Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

When One Piece is all over it's going to be fascinating to see what people would change about it with the full benefit of hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

In most other shonen the Supernovas would just end up being people Luffy and Zoro have to beat in tournament fights. I like that they came back into the story at various points with different goals and allegiances.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
next chapter gonna be lit
chapter?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
The chapter will be out in ten minutes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Earth minutes or Namekian minutes?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

but I'm not caught up yet...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cat Machine posted:

The unfortunate reality of Oda being an amazing designer and writer is that not every character in One Piece can be the protagonist
Apoo didn't need to be the main character, or even get much story focus. He just needed to do something really flashy and cool, like he did in his intro. And he didn't. It was unfortunate. Definitely biggest drop from potential at Sabaody to how their story turned out.

On the other end I'm not sure if Bege or Bonney were the characters that most vastly outperformed their potential. I loved Bege from his design, but I still didn't expect him to be as amazing as he was during Whole Cake. I guess Bonney is kind of unfair because of her relation to Kuma, who is the best.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess it makes sense to have some Crocodiles and Morias among the Worst Generation, whose dreams were crushed by the Emperors.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I stopped expecting anything from the Supernovas after Oda admitted that he made up them up on the spot, so even the little that Apoo got exceeded my expectations

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

horns = buck teeth in one piece land is also funny to me

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

I stopped expecting anything from the Supernovas after Oda admitted that he made up them up on the spot, so even the little that Apoo got exceeded my expectations

ive always assumed that law and bonney were planned since they have elaborate backstories and law has the D. the rest, sure

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I guess it makes sense to have some Crocodiles and Morias among the Worst Generation, whose dreams were crushed by the Emperors.

I agree, Kid works pretty well.

If only Apoo and Drake could have reached that level.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

jusst got the chapter delivered to my door. check ur mailboxes folks.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Kind of a bizarre take considering how much Oda has expanded the story as he went along compared to his original plan. Law, Bonney, and Bege to a slightly lesser extent have had pretty major roles in post-sabaody arcs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I mean, it’s more that he probably took these character designs and did something with them rather than making new ones wholesale, this is the guy who decided last minute to make the eccentric blue haired assassin a double agent princess of a country being secretly oppressed by a warlord after all.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Warlords were also introduced on the fly :ssh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

When One Piece is all over it's going to be fascinating to see what people would change about it with the full benefit of hindsight.

definitively kill off gin so goons wouldn't talk about him for 2 decades

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Jose posted:

:hmmyes:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Remember when an asteroid ate capone's ship

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i'll read anything he writes so i'm cool with it

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

No Wave posted:

I still really want to know what the gently caress that was. The mother flame?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No Wave posted:

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Jose posted:

You are gonna eat your words when a goon finally cracks it and makes a funny joke about him.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Scrap Dragon posted:

I don't like being negative, but this is a really dumb take.

Do you think he plotted out every chapter of One Piece before chapter one? Stories evolve, and good storytellers can build the next chapter of their story with whatever came before. Oda clearly has a framework and he's got an end point, but the actual meat of the story is always going to be made up on the fly.

Despite appearances to the contrary, Oda is not reporting on real events that only he knows, he's making all of this up. So an element being made up at this point or that point does not matter.

Just look at Bonney. When exactly was that character's story nailed down? Who cares. It was a beautiful story that slotted seamlessly into the wider narrative that Oda has come up with.

If I'm being a bit harsh here it's because this isn't the only time I've seen people come out with takes like this with regards to the Supernovas, and it's just such a terrible way to appreciate Oda's storytelling skill.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I still really want to know what the gently caress that was. The mother flame?
I assume he just had a different concept for how Big Mom would work initially, given that he ended up working for her.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Scrap Dragon posted:

Ive heard a LOT of people say this about the Supernovas but the intention always felt like "Heres some high level pirates, we will probably be seeing more of them in The New World", its not like they had to have a purpose to serve when they were created, they were shown early so that when they show up later we werent going "Uh buh? Where are all these high level pirates coming from"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Urouge is gonna do something. And you know it'll be good.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
he's going to gently caress the mother flame

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

Urouge is gonna do something. And you know it'll be good.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

gently caress this is good.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

just standing there, menacingly

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You just know he's gonna do something cool....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do wish we'd got to see Brook vs. Apoo, purely from the perspective of Brook outperforming an increasingly exasperated Apoo who eventually snaps and uses his special ability to rupture Brook's internal organs. But wait... :yohoho:

:lol:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

This is either new or several years old, equally hilarious either way.

Jerusalem posted:

I do wish we'd got to see Brook vs. Apoo, purely from the perspective of Brook outperforming an increasingly exasperated Apoo who eventually snaps and uses his special ability to rupture Brook's internal organs. But wait... :yohoho:

I assume that's still gonna happen at some point.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I made it, as a funny jape

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Adbot