Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
King Domino, perfect 5 - 10 minute game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Some Guy TT posted:

its weird to look back in retrospect and think that the sims was originally conceived as just being add on content for simcity 2000 like i cant imagine that computers from that era could have realistically simulated the sort of granular details necessary to have the sims content meaningfully influence the larger simcity landscape

https://twitter.com/itstheshadsy/status/1535292346702745603

maybe it would be possible to do such a game today but the simcity and the sims target consumers are such radically different audiences its hard to imagine who such a project would really appeal to

this looks like it became simtown an early precursor to the sims

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

minus the first person architectural diagrams, which look like they were CAD mockups

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

there are many board games that are simple and accessible for people who don't play a lot of them

Carcassonne was my gateway game and it has proven effective on friends and family

Ticket to Ride too

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

The new Superman movie is going to feature Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, Guy Gardner, Metamorpho, the Authority's Engineer, Maxwell Lord, Supergirl, and also Superman. Front loading? What's that?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Carcassonne was my gateway game and it has proven effective on friends and family

Ticket to Ride too

Check out Railroad Ink, small, very easy to set up, plays in 30 minutes, and you get to draw stuff with a lil dry erase marker instead of collecting lil doo-dads

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Check out Railroad Ink, small, very easy to set up, plays in 30 minutes, and you get to draw stuff with a lil dry erase marker instead of collecting lil doo-dads

poo poo that looks good - I've got my brother hooked on Cartographers and I bet this is right up his alley as well

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Now I'm imagining a hosed up board game parallel to fancy gpus where you can't really experience the true performance of Catan without a $2000 dining room table rig

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Action Jacktion posted:

The new Superman movie is going to feature Hawkgirl, Mr. Terrific, Guy Gardner, Metamorpho, the Authority's Engineer, Maxwell Lord, Supergirl, and also Superman. Front loading? What's that?

clearly the reason all the other dc movies since snyder got canned failed was because they didnt have enough random superheroes in them

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Ticket to Ride too

both these are classics. we also mostly played mysterium, code names, castles of mad king, and a few others just because they’re so easy

I never liked catan much, it’s kinda the monopoly for millennials

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

both these are classics. we also mostly played mysterium, code names, castles of mad king, and a few others just because they’re so easy

I never liked catan much, it’s kinda the monopoly for millennials

Mysterium rules. Mysterium Park is the same game just pared down into its most essential parts.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

and people think i have hysterical takes about poor things!

https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1766982084239786286

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

apologies for the wave of oscarsposting that ended up in the succzone instead of this thread because Clymer commented on it btw

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
she's right. cis straight men simply cannot handle the complex narrative tension of "is will ferrell going to murder barbie??"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
oscar discourse in the pop culture thread: very serious film critics being mad that the director of zone of interest is an antisemite

oscar discourse in the succ zone: very serious political commentators being mad that the academy doesnt love barbie enough

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/Jacquelinemilom/status/1767055365932200364

didn't barbie land revert to the status quo at the end? honestly don't remember

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Mar 11, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i think the academy actually gave way too much consideration for a movie length toy commercial, and it shows you just how hosed the industry is right now that its even in contention

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGySiVLAVd4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i say swears online posted:

didn't barbie land revert to he status quo at the end? honestly don't remember

its literally a boilerplate story circle/heroes journey

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

all movies are extended commercials

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

all movies are extended commercials

really not sure what product three days of the condor is trying to sell me but i believe you

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

baumbach actually wrote those parts

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Barbie is a chud

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Barbie is a chud

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

aw frig aw dang it posted:

Barbie is a chud

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I hope this stuff with peacemaker is just James Gunn taking the piss and that none of it will matter in the slightest. Although if they use it to bring back the actress who played the cop lady from season 1 I'm totally okay with that, because she was great and it's a shame if she's just written out and gone for good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

pissmaker

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i say swears online posted:

https://twitter.com/Jacquelinemilom/status/1767055365932200364

didn't barbie land revert to the status quo at the end? honestly don't remember

yes and I'm pretty sure this is presented as a good thing

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

That isn't a real quote or article.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

I actually love Varlety magazine

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Al! posted:

really not sure what product three days of the condor is trying to sell me but i believe you

condors

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

Now I'm imagining a hosed up board game parallel to fancy gpus where you can't really experience the true performance of Catan without a $2000 dining room table rig

That's Warhammer and to a lesser extent DND (dice goblins lead to thinking it's a reasonably investment to buy one of those dining room tables with a 72 inch touch screen, HDMI and Bluetooth compatibility, and recessed dice trays that can be hidden when not in use)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

My bored game of choice is Richii Mahjong

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Condor timeshare

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

you know what they say, you only "rent" condors ha ha ha ha

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my current favorite board/card game is Fiasco, which is basically just a randomized template for writing a Farce together for 2-4 people. It's insanely good for introducing people to Tabletop Roleplaying Games in general because it has many of the elements of an RPG but made so casual that you could play it with a 7 year old.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Al! posted:

you know what they say, you only "rent" condors ha ha ha ha

if it floats flies or fucks, lease it

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Al! posted:

i think the academy actually gave way too much consideration for a movie length toy commercial, and it shows you just how hosed the industry is right now that its even in contention

yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

It doesn’t matter. Comic Book Cannon always has been and always will be needlessly stupid bullshit that should never be considered but will always be shoved to the forefront at the expense of interesting stories.