Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

zoux posted:

WTF happened to the ACLU

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1767173635419394106

Labor policy has been one of the true bright spots of the Biden admin, it's hard to square this action by the ACLU with their stated values.

This could also have some weird cascading effects in this hyper-polarized government. Wasn't there already a similar case when Trump fired the head of the CFPB back in 2020?

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The White House dropped a fairly sizable tranche of fact sheets this morning. I think this is a good sign the administration is energetically publicizing Biden's accomplishments, which is clearly needed in the face of concerns expressed by several publications that his accomplishments are being underrated by the electorate. This style of fact sheet seems a promising tool to set the record straight.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

mawarannahr posted:

The White House dropped a fairly sizable tranche of fact sheets this morning. I think this is a good sign the administration is energetically publicizing Biden's accomplishments, which is clearly needed in the face of concerns expressed by several publications that his accomplishments are being underrated by the electorate. This style of fact sheet seems a promising tool to set the record straight.

Mostly reasonable and/or good policies, but interesting that he has a plan to make the Medicare HI trust fund permanently solvent, but only has policies to extend Social Security solvency for about 2/3 of the projected discrepancy.

I'm guessing he didn't want to raise taxes even more or had to keep his promise not to raise taxes on anyone making less than $400k, but it does result in a weird policy where:

- Every dollar from $1 to $168k is fully taxed for social security.
- Every dollar from ~$168k through $399.99k is tax-free for social security.
- Every dollar from $400k and up is fully taxed for social security.

And the policy has the basically unstated assumption of "I got you 2/3 of the way there, now it's whoever is President in 2039's problem."

quote:

Millions of Americans have been working their whole lives, paying into Social Security and Medicare with every working day, and want to know that they can count on these programs to be there when they need them. The President’s Budget extends the life of the Medicare Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund permanently and reinforces the President’s commitment to protect Social Security and work with Congress to strengthen the program for the long haul, including by asking the highest-income Americans to pay their fair share—while rejecting all proposals to cut benefits.

The President’s Budget Protects and Strengthens Social Security

Social Security is the bedrock of financial security for American seniors and for millions of Americans with disabilities. As detailed in the President’s Budget, President Biden looks forward to working with Congress to protect and strengthen Social Security, based on these key principles:

No benefit cuts. The President opposes any proposal to cut benefits, as well as proposals to privatize Social Security.

Extending solvency by asking the highest-income Americans to pay their fair share. Currently, middle-class and lower-income Americans pay Social Security taxes on all of their earnings, but higher-income Americans do not. That’s not fair. The President believes that protecting Social Security should start with asking the highest-income Americans to pay their fair share.

Improving financial security for seniors and people with disabilities. The President supports efforts to improve Social Security benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income benefits, for seniors and people with disabilities, especially for those who face the greatest challenges making ends meet.

Ensuring that Americans can access the benefits they’ve earned. The President supports investments in Social Security Administration (SSA) services so that seniors and people with disabilities can access the benefits they’ve earned.

Consistent with the final principle, the Budget invests in staff, information technology, and other improvements at SSA. The Budget would increase SSA’s funding by 9 percent from the 2023 enacted level, which would improve customer service at SSA’s field offices, State disability determination services, and teleservice centers for retirees, and for individuals with disabilities, and their families.

quote:

The President’s Budget extends the life of the Medicare HI trust fund indefinitely, the Medicare Office of the Chief Actuary estimates. It achieves these gains without any benefit cuts—while, in fact, lowering costs for Medicare beneficiaries—by:

Extending Medicare HI trust fund solvency permanently by requiring wealthy people to pay their fair share toward Medicare and reducing prescription drug costs. The Budget extends HI trust fund solvency indefinitely by modestly increasing the Medicare tax rate on incomes above $400,000, closing loopholes in existing Medicare taxes, and directing revenue from the Net Investment Income Tax into the HI Trust Fund as was originally intended.

Current law lets certain wealthy business owners avoid Medicare taxes on some of the profits they get from passthrough businesses. The Budget closes this loophole and raises Medicare tax rates on earned and unearned income from 3.8 percent to 5 percent for those with incomes over $400,000. In addition, the Budget directs an amount equivalent to the savings from its proposed Medicare drug reforms into the HI trust fund.

Lowering out-of-pocket costs and payments to Big Pharma. The Inflation Reduction Act gave Medicare the authority for the first time to negotiate prices for high-cost drugs in order to lower costs for seniors and people with disabilities. Medicare has already begun negotiating for lower prices on drugs to treat everything from diabetes, Crohn’s disease, arthritis, heart disease, cancer, and more. The President’s Budget would build on this progress by giving Medicare additional authority to negotiate down prices for more drugs and start negotiating prices sooner after drugs launch—which would not only save billions of dollars annually for the federal government, but would also save billions of dollars in out-of-pocket costs for consumers each year. It would also cap Medicare Part D cost-sharing on certain generic drugs, such as those used to treat chronic conditions like hypertension and high cholesterol, to $2 per monthly prescription.

The President’s Budget would also lower behavioral health costs by eliminating cost-sharing for three mental health or other behavioral health visits per year and requiring parity between physical and mental health coverage in Medicare.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Jesus III posted:

Man, that seems like an easy comparison between "run a country" or "throw the nation into chaos".

Average voter: Drain the swamp or something

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is just basic middle school election poo poo. One side has all these boring actual plans and ways to do things, the other just promises poo poo until they get elected because that's their only goal.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Thanks. :unsmigghh:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mawarannahr posted:

I've been saying for awhile that this administration has been far too weak at publicizing their successes, and that failure is only magnified by how often they've tried to work behind the scenes rather than overtly. As has been pointed out many times, one of the smartest things Trump did was put his name on the COVID relief checks. People remember that poo poo.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Shooting Blanks posted:

As has been pointed out many times, one of the smartest things Trump did was put his name on the COVID relief checks. People remember that poo poo.

And then he lost.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

His campaign strategy is currently "I was not president in 2020"

https://twitter.com/RNCResearch/status/1767206948913422799

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I've been saying for awhile that this administration has been far too weak at publicizing their successes, and that failure is only magnified by how often they've tried to work behind the scenes rather than overtly. As has been pointed out many times, one of the smartest things Trump did was put his name on the COVID relief checks. People remember that poo poo.

If you click through to the site you'll see there have been over 5000 releases and fact sheets and statements like these, separate from and in addition to press briefings, press releases specific to legislation, and a range of other comms materials, even just on the formal white house page. The administration doesn't control the media.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

If you click through to the site you'll see there have been over 5000 releases and fact sheets and statements like these, separate from and in addition to press briefings, press releases specific to legislation, and a range of other comms materials, even just on the formal white house page. The administration doesn't control the media.

Maybe they should then!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

The analysis concludes that as racial discrimination fades away and the populace loses their religious community ties, non-whites will naturally drift toward the GOP.

I don't think that's a complete analysis or a correct one, but you can't point to the analysis without acknowledging the argument it actually makes.

The argument makes sense in theory, but "as racial discrimination fades away" is carrying a lot of water in a bucket filled with holes.

For example, Muslim voters were considered a reliable conservative voting bloc due to their beliefs, and then something something happened and that changed. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/republicans-muslim-vote-george-w-bush-donald-trump/419481/

So, yes, if you somehow could eliminate the racial aspect you'd have far more minority conservative voters, but that would require a party heavily fueled by racial animosity to change their m.o. entirely.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

People have incredibly short memories and only care about whatever the current drama is. Nobody gives a poo poo about the Biden admin's successes because in general a successful government is boring.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It is odd that the administration’s successes need publicizing. You’d think such a broad swath of major policy achievements would have an obvious effect on people’s lives.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
They do. That's why people personally feel their finances are better.

But they feel the country is doing worse. Sometimes the effects aren't intuitively because of government intervention either. Or local pols take the credit.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Gripweed posted:

It is odd that the administration’s successes need publicizing. You’d think such a broad swath of major policy achievements would have an obvious effect on people’s lives.

In 2022, only ~40% of Americans even remembered that stimulus checks had been sent out under Biden and Trump.

The Trump tax cuts only raised taxes for about 1.5% of Americans in very specific circumstances, but about half of Americans weren't sure if their taxes were higher or lower a year after the tax cuts.

About 1/3 of Republicans in Louisiana think Obama was President during Hurricane Katrina.

People have very short memories.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A lot of the infrastructure things they have accomplished are not the kinds of things that will be immediately noticeable

Then there’s the fact that all of the pandemic social spending things, which were more visible, almost all expired or got cut

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Gripweed posted:

They do, but people either forget or don't even pay attention in the first place.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

If people were good at recognizing when the government is making their lives better, there would probably be a lot less republican presidencies.

Or at least in Canada it sure feels like we see a lot of "well, time to give the other guys a shot, I guess?" sorts of flip-flopping from centrist voters/voting trends.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Gripweed posted:

People blame government for everything bad that happens to them then give themselves credit for anything good that happens.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Gripweed posted:

Today everything was the same and no bad things happened to me. I then went on social media and it told me that everything is the worse and my life is in constant danger. I put on Fox News and it told me that illegal aliens are infesting my country and trying to steal my job. Despite getting a raise at work I feel like I am earning less money and even though I don't understand inflation I am pretty sure it is everywhere and running rampant (at least that is what the meme about common sense Elon Musk posted on X said).

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Madkal posted:

Today everything was the same and no bad things happened to me. I then went on social media and it told me that everything is the worse and my life is in constant danger. I put on Fox News and it told me that illegal aliens are infesting my country and trying to steal my job. Despite getting a raise at work I feel like I am earning less money and even though I don't understand inflation I am pretty sure it is everywhere and running rampant (at least that is what the meme about common sense Elon Musk posted on X said).

Funnily enough some of my conservative relatives are fully aware of many of these things, just that they either manage to totally not credit Biden or outright claim accomplishments as lies or bad things. As many things as they're delusional about, they're certainly under no illusions that Biden just gave up on loan forgiveness after the SCOTUS ruling against the blanket approach, for example.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Killer robot posted:

Funnily enough some of my conservative relatives are fully aware of many of these things, just that they either manage to totally not credit Biden or outright claim accomplishments as lies or bad things. As many things as they're delusional about, they're certainly under no illusions that Biden just gave up on loan forgiveness after the SCOTUS ruling against the blanket approach, for example.

My conservative in laws ride the unemployment system for every penny they can and complain when it runs out, then turn around and complain about any program that increases unemployment benefits. “Can’t believe they stopped paying my unemployment! Probably so they can go pay some illegal immigrants!”

The disconnect is very confusing to watch.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

The argument makes sense in theory, but "as racial discrimination fades away" is carrying a lot of water in a bucket filled with holes.

For example, Muslim voters were considered a reliable conservative voting bloc due to their beliefs, and then something something happened and that changed. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/12/republicans-muslim-vote-george-w-bush-donald-trump/419481/

So, yes, if you somehow could eliminate the racial aspect you'd have far more minority conservative voters, but that would require a party heavily fueled by racial animosity to change their m.o. entirely.

Also, in the twitter thread the guy says that whites are already ideologically sorted, but if racism vanished tomorrow you'd get a ton of white voters defecting to the democrats. They'd probably come out ahead in the exchange, so I look forward to the coming race-blind utopia. Conservatism in the US is, at least among the voters, completely intertwined with racial politics. You can't just add a bunch of minority voters to the party and have everything else remain the same

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

joe football posted:

Also, in the twitter thread the guy says that whites are already ideologically sorted, but if racism vanished tomorrow you'd get a ton of white voters defecting to the democrats. They'd probably come out ahead in the exchange, so I look forward to the coming race-blind utopia. Conservatism in the US is, at least among the voters, completely intertwined with racial politics. You can't just add a bunch of minority voters to the party and have everything else remain the same

If racism (including anti-immigrant) vanished tomorrow you'd absolutely see a whole lot of the lost New Deal coalition roll right in from offscreen like Optimus Prime's trailer to offset the more conservative black and Latino dudes joining like-minded Republicans. Though not all since there are plenty of other culture war issues tied in.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

Automakers are sharing driver's driving habits with insurance companies, allegedly in some cases without the consent of the driver.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They are based on polling crosstabs. Not completely made up, but not the same as the previous data.

The author also admits that his theory could be way off if the racial polling crosstabs don't bear out in 2024 election results.

The author notes that the crosstabs are highly unstable and not necessarily hugely reliable for getting specific numbers, but the trend of more conservative Hispanic and black young voters supporting the GOP seems to be appearing in most polls, so he says that is more solid proof that something is happening.

Just clarifying for context.

Maybe he should have waited to write his article after the election?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Gripweed posted:

People are awful at realizing the impact government has in their lives. They’re also terrible judges of what the government spends money on. It’s one of the few reasons the Republican Party even survives. They exist for the kinds of people who hold up “Keep the government out of Medicare” signs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

People are awful at realizing the impact government has in their lives. They’re also terrible judges of what the government spends money on. It’s one of the few reasons the Republican Party even survives. They exist for the kinds of people who hold up “Keep the government out of Medicare” signs.

When things "work as intended", people don't notice. They only notice when something that's supposed to work doesn't.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

[Leftism] is definitely mainly an economic thing.

Not in my book.

It's about compassion. Looking after people. The economics flows from that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Not in my book.

It's about compassion. Looking after people. The economics flows from that.

Yeah defining leftism in purely economic terms and abandoning things like gay marriage really seems like a losing proposition. Especially for a country that in very authoritarian and controlling like China.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

This notion that minority voters are naturally conservative and would vote more Republican if not for cultural allegiances handed down from the civil rights era ignores the very real likelihood that most of those minority voters are economically more aligned with Democrats still. Socially, they may be anti-abortion, pro-gun, pro jesus, anti-immigration, but economically, with the exception of Cubans in Florida, they like Bernie and the squad and they overwhelmingly vote for those types of democrats in the primaries... and unsurprisingly the neoliberal slugs they have to prop up in the general election don't get the same level of enthusiasm.

If Dems want to prevent that slide they need to look out for the material conditions of their voters.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1767316500132593872

In shocking new the Hur report might just possibly have been written in bad faith in order to get anti-Biden headlines, and Hur is now quitting DoJ so that he can say every stupid thing that Jim Jordan wants him to after preparing with a bunch of Trump associates.

quote:

According to multiple sources familiar with Mr Hur’s plans, the special counsel, who is appearing before the Judiciary Committee at the request of the Republican majority led by Ohio Representative Jim Jordan, has arranged his departure from the Department of Justice to be official as of Monday 11 March, one day before he is scheduled to appear on Capitol Hill.

Instead of appearing as a DOJ employee who is bound by the ethical guidelines which govern the behaviour of federal prosecutors, he will appear as a private citizen with no constraints on his testimony.
In preparing for the hearing, Mr Hur has turned to William Burck, a veteran Washington lawyer with deep ties to the Republican political establishment to serve as his counsel during his testimony before the committee.
During the DOJ probe into Russian interference in the 2016 election led by former FBI director Robert Mueller, Mr Burck represented three Trump White House officials, Mr Trump’s first White House counsel, Don McGahn, his first chief of staff, Reince Priebus, and his 2016 campaign chairman and White House chief strategist, Steve Bannon. And he has served as a board member of the Fox Corporation, operator of the right-wing, Republican-aligned Fox News Channel, since 2021.
The source told The Independent that Mr Hur’s legal team has not been particularly communicative with the Democratic side of the panel during the run-up to the former special counsel’s testimony. Combined with Mr Hur’s decision to seek advice preparing him for testimony from former Trump-era DOJ spokesperson Sarah Isgur, the source said Mr Hur’s appearance has Democrats quite alarmed.

Ms Isgur, who headed the department’s Office of Public Affairs under then-attorney general Jeff Sessions and advised then-deputy attorney general Rod Rosenstein during the Mueller probe, left the department during the final years of the Trump administration and has since been attempting to reinvent herself as a journalist.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
one weird trick to avoid ethical guidelines: quit

does that work for all lawyers or just DOJ prosecutors

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Bodyholes posted:

This notion that minority voters are naturally conservative and would vote more Republican if not for cultural allegiances handed down from the civil rights era ignores the very real likelihood that most of those minority voters are economically more aligned with Democrats still.

It's not saying that everyone who isn't white is naturally conservative, it's saying that "conservative" voters who aren't white are still likely to vote for Democrats.

(the rest of your point could still be true though, like if black people and white people mean different things when they tell pollsters they're conservative)

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

Zotix posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/11/technology/carmakers-driver-tracking-insurance.html

Automakers are sharing driver's driving habits with insurance companies, allegedly in some cases without the consent of the driver.

This deserves more attention and frankly should be outlawed. There are legitimate reasons at various time for even the most cautious driver to speed, brake suddenly or accelerate suddenly. I've been considering a used Bolt myself and if I go that route I'll go out of my way to be sure I don't opt in to any of the "features" that enable this. Whether this belongs in this thread, though, I'm not sure. I presume it's a worldwide phenomenon?

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

one weird trick to avoid ethical guidelines: quit

does that work for all lawyers or just DOJ prosecutors

Robert Mueller left the DOJ at the end of May in 2019 and didn't testify until July of the same year. Was this also a move to avoid ethical guidelines?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

I presume it's a worldwide phenomenon?

If it is, the EU is going to take a chunk out of GM's rear end with the GPDR.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Good question. Did Mueller follow DOJ guidelines during his testimony?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

James Garfield posted:

It's not saying that everyone who isn't white is naturally conservative, it's saying that "conservative" voters who aren't white are still likely to vote for Democrats.

(the rest of your point could still be true though, like if black people and white people mean different things when they tell pollsters they're conservative)

Exactly. It's basically saying that there are lots of voters of color who have pretty conservative views but vote for Dems because the GOP insists on being a white nationalist party. I read a similar article recently (sorry for lack of source, I know I'm supposed to find it but I can't find it in either the New Yorker, the Atlantic or Mother Jones, one of which I found it in) about LGBTQ+ voters who are basically distributed in the middle center-left to center-right for the most part but vote Democratic because the GOP wants to genocide them.