Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Wonder if there's a issue with Rodgers recovery/political ambitious that hasn't become public yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

mcmagic posted:

https://twitter.com/Jason_OTC/status/1767888952826962374

Something is going on behind the scenes with the jets because they quite obviously aren't trying to win or improve the team.

100%, and everything that has happened thus far this offseason indicates it's something catastrophic. From the exodus of assistant coaches, to Alexander/Hogan getting canned, to the Ulbrich/49ers mutual interest, to the pre-FA leaks that they were not going to be major players.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/bigdaddy19002/status/1767895273248903367

:hmmyes:

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

A pretty funny bit on the Athletic podcast yesterday:

Patriots - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, make sure the cupboard isn't bare and you can develop around your rookie QB
Jets - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they think they're contenders and trying to fill in the obvious holes.
Dolphins & Bills - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they went all in and have to replace expensive guys with guys a rung down now

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Basically “it doesn’t matter what product we put on the field, as long as it covers our optics and firemen Ed’s dumbass is happy”?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Is Mack Hollins just an (even more) off-brand Gabe Davis?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

Kalli posted:

Patriots - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, make sure the cupboard isn't bare and you can develop around your rookie QB
Jets - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they think they're contenders and trying to fill in the obvious holes.
Dolphins & Bills - oh they're signing a bunch of cheap guys, makes sense, they went all in and have to replace expensive guys with guys a rung down now

Nate Tice actually really liked the one iOL signing the Jets have made lol. I don't think NFL pundits are as bewildered by the Jets as Jets fans are.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Basically “it doesn’t matter what product we put on the field, as long as it covers our optics and firemen Ed’s dumbass is happy”?

Whatever it is, I don't think it was the plan. Woody was saying a month ago that they are going to rework the offense this offseason. Rodgers was saying last week that he has at least two more years left. Their total passivity does not align with that messaging. Maybe 4pm today hits and they rework a bunch of deals and get active in the second wave of free agency and the trade market. But it's equally likely that something totally unexpected, Rodgers-related or not, totally upended their plans for the offseason.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kalli posted:

They aren't contenders and they are downgrading from a team that aren't contenders.

Please don't give the Jets 1 cent of money.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

fsif posted:

Is Mack Hollins just an (even more) off-brand Gabe Davis?

I had him in the thread fantasy league :v: Along with Gabe ironically.

He’s not even that level cause there is no potential for the rare Davis 100 yards and a TD game. His ceiling is like 3 catches for 40 yards. He’ll probably matter about as much as Harty did last year except without the punt returns.

Supposedly he is a great club house guy, as I learned desperately googling for reasons to feel good about drafting him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mack Hollins had some great games as a Raider a few years ago. I wish him nothing but success.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

maybe the jets haven't signed anybody because nobody wants to play for a stinky rear end team

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

They aren't contenders and they are downgrading from a team that aren't contenders.

https://twitter.com/NYJ_Matt/status/1767328154002014365?s=20

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hollins is a better player than fantasy guy. He's also less annoying than Davis - he doesn't get open as much or break many big plays, but he generally holds onto the ball when it goes his way

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rodgers was a selling tickets move, not a winning move and they are betting that it works again in 2024.

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Anyone with a 401k in America probably owns Johnson & Johnson stock in an indexed fund.

So in a way, we're all giving Woody Johnson our money.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/DrewfromJersey/status/1767938462072676729?s=20

Nov 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/Dr_Smay21/status/1767575651278577707

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Isn't it a little early for "he's in the best shape of his life!!!!" tweets?

HelloNewman
Aug 8, 2007

When you control the mail, you control information!

Kurgarra Queen posted:

Isn't it a little early for "he's in the best shape of his life!!!!" tweets?

Just think of how even more in shape he’s gonna be with off season prep time

Nov 6, 2002

Maybe Aaron is going to reach his final form and get traded to the Vikings.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Maybe Woody Johnson has terminal cancer. I'm trying to be a little hopeful here.

Nov 6, 2002

e: fake account of course

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Genuine question: what are the moves that Jets fans want Joe Douglas to make (or to have made)?

My sense is that outside of re-signing Bryce Huff, there's not a ton of reasonable, concrete moves they (or really any team) can make this year. They upgraded their backup QB and overpaid for a mediocre OL; I guess that's largely what I would have expected?

Nov 6, 2002

Pretty sure they want a WR2 and better oline play.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

Genuine question: what are the moves that Jets fans want Joe Douglas to make (or to have made)?

My sense is that outside of re-signing Bryce Huff, there's not a ton of reasonable, concrete moves they (or really any team) can make this year. They upgraded their backup QB and overpaid for a mediocre OL; I guess that's largely what I would have expected?

I want them to acquire any good players.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Ok. I'll take it.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1767951429136720015?s=20

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

We are back. The season is saved. Print the shirts.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

The return speaks for itself. The ceiling of how good this OL could be is basically an inch off the ground.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Pretty sure they want a WR2 and better oline play.

So like, shell out a ton of money for Calvin Ridley and Tyron Smith?

Gabe Davis was like legitimately one of the better WRs on the market and we'd have been lolling if the Jets gave him the contracting Jacksonville did.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Getting Moses is fine but they have a lot more work to do obviously.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

The return speaks for itself. The ceiling of how good this OL could be is basically an inch off the ground.
You tend to quote PFF grades and he was their highest graded OL on the Ravens. Why care if it didn't cost a lot? Paying less is better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Diva Cupcake posted:

You tend to quote PFF grades and he was their highest graded OL on the Ravens. Why care if it didn't cost a lot? Paying less is better.

I said it's fine. He's a league average starter so that is an improvement on what they had before.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Why on earth did the Ravens make that trade? Why did no one beat the Jets' offer? His age, I guess?

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I know you are extremely hard to please but this is a goofy take. Moses is a very high-floor player. It's a solid move.

fsif posted:

So like, shell out a ton of money for Calvin Ridley and Tyron Smith?

Gabe Davis was like legitimately one of the better WRs on the market and we'd have been lolling if the Jets gave him the contracting Jacksonville did.

I don't think Tryon Smith is going to get a megadeal because of injury concerns. They should absolutely be in on that if his market is for reasonable money. It would give them flexibility at #10.

For WRs, my expectations weren't really sky high. I don't think they necessarily need or should spend top-dollar to round out the room around Wilson. If you think Wilson is a 1500 yard-type receiver with Rodgers playing (VP run aside lmao), you could have a very good room with two more functional guys (idk, Boyd and Curtis Samuel) or another functional veteran and a draft pick.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I know you are extremely hard to please but this is a goofy take even for you. Moses is a very high-floor player. It's a solid move.

I don't think Tryon Smith is going to get a megadeal because of injury concerns. They should absolutely be in on that if his market is for reasonable money. It would give them flexibility at #10.

For WRs, my expectations weren't really sky high. I don't think they necessarily need or should spend top-dollar to round out the room around Wilson. If you think Wilson is a 1500 yard-type receiver with Rodgers playing (VP run aside lmao), you could have a very good room with two more functional guys (idk, Boyd and Curtis Samuel) or another functional veteran and a draft pick.

We saw Moses here. he was fine. He doesn't have a elite upside by any means. They had a pretty mediocre rushing season with him at RT. Smith is what I'm talking about where there is some amount of upside to actually contend rather than just filling spots with bodies (though he's better than the bodies they brought in at DT or LG) There is a reason the Ravens are moving off these guys, they don't make anything.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 13, 2024

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Great move. Bare bones price for a dude who can start a few games and at worst prove to be a high quality backup / swing tackle

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

We saw Moses here. he was fine. He doesn't have a elite upside by any means. They had a pretty mediocre rushing season with him at RT.
7th highest run block grade of all tackles playing at least 50% of the snaps.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Amy Pole Her posted:

Great move. Bare bones price for a dude who can start a few games and at worst prove to be a high quality backup / swing tackle

If they draft a LT or sign Smith and ALSO sign Bakh then we are starting to talk about a decent line. Big difference between Bakh/Moses as your 2nd/3rd tackle and them as your starters.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

mcmagic posted:

They had a pretty mediocre rushing season with him at RT.

Have you looked at the players on the 2021 Jets offense? This is an insane point.

Amy Pole Her posted:

He is going to start every game. He's an actively good player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1767964470230274307

He was hurt last year and part of a rotation late in the season. The Ravens are a smarter team than the Jets by miles and they are moving off a very team friendly contract for not much. It's at least a worry.