Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I guess you could say it's curtains for the Thwaites glacier :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Xaris posted:

i'd love if there was a blog or someone with more dedication than me who cataloged all the new copium-fueled PopSci poo poo from the past 5+ years, it'd be fun to look back over all the stupid poo poo cooked up that's just around the corner!

The thought has crossed my mind

That and a compilation of "faster than expected" headlines from the past 10 years

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
lol “stimulate the Antarctic economy”. good poo poo

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
perhaps painting the curtains white would help

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

RadiRoot posted:

anyone knows offhand what greenhouse gas emissions by year for usa is for 2022 and 2023? hasnt it been going down?

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/annual-co2-emissions-per-country?time=2000..latest&country=~USA

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021

lol at the spike in 1960 from cars and that it took <20 years to have a noticeable effect on the global level

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Even if we managed to cut emissions significantly could you imagine the insane reaction from the public when their sacrifices don't yield immediate results

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Microplastics posted:

Even if we managed to cut emissions significantly could you imagine the insane reaction from the public when their sacrifices don't yield immediate results
the public at large could barely handle COVID precautions when we were stacking bodies in freezers and burying people in mass graves

climate change is it, burned all that ancient daylight for a couple hundred years of partying

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
Continent-sized walls are stupid, I think we should build giant robots to defeat climate change.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
why stop at insulating the arctic? just build a big window around the Earth and put an air conditioning unit in. ez pz

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the democrats will put sunglasses on the planet

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Microplastics posted:

I guess you could say it's curtains for the Thwaites glacier :smug:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Erghh posted:

i watched a documentary about Gobekli-Tepe that went into how people were hunter-gatherers for tens of thousands of years. then tried (and likely failed) to develop proper agriculture for awhile but once it stuck lived like that for thousands of years, along with re-ordering social structures, time use, resource allocation etc. accordingly.

and all i could think of was how we industrialized in less than two centuries and permanently hosed up the planet. like gently caress what a thing to be here to see it o7.

also i could almost buy ssome kind of higher intelligence here because the whole thing kind of screams failed experiment lol lmao.

The End of the Megamachine: A Brief History of a Failing Civilization https://amzn.eu/d/j4ubHVW

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Hoping that we can go back to like 13% global oxygen levels, where forest fires are impossible because there's just not enough atmospheric oxygen for them to spread or whatever the reason is

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I'm going to keep spraying my boost oxygen cans into the atmosphere

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The GBS thread on hard truths with the “hard truth” that the first century of human space travel will be uncomfortable is a window into a wildly different world of expectations for the future— I was reading a lot of them thinking a lot of what was supposed to be bleak was, in my eyes, almost unthinkably optimistic.

So when they are right and all that stuff comes true, I’m going to be well cheerful all the time

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
That one at least sounds true. We are more than 60 years into the first century of human spaceflight and it's been pretty uncomfortable.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hubbert posted:

Continent-sized walls are stupid, I think we should build giant robots to defeat climate change.

we've got a category 4c kaiju incoming

initiate neural handshake

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Samuel Glompers posted:

I will nevervpiss myselfxagain, thanks to the fish bowl i have slid into my pants; a responsible solution, and a handsome bulge,

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

vegetables posted:

The GBS thread on hard truths with the “hard truth” that the first century of human space travel will be uncomfortable is a window into a wildly different world of expectations for the future— I was reading a lot of them thinking a lot of what was supposed to be bleak was, in my eyes, almost unthinkably optimistic.

So when they are right and all that stuff comes true, I’m going to be well cheerful all the time

space travel is the mechanism by which ordinary people can pretend that we can escape the repayment of the debts our civilization has incurred during its time on earth. they try and temper their ridiculous position by claiming that space will be "hard" or "uncomfortable" or "difficult," as if by recognizing these things the premise becomes true rather than just another fantasy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i pretend to escape with drugs

...lots of evidence other people do too

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

bedpan posted:

space travel is the mechanism by which ordinary people can pretend that we can escape the repayment of the debts our civilization has incurred during its time on earth. they try and temper their ridiculous position by claiming that space will be "hard" or "uncomfortable" or "difficult," as if by recognizing these things the premise becomes true rather than just another fantasy

lmaoing at the idea of a sustained presence in space built on top of a collapsing biosphere back home

starving to death with a million extra steps

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

space travel is very much like the lottery but buying a lottery ticket might make you a winner versus dying for elon musk and jeff bezos

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I want even more oxygen so we get giant creatures again.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

lmaoing at the idea of a sustained presence in space built on top of a collapsing biosphere back home

starving to death with a million extra steps

yes but think of the profits that will be realized from starving the spacemen

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Sam Neil laughing gif

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lol lmao

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

it would be cool to live on a spaceship. or so I imagine, I'm sure it would actually suck. depends on how much of a protagonist I'm being in this fantasy

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Now taking bets on the date of the next y-axis extension, I will start us off with the 1:1 on August 21st

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mistermojo posted:

it would be cool to live on a spaceship. or so I imagine, I'm sure it would actually suck. depends on how much of a protagonist I'm being in this fantasy
Spending 100 generations living on a ship which requires a communal mindset to properly operate just to re-invent libertarianism when we get to our destination.

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

lol, y'all right. I'm going to just enjoy crack pingin' in the Children of Men re-enactment while everyone else goes mental over banal gossip poo poo as the world literally burns around them. I loved the BBC Six O'clock News the other day having a segment 15 minutes in that lasted all of 30 seconds about record high global temperatures. That was fifth billing after some cop investigation, the hosed up budget this week, something about the Royals probably, and something about Gaza.

Living the best timeline here, folks. We be blessed.

top headline in sweden is about nato ascension, into someone dying at age 92, to something about terrorism, to royals, to a swedish journalist who got killed in afghanistan way back when(kind of shocking they have this up today considering item #1) to some sports to something else, something about Ukraine into something about Gaza

further down is a short piece on greta thunberg and some activists blocking the entry into parliament, she says they're doing it because of a planetary emergency. police allowed them to remain and redirected to other entryways and said things have been calm and respectful.

lmao

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

mistermojo posted:

If you're curious about this I can recommend the book / audiobook (read by the author even) of Endurance by Scott Kelly. He participated in a 340 day mission on the ISS and has some pretty incredible descriptions of how gross and annoying it was.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
https://www.wired.com/story/astronaut-scott-kelly-explains-how-the-iss-is-like-harris-county-jail/
lmfao i gotta read this book

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Kelly's Endurance was worth reading all on its own because it got me to read Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing which is among the best books I've ever read. It's truly insane and we flat out don't have stories like that anymore where 28 dudes decide to cross Antarctica on foot just to show off how badass they are.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
in the 60s, one of the antarctic research team members had to do an appendectomy on themselves because he was the only doctor for a thousand miles. i could try for the rest of my life and I'll never be that badass as that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I've literally been to Antarctica, it was nice.