Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Just finished Society of the Snow. It’s extremely good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Watching The Dark Knight Rises for the first time since it was released. It’s hard to believe, but I dislike it more now than I did then.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Best of the trilogy

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Best of the trilogy

Yeah it’s rough

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

It’s one of the worst cases of “Actually, I don’t need an Editor anymore!” I’ve ever experienced.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Caught Dark Knight in the first time in years and I was floored by just *how much* happens in that movie. The entire back half is just set-piece finale after set-piece finale to the point that by the time there's all those people trapped in the zambonis you're about as exhausted as batman is.

Haven't seen Rises in years, but iirc it tries to do the same thing but doesn't pull it off as well and doesn't have a fun Ledger to fall back on.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I remember the zamboni scene. And I think I'd remember a zamboni scene.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Just started Battle for the Lost Planet. So far, this movie is insanely badass.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Dark Knight definitely feels like it's meant to be exhausting and rattling, given that's the status of pretty much everyone involved at that point.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dark Knight Rises is so good, sorry. It's a deeply silly film.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I like that Catwoman’s in it for absolutely no reason.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TDKR is the only film besides Princess Diaries that I like Hathaway in. Otherwise I find her very distracting.

Hardy's Bane voice is the greatest thing to come out of cinema in the last three thousand years

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Hardy's good at doing silly voices for absolutely no reason. Even when it's not that silly it's often pretty silly.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Bane voice is good because if you're doing a bad impression of it, you're actually getting it exactly right

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
And it gave us a great Bane voice in the Harley cartoon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X men 97 guy got fired before the show came out lol

Wonder what he did

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

what is it with x-men

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Wonder what he did

He had apparently already been fired from The Witcher due to abusive behavior and he also just seems to be a known Piece of Work in general

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He also wrote for Moon Knight and the oft-delayed Blade reboot so it's not like turning in a piece of poo poo script was a deal breaker for his bosses.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

therattle posted:

Fantastic. the avalanche upset me a lot because I vaguely remembered hearing that they come in twos. so the whole time they're struggling through a horror that violently interrupts their poetry slam, most of them are okay, and I'm gritting my teeth because the disaster is not done and oh no less of them are okay

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

therattle posted:

Watched this (thanks thread for being a solid place for answering what-should-i-watch-tonight!), and yeah, real good. Absolutely remarkable true story, which helps, but I really appreciated how blunt and brutal they were with the violence of a plane crash. It's not done up, but it really locks you into the movie very quick and makes you :ohdear: for the survivors. Can't believe how well it juggled the huge cast - even if I don't recall each individual, they were familiar enough that it didn't feel underserved.

Only quirk is that when they're in freezing temps you can't see their breath. But I'm glad they didn't actually freeze the actors to make that happen or CGI it in, so while it took me out of a few scenes, not a serious complaint.

Two months, holy gently caress

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Waffleman_ posted:

He had apparently already been fired from The Witcher due to abusive behavior and he also just seems to be a known Piece of Work in general

Jake busey voice Sounds like quite a guy

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu-Z6iHUoqg

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

A fun fact about Society of the Snow story is that Pope John Paul II personally absolved the survivors for their sins and promised them heaven

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

This is likely true but I give it a little bit of pause because there was that time someone from The Witcher staff tried to cancel Cavil and the allegations amounted to “well no he wasn’t a sex pest he just wanted to take the material seriously and also talk about video games with staff a lot.”

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t think that was someone from the show. I’m gonna bet it was some stupid 20 something who wanted to start poo poo

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, IIRC that was a blind item on Deuxmoi

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What % of blind items are bs, I wonder

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t think that was someone from the show. I’m gonna bet it was some stupid 20 something who wanted to start poo poo

It was literally an astrology podcast iirc.

Lol if he was one of the reasons Cavill left the Witcher because they openly hated the games and books and insisted on making dumb story decisions

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Wonder what he did

Rumor going around right now is it’s because he started an OnlyFans page.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1767604586808774977?s=20

The Movies are back

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The goy with all the gifts

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Beau de Mayo is French for "Mayonnaise Boyfriend"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Pirate Jet posted:

Rumor going around right now is it’s because he started an OnlyFans page.

Thats silly. I’ll have to see how it pans out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's Surf Dracula all over again.

It’s not precisely a Surf Dracula, because the first Wandering Earth movie is like 95% Earth-wandering - right off the bat, exactly as advertised. So it’s a much weirder switcheroo.

That being said, it is mostly just a title problem since the actual plot is about getting rid of the moon. Like, knock it out of orbit! gently caress the moon! (I’m willing to award it big points for multiple implicit references to Space: 1999.) The fully accurate title would have been The Wandering Earth 0: Lunar Exile.

I’d also like people to appreciate how wild the movie gets. The first… I’m gonna say 30 minutes? It’s a near-total nonsequitur about Neuralink cultists (who constitute a major political organization) engaging in a massive battle against the United Nations Earth Government, because they’ve restricted development of the quantum supercomputers that would hypothetically let people upload copies of themselves to a Matrix.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Watched this (thanks thread for being a solid place for answering what-should-i-watch-tonight!), and yeah, real good. Absolutely remarkable true story, which helps, but I really appreciated how blunt and brutal they were with the violence of a plane crash. It's not done up, but it really locks you into the movie very quick and makes you :ohdear: for the survivors. Can't believe how well it juggled the huge cast - even if I don't recall each individual, they were familiar enough that it didn't feel underserved.

Only quirk is that when they're in freezing temps you can't see their breath. But I'm glad they didn't actually freeze the actors to make that happen or CGI it in, so while it took me out of a few scenes, not a serious complaint.

Two months, holy gently caress

Excellent! Very glad that my recommendation was helpful. I hear you re steam from their mouths but I didn't really notice it.

The Peccadillo posted:

A fun fact about Society of the Snow story is that Pope John Paul II personally absolved the survivors for their sins and promised them heaven

That's good to know! As far as I know in Jewish law you can break any law to save your life or another's, except murder and cannibalism

The Peccadillo posted:

Fantastic. the avalanche upset me a lot because I vaguely remembered hearing that they come in twos. so the whole time they're struggling through a horror that violently interrupts their poetry slam, most of them are okay, and I'm gritting my teeth because the disaster is not done and oh no less of them are okay

I wasn't aware of that fact so it hit hard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Saw the new Vim Vendor's film. Pretty good. Made me feel things.

I choose to believe he was growing pot in that purple grow house that was slowly overtaking his upstairs.

Would make a good double feature with Pulse, assuming you can stand long rear end quiet rear end films.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

Saw the new Vim Vendor's film. Pretty good. Made me feel things.

I choose to believe he was growing pot in that purple grow house that was slowly overtaking his upstairs.

Would make a good double feature with Pulse, assuming you can stand long rear end quiet rear end films.

Yeah, I really liked it a lot. The word I use most when describing it is "understated".

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

therattle posted:

I wasn't aware of that fact so it hit hard.

They didn't either! Why would they. Poor bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They already made Violent Night, which is basically Die Hard with Santa Claus.