Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think the Berserk 90s anime is actually better than the manga for a buncha reasons:
- The soundtrack, a GOAT wonder
- It does not start with the Griffith God Hand spoiler the way the manga does. I feel like the story flows better this way, there is still enough foreshadowing that something dark and sinister is going to happen, you just don't exactly know what and I feel like it makes you more invested, while in the manga I was often just waiting for the story to move along to the point where the cool thing happens and ended up caring less about the plot in between. (Side note IIRC Miura retrospectively made these chapters a prologue and the first Golden Age chapter into chapter 1 which was absolutely the right call)
- It is much less needlessly obsessed with pedophile dick monsters, casca getting her clothes ripped off all the time, bewbs and noodity because 80s edgy, etc.
- It cuts the grossly detailed tentacle rape and settles for more " " " " " "tasteful" " " " " "ly executed just regular rape.

The only questionable part is cutting the ending where it does, yes there are post-credits scenes and also the first episode showing they somehow survived and it did for sure lead to an unforgettable experience, but I feel cutting it just after guts runs into the night fighting spirits while blinded by rage after waking up and finding caska a vegetable to be a much stronger point to cut it off that does not leave people wondering what the actual gently caress that was.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

anime was right posted:

- wano is really good, honestly. i think its maybe a little too isolated as an arc, as most of the events dont seem to intertwine much with the outside story as foreshadowing or payoff or otherwise, but the length does a lot of service to make luffy go from commander to yonko level in a short period of time
- egghead is peak, so far.

I too feel like Wano was a bit too isolated from the main overall story a bit, especially with how pivotal the overall effects of it were in moving the gears of the narrative forward. Kaido was kept too long of a far away threat prior to then, and once we got there his whole schtick was Incredibly Loud and Upclose from character embellishment cradle to grave. Maybe there was a way to pace out his stage presence so you felt the true weight of himself and his armada throughout the Grand Line, but as of now it was at Zou, Wano and that's about it :shrug:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

White Light posted:

I too feel like Wano was a bit too isolated from the main overall story a bit, especially with how pivotal the overall effects of it were in moving the gears of the narrative forward. Kaido was kept too long of a far away threat prior to then, and once we got there his whole schtick was Incredibly Loud and Upclose from character embellishment cradle to grave. Maybe there was a way to pace out his stage presence so you felt the true weight of himself and his armada throughout the Grand Line, but as of now it was at Zou, Wano and that's about it :shrug:

in retrospect, wano is easily read as the final arc where the straw hats go to an island nation and rescue it from an oppressive regime by beating up the leader, and all of its indulgences and extended sequences are in service of making it a grand denoument for that arc structure

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kild posted:

How tf is garp higher ranked than Luffy
Garp is stronger than Luffy so it makes sense

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked that Kaido was only spoken about for so long. It made it so that when he finally arrived it felt like meeting a living legend

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
My enjoyment of Wano is dragged down somewhat by the narrative apparently expecting me to care a lot more about Oden than I actually did.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Pureauthor posted:

My enjoyment of Wano is dragged down somewhat by the narrative apparently expecting me to care a lot more about Oden than I actually did.

hosed up

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oden is okay but he's no Noland

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Augus posted:

I like anime because it has color and motion and good voice acting and stuff

here, this should keep your entertained for a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJNK4VKeoBM

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Scholtz posted:

looks like poo poo, were the animators dying and needing a recap episode or smth?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Scholtz posted:

disrespectful, the anime owns

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Scholtz posted:

i can’t understand the dialogue, where are the subtitles?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Scholtz posted:

When does he get in the robot

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
a-key-ra is considered a classic

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'm finally getting into the Deep Pirate Lore because Joy Boy has finally come up

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Pureauthor posted:

i suppose symmetrically i can chalk up a ton of my love for the arc by how much i loved oden

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i hope they figure out the secret to hurting the gorosei (who are one person) quickly. i normally don't like Super Ultra Invincible antagonists. kaido did it well because it was framed more as "he's invincible because he's just so loving tough" rather than "yeah we take damage but magic undoes it"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

tbp posted:

i hope they figure out the secret to hurting the gorosei (who are one person) quickly. i normally don't like Super Ultra Invincible antagonists. kaido did it well because it was framed more as "he's invincible because he's just so loving tough" rather than "yeah we take damage but magic undoes it"

I assumed that the regeneration was specific to Saturn rather than something all the Elder Stars could do.

It's possible Saturn's regeneration works like Marco's and runs out if you injure him enough times.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

EVERY SINGLE TIME LUFFY KNOCKS DOWN THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WITH HIS CONQUEROR'S HAKI

ITS SO AWESOME

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

EVERY SINGLE TIME LUFFY KNOCKS DOWN THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE WITH HIS CONQUEROR'S HAKI

ITS SO AWESOME

been saying this

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Terper posted:

Garp is stronger than Luffy so it makes sense

Impossible, Luffy easily knocked out Garp at Marineford with a single punch, and that was before his big training during the time-skip!

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tbp posted:

100% they got someone to use th live forever ability of laws fruit on em so now they live forever. no clue wht the rest of this poo poo is about but I'm here for it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

With all the focus on their weird eyes, Luffy is gonna figure out the key is the ol' comedy eyepoke. The finishing move is pinching their nose with one hand and then bringing your other hand down hard on it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Impossible, Luffy easily knocked out Garp at Marineford with a single punch, and that was before his big training during the time-skip!

well on one hand garp threw it, on the other hand Luffy is the strongest man in the world so :shrug:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Could gear 2 Luffy beat Recoome?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

What power level lets you unlock haki

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

What power level lets you unlock haki

I think it depends on your aptitude for your main color and other circumstances, Luffy’s CoC manifested after Thriller Bark but he was just trying to peacefully end a fight with a giant buffalo, but Coby’s manifested in Marineford when everyone was dying in a war they didn’t fully understand, so duress probably counts for a lot. Same with how Ace/Doflamingo manifested their CoC as children in duress.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

now she's Wimpyhoshi lmao

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
haki is just strength of will. everyone has potential for haki but it only emerges when you have to have it. conquerers haki is main character energy

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make it display.
Robin, Law, Jinbei, Koala, Chopper, Luffy, Corazon, Vivi, Kuma, Carrot

blossommirage fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Mar 12, 2024

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
My friend Josue swears up and down that he got hit by Emperor's Haki once and it took him four seconds to fold instead of instantly. If it were me I could last five seconds, I'm sure.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

MorningMoon posted:

My friend Josue swears up and down that he got hit by Emperor's Haki once and it took him four seconds to fold instead of instantly. If it were me I could last five seconds, I'm sure.

This is like James Bond manga right here, that's cool.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

blossommirage posted:

I'm not smart enough to figure out how to make it display.
Robin, Law, Jinbei, Koala, Chopper, Luffy, Corazon, Vivi, Kuma, Carrot

Mine would be 10 Gaimons.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

MorningMoon posted:

your friend is telling the truth. I know because I'm the one who hit him with the haki

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Incredibly easy quiz. Crazy to see how wrong some people ITT got it.

Man, sorting the characters alphabetically gives you a really rotten Top 10.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

actually most of them are fine.... maybe

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Yeah, it's half pretty good/great. Absalom is just obviously horrible and I don't like Apoo at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Who is Ain

E: oh film z still haven't seen that one

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I was really excited for Apoo when he was introduced because blowing up admirals with song and dance is awesome

And then he did nothing cool from that point onward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The unfortunate reality of Oda being an amazing designer and writer is that not every character in One Piece can be the protagonist