Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I like this show even if it's occasionally mediocre sci-fi.

Hey nevermind, I just saw s2e3 and that was a pretty good episode.

Ackerson is played by the same guy as Niklaus from the Vampire Diaries, so everytime I see him on screen I feel a sense of dread that I'm being forced to watch a bad show by my ex. I don't really have a larger point, I just feel like I need to get that out of my system. Thanks, thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I do think the introduction of legit personal animosity between Chief and the Arbiter will make for an interesting time if they end up following through with the eventual team up in the games. The only way that's going to work is if both the Chief and Arbiter go through some serious personal development before that, and I am curious to see if they can pull it off.

And since Ackerson is currently being discussed, I am definitely interested in seeing where the show goes with him. I never read any of the books so I have no preconceived notions to influence my current take. I think he's probably the most nuanced ONI character and most unpredictable in terms of what he will do going forward. I can absolutely buy that he believes the poo poo he is selling about Chief right now, and I'm wondering what will happen when or if he is presented with clear evidence that he is wrong. I think the ONI grandma (don't know how to spell her name) is much more clearcut after the last few episodes, and I think more straightforward in her "villainy," but I suppose I'll probably have to wait another week or so to see how this particular plot thread unravels.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are advertising Halo in the post race cool down room at the F1 race, so maybe they still believe in the show.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I really like the OG Arbiter arc, he does his job excellently, is brought low through no real fault of his own, is made Arbiter and tries to make amends, then in the course of that, realises what a load of horseshit flavoured Kool Aid the Prophets are chugging, starts a revolution and helps save the fuckin' galaxy. The dude's legit. Not really feeling the show version's starting point yet, feels like it's rushing/forcing things somewhat.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well they're most likely setting him up to be an antagonist to Chief on the Halo, while also being a target for his own people along with Makee, so that they can do my absolute favorite cliche of two enemies begrudgingly forced to work together to fight a stronger threat. I also loved it when Soren got paired up with Halsey during the fall of reach.

e: as much as I want to see this show renewed I do have to say that if paramount has the choice between renewing this or strange new worlds, then I'm sorry John Halo but hunky Captain pike gets my vote

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

One thing I'm still unclear about is what's going on with Kwan's visions/hallucinations. Is it more Forerunner weirdness, or is the old priestess she keeps seeing some sort of psychic Gravemind projection?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bloody Pom posted:

One thing I'm still unclear about is what's going on with Kwan's visions/hallucinations. Is it more Forerunner weirdness, or is the old priestess she keeps seeing some sort of psychic Gravemind projection?

I'm betting on Gravemind stuff so they can pull a "the visions were actually evil!" twist.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Reading this thread feels like a fever dream sometimes, where you're familiar with the topic of discussion and most of the plot beats sound like what you know, but its like lines from a plot summary of some completely different franchise were pasted in at random just to gently caress with your head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bloody Pom posted:

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Reading this thread feels like a fever dream sometimes, where you're familiar with the topic of discussion and most of the plot beats sound like what you know, but its like lines from a plot summary of some completely different franchise were pasted in at random just to gently caress with your head.

In another franchise it's the Nine warning her poo poo's about to get real :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bloody Pom posted:

Apparently there's some kind of weird cult that Knows Things on every single planet humans have colonized. What do they know? What does it mean? Tune in to seasons 6-8 to find out!

*Note: Show is cancelled after season 2

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Okay, I'm caught up now. Wild direction to take Onyx. I think they could still do Reach the way in the books? Maybe?

I dunno. Everything is crazy now, and I'm all for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95CtthAvPc

So I think my theory about them getting to Halo via a portal on Onyx might be more likely, now. And lol are they really just made the Fall of Reach one episode and then gave the rest of the Fall of Reach over to the Battle of Onyx with the Spartan 3s filling in for S-IIs

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It also seems that they flip-flopped the details on the Spartan IIs and IIIs. In the books, the IIIs are all traumatized war orphans trained as suicide shock/infiltration troops. Their augmentation process is much less invasive, works on any pre-pubescent human, and has a near 100% success rate. The Spartan-IVs are all post Covenant War veterans that volunteer for the program. The IV augmentation is kinda horrific, because the volunteer adult get all their insides scooped out and replaced with engineered cloned organs and cybernetics. It’s stated that they have to learn how to walk again in zero-g.

In the show, it appears that ONI has perfected a process for enhancing adults that is noninvasive and effective. Now, the IIIs are PTSD riddled combat veterans who have apparently lost everything to the Covenant. Which is still morally lovely, but at least they have some agency even if they are pathological.

I’m assuming Kessler and the other kidnapped kids will be the new Spartan IVs, actual heavily indoctrinated child soldiers (Spartan II Electric Boogaloo).

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m assuming Kessler and the other kidnapped kids will be the new Spartan IVs, actual heavily indoctrinated child soldiers (Spartan II Electric Boogaloo).

Yeah I think this too, the timing of trying to create new Spartans out of young children when Reach is already gone is pretty funny though. Making a multi-year investment in new Spartan child soldiers when you presumably have 1 stronghold planet left is a bold strategy

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I think the strategy is to augment as many lone-survivor soldiers (which there has to be a ton of) as possible to overwhelm the Covenant with suicide attacks. It’s super lovely, but efficient.

Spartan Vs will be augmented flash clones with stock memories, thrown directly at problems hours after decanting. Expendable ODSTs.

Edit: Spartan III augmentation being the trick to keeping flash clones stable would be a fun twist.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 11, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Battuta nailing Halo and GOT.

Been thinking about this more and it is applicable to so, so many shows and series and this post just hammers it home my feelings on the matter. Sociological systems and orders impacting the way people behave are fascinating and when they're explored in fiction I eat that poo poo up. The shift towards psychological storytelling doesn't have to be a bad thing but when it supersedes the rest of the narrative it does make the world feel hollow and extraneous. It's a careful balancing act, and tilting too far in one direction will topple everything into a characters-only drama set in a blank void because the rest of the world might as well not exist.

It's like TV writers collectively and unironically bought into the "Unlike other mecha/sci-fi/fantasy/genre shows, this one is about the characters" meme and flipped off anyone who questions that. It's how you go from Star Trek TNG being about the way humanity explores alien ideas and societal concepts on a weekly basis to dreck like Star Trek Picard or ST Discovery that thinks if there isn't an overarching seasonal narrative focused entirely around the personal growth of one ancient Patrick Stewart.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 11, 2024

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think the strategy is to augment as many lone-survivor soldiers (which there has to be a ton of) as possible to overwhelm the Covenant with suicide attacks. It’s super lovely, but efficient.

Spartan Vs will be augmented flash clones with stock memories, thrown directly at problems hours after decanting. Expendable ODSTs.

Edit: Spartan III augmentation being the trick to keeping flash clones stable would be a fun twist.

All of this sounds so unpalatably awful that I'm thinking maybe the Covenant have the right idea.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95CtthAvPc

So I think my theory about them getting to Halo via a portal on Onyx might be more likely, now. And lol are they really just made the Fall of Reach one episode and then gave the rest of the Fall of Reach over to the Battle of Onyx with the Spartan 3s filling in for S-IIs

Man that would be the first major change that would actually be a detriment to my enjoyment of the series. Onyx being the Reach stand-in is fine imo but I hope Perez isn't Noble Six and gets to continue being part of the series because I've enjoyed her in the series and I think there's definitely more they can do with her character as a contrast to Chief and the other OG Spartans.

But a dang portal???? No pillar of autumn? Whoever came up with that poo poo (if true) needs to be shoved out an airlock.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I mean they flew through a portal to the Ark and Guilty Spark can teleport so sure, why not

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
“pillar of bottom” is this anything

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Sentinel Red posted:

All of this sounds so unpalatably awful that I'm thinking maybe the Covenant have the right idea.

I’ve been thinking that since I started reading the books, years ago. The UNSC no bueno.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Covenant exist as a deus ex machina to retroactively justify horrific ethical atrocities by downplaying or ignoring crimes in the face of imminent extinction.

Of course being religious zealots with a violently imposed caste system ain't exactly squeaky clean either. And Grunts are pretty much child soldiers en masse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having not read the books, about the only plot point in 4 I really liked was how, the imminent extinction threat having passed, the civilian government took back over from the military UNSC and took a big drink of water then looked up how Halsey got all those Spartans that saved everyone

They didn't really do anything with it and it fits in weird because in the extended media stuff they pretty obviously had to have known but I appreciate that they tried

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's funny that Halsey's interrogation over the Spartan 2s is only addressed in the intro cutscene for Halo 4 and never mentioned again in the campaign, and only once again in a Spartan Ops cutscene for a storyline that was canceled and wrapped up in a comic book.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’m still unclear on how quickly the Spartan III augmentation process works in the show. It’s less than week after the fall of Reach and Perez already got to Onyx and in training. Granted, they are training in virtual reality and III armor isn’t powered…

How much you want to bet the Spartan III augment is a shot of lethal space-meth that they give them right before the mission? They aren’t even augmented, yet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
S-III armor is partially powered. Semi-Powered Infiltration armor or SPI.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Not crush your bones power, I should say.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

Arc Hammer posted:

It's funny that Halsey's interrogation over the Spartan 2s is only addressed in the intro cutscene for Halo 4 and never mentioned again in the campaign, and only once again in a Spartan Ops cutscene for a storyline that was canceled and wrapped up in a comic book.

Oh really? I'm playing through the loooooooooooong Spartan Ops campaign(?) right now, and that's kind of disappointing to learn.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Arc Hammer posted:

Been thinking about this more and it is applicable to so, so many shows and series and this post just hammers it home my feelings on the matter. Sociological systems and orders impacting the way people behave are fascinating and when they're explored in fiction I eat that poo poo up. The shift towards psychological storytelling doesn't have to be a bad thing but when it supersedes the rest of the narrative it does make the world feel hollow and extraneous. It's a careful balancing act, and tilting too far in one direction will topple everything into a characters-only drama set in a blank void because the rest of the world might as well not exist.

It's like TV writers collectively and unironically bought into the "Unlike other mecha/sci-fi/fantasy/genre shows, this one is about the characters" meme and flipped off anyone who questions that. It's how you go from Star Trek TNG being about the way humanity explores alien ideas and societal concepts on a weekly basis to dreck like Star Trek Picard or ST Discovery that thinks if there isn't an overarching seasonal narrative focused entirely around the personal growth of one ancient Patrick Stewart.

This is exactly why the Foundation adaptation was the worst adaptation I've ever seen, and really the only show or movie thing ever that actively made me angry. They took maybe the most impersonal sci fi story about sociological systems, and jammed it into personal stories of peoples 'trauma' and 'faith' and other hack write crap, completely butchering any point to it. It still makes me angry because they blew their wad on making a lovely david s goyer joint, and there will probably never be another adaptation of the Foundation now until the day I die.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's kind of disappointing to learn.

Spartan Ops in a nutshell. Halo 4's content stream was one if the first times I heard the "10-year plan" catchphrase that became so ubiquitous with live service games and then Spartan Ops got one season before getting canned and resolved in a comic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
[whispering to date while watching Halo when the Halo first appears
on the screen] That's Halo

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Didn't know that there's only eight episodes this season.

Looking forward to the Halo having seven Dragon balls that resurrect all the dead characters

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't watched yet, was I right about how they get to the Halo or did a Pillar of Autumn appear suddenly to fly them there?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
If they skip the Pillar of Autumn because they don't want to recreate the final scuttling and mad Warthog dash through the nonsensical rally course superstructure then they are COWARDS.

:colbert:

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
I'm gonna miss Riz, but it was nice to see Kai nonchalantly shatter every vertebrae in the lovely chick's neck. really hoping she never gets back up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Haven't watched yet, was I right about how they get to the Halo or did a Pillar of Autumn appear suddenly to fly them there?

Different characters appear to be travelling to the Halo separately, and the military haven't started their approach yet.

IMO we'll get a big spaceship next season.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, Miranda possibly starting a Flood outbreak on Onyx wasn't on my bingo card.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Soren and Laera's argument is easily the funniest thing on the show ever, I was howling.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Open Source Idiom posted:

Different characters appear to be travelling to the Halo separately, and the military haven't started their approach yet.

IMO we'll get a big spaceship next season.

Next season? Does that mean the 3000 ads during the hockey actually worked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Next season? Does that mean the 3000 ads during the hockey actually worked?

Apparently the ratings aren't dire, but no, no confirmation.