Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Outrail posted:

Mandatory meeting on your day off might be the dumbest thing in this thread aside from all the other dumb things in this thread.

I used to work at a factory that had morning meetings for management. One day they made one of the 3rd shift maintenance guys show up to the meeting because of some ongoing problem.

As everyone was shuffling in the front desk admin saw a dude she didn't recognize. She sighed loudly, walked out, walked back in with the front desk log book, and dropped it on the table in front of him.

"All guests are required to sign in and wear a guest badge."

The guy replied:

"I've worked here for 30 years."

Turned out he was one of the most well respected and well liked electricians in the company. Among people who knew he was there, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
gently caress those soft side fuckers all day. Happy Thursday

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is it right here. Refresh your resume while you’re at it and be ready to jump if they don’t take the hint.

Otherwise congrats you’re the purchasing guy now.

The sad thing is that I was hired to this team in order to get me away from being a pure purchasing person, it was recognized by my boss' boss that I was capable of a lot more than just processing orders and he offered me a promotion and more interesting work. After a few months it became imperative that I take on this role and right the ship for these transactions, but all the people who were supposed to help from other disciplines just ignored me when I reached out, surprising no one. I know I'm leaving this aspect of the purchasing system better than I found it, but it's not completely fixed because I simply don't have the accesses needed to do everything on my own. I also negotiated a multi year, disturbingly large contract with a vendor without any help from management that's hopefully getting final approval soon; it's not like I can't look at this and not spot accomplishments and progress. The issue is that this was supposed to be six months and then pass it to the appropriate group. We know who that is, they just refuse to take ownership because it's too much work.

I have a one on one with my supervisor every other week, so next Friday I plan to let her know I need to see some light at the end of the tunnel here. Everyone else on the team took over their new responsibilities months ago and I'm just spinning my wheels because of corporate politics.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

wash bucket posted:

I think I'd respect them more if they just admitted they missing having people to lord over.

I don’t doubt that it is 95% this. But I do believe in their broken little executive brains they also think they are doing everyone a favor by bringing them in to the office. Turnover at the company has been huge in recent years, and lots of departments have a situation where the majority of people have less than 5 years in the company and/or industry.

So on the surface it might make sense to get everyone in the same building so the new people can ask around easier “Hey, how do I do thing?”. Because we sure do have a lot of undocumented or outdated documented things in this company. Problem is that as a utility, the employees are so spread around, that over half our day is spent on Teams, even when we are in the office. Because no one is going to try and set up a meeting room and get people to travel 30-60 minutes for a 30-60 minute update meeting on a project outage.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Orvin posted:

Problem is that as a utility, the employees are so spread around, that over half our day is spent on Teams, even when we are in the office. Because no one is going to try and set up a meeting room and get people to travel 30-60 minutes for a 30-60 minute update meeting on a project outage.

lol I have a similar situation. Our CEO brought everyone back to the office for the magic of collaboration but we’re so spread out that everyone at my site spends all day on Teams talking to a webcam. Love to commute to the office and work exactly like I did at home.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lazyfire posted:

I have a one on one with my supervisor every other week, so next Friday I plan to let her know I need to see some light at the end of the tunnel here. Everyone else on the team took over their new responsibilities months ago and I'm just spinning my wheels because of corporate politics.

One a company said 'yeah just a couple months and we'll do something', but I waited a year before I found out they had no intention of moving me around until a multi-year project was finished. Get a hard date with an effective immediate raise, or something.

Ultimately the company is not meeting expectations, and until there's an acceptable work plan with hard deadlines to internally transfer you out of purchasing, you will be exploring external options. If that happens they will either need to hire a replacement or negotiate your higher retention pay rate, so it's in their best interests to stop kicking the can. Explain this matter of factly to your supervisor and ask if they'll help you polish up your resume.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol so few people were actually bothering to adhere to the “come to the office two days a month please” edict that they’ve pivoted to just closing the office when the lease is up at the end of the year and converting us all to permanent WFH contracts.

Yeah this is probably going to end up being a precursor to “whoops we need people in offices so I guess you’re all redundant” somewhere down the line but for now I’ve got plenty of runway and I don’t have to go to the office anymore in the interim!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

wash bucket posted:

I think I'd respect them more if they just admitted they missing having people to lord over.

It's this but it's mostly they're impatient and bad at planning and if you're not in the office they can't just appear at your desk and ask you to do poo poo right as they need it.

This, to managers, feels the same as not being able to work bc so much of their jobs are interrupting the days of others. Not being quite as agile as getting Bob to stop Project X to work on Project Y bc the client is having a hissy fit feels like lost time/lost progress to these folks.

They got so used to planning badly they don't know how to function when they need to plan better and subsequently make more firm boundaries with their client. That takes a backbone and learning how to manage clients, whereas agreeing to dumb poo poo then just dropping the work on a report right away can be more easily achieved in an office where you have immediate access to your reports and can claim to find them idling.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 14, 2024

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

wash bucket posted:

"I've worked here for 30 years."

I had the cops called on me once. I worked remote and no one at HQ knew my face but the people who'd hired me. I needed to work near their office once so I flew in early to borrow some tools. Show up at the office 7:30am, and there's a single car in the lot but doors are locked. I had a key & let myself in, no alarm so I figured someone was there. I announced myself but got no response. So I started loading tools into my rental. Cops showed up while I was arming the alarm and locking up behind me.

I guess someone from a back office saw me, hid under their desk and called 911. It was an AP person who had no reason to know who I was. Fun morning, though. Every time I visited for the next 10 years I'd show up early and visit them.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Team lead offered to let the person on my team with a currently lovely commute leave early today because a storm was on the way. However, he only realized a storm was on the way when the sky was already pitch black and it was pretty much on top of us. I pointed out that it was only 2, and there was nothing behind this line, so... Why offer to let someone drive in a severe thunderstorm that will be gone by the time we usually leave?

He got all huffy and quiet then at 3 told all of us we could leave. The three of us in the office just bolted.

This boy is ostensibly second-in-command for my team (And depending on how this re-org goes, first-in-command), and he doesn't have a thin skin - he has NO skin.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Barudak posted:

I have learned the head boss at my company has a private windowless meeting room that connects only through the back of their office behind their desk.

Check back there after you beat the third boss to pick up a Tau Cannon.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Currently have someone under me in a “senior” position that can’t complete basic, 101 poo poo. We’re talking about poo poo that has to be done on a daily basis, or it fucks everybody else up. I told him last time that he was going to start catching writeups if he kept screwing around, but same thing when I walked in today.

I told the SM that he needs a write up, but he’s the kid of another department manager so we will see if that actually happens.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tactlessbastard posted:

My boss has gotten really bad lately about not answering direct questions.

'Employee A needs to temporarily modify his working hours over the next three weeks to accommodate child pickup. I have no objection but would like your consent so I can let him know before I WORK OUT OF COUNTRY ALL NEXT WEEK’

*crickets*

Anyway I go to Canada and never having heard no, Employee A starts coming in 45 minutes later.

I get back from Canada and find one of my go getter peers had run an automated report on attendance and Employee A got flagged for a bunch of attendance violations and boss wants to know why I haven’t written him up. I remind boss what I had previously asked him, he sits on that until today and Finally says 'no accommodation’

Factional politics at work may have him feeling low, his BFF got fired after a very brief investigation. That aside though his failure to make a decision two weeks ago until I reminded him yesterday means he still had to make the decision and now unless I go over his head and get some approval from higher up I’ll have to write this guy up which I deeply don’t want to do.*

So did you tell the dude yes pursuant to your bosses' approval and then just not say anything so he assumed the approval was granted? Or did you just say an unqualified yes, or what?

Either way the dude doesn't deserve getting written up for this, unless you have him a "no unless you're specifically told that my boss comes back with otherwise".

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

wash bucket posted:

lol I have a similar situation. Our CEO brought everyone back to the office for the magic of collaboration but we’re so spread out that everyone at my site spends all day on Teams talking to a webcam. Love to commute to the office and work exactly like I did at home.
Our overarching department decided that everyone should work at least 2 days in the office for reasons such as "collaboration and generating ideas" except as it turns out, they physically don't have enough space for everyone in the same buildings (we're state employees so actual real estate to put butts isn't the issue, it's that some people/teams will have to work out of other offices), which rather defeats the said goals of in-person collab and generating ideas. Our devs, the only people our team would actually want or need to see in person will be in another building several miles away. :shepface:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've got it! We can use AI and The Cloud to automate collaboration and team building!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wash bucket posted:

I've got it! We can use AI and The Cloud to automate collaboration and team building!

This is my work’s CEO anytime the media asks him what’s next for the company and he, a huge loving moron, vaguely remembers what another huge loving moron told him to say. Which is: AI! Cloud! Look over there! *dashes out of sight*

Fortunately we have talented people (who get paid a fraction of his wages) that actually know things and keep us profitable and when things are profitable nobody remembers all the stupid bullshit you promised that never came to fruition.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Coasterphreak posted:

Currently have someone under me in a “senior” position that can’t complete basic, 101 poo poo. We’re talking about poo poo that has to be done on a daily basis, or it fucks everybody else up. I told him last time that he was going to start catching writeups if he kept screwing around, but same thing when I walked in today.

I told the SM that he needs a write up, but he’s the kid of another department manager so we will see if that actually happens.

Lol you're stuck with him forever

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Outrail posted:

Or until he decides it was so easy to succeed into a senior post, that he's senior level somewhere different for much higher pay. Hope for that,OP.

I'm watching a small competitor implode. They poached a bunch of people with the prospects of senior titles. Now business is circling a drain and they're all shopping for the same 1-2 positions nationwide. And not one of them is qualified. I've had 3 call me this month.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
This just in: I just confirmed that one of my least favorite bosses is a massive piece of poo poo.

I remembered him mentioning some book and I just looked it up on a whim and it's all about how LBGTQIA-Z, birth control, sex before marriage, and no fault divorce are all inherently immoral and it's the job of true christians to push their weight around and act like dicks about it whenever possible. Holy gently caress I can't believe he talked about this poo poo at work.

Curiously he's had a whole bunch of divorces and fooled around behind his wife's back. So I guess some parts of that morality are more important than others.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Guys like that can’t lose. If you agree with them they’ve found a kindred spirit. If you disagree with them they can argue with you and talk poo poo about you, which they love.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

wash bucket posted:

Guys like that can’t lose. If you agree with them they’ve found a kindred spirit. If you disagree with them they can argue with you and talk poo poo about you, which they love.

Yeah, I worked with a guy who hung a Trump flag in our cube and one day the CEO came through to look over the newest office and the next day he got a note to remove the thing, which pissed him off because "Why shouldn't we support the Commander in Chief at a defense company?" and I, for the first time in the three months I had been in the cube asked if he had an Obama flag up previously. Of course, he didn't, but that was because Obama wasn't a real American. The union rep showed up in the cube and was very mad that I said I should be able to put up a BLM flag, that, apparently, was political.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wash bucket posted:

You don't engage, just say extremely woke poo poo around them until they do something actionable and drop them in with HR

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

You don't engage, just say extremely woke poo poo around them until they do something actionable and drop them in with HR

You weirdly assume HR will not be on their side, and will not decide that the problem is You.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Outrail posted:

Nah, he pissed my boss off and she’s part of The Club, plus he’s within his 90 days.

I give him a week, and that’s generous.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am eternally grateful for one small spark of sanity at my company. There are rules and regulations regarding who gets to know information about the electric transmission system. Not because it is for national safety or anything. But because people could use it for advantages in electrical markets.

But anyways, because of that, the company has a hard line stance about not using any AI or LLMs for anything, because the data/information is no longer secure. And that leaves the company open to enormous fines. Or at least that is their official stance. No clue if anyone has an actual reason to use an LLM and would do it anyways. But I am sure there are idiots that would try.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

You weirdly assume HR will not be on their side, and will not decide that the problem is You.

Well you have to judge the situation, but if you can make them seem like a liability it can be a decent option.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Volmarias posted:

I feel that deliberately picking I'm-not-touching-you fights at work, and then running to teacher crying 'they started it' crocodile tears, would definitely make You the problem in the workplace, in this specific scenario.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
My department is moving to a new building. We’re supposed to move in by the end of next week. We got a tour yesterday. The space that is supposed to be my office is just empty concrete. They haven’t built the walls yet. Half the work benches aren’t even built. The layout was designed by the Engineering department, which has nothing to do with us, so nothing makes sense. There’s rollers for work to go on to roll to QC, but they make a 90 degree turn, which our work totes can’t make. The shelves are designed for huge pallets, not small totes. There’s no room for techs to put spare parts. The boss is blaming the owner. The owner says it was all up to the boss.

I expected a poo poo show, but they really went above and beyond this time. This is going to be one hell of a week.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Domus posted:

The boss is blaming the owner. The owner says it was all up to the boss.

Well, we know how this ends

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on a vacant position for boss.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Sloppy posted:

Well, we know how this ends

Fire the workers.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Breetai posted:

So did you tell the dude yes pursuant to your bosses' approval and then just not say anything so he assumed the approval was granted?

Precisely.

I convinced boss to let it go by couching it as a prearranged temporary schedule change.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Domus posted:

My department is moving to a new building. We’re supposed to move in by the end of next week. We got a tour yesterday. The space that is supposed to be my office is just empty concrete. They haven’t built the walls yet. Half the work benches aren’t even built. The layout was designed by the Engineering department, which has nothing to do with us, so nothing makes sense. There’s rollers for work to go on to roll to QC, but they make a 90 degree turn, which our work totes can’t make. The shelves are designed for huge pallets, not small totes. There’s no room for techs to put spare parts. The boss is blaming the owner. The owner says it was all up to the boss.

I expected a poo poo show, but they really went above and beyond this time. This is going to be one hell of a week.

Maybe your dumb as gently caress boss and stupid as gently caress owner could dig deep and hire a competent project manager.

Literally one person with the intelligence to effectively communicate and the authority/initiative to make that communication happen would have avoided all of these problems.

Might as well put a unicorn on that wishlist tho

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Boss: DO, when are you going to move these things to where they need to be?

Me: when I have time, I'm focusing on that job that has to be done asap.

Boss: so when are you going to move those things?

Me: alright, I'll make sure to do it before lunch.

Boss: that's way too late, never mind.

Five minutes later the man is moving the things himself. If you wanted me to drop what I was doing and move the things right now you could have just said so.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
People like this, also like my boss, they just wanna make up scenarios where people fail them. I think they derive pleasure or vindication from it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Boss: so I need you to buy-into this policy of us not fixing known flaws with our products for free outside the warranty period. What do you think we should do instead?

Me: if it’s a flaw, especially one we know of and have service bulletins for, and it’s baked into the design, I would fix that specific flaw as customers report it for free, indefinitely. Both for ethical and business/reputation reasons.

Boss: so you’d just fix EVERYTHING for free forever?!?!

Me: no, just the design flaws that we actually have service bulletins for.

Boss: hmmmmmm :thunk: seems expensive.

Me: …

Boss: yea we’re not doing that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Train an AI to automatically fix the problem. Duh.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Boss: so I need you to buy-into this policy of us not fixing known flaws with our products for free outside the warranty period. What do you think we should do instead?

Me: if it’s a flaw, especially one we know of and have service bulletins for, and it’s baked into the design, I would fix that specific flaw as customers report it for free, indefinitely. Both for ethical and business/reputation reasons.

Boss: so you’d just fix EVERYTHING for free forever?!?!

Me: no, just the design flaws that we actually have service bulletins for.

Boss: hmmmmmm :thunk: seems expensive.

Me: …

Boss: yea we’re not doing that.

I've got an easy fix: Don't issue any more service bulletins.

Tell your boss I'm management material and my PMs are open if he wants to discuss a compensation package.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Had another talk with my former team lead about how they talked me out of resigning in January and convinced me to wait 3 months. We're nearing April. 👀

My main concern was that the manager who denied a year's worth of my work + a raise, focused on dumb little assignments they gave me, was now at home with burnout. I really don't want to hand them my eventual resignation through a screen.

Ironically, one of the dumb assignments was "make a list of process problems in our org + viable solutions", and I actually did list "[manager] is overworked and we should hire more people to offload them, before they get a burnout". :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nothing will ever change, loot the inventory closet on the way out.