Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

NmareBfly posted:

E: to be clear, great ep. I just find the little differences interesting.

Yeah, there's a few other little differences I noticed. Trigger being what they are I expected this panel to be played up for more comedy than it ended up being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

This adaptation rules.

People ain't prepare for next week. I ain't prepare for next week and I know what is coming.

I love that the two reactions I'm seeing are people being like "oh god Falin can't be brought back" and people being like "haha I'm sure she's fine right???" and somehow neither group is gonna be ready for how things will go

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

As an aside, there's a redditor who is cataloguing all of Marcille's different hairstyles seen in the anime so far and knowing where that goes is breaking my heart.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I really want to buy this but am patiently waiting for an english translation so I don’t have to sticker up the cards

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/371794/monster-eater

the art is so good…

https://gigazine.net/gsc_news/en/20220831-monster-eater-dangeon-meshi-review/

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I just picked up the English version of volume 13. Only one more left…

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

NmareBfly posted:

Looks like the convo with Namari and the twins might actually be cut, though it could still go in later during some downtime. Lot to squeeze into this one.

I could easily see it being in the next episode surrounding the lead in to Marcille's spell

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Goddd, this episode was amazing. What a story, and what a great adaptation.

The cut to the upbeat ED after finding Falin's skull was fantastic lmao.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I completely forgot that the red dragon wasn't a wingaling dragon.

The panel that really sticks in my mind is, presumably, going to be next week where they lay out all the bones of Falin's skeleton like Lucy. This whole thing is so grisly. gently caress dungeon meshi is good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I'm looking forward to Marcille's "Dark Magic Witch" scene. :unsmigghh:

gently caress yeah

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its going to break a lot of people's brains in a good way. Incredibly excited for the resulting art~

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, there's a few other little differences I noticed. Trigger being what they are I expected this panel to be played up for more comedy than it ended up being.

This episode made me realize that Laios tied Kensuke to his hand and I had to go back in the chapter to check!

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

God, I can't wait for the next episode of the anime so i can finally talk about it with my friends

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

??? we're literally right here...

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
As expected, I’m already seeing lots of very surprised reactions to how dark it is getting ,on Reddit and elsewhere

The reactions to the next couple of episodes are gonna be fun… the one after that too, if it’s Sea Serpent.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Cue the next episode starting with Laios going "its still good!" like Homer Simpson trying to save the ruined pig roast. He'll probably do something like deduce that the Dragon hasn't taken a crap yet so Falin's nutrients are still in its body and therefore still bound by the Dungeon's resurrection spell. Then he'll do something insane like make a meat puppet out of her leftover bones and dragon steaks and tell Marcille to stitch it together like she did with his leg.

Lol, lmao.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

the most villainous thing laios does in the series is trick the party into eating merman eggs c/d

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just finished the whole series. What an incredible loving ride that was! :aaaaa:

I'm incredibly grateful and lucky that I could devour the series in a few bites rather than having to wait each week/month/whatever for the next chapter.

e: I think the main prediction I was way off on was that I was expecting Falin to join the party and help them defeat the Mad Mage since it's kind of an RPG trope of teasing a strong class or character early on then save them until the end to let them use their full potential (eg Shin Megami Tensei's Cerebus), but then the plot twist came and well... She pretty much got literally put on ice for the rest of the story. The twist with the demon observing the party and being the source of power behind the Dungeon Lord was insanely cool. Things got downright surreal near the end which I absolutely adored.

And yet! Somehow! This loving manga never let up on being incredibly hilarious and touching too! I feel like a lot of adventure mangas with demons and death etc start out fun but get incredibly cynical and dark-spirited by the end, yet deep down this manga never loses its charm or goofy spirit. God I love this manga so much!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 15, 2024

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Now go and read the Dungeon Meshi bible and side-chapters. :getin:

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

panko posted:

the most villainous thing laios does in the series is trick the party into eating merman eggs c/d

Taking the living armor sword and making it fight other monsters was pretty messed up. He's taping it to his hand so he can swing it and Kensuke's just like "bro you ate my family"

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

A jargogle posted:

Lol, lmao.
yeah, it's great that even when people are making some good and mostly accurate guesses/deductions they're still assuming that of course laios will be the instigator who asks or makes marcille do it :allears:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think they realize yet how extremely gay marcille and falin are for each other

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm incredibly grateful and lucky that I could devour the series in a few bites rather than having to wait each week/month/whatever for the next chapter.

It ran in Harta, which puts out ten issues a year.

Yeah.

It's been a real slow boil.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Apraxin posted:

yeah, it's great that even when people are making some good and mostly accurate guesses/deductions they're still assuming that of course laios will be the instigator who asks or makes marcille do it :allears:

Marcille is being played as a straight man (not that there is anything straight about her :v:), so the reveal that she is exactly as insane as Laios and Senshi, just in different areas, does come as a bit of a surprise. I remember I was pretty wtf when I got to that point in the manga.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marcille is being played as a straight man (not that there is anything straight about her :v:), so the reveal that she is exactly as insane as Laios and Senshi, just in different areas, does come as a bit of a surprise. I remember I was pretty wtf when I got to that point in the manga.

I am so excited to see blood coated Marcille casting forbidden magics in the anime. There were a lot of folks dragging Marcille for her antics in the first few episodes and writing her off as useless.

It's like when GoT book fans were quietly waiting for the TV show fans to get to the Red Wedding.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What are the chances that the author was partly inspired by Dwarf Fortress? Digging too deep and greedily leading to demons flooding in from an extradimensional space to kill everyone and escape to wreak havoc on the surface sounds very dorfy to me. :iit:

E: couldn't help but think of this anytime the Winged Lion showed up randomly:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9zgCOUOtzyk?si=K536OsmAL24bKw-y

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Mar 15, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

*guy whose got 2k hours in dwarf fortress* getting a lot of dwarf fortress vibes from this narrative…

also she wrote a comic about not being able to play that exact game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Ryoko Kui also surprisingly turned out to only recently became like, the gamer she seemed to be

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I've been using the anime as a rewatch so I didn't remember this brief scene with Laios and Falin in the grass field before this resurrection and how it's paralleled at the end with Falin and the winged lion before her second resurrection. It's such a nice little detail of Falin trying to continue sacrificing herself for others at this point. I love how her character exists in this absence and how there's so much to her even though she's not really herself for most of it.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What are the chances that the author was partly inspired by Dwarf Fortress? Digging too deep and greedily leading to demons flooding in from an extradimensional space to kill everyone and escape to wreak havoc on the surface sounds very dorfy to me. :iit:

E: couldn't help but think of this anytime the Winged Lion showed up randomly:

https://youtube.com/shorts/9zgCOUOtzyk?si=K536OsmAL24bKw-y

"digging too deep and greedily" leading to problems has been a fantasy trope for a very long time

Dwarf Fortress draws pretty clear inspiration from similar events that happened in stories like Lord of the Rings

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Donkringel posted:

I am so excited to see blood coated Marcille casting forbidden magics in the anime. There were a lot of folks dragging Marcille for her antics in the first few episodes and writing her off as useless.

It's like when GoT book fans were quietly waiting for the TV show fans to get to the Red Wedding.

I think it hurts/helps that the way she was placated earlier, like "oh we want you not to strain yourself you'll totally be useful later" sounds like a white lie to a struggling friend but it's 100% the truth, she's got Dark loving Sorcery on her side.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nathan fielder voice, marcille graduated one of the top magician school's with really good grades

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Snooze Cruise posted:

nathan fielder voice, marcille graduated one of the top magician school's with really good grades

panko fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 15, 2024

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

wait I can do better

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lol

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Snooze Cruise posted:

hes right

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Mercury Hat posted:

I've been using the anime as a rewatch so I didn't remember this brief scene with Laios and Falin in the grass field before this resurrection and how it's paralleled at the end with Falin and the winged lion before her second resurrection. It's such a nice little detail of Falin trying to continue sacrificing herself for others at this point. I love how her character exists in this absence and how there's so much to her even though she's not really herself for most of it.

very unironically dungeon meshis characterization of falin through only memories and absence and having the audience drawing their own conclusions about her is the best execution of its type since the sound and the fury's handling of caddy compson

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Lt. Lizard posted:

That long pause after Chilchuck's like 'that's not even your area of expertise!' is so good.

Legit one of the best decisions in the manga is having Marcille be the one who ends up succumbing to the Lion after all the buildup around Laius.

I also forgot how much Kabru is set up as this master manipulator possible villain before he gets completely derailed by first Laius and then Mithrun.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kabru is inherently funny because he is a smooth talking womanizer but ends up stuck with these helpless men who lack basic life skills.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I went and reread the manga to see how they might pace out the last two episodes of the cour, and I'm eager to see the anime thread react to Kabru also being incredibly competent and slightly unhinged despite being the leader of the 'noob party'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I find it really funny that Kabru is very good at killing humans through his understanding of anatomy but because he ends up fighting a bunch of monsters he gets wrecked.