Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I love Night and Return for very different reasons but Return edges it out just slightly. I realized how much I loved it when I heard it playing in another room one day and I realized through the score alone that I could tell exactly where in the movie it was. It really gets better with every single watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

tar man is the scariest monster of all time

Easily

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Instead she only shows up in the last 10 minutes to destroy the Ghostface then leave

She’s been traveling around the country, killing Ghostfaces.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Return is great but I've never watched any of its sequels, are they worth it? Keeping in mind that I have a very high tolerance for trashy sequels.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Return is great but I've never watched any of its sequels, are they worth it? Keeping in mind that I have a very high tolerance for trashy sequels.

I mean they are worth checking out. 2 is pretty bad, 3 is pretty good but they both have problems and can’t compare to 1.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

3 is surprisingly fun, 2 is decent (and has most of the same cast as the first, playing new characters), the rest are really garbage.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave is one of the greatest movie titles of all time but I haven’t forced myself to watch it yet.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

WeaponX posted:

Return of the Living Dead: Rave to the Grave is one of the greatest movie titles of all time but I haven’t forced myself to watch it yet.

It’s not worth it beyond the title, unless you REALLY wanna a shockingly cheap looking Tarman hitchhiking.

Also Land of the Dead has some major issues but I would have loved to have seen Romero given a massive budget to realize what he was going for. The social commentary is great, Dennis Hopper is great, and the zombies being even more organized and intelligent than Day of the Dead was a very interesting development. It just kinda feels like a rough draft of an AMAZING movie, which is mostly due to studio interference and budget cuts.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

land of the dead has problems but its also completely insane and it owns

This

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

WeaponX posted:

It's not good really but it's better than return of the living dead necropolis

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Return of the Living Dead 2 is such a wildly different movie that it might as well not be in the same series as the rest.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Return of the Living Dead 3 gets really nineties racist in the middle.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Land of the dead is aight. I should definitely rewatch it though. See how my opinion is now that I’ve actually seen dawn of the dead.

I turned it off as a kid bc it was “boring” who knows.

But it’s not boring at all and is amazing

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A Fancy Hat posted:

[Land of the Dead] just kinda feels like a rough draft of an AMAZING movie, which is mostly due to studio interference and budget cuts.

Did the studio really mess with him, or was it just a modest budget to start with? Wikipedia mentioned that Fox was somehow trying to get rights to the franchise by insisting it be titled “Night of the Living Dead” which is why he went with Universal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

Been a Sydney Sweeney defender since day 1, will die a Sydney Sweeney defender

https://twitter.com/fiImgal/status/1763704267867591164

quote:

Sydney Sweeney auditioned for horror film ‘IMMACULATE’ in 2014, but the project never materialised.

Years later, she took on the role of a producer and reached out to the writer, acquired and revised the script, hired a director, found financiers, and sold the film to Neon.

Sydney Sweeney hasn’t let me down yet and never will. Premiere for Immaculate just ended and rave reviews are coming out online, including pointing out giallo influences, and the ending’s amazing (two different friends who went in said Barbarian was the last time a turn got them so hype) :getin:

https://twitter.com/BeyondFest/status/1767782885183144393?s=20

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

david_a posted:

Did the studio really mess with him, or was it just a modest budget to start with? Wikipedia mentioned that Fox was somehow trying to get rights to the franchise by insisting it be titled “Night of the Living Dead” which is why he went with Universal.

I might be totally wrong but I was under the impression they filmed in Canada rather than Pittsburgh because of budget issues. But reading up on it; the budget's actually pretty high (and incredibly high for a Romero movie) so maybe it was more just a case of being smart with that they had?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Either Diary or Survival had a zombie head explode with a bad cg effect and it just made me sad.
Dawn perfected the head explosion decades earlier with a papier-mache head full of dogfood and a shotgun.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Gripweed posted:

She’s been traveling around the country, killing Ghostfaces.

Cold open: A Ghostface is making popcorn when the phone rings. They answer it, and we hear Neve Campbell ask them who the killer was in Scream 1. When they forget Stu Macher was also a killer, the patio lights go up and we see a tied-up Ghostface in a letter jacket.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Day of the Dead was weirdly underrated for a while because people expected even more big zombie horde fighting after the climax of Dawn but instead got a much smaller in scope movie but honestly the nihilistic horror of Day is probably one of the best depictions of an actual apocalypse happening with its constant inescapable dread and despair. Every character in the movie feels like they’re one small turn away from suicide

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 13, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah the younger folks here probably don't remember when the widespread consensus was that Day of the Dead was "the bad one."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I definitely went through that process myself, Night of the Living Dead was always the old black and white classic that played all the time on tv, and Dawn of the Dead was the one that everyone was talking about and recommending. I didn't get around to even seeing Day of the Dead for the first time until college, so it took some years and some rewatches for my opinion of it to really form.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Which is funny cause Land of the Dead was basically made to meet all the then critics of Day and to give people what they said should have been the sequel to Dawn but it resulted in a pretty forgettable movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah the younger folks here probably don't remember when the widespread consensus was that Day of the Dead was "the bad one."

I saw someone talk about the gore on a forum when I was a teen and rented it asap. It was amazing. So yeah I missed this whole era.

However I definitely caught the end of the Halloween 3 is the worst Halloween movie era because I didn’t watch it for a long time and then one day I was like whatever fine. And I loved it

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How could anyone call Bub bad?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I saw someone talk about the gore on a forum when I was a teen and rented it asap. It was amazing. So yeah I missed this whole era.

However I definitely caught the end of the Halloween 3 is the worst Halloween movie era because I didn’t watch it for a long time and then one day I was like whatever fine. And I loved it

Halloween 3 is still a good litmus test. Because anyone who doesn't love that movie doesn't deserve that movie :colbert:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

WeaponX posted:

it has the stupidest premise of all time... a drug that gets you high and makes you a zombie i remember thinking it was really funny in a bad way but that was a long time ago

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I remember back when me and my friends were getting into horror movies (late 90s early aughts) we expected it to be bad based on word of mouth, but instead were like “this rules!”

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I feel like the circles I ran in as a teen up to mid-20s almost no one talked about Day of the Dead, it was all about Dawn really.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I love how cynical and down trodden Land of the Dead is.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Halloween 3 is still a good litmus test. Because anyone who doesn't love that movie doesn't deserve that movie :colbert:

Nobody deserves that movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the best

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Land of the Dead is The Walking Dead done right. I love every bit of that movie down to the butcher zombie who looks like the guy from Whose Line Is It Anyway. It’s Leguizamo’s finest hour.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Two questions:

Is there any chance The First Omen is any good?

Is there a reason we keep trying to make Omen movies? The first one is a classic, but that's about it that's must-watch.

I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Part 2. The death scenes may not be quite up to the caliber of the original (although the trapped under the ice and previously mentioned elevator sequences come awfully close), but there sure are a whole lot of them. I really like the moments where Damien is wrestling with his birthright, too. Plus, Jerry Goldsmith just goes nuts with the Satanic belches and grunts on the soundtrack.

filmcynic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 13, 2024

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

MANDY is still horror, right?

https://i.imgur.com/mGNFdH3.mp4

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

Two questions:

Is there any chance The First Omen is any good?

I thought the trailer was extremely good, so I'm already more hype for it than I expected to be

Speaking of things I'm hype for,

Chris James 2 posted:

I trust my industry friend who said months ago from seeing the film (not a random still shot) that Skarsgaard’s Crow film is good, different from the original, and a new take on the comic

Just like I trust the director of Cam. Going well btw https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/3/4/daniel-goldhabers-faces-of-death-remake-test-screens-

Sometimes it pays to just give things a fair chance

https://twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1767947345725964670?s=20

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm cautiously optimistic about both. The trailer for First Omen looks interesting, and the Crow reboot is such a mad idea that it could well pull it off.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the first omen is good do not watch the remake

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it opening day in theaters. It was not good but it was fun to see it on 6/6/06

It was so weird to me that it was the same movie. Just what is even the point? Anyway I enjoyed the decap scene again like I did in the original. That’s bout it

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

You guys will not believe this… but I have never seen Return of the Living Dead.

I thought I had, but it turns out I was confusing it with a film from the exact same time (Night of the Comet) !!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MrMojok posted:

You guys will not believe this… but I have never seen Return of the Living Dead.

I thought I had, but it turns out I was confusing it with a film from the exact same time (Night of the Comet) !!!

You are legally required to watch the film before posting again.

It's the law!