Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lotta misgendering SMG going on. Remember, they’re a non-male chat droid, and droids are in fact people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Droids are clearly people for real though lol

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Every so often I see SMG say something clearly incorrect, like that bit in that last quote about "The Falcon plays dead by shooting off escape pods" which never happens ever, and like pointing that out doesn't detract from the argument so pointing it out would be pointless, but then you get poo poo where people anthropomorphize a movie and SMG will chide you for thinking a movie is alive when people are using that for obvious shorthand and he'll tell you that you have to be accurate and precise and it's always been a frustrating double standard.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Akett posted:

Every so often I see SMG say something clearly incorrect, like that bit in that last quote about "The Falcon plays dead by shooting off escape pods" which never happens ever,

“According to the log, the crew abandoned ship right after takeoff.”

In order to sneak onto the Death Star, Han fakes evidence that the Falcon travelled to Alderaan on autopilot - implying that everyone ditched the ship in its escape pods, and they’re still hiding on or near Jakku. To fake this, Han must have shot off several empty escape pods.

“It must be a decoy, sir. Several of
the escape pods have been jettisoned.

For this ruse to be at all plausible, ships like the Falcon must have very advanced autopilot features - because, depending on how we define “right after takeoff”, this likely includes the whole conflict with the Star Destroyers and the jump to hyperspace. Plus evasive maneuvers when they reach the Death Star.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 8, 2024

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It's 100% the same planet and was probably always intended to be before some hasty rewrites. Much like how Coruscant is destroyed in the film but renamed afterwards.

The Episode 7 concept art book actually provides a loose timeline of this.

In George Lucas' story outline, the Millennium Falcon was going to be in mothballs on Felucia - the bioluminescent jungle planet from Epsiode 3. The junk planet was also something the art department was working on around this time, though it wasn't in the desert - instead, the ships were crashed into water and the debris had to be dredged from the lake.

Then as soon as Abrams finished working on Star Trek Into Darkness and joined the movie full-time, there was an immediate shift in what the art department was working on - suddenly there were new Stormtroopers, new Vader, new Yoda, and the junkyard was suddenly on a desert planet with two suns.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

“According to the log, the crew abandoned ship right after takeoff.”

In order to sneak onto the Death Star, Han fakes evidence that the Falcon travelled to Alderaan on autopilot - implying that everyone ditched the ship in its escape pods, and they’re still hiding on or near Jakku. To fake this, Han must have shot off several empty escape pods.

“It must be a decoy, sir. Several of
the escape pods have been jettisoned.

For this ruse to be at all plausible, ships like the Falcon must have very advanced autopilot features - because, depending on how we define “right after takeoff”, this likely includes the whole conflict with the Star Destroyers and the jump to hyperspace. Plus evasive maneuvers when they reach the Death Star.

Maybe Han just cheaped out and never had em

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

In order to sneak onto the Death Star, Han fakes evidence that the Falcon travelled to Alderaan on autopilot - implying that everyone ditched the ship in its escape pods, and they’re still hiding on or near Jakku.
You see this poo poo? This is how it's done.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

That's actually more explicitly the plan in some of the earlier drafts of the script. Rather than happening upon the Death Star by accident and being sucked in by a tractor beam, the characters actually have a Trojan Horse plan to break in to the fortress. So they make it look like the ship was abandoned and the Empire drags it in as salvage.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It initially appeared that Tatooine was renamed to Jakku after Jabba’s death, but Andor confirms that Jakku has been an alternate name for Tatooine for some time - if not the original name.

The other explanation for the Andor name drop is multiple planets named Jakku, but that’s much more tenuous - like the observation that errors in the TFA galactic map can be explained away by multiple Tatooines and/or alternate universes. The simplest explanation is that Jakku and Tatooine have always been the same planet.

That being said, I will automatically award an A+ grade and Fresh Tomato to any piece of official Star Wars media in which Boba Fett officially renames Tatooine to Jakku in honour of the Tuskens’ original name for the world or something. Make Booka Season 2 about the New Republic illegally dumping old ships there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

It initially appeared that Tatooine was renamed to Jakku after Jabba’s death, but Andor confirms that Jakku has been an alternate name for Tatooine for some time - if not the original name.

The other explanation for the Andor name drop is multiple planets named Jakku, but that’s much more tenuous - like the observation that errors in the TFA galactic map can be explained away by multiple Tatooines and/or alternate universes. The simplest explanation is that Jakku and Tatooine have always been the same planet.

That being said, I will automatically award an A+ grade and Fresh Tomato to any piece of official Star Wars media in which Boba Fett officially renames Tatooine to Jakku in honour of the Tuskens’ original name for the world or something. Make Booka Season 2 about the New Republic illegally dumping old ships there.

Truly you have a fascinating mind.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol does it really? I haven't watched it. Could the Denny's placemats be true?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol does it really? I haven't watched it. Could the Denny's placemats be true?

They name drop Jakku as a planet suspected of Rebel activity, which is the the only time it's been mentioned pre-ANH. It only confirms what SMG is saying if you've already decided that they're the same planet and are working from there.

I'm not getting into that argument again, I'm just saying that no, Andor does not say, "Tatooine, AKA Jakku..."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Jakku is another, slightly bigger Tattooine. Yoda refers to Jakkuvian Luke as the one who could succeed if Luke fails.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Robot Style posted:

The Episode 7 concept art book actually provides a loose timeline of this.

In George Lucas' story outline, the Millennium Falcon was going to be in mothballs on Felucia - the bioluminescent jungle planet from Epsiode 3. The junk planet was also something the art department was working on around this time, though it wasn't in the desert - instead, the ships were crashed into water and the debris had to be dredged from the lake.

Then as soon as Abrams finished working on Star Trek Into Darkness and joined the movie full-time, there was an immediate shift in what the art department was working on - suddenly there were new Stormtroopers, new Vader, new Yoda, and the junkyard was suddenly on a desert planet with two suns.

Bye, Felucia.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The existence of Dantooine (and several more "ooine" planets in the EU) definitely suggests that Tatooine's name is just the galactic equivalent of naming a place Somethington or Somewhereshire, so it seems pretty likely that the native Tuskens had a different name for it before it was colonized.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Robot Style posted:

so it seems pretty likely that the native Tuskens had a different name for it before it was colonized.

They did. It was called ᑐ ᑌ ᑎ ᕮ

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tatooineistan

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Robot Style posted:

The existence of Dantooine (and several more "ooine" planets in the EU) definitely suggests that Tatooine's name is just the galactic equivalent of naming a place Somethington or Somewhereshire, so it seems pretty likely that the native Tuskens had a different name for it before it was colonized.

This is already shown to be the case in Star Wars Episode 1, in which Naboo is the name given to the planet by the colonists. (The colonists are referred to as “The Naboo”, as a contrast to the indigenous Gungans, who are not The Naboo.) So, Naboo implicitly has a Gungan name that’s unknown to us, and we can assume the same of Tatooine.

And, well, whaddaya know - Tatooine does have a second name. How convenient!

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

My desert.

My Tatooine.

My Jakku.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Robot Style posted:

This reminds, I still can't believe all the cool poo poo about Tuskens that came up in like episode 2 of Boba Fett and then that poo poo was just completely dropped

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I think there’s a fun debate as to whether Jakku or Tatooine is the actual real name, or at least a transliteration of it, and of what the impetus was for the name changing. Boba still says Tatooine after he’s gone all in on being a Tusken so that might imply that is the indigenous name, or at least a root like “Tato” is, to which was attached the off-world stem “ooine” (which seems to mean planet). Think Earth becoming known as “Earthooine”. Real life linguistics is full of such funny redundant double words. Mando too is portrayed as “down with” the Tuskens and favors calling it that.
“Jakku” meanwhile we see used by the salvaging community Rey comes from. Who are all recent off world arrivals who are expressly there to loot the recently crashed ships and get out. Contrast to the settlers of the OT and PT who are there to stay. One could imagine the word “Tusk” from Tusk’en i.e “the people of the planet Tusk” got garbled slowly over the centuries into the “Tat” of Tatooine.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Akett posted:

Every so often I see SMG say something clearly incorrect, like that bit in that last quote about "The Falcon plays dead by shooting off escape pods" which never happens ever, and like pointing that out doesn't detract from the argument so pointing it out would be pointless, but then you get poo poo where people anthropomorphize a movie and SMG will chide you for thinking a movie is alive when people are using that for obvious shorthand and he'll tell you that you have to be accurate and precise and it's always been a frustrating double standard.

You gotta relax a little bit friendo, you're taking posting about movies too seriously if you're upset that anyone (or in this instance, yourself lol) is wrong about a given thing. It doesn't matter, use it as learning moment, try to have fun with it etc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re right actually.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In fairness to Akett, my wording in the original quote was ambiguous. While I used “The Falcon” to refer to the ship and its crew as a collective (as one tends to in reality), it’s easy to see how - in the context of that post - I could have been referring purely to the ship’s autopilot.

(Ironically, I didn’t bother to clarify this because there obviously isn’t a scene where the Falcon’s computer ejects the pods. It’s also directly stated in the movie that Han is the one who enacts the fake decoy plan, so I just assumed people got the reference.)

In any case, the actual point was linking the concepts behind Star Wars space combat with poop.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Robot Style posted:

That's actually more explicitly the plan in some of the earlier drafts of the script. Rather than happening upon the Death Star by accident and being sucked in by a tractor beam, the characters actually have a Trojan Horse plan to break in to the fortress. So they make it look like the ship was abandoned and the Empire drags it in as salvage.

That's the source of one of the lines Harrison Ford got mad at and said "you can write this poo poo but you can't say it" iirc, Luke has a line about the defenses being designed around a large scale assault which in the final movie got moved to the briefing on Yavin

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

And of course, the Falcon literally merges with the garbage and sewage to escape from the imperials in Empire.

One might say the Falcon itself *is* poop.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Since the J.J Abrams Star Wars are not George Lucas films and more in line with his Star Trek reboots, I theorize that Jakku is in fact the desert planet Vulcan.

Also, did anyone notice that star trek into darkness and the last Jedi feature an identical weapon called a "dreadnaught?" Or like, there are classes of ships called dreadnaughts that both have a superweapon that is a gun with two barrels. What's up with that?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

2house2fly posted:

That's the source of one of the lines Harrison Ford got mad at and said "you can write this poo poo but you can't say it" iirc, Luke has a line about the defenses being designed around a large scale assault which in the final movie got moved to the briefing on Yavin

Yeah, that was one of Hamill's audition lines - though it's not actually one of Luke's lines. The script they used for the auditions gave all of Ben's lines in the scene to Luke, so Han has a consistent character but Luke oscillates wildly between being a country bumpkin on his first road trip and being a wise veteran who knows the ins-and-outs of the Empire's defenses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isometric Bacon posted:

You know, I'm all but convinced in his theory that Jaaku is actually Tatooine. Because for every practical intent and purpose of why it appears in that film, it is.

That’s what is means

Well one definition of is

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

You know, I'm all but convinced in his theory that Jaaku is actually Tatooine. Because for every practical intent and purpose of why it appears in that film, it is.

same, i was just repeating it as a joke before but its actually really convincing

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
i like star wars

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It's worth noting that Jakkooine is not just an observation that the locations are visually and thematically identical. TFA strongly implies (and TLJ confirms) that Jakku is the location of Luke's Jedi school. It's where R2D2 hid the map to Luke's whereabouts, before shutting down.

"But," you might say, "Luke's Jedi school was built on that mountainous bamboo forest planet! I saw it in Book of Boba Fett!"

Don't worry; the bamboo planet is the first site of Luke's Jedi school, but it was later relocated. The new location has relatively flat, rocky terrain, different architecture, and at least two prominent moons in the sky - one large and one tiny.

(Tatooine technically has three moons - one large and two tiny - but only two are typically visible at a time.)

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 9, 2024

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

two prominent moons in the sky - one large and one tiny.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

i'm 5 hours into this video and the dudes just talked about the lore behind how every single piece of technology in star wars works the whole time. he spent an hour explaining who all the podracers were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlzbfIRRqI

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Mantis42 posted:

i'm 5 hours into this video and the dudes just talked about the lore behind how every single piece of technology in star wars works the whole time. he spent an hour explaining who all the podracers were.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlzbfIRRqI

I’ve played Star Wars: Episode I Racer for dozens of hours. How is it an analysis of the film?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mantis42 posted:

i'm 5 hours into this video

What the

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Mantis42 posted:

i'm 5 hours into this video and

Please practice self-care, comrade.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I’ve played Star Wars: Episode I Racer for dozens of hours.

Weak numbers

Anywho, it's Empire time

https://www.starwars.com/news/imperial-march

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am also a member of the high republic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm a little jealous. I'm allowed to join council meetings but I'm not technically a member.