Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Any goon takes on Argylle? I know I'm rolling the dice watching this one. Movie night with the gang and whatnot.

Hopefully it's at least better than Operation Fortune.

It's Matthew Vaughn's worst movie. I don't agree with the massive hateboner online for him lately, but it's true he's released three stinkers in a row now with the latest being his biggest, so it's very difficult to defend him now that Layer Cake and Kick-rear end are fifteen-twenty years in the rear view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bruh I think Kingsman is great so you’re preaching to the loving choir

It’s because of politics. That’s why people hate Matthew Vaughn

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That's the other thing, people run off the assumption Vaughn is a conservative and then when I try to dig into why it's always some poo poo that they read into his movies. Everything seems to indicate to his politics being as jumbled and unconsidered as most average people's are. I understand the Vaughn hate lately because his whole thing is that he's supposed to be very technically competent and Argylle and The King's Man just aren't, I just remember the days when they were. Watching the oil skating scene in Argylle and the church fight in Kingsman 1 is like night and loving day.

Part of this is because Argylle was heavily reshot and the main twist of the film was originally not a twist at all, just part of its premise, but the other part is casting Bryce Dallas Howard as an action hero, which is on Vaughn as just an inherently horrible idea.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CelticPredator posted:

Bruh I think Kingsman is great so you’re preaching to the loving choir

It’s because of politics. That’s why people hate Matthew Vaughn

Do you mean the politics of his movies or the politics of the movie industry, or are you just saying words to be contrary?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, thanks, looks like Argylle is back on the bench. We watched Death of Stalin and Killer Joe, now those are some cool movies!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Heavy Metal posted:

Director's cut! I listened to the commentary by Tony Scott too, it's just a few mins of cool stuff etc. Doesn't have the alternate ending or anything, and there are also plenty of deleted scenes on the disc that are not put back in. Just an unambiguously better director's cut.

Directors cut doesn’t have Sam Jackson discussing his butt eating proclivities which makes it immediately inferior.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://x.com/jaythechou/status/1766361439051378936?s=20

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

For years I had no clue what an OVA was supposed to be, so I thought people were referring to random anime movies as, like, an egg?

Turns out that was fully accurate.

I don't know how you feel about Jojo but the D'arby the Gambler OVA is loving good by itself and free on YouTube. Watch it now!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/DoXR23BMAvU?si=a6BldEJNlxyz56on

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm rewatching Before the Devil Knows You're Dead. It's still really good, but in kind of a sophomoric way, like I can't really explain it but even for a 2007 movie some of the photography and editing and production design feels really amateur, art film poo poo. But in a good way? Some of the shot angles/camera moves (and that bizarre flashing smash cut to each character's flashback) just feel awkward, you know? It's weirdly charming.

So the director is some cat named Lumet? I realized I've never actually seen any of his other films, though I'm familiar with Serpico (through parodies mostly) and vaguely familiar with the story of Dog Day Afternoon. Are they like this, kind of basic and raw in a way that gets things across? Which one should I watch first?

Ethan Hawke's disguise looks like he's straight out of the music video to Sabotage by the Beastie Boys, and Philip Seymour Hoffman wears these yellow shirts that just accentuate how much he looks like he has high blood pressure. But the cast is stacked and the writing is extremely compelling. Also, Marisa Tomei is a goddess.

Lumet generally maintained a go big or go home type approach over a directing career of about 50 years with pretty uneven results by the back half. I'd say Before The Devil Knows You're Dead was a respite from some of his 90s neo noir stuff which are similarly well cast and interestingly plotted but more riddled with misjudgements. I'd recommend you just dive into his key 70s films, Dog Day Afternoon and Network, which are super bold and offbeat and pretty immediately appealing solid-gold classics, then Serpico. If you're up for it you could then track back to 12 Angry Men and continue through his 60s films, which are largely rock solid (The Hill's especially underrated if you can get a hold of it), and there's still a few others in his later catalogue like The Offence that I'd say are worth seeing. I don't really know every film by him but I wouldn't say I've regretted watching any I have seen, even if a fair few of them seem like they got away from him.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Lumet's got such a weird career, an all-time strange filmography. He debuted with 12 Angry Men, made some of the most intense dramas of the 70s, and then also The Wiz. His Murder on the Orient Express is pretty solid too, Albert Finney pulled out a great Poirot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Air Skwirl posted:

Do you mean the politics of his movies or the politics of the movie industry, or are you just saying words to be contrary?

People hate the politics of kingsman and his last few movies.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

People hate the politics of kingsman and his last few movies.

I haven't seen Kingsman but as I understand it the plot of that movie is that WW1 was the result of Rasputin secretly working with Lenin to undermine England enough to allow for Irish independence.

How can someone get mad at something as politically bizarre as that?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m dumb so idk but it’s more on the first film. No one really cares about the kings man.

Idk if you search kingsman and politics you’ll probably get a few posts that explain it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

But what about the Kings Horses

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wait I thought the first two were Kingsmen and the third was Kingsman

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re all kingsman

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Which Kingsman had the post credits scene where some bad guy reveals both Stalin and Hitler are working for him?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
King's man

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/SLOplays/status/1766480455828754479

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grendels Dad posted:

But JURASSIC WORLD is the JURASSIC WORLD of movies?

Too much dialogue

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also, something I thought while watching Red River but forgot to mention....

I'm 35, just to establish the kind of cartoons and popular culture I grew up with. I remember in cartoons like Jonny Bravo they always had the "Old Prospector" turn up. He was kooky, possibly crazy, doing dances and ranting about "gold in them there hills."

I bring it up because the actor who played Groot - Walter Brennan - sounded exactly like all those parodies. So am I right to assume he's the inspiration for them? His actor, I mean.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Carpet posted:

Which Kingsman had the post credits scene where some bad guy reveals both Stalin and Hitler are working for him?
King Sman

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm 35, just to establish the kind of cartoons and popular culture I grew up with. I remember in cartoons like Jonny Bravo they always had the "Old Prospector" turn up. He was kooky, possibly crazy, doing dances and ranting about "gold in them there hills."

I bring it up because the actor who played Groot - Walter Brennan - sounded exactly like all those parodies. So am I right to assume he's the inspiration for them? His actor, I mean.

Apparently the dude was super duper racist, like to the point that the other old men in westerns in the 50s and 60s were like "wow that guy's really racist, huh?" He apparently celebrated after MLK was assassinated.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched Beyond Dream's Door. Surprisingly watchable! It's a very low budget horror movie that starts with a dream within a dream within a dream sequence, so right off the bat I'm not expecting great stuff. But it actually handles the dream stuff well. It gets dream logic better than a lot of other movies. And it jumps right past the "He's nuts, it's jus a dream!" stuff and establishes early on that the distinction between what is a dream and what is reality isn't very important, which is nice. The monster is goofy looking, but it's fun. It's as good as you could expect from a movie that looks like it only exists in the first place because they were able to film in a college for free when no one was looking.

It's definitely no Winterbeast, but Beyond Dream's Door isn't a bad time. It's that kind of low budget b-horror where there's still the charm of the visible low budget production but it's also verging on being like a good movie in the way that regular movies are good, not so bad it's good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Carpet posted:

Problem is it sounds on paper like it's going for wild and wacky but in practice it comes off as full on horseshoe theory at probably the worst time to be pushing it.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWx7N8gSoY

The Dancing Prospector originates from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, where he was portrayed by Walter Huston.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Commence the jigglin

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watched Spaceman. One of the worst scripts in recent memory but Sandler is still very likeable, and the combo of Max Richter score and Paul Dano's voice was extremely soothing.

Solaris for slow learners

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The Homesman is the finest Western movie no one has ever seen, it will crush your emotions into a coarse powder and it has an amazing ending

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Will be airing DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION tonight over at https://goontu.be/, roughly round 8pm ET.

Critically panned 2009 flick that sank any ambition for live-action anime adaptions for years. Maybe time has been forgiving to it, we'll have to see! RIP Toriyama.

quote:

Following Akira Toriyama's death on March 1, 2024, Justin Chatwin took to social media to send his condolences while also apologizing for the quality of the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s still awful to this day lol

But it’s funny though.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Do the Korean live action instead.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ooo, might make it a double feature with that one after it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SimonChris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pWx7N8gSoY

The Dancing Prospector originates from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, where he was portrayed by Walter Huston.

Huh, he sounds really different from the cartoon/parodied version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_kDQque7Rk&t=260s

Still, thanks for the information.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I watched The Dentist and The Dentist 2.

The Dentist isn't great. There's nowhere near as much or varied dental horror as you'd want and expect from a movie that's clearly trying to coast off that idea. The crazed dentist is the main character, I guess it's supposed to be this horrifying glimpse into insanity or something, but he's nowhere near compelling enough to make it work.

The Dentist 2 continues all the problems of The Dentist but it's longer and has significantly less dental horror. It's just boring. Good on them for getting the actress who played his wife back, it really doesn't seem like the kind of franchise that would bother doing that.

This is one dentist you don't need to see every six months! Or ever!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/RobDenBleyker/status/1767023004775575868?t=VzYCkksaoXiik4mjsRYZzQ&s=19

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I didn’t realize the Oscars were last night. Grats to the winners!! Even if not everyone got to take home the gold, I hope they still had fun and maybe even learnt a thing or two about the magic of the movies!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sounds like someone missed out on Amatocom.com

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Will be airing DRAGONBALL EVOLUTION tonight over at https://goontu.be/, roughly round 8pm ET.

Critically panned 2009 flick that sank any ambition for live-action anime adaptions for years. Maybe time has been forgiving to it, we'll have to see! RIP Toriyama.

DB Evolution is still terrible, but I’m glad it was made because it made Toriyama decide to revive Dragon Ball to get the bad taste out of his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

How old can your actors get before you recast them for a prologue scene where they're in high school? According to the producers of Love at Second Sight/Mon Inconnue the answer is at least "late 30s"

Their deaging technology for this guy is limited to shaving his beard

distortion park fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 11, 2024