Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
My hot take is that from a pure acting POV emma stone deserved it over lily gldstone even if KOTFM is 100% better than poor things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

It's really cool that Yorgos Lanthimos has had two films in a row nominated for Best Picture. Friendship with Colin Farrell ended, new best friend Emma Stone lol. Never would have imagined he'd go this far after Lobster/Sacred Deer, both of which I absolutely love.

That being said I wonder if the streak will be snapped now that his next film once again will stem from his own written story as opposed to the last two being adapted ones.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Vintersorg posted:

Killers is infinitely better paced than Oppenheimer which just loving meanders up to the point I turned it off (1.5 hrs or so).

Killers felt like a 2 hour movie to me; Oppenheimer felt like every single minute of its runtime

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure Killers was 8 hours long I dunno what y'all were watching

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I interpreted the Strauss plotline as less about having a villain per se and more about attempting to garner some sympathy for Oppenheimer. It's easier to dismiss him as unfaithful or irresponsible if he wins the atomic race, feels guilty about Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and the movie ends soon after. By showing his long fall, its roots in a petty animus (as depicted, at least), and its delivery through backroom bureaucracy, there's more to wrangle with than one dude's conscience. Whether that's effective or important is, of course, each viewer's call.

Really I'm glad RDJ finally won. I feel like a lot of folks take his ability for granted; he's consistently been good-to-excellent across a wide range of roles for decades. Took me a second to recognize him as Strauss. He basically disappears into the role.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

My hot take is that from a pure acting POV emma stone deserved it over lily gldstone even if KOTFM is 100% better than poor things

mines is huller was best in category

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

And would've been the best in the Supporting category too had she been nominated.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Most movies should be an hour and a half

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Huller was so goddamn good in both those movies. Her role in Anatomy of a Fall was really something else.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Sorry Oppy haters, clearly you were wrong.

No but really let's just come together and trash Maestro.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The guy who played the district attorney in Anatomy should've been nominated as well. He was an even better villain than RDJ.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Society of the Snow not being nominated for Sound is puzzling to me, that's my only critique of this year's Oscars. Maybe snubbed because it's Netflix? Foreign? Both?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Maestro was a misstro for me

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Maestro was a misstro for me

I got bored and turned it off.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

smoobles posted:

Society of the Snow not being nominated for Sound is puzzling to me, that's my only critique of this year's Oscars. Maybe snubbed because it's Netflix? Foreign? Both?

Netflix got a bunch of Oscars for All Quiet last year so that can't be it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I do think there's something genuinely compelling about Maestro focusing more on the marriage than the successes, on absurd things like a Snoopy parade float placed next to a deteriorating relationship.

But I'm also sick of Cooper, make something that's not about tragic rich fuckos challenge.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

checkplease posted:

Sorry Oppy haters, clearly you were wrong.

No but really let's just come together and trash Maestro.

Only Best Picture nominee I didn't see. Can't believe Cooper put on an enormous fake schnoz to play a Jewish guy who didn't even really have all that big a nose

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

It was bullshit that Maestro didn’t even touch on his tutelage of Lydia Tár

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

It was bullshit that Maestro didn’t even touch on his tutelage of Lydia Tár

That's why it was delayed. Cooper had to cut everything Tar related after the whole scandal happened

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Does anybody else feel like the pendulum is starting to swing the other way when it comes to “woke culture”?

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Wizard Master posted:

Does anybody else feel like the pendulum is starting to swing the other way when it comes to “woke culture”?

What

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

how so

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
They Bosemanned themselves moving Actress back to after Director.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

randomly put on zodiac, not really related, but it has RDJ before he was iron man and he does a really good job in his role. also mark ruffalo (hulk) and jake gyllenhaal (mysterio) lol. both rdj and ruffalo nominated for acting oscars this year almost 20 years later and after they escaped the marvel orbit.

shame it didn't get nominated for anything, it's a fantastic movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ShoogaSlim posted:

both rdj and ruffalo nominated for acting oscars this year almost 20 years later and after they escaped the marvel orbit.

Johansson got two nominations in the same year.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Wizard Master posted:

wizard master

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

wizard master

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
drat I didn't realize that Johnathan Glazer directed the Virtual Insanity, Karma Police and Live with Me music videos. What a loving baller.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

:lol: Al Pacino up there like it was me on 5 back to back vodka tonics preserving the tradition of loving up the most important moment of the night

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just incredible after the embarrassment of the La La Land/Moonlight year they would just let a dude of his age up on stage completely unsupervised with the most important task of the night.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just incredible after the embarrassment of the La La Land/Moonlight year they would just let a dude of his age up on stage completely unsupervised with the most important task of the night.
I still maintain he wasn’t announcing Oppenheimer as the winner, just saying he wanted it to win. If it hadn’t actually win, poo poo woulda got real funny again.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

mcmagic posted:

drat I didn't realize that Johnathan Glazer directed the Virtual Insanity, Karma Police and Live with Me music videos. What a loving baller.

Not to mention a reoccuring role on Parks and Rec as councilman Jamm.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I guess Nolan was finally rewarded for his “get your asses back in the theater” campaign

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

A real pity that kotfm didn't get more recognition, although I don't think that the Emma Stone win is unjustified. Should have put Gladstone into supporting, there would have been complaints about category fraud but sometimes you've got to be ruthless to win.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wizard Master posted:

100%

People finally woke up and realized Godzilla owns

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oppie deserved to win bc I enjoyed it. Thank you and god bless

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

distortion park posted:

A real pity that kotfm didn't get more recognition, although I don't think that the Emma Stone win is unjustified. Should have put Gladstone into supporting, there would have been complaints about category fraud but sometimes you've got to be ruthless to win.

It's definitely a supporting role but the optics of admitting that would have been suboptimal. Shame because she would have easily won in the Supporting category

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

100%

People finally woke up and realized Godzilla owns

Blondes with big boobs too.

Maybe they can be combined somehow

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

mcmagic posted:

When he had Margot Robbie sing into the mic you couldn't hear anything. I guess he was lip syncing lol

At one point he has to fight off laughing and you can hear it in his voice, he sang it.

(~0:40 here https://www.reddit.com/r/Oscars/comments/1bbrbp2/ryan_gosling_performing_im_just_ken_at_the_oscars/ )

The mic was just pretty far away from them.