really can’t rewatch those episodes because of this. I think they’ve since argued that they were only mocking the badly done dubs and edits made by the American distributors, but some of those jokes are pretty unfortunately just mid-90s casual racism.

Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They even call themselves out in I think Mighty Jack where they make a bunch of noises and Joel says is that racist? And you the viewer in 2024, say, yes, Joel, that was racist. But Tom Servo in 1991 says, oh, it's fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fezz posted:

They even call themselves out in I think Mighty Jack where they make a bunch of noises and Joel says is that racist? And you the viewer in 2024, say, yes, Joel, that was racist. But Tom Servo in 1991 says, oh, it's fine.

What's a little depressing is they call it out in other movies, too, like in Wild World of Batwoman.

The one I have genuine trouble with is The Incredibly Strange etc. and how they just punch down on that one lady. Like in Horrors of Spider-Island "Babs played fullback for the Lions" is funny but they just go off.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

The one I have genuine trouble with is The Incredibly Strange etc. and how they just punch down on that one lady.

:same:

Say what you will about the new seasons, it's nice that they dialed way down on the bigotry.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

It's also weird that they call it out in movies when they see it, but I guess it's extremely human to be blind to the minor questionable stuff we ourselves are guilty of. And I'm not saying the Best Brains people were racists or anything, just the normal mid-90s in-retrospect-questionable humour. Judging by the reactions Bill had to some of the riffs in Werewolf during the live episode, they themselves know full well how badly some of those jokes come across now.

And loving hell this Catching Trouble short. Yeah let's lionize some loving Florida yahoo who hunts and kills helpless animals. It's fun for the whole family! I do like the running joke that the Florida rear end in a top hat's native pal looks like Emo Phillips.

E: hell yeah this host segment after Catching Trouble.

E2: somehow I always thought Teenage Caveman was an Eegah type movie, but no. It's literally about a caveman that's a teenager. Sure is an idea someone had.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Mar 11, 2024

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Interesting thing is that Ross Hagen apparently was actually a pretty solid conservationist who did a lot to protect wildlife, but since this was the 50s the people making the short decided to emphasize him wrestling cubs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Maxwell Lord posted:

Interesting thing is that Ross Hagen apparently was actually a pretty solid conservationist who did a lot to protect wildlife, but since this was the 50s the people making the short decided to emphasize him wrestling cubs.

Huh, yeah that definitely didn't come across in the short, but good on the guy in that case. And I withdraw my "Florida yahoo".

Also lol at the clean shaven cavemen in Teenage Caveman.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god is this a time travel movie? Or a post-apocalyptic movie?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ross Allen is the Catching Trouble guy. Ross Hagen is the gravel-voiced lead of Sidehackers and Hellcats and a bunch of other lovely films.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

One of my favorite things about Teenage Caveman is it has the same monster costume from Night of the Blood Beast (both released the same year).

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also lol at the clean shaven cavemen in Teenage Caveman.

Well, they're cavemen, but they're not *beatniks*.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bruteman posted:

One of my favorite things about Teenage Caveman is it has the same monster costume from Night of the Blood Beast (both released the same year).

Wait, they were monsters? I was in a work meeting for the final ~20 minutes of the episode so I missed all the plot and was surprised when the cavemen found a book on one of the monsters, and then that book had pictures of ... well, 1940s modern times.

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Well, they're cavemen, but they're not *beatniks*.

True, no red-blooded American caveman would have a beard like some kind of COMMUNIST.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ross Allen is the Catching Trouble guy. Ross Hagen is the gravel-voiced lead of Sidehackers and Hellcats and a bunch of other lovely films.

Ross Hagen also went on to doing the voice for retired gunslinger Landon Ricketts in Red Dead Redemption. Was actually the last role he did in anything before passing away in 2011.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Wait, they were monsters? I was in a work meeting for the final ~20 minutes of the episode so I missed all the plot and was surprised when the cavemen found a book on one of the monsters, and then that book had pictures of ... well, 1940s modern times

It was a pre-nuke scientist in protective gear (the guy narrating at the end) that 1) failed to protect him from getting irritated, hence the radioactive death touch and 2) also conveniently and unnaturally prolonged his life as long as he wore it. Hence, a monster in the eyes of the cavemen.

Yeah, it's a bit weird. It was just funny to me when I watched Blood Beast and was like "oh hey it's the protective suit from Teenage Caveman."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

In something I learned today, the Director of Photography for Touch of Satan also did Blade Runner. That's on the level of the same guy doing Cool as Ice, becoming Spielberg's go-to guy going on to do and Schindler's List, etc.

The DP on Angel’s Revenge went on to do all three Back to the Future movies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing (1982), Apollo 13 and Jurassic Park. (Also Road House.)

Immediately before Angel’s Revenge, he was DP on the original Halloween.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Half of Hollywood got their start under Corman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

The DP on Angel’s Revenge went on to do all three Back to the Future movies, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing (1982), Apollo 13 and Jurassic Park. (Also Road House.)

Immediately before Angel’s Revenge, he was DP on the original Halloween.

That was Dean Cundey? Good lord.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

zoux posted:

Half of Hollywood got their start under Corman.

John Williams' first film score? Daddy-O.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Love the opening bit with Screaming Skull and Pearl's elaborate (and costly) penguin costume prank.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So at the end of this chronological watch they release Switch 2, Silking and a new season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

THE HIGH COURT MAY WELL SENTENCE YOU TO TOR-CHA