Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Idk it doesn't seem like an inherently bad idea by itself, just overcomplicated for the use case. However I highly doubt that it is actually built properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I recognize all the reasons to not build one, especially the way that guy did, but I'm a sucker for a cable stayed bridge er...dock I guess.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Canuckistan posted:

I'm no engineer, but I don't think that the front posts will stay true for long.

Why didn't this guy just buy a floating dock? Especially if your private puddle drops 4 feet of water.

my guess is they didn't want to pull their dock on shore every winter, cause ice. i highly doubt this resolves the issue based on their description

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I had a coworker who was retiring down to Tennessee somewhere. The river they were on had some sort of rule or law or something that there could not be a pier put into the water. So the way around that was to put a cable stayed suspension pier out over the water.

The coworker didn’t go through that effort, but just hung out with the neighbors who did.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Even if that water is down a foot or two that dock is still going to be pretty high isn't it? Like the water level can't even rise that high before it overflows and then the first step is going to be at water level.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

wesleywillis posted:

Even if that water is down a foot or two that dock is still going to be pretty high isn't it? Like the water level can't even rise that high before it overflows and then the first step is going to be at water level.

Yeah but the precut stair risers from Home Depot only come in one length so what are ya gonna do?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wheatpuppy posted:

Yeah but the precut stair risers from Home Depot only come in one length so what are ya gonna do?

Well, like I said, I'm not an engineer, but cut two of them off?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
they're waiting for you Gorden, in the test chamber

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm gonna guess the weak link will be the eye bolts. I bet you could break 'em pretty easily by bouncing on the end of the dock at just the right frequency.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Eh, it's a dock. IMO it's an appropriate place to try out some amateur engineering.

It's not very expensive, nothing critical depends on it, so if it breaks, big deal. Make something better.

Credit for a clever design that may have a few unexpected weak points.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Vertical load works out the same whether you have a continuous web going over a dowel or whether you have two lines deadending on an eye. The dowel will be stronger, ofc, but you can just use a big eye.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Needs an indoor skydiving setup for squirrels and GI Joes.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

`Nemesis posted:

they're waiting for you Gorden, in the test chamber

Man, I want to poop there

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

There's nothing better in the summer than a barbecue out on the deck with my bins, AC vent and exposed electrical system.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Where do you see exposed electrical systems?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I thought that grey thing on the left was a main supply isolation point but looking closer it's another vent?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I thought that grey thing on the left was a main supply isolation point but looking closer it's another vent?

Question: are you not from North America?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The domey thing near the far edge of the less‐off white wall is the electrical meter.

It’s normal to have it outside.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 14, 2024

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Looks like a cable/fiber distribution enclosure. They tend to look like trash because the installation techs aren't given nearly enough time or money to give a gently caress about keeping things tidy if the owner isn't riding their rear end about it.

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Mar 14, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
SOON

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7344167763100978475

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

mycomancy posted:

Question: are you not from North America?

Nope! And if I'd looked closer I'd have also seen that the black cable is coming from an overhead run.

Shifty Pony posted:

Looks like a cable/fiber distribution enclosure. They tend to look like trash because the installation techs aren't given nearly enough time or money to give a gently caress about keeping things tidy if the owner isn't riding their rear end about it.

That makes more sense. You'd think it'd be boxed in or something but I guess that's the least of the problems.

Platystemon posted:

The domey thing near the fall edge of the less‐off white wall is the electrical meter.

It’s normal to have it outside.

Ohhhhh, yeah those are all square in the UK. Or not ancient ones anyway. I think it's against regs to not box it in if it's outside as well.

Mine is inside and they boxed it (unnecessarily) with an outdoor box that they basically hacked holes in at random to fit over it. I got the entry point and meter moved (and the guy kindly fitted an additional whole supply isolator) and boxed it in myself to make it look nicer.

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Mar 14, 2024

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I cannot stand this woman and I desperately hope her requests are denied.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I love that her updates are like doing what legitimate contractors and trades do and all the people in her comments are like “omg you’re a genius”, “you’re so incredible”. Really hope it all gets denied. Even with competent people I’m sure a loving tunnel dig goes through a couple rounds.

A month or longer ago she vaguely said there was “good progress” and things would be moving again and it’s funny that she was either just lying or is assuming all her stuff is going to swiftly get approved.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nitrox posted:

They were half right, the overhead wires are supposed to feed into the meter via a mast and not just directly attached to the house and fed into the box like that. Or at least that's certainly the code around here, there is so much wrong in that photo it's hard to tell if they just don't know, don't care, or don't have code to follow...

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I don't know what the hell is going on there, but is she an actual engineer? Did you get an architect to draw up those plans? And what is the purpose of this digging project?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I cannot stand this woman and I desperately hope her requests are denied.

"If you're watching this, the ball... *picks up oversized baseball* is back in your court!"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Nope! And if I'd looked closer I'd have also seen that the black cable is coming from an overhead run.

That makes more sense. You'd think it'd be boxed in or something but I guess that's the least of the problems.

Ohhhhh, yeah those are all square in the UK. Or not ancient ones anyway. I think it's against regs to not box it in if it's outside as well.

Mine is inside and they boxed it (unnecessarily) with an outdoor box that they basically hacked holes in at random to fit over it. I got the entry point and meter moved (and the guy kindly fitted an additional whole supply isolator) and boxed it in myself to make it look nicer.

From left to right:

Blue: shutoff for the AC compressor
Red: coax/fiber junction box, likely fiber given the size of the run going down
Yellow: Telephone junction box
Purple: likely an irrigation system controller
Green: electric meter

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Nitrox posted:

I don't know what the hell is going on there, but is she an actual engineer? Did you get an architect to draw up those plans? And what is the purpose of this digging project?

She’s the worst kind of engineer…

… a software engineer.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

The purpose of the tunnel is (or was at one point) to quarry stone for turning her house into a castle

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

The Dave posted:

or is assuming all her stuff is going to swiftly get approved.

It's this, "I'm an engineer" so obviously they're gonna approve everything, why wouldn't they? It's not like she's a regular schmuck digging out their basement, she's An Engineer! Of course she knows what she's doing!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
all that dust she's huffing all the time scares me the most

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Is this why they are trying to ban TikTok? Giving people ideas that just anyone can dig holes or build castles?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

thread not happy when the lady digs. i say, let the lady dig

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Sirotan posted:

They were half right, the overhead wires are supposed to feed into the meter via a mast and not just directly attached to the house and fed into the box like that. Or at least that's certainly the code around here, there is so much wrong in that photo it's hard to tell if they just don't know, don't care, or don't have code to follow...

There's a weatherhead above the meter. I won't put money on it without looking at it myself, but I bet the boxes next to the meter are a solar controller and backfeed cutotff switch.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The Dave posted:

She’s the worst kind of engineer…

… a software engineer.

Cooooolzies. Every software engineer I've ever met was extremely overconfident in their knowledge on any matter whatsoever, including internal medicine, history, sciences and of course, construction. I do not know where it comes from, but this trend scares the hell out of me.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nitrox posted:

Cooooolzies. Every software engineer I've ever met was extremely overconfident in their knowledge on any matter whatsoever, including internal medicine, history, sciences and of course, construction. I do not know where it comes from, but this trend scares the hell out of me.

Speaking as a software engineer, I defy this trend. I am so humble, in fact I can confidently state that I am the most humble person I know, furthermore...

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Nitrox posted:

I touch computer, and it does things - very fast. It's easy. How hard could anything else be!

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Nitrox posted:

The humble ones call themselves programmers or developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
it doesn't matter if conglomo corp says they wont give you more money unless you accept the engineer/architect monikers designed by HR