Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Whirling posted:

Yeah that's a thing that's always made me a little wary in sci-fi is the idea that an AI is the most competent and qualified being to lead society because of how smart it might be and its always better to let it do what it wants.

Anyway, any books with more interesting/fun takes on AI? I'm not sure AI will ever actually exist (the cool sci-fi version, not the algorithms that vomit up garbage art and word salad), but man do I love AI characters in fiction, like Durendal from the Marathon games or the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I should really read The Culture but other recommendations would be lovely

Go read the Radch trilogy, first book stars a ship AI and ship/station AIs remain major characters in the latter two.

If you're willing to dip your toes into self-pub, Starwalker and The Last Angel both feature ship AIs as the protagonists.

Depending on how broadly you define AI, the Murderbot books or maybe the Cassandra Kresnov series would also qualify; as a Ghost in the Shell enjoyer I'd probably rec the latter to you regardless.

Going into more old-school stuff, the Bolo stories are almost all written from the perspective of far-future hovertank AIs. Quality is kinda variable, though.

And I've never read Klara and the Sun but it looks like something I'd probably like, so onto the TBR it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Whirling posted:

Yeah that's a thing that's always made me a little wary in sci-fi is the idea that an AI is the most competent and qualified being to lead society because of how smart it might be and its always better to let it do what it wants.

Yeah, that's why I liked the early Polity stuff. I'm willing to entertain the idea that after making machines for everything else we made machines for as-good-as-possible government, but of course the fun of SF is seeing where good ideas go horribly wrong and he seemed to be heading that way, but then drifted off to whatever the gently caress he's got going on now. Pity, I loved his maniacal ecosystems.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Whirling posted:

Anyway, any books with more interesting/fun takes on AI? I'm not sure AI will ever actually exist (the cool sci-fi version, not the algorithms that vomit up garbage art and word salad), but man do I love AI characters in fiction, like Durendal from the Marathon games or the Tachikomas from Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. I should really read The Culture but other recommendations would be lovely

For some old school 70s grognard AI fiction, I recommend When HARLIE Was One by David Gerrold. Has one of the earliest representations of a computer virus in it.There's two versions iirc. The author did an update some time in the 80s because computers had gone in a slightly different direction.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
David Gerrold rules. Buy a tribble from him. Buy two

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And if you want to go really old school, there's Murray Leinster's "A Logic Named Joe."

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

ToxicFrog posted:

And I've never read Klara and the Sun but it looks like something I'd probably like, so onto the TBR it goes.

Ishiguro has written like 4 absolute bangers, jealous if you haven’t gotten read one yet.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Klara and the Sun is maybe my single favorite novel. I also think it is a much darker novel than reviewers took it to be when it came out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cephas posted:

Klara and the Sun is maybe my single favorite novel. I also think it is a much darker novel than reviewers took it to be when it came out.
An Ishiguro book? Dark?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

buffalo all day posted:

Ishiguro has written like 4 absolute bangers, jealous if you haven’t gotten read one yet.

I'm not sure I've even heard of him, and I definitely haven't read any of his books.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I really liked the film adaptation of Never Let Me Go. Been meaning to read the book for a while now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Remains of the Day is quite good although in no way Sci Fi. The Merchant Ivory adaptation is also pretty good.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

mystes posted:

An Ishiguro book? Dark?

you'd think for an author whose work is regularly blurbed as being suspended over an abyss, klara wouldn't be called a "christmas gift of a novel" or whatever lol. Well, honestly, that was just one reviewer (michael silverblatt). I was mostly startled by my coworker reading it and saying it was a nice story with a happy ending. Though I did notice that some reviewers seemed to misread the story, saying that Klara's visual perceptions and strange logic were evidence that she was malfunctioning. When I think what was being conveyed was that the artificial friends have distinct and emergent consciousnesses that mark them as true individuals and irreducible life forms, rather than mere replicas of models. And that Klara's pseudo-magical thinking is both an example of a complex consciousness making sense of the world by the limited data it is exposed to, while also ironically allowing her to perceive an underlying metaphorical truth, a sort of elemental truth obscured by consensus reality.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

buffalo all day posted:

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Tarnop posted:

I really liked the film adaptation of Never Let Me Go. Been meaning to read the book for a while now

Both the film and the book are really good, especially if you come to them in the dark, and even more so if you're already familiar with the tropes of boarding school fiction. Pretty soon you notice what's not in the story.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Hobnob posted:

Both the film and the book are really good, especially if you come to them in the dark, and even more so if you're already familiar with the tropes of boarding school fiction. Pretty soon you notice what's not in the story.

Oh yeah. I loved how the dawning horror just quietly sneaks up on you in that one.

The only Ishiguro book I didn’t like was The Unconsoled and that’s because it was so much like my most aggravating dreams that I couldn’t finish it. It is not a bad book at all. In fact my whole problem with it was it was done too well.

It was just too much for me. Too much dream logic where you’re going somewhere and trying to do something only to have reality suddenly shift and derail you and set your wheels spinning trying to find your shoes so you can leave a store, or trying to remember what exam you’re supposed to take when you can’t even remember what classes you attended, or boarding a train only to realize it’s going the wrong direction. It was absolutely relentless with that kinda thing.

I had to dnf the book because it drove me absolutely mad only like my worst nightmares can

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Harold Fjord posted:

Orconomics is the perfect palette cleanser to follow Exordia

It's like a Pratchett book. Half the charm, which is still pretty good!
did the third one of those ever come out? I liked the first two

Ranger Vick
Dec 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

did the third one of those ever come out? I liked the first two

It came out in September and I thought it was pretty good. If you enjoyed the first two, it was a solid conclusion and mix of the economic and fantasy heroics parts.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Cephas posted:

you'd think for an author whose work is regularly blurbed as being suspended over an abyss, klara wouldn't be called a "christmas gift of a novel" or whatever lol. Well, honestly, that was just one reviewer (michael silverblatt). I was mostly startled by my coworker reading it and saying it was a nice story with a happy ending. Though I did notice that some reviewers seemed to misread the story, saying that Klara's visual perceptions and strange logic were evidence that she was malfunctioning. When I think what was being conveyed was that the artificial friends have distinct and emergent consciousnesses that mark them as true individuals and irreducible life forms, rather than mere replicas of models. And that Klara's pseudo-magical thinking is both an example of a complex consciousness making sense of the world by the limited data it is exposed to, while also ironically allowing her to perceive an underlying metaphorical truth, a sort of elemental truth obscured by consensus reality.

It was a happy ending book because she literally spoke to God and He answered :colbert:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hobnob posted:

Yeah that was me when I saw the film. It got good reviews in whatever I was reading at the time so I went in not having seen a trailer. I'm also English so I grew up reading a bunch of weird boarding school poo poo.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The Storybundle folks just dropped their 2024 World SF bundle, ten books for $20 - anyone got any positives / negatives about any of the included..?

https://storybundle.com/worldsf

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Never Let Me Go is just so loving good I love it. If you haven't read it, you really should.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Whirling posted:

Anyway, any books with more interesting/fun takes on AI?

Peter Watts’ Sunflowers stuff (especially The Freeze-Frame Revolution) has a neat take on AI.

Whirling posted:

Starfish (also Watts) has some really funny responses to this kind of stuff with its smart gels / head cheeses. But as I’m sure you’ve seen in this thread, the Rifters books are heavy on 90s edgelordiness, so keep that in mind.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm not sure I've even heard of him, and I definitely haven't read any of his books.
He is a Nobel prize winner so you generally won't find him here. That being said, he is accessible and even his non-SF books are extremely engaging - my first book of his was The Buried Giant, which is an Arthurian fantasy, and after reading more of his stuff my favorite of ended up being An Artist of the Floating World, which is about a painter in post-WW2 Japan and contains no fantastic elements whatsoever.

He's good is what I'm saying.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Cephas posted:

Klara and the Sun is maybe my single favorite novel.

I am ever so slightly hesitant to start on this, for the admittedly silly reason that Klara is coincidentally the name of my (human) daughter and I feel trepidation at reading about someone with that name having anything bad happen to them.

Goddamn, I'm a big softy.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The Storybundle folks just dropped their 2024 World SF bundle, ten books for $20 - anyone got any positives / negatives about any of the included..?

https://storybundle.com/worldsf

Ekaterina Sedia is good. I read The Alchemy of Stone a few ago and enjoyed it. Haven't read this one, though.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Groke posted:

I am ever so slightly hesitant to start on this, for the admittedly silly reason that Klara is coincidentally the name of my (human) daughter and I feel trepidation at reading about someone with that name having anything bad happen to them.

Goddamn, I'm a big softy.

If you dont mind ebooks, there are some apps that have name / word replacement filters for books. My moon + reader app does this. It comes in handy for when main character shares my real life name :v: It does weird medium out when that happens. Or worse, when the romance novel features a love interest with my sibling's irl name lmao

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Another good writer about AI is Aliette de Bodard, who writes sci-fi in a very Vietnamese-influenced universe. Her AIs are flat-out people: not humans, but people. IIRC all the ones we encounter are ships. They project personas that people can interact with, or they talk to people directly. I highly recommend the mystery novel The Tea Master and the Detective as a starter.

de Bodard's AIs are closest to the intelligent ships in the Culture: not profoundly inhuman, but having their own motivations. Most of the Xuya novels are also lesbian romances.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

loving fine, I will buy my first Ishiguro today if you all promise to stop banging on about him

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mdemone posted:

loving fine, I will buy my first Ishiguro today if you all promise to stop banging on about him
Sorry, he'll still be cool even if you like him. You'll just become a guy who likes cool stuff

Kwathi
Nov 7, 2010

You do not, under any circumstances, "gotta hand it to the Cult of the Crushing Wave."

Stuporstar posted:

The only Ishiguro book I didn’t like was The Unconsoled and that’s because it was so much like my most aggravating dreams that I couldn’t finish it. It is not a bad book at all. In fact my whole problem with it was it was done too well.

It was just too much for me. Too much dream logic where you’re going somewhere and trying to do something only to have reality suddenly shift and derail you and set your wheels spinning trying to find your shoes so you can leave a store, or trying to remember what exam you’re supposed to take when you can’t even remember what classes you attended, or boarding a train only to realize it’s going the wrong direction. It was absolutely relentless with that kinda thing.

I had to dnf the book because it drove me absolutely mad only like my worst nightmares can

While I really liked The Unconsoled, this is a 100% accurate description. In retrospect, you could argue that this marked his transition from his earlier historical fiction to his more recent books, which have been mystery, scifi or fantasy novels in terms of their setting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Another good writer about AI is Aliette de Bodard, who writes sci-fi in a very Vietnamese-influenced universe. Her AIs are flat-out people: not humans, but people. IIRC all the ones we encounter are ships. They project personas that people can interact with, or they talk to people directly. I highly recommend the mystery novel The Tea Master and the Detective as a starter.

de Bodard's AIs are closest to the intelligent ships in the Culture: not profoundly inhuman, but having their own motivations. Most of the Xuya novels are also lesbian romances.

Aren't AIs in that setting born as humans and then uploaded into a matrix?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Orconomics posted:

Sethiroph

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

fritz posted:

Aren't AIs in that setting born as humans and then uploaded into a matrix?

I don't remember that; I may have missed the novel/novella where we found that out.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819W1L1W/

From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D184Q7Q/

Deus Irae by Philip K Dick and Roger Zelazny - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LQ1SLK/

The Night of the Long Knives by Fritz Leiber - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086MJY3SK/

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

pradmer posted:

From the Dust Returned by Ray Bradbury - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D184Q7Q/

Anyone read this?

Edit: actually all three of these look interesting

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 14, 2024

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819W1L1W/

This is really good. It's a big story that scales out over millennia and myriads of time, told from the perspective of people caught up in some bullshit and experience a lot of relativistic time compression.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Whale Vomit posted:

Anyone read this?

Edit: actually all three of these look interesting

It is beautiful and very October Spooky, jack-o-lanterns and cobwebs vibes. You cannot go wrong with Ray Bradbury.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm sure you can, but you often wouldn't. It's one of those things where it might as well be unreviewable do to status, but if his books came out today we'd have the usual divisive reaction with plenty of roasts in the thread I think.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 15, 2024

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I only read Bradbury as a teen and I never loved him. There's a sort of melancholy that I never really vibed with. I wouldn't claim it was bad, but not my taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I read Never Let Me Go yesterday and it was good as expected but also depressing as expected, which was why I had put it off for so long.

Started Klara and the Sun but I sense more tragedy and think it's going back on the list for now. Back to my usual escapist trash :dings: