Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Brightman posted:

I choose to believe Guilly won't kill the proletariat.

Guilly is a bird of the people, she would never harm a member of the working class but if there was as a king or a billionaire in that room their head would have come off immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
prison guards aren't the right kind of oppressors.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Keromaru5 posted:

I saw it, I couldn't unsee it.

this frickin' rules, fryman

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
love Fami’s running posture 10/10 no notes

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

yum posted:

love Fami’s running posture 10/10 no notes

she runs like Tina from Bobs Burger

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Captain Oblivious posted:

If anything ever happens to Guilly I’ll kill everyone in this chapter and then myself

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerkface posted:

she runs like Tina from Bobs Burger

Welp, there's my dub headcanon.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I feel like we’re missing an arc here though. Asa went from skeptical of the church to a famous public celebrity representing the church to assaulting the government all completely off screen, excepting a blink and you miss it fight with Yoshida. Lots of stuff has been going on in her life and the world at large that we haven’t really gotten to see her react to.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So initially when I saw Guilly I thought, "oh, guillotine with a crow, that makes sense" but looking at her again...that's not a crow. I'm not sure what it is, and also, are those ears above it's beak? Like human ears? Or is that just a normal feature for a bird kinda like how pigeons have something there? Either way they're terrific.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Brightman posted:

So initially when I saw Guilly I thought, "oh, guillotine with a crow, that makes sense" but looking at her again...that's not a crow. I'm not sure what it is, and also, are those ears above it's beak? Like human ears? Or is that just a normal feature for a bird kinda like how pigeons have something there? Either way they're terrific.

I think she's a pigeon.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think she's a pigeon.

Yeah, I also think she's a pigeon. She's just that signature Rock Dove beak.

Edit:

Wait, no, I thought it was a cere but someone on Twitter just pointed out those little things on her beak are probably actually ears.

https://x.com/Chainsawctopus_/status/1767930430232391869?s=20

Guilly needs extra ears so she can always hear the will of the people.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 13, 2024

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Maybe but it's probably just some amalgam, like I do think those are human ears above its beak, which looks a lot sharper and more curved than a pigeon's imo. It also looks like it's probably yellow since it's white in the manga, and the rest of it is black which doesn't read like pigeon to me either. Mostly I just don't see a big connection to pigeons and a guillotine.

It'd help if it made a bird noise instead of sorta saying it's name.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

been having this recurring daydream during work today where im just hearing guillotine but every time MC RIde goes to say "guillotine" the sound gets replaced by a demon bird shrieking GYOHNEE lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

copy posted:

been having this recurring daydream during work today where im just hearing guillotine but every time MC RIde goes to say "guillotine" the sound gets replaced by a demon bird shrieking GYOHNEE lol

lmao

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

copy posted:

Just made me realize you're supposed to be hearing GYOHNEE like you would pronounce guillotine.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
It's absolutely supposed to be a corruption of the word guillotine that's turned into some kind of hosed up Pokemon cry.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Guilly needs extra ears so she can always hear the will of the people.
Helps that Falling had some extra.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Neo_Crimson posted:

It's absolutely supposed to be a corruption of the word guillotine that's turned into some kind of hosed up Pokemon cry.

Fami literally fights like a Pokemon trainer with the way she summons monsters to do battle for her so I suspect the reference may be intentional.

Who's that Devilmon?!

It's Guillotine!!!

GYOHNEE!

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

My personal theory: Fami isn't actually powerful, which is why she's relying on idiot duo Asa/Yoru and contracted/pokeball devils. Famine is something people are always going to be afraid of, but like what Yoru is going through that fear is probably much diminished in this time period from what it once was.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Janissary Hop posted:

My personal theory: Fami isn't actually powerful, which is why she's relying on idiot duo Asa/Yoru and contracted/pokeball devils. Famine is something people are always going to be afraid of, but like what Yoru is going through that fear is probably much diminished in this time period from what it once was.

She's also not that smart. Notice how she mentions Devils under her control are much weaker, but she was planning to put War under her control. As in, the Devil she needed as strong as possible to fight Death.

Now, I saw this brought up last as a criticism of Part 2, but I think it's intentional. Fami's been trying to play at the Makima role (intimidating and morally ambiguous supposed ally of the protagonist), complete with mind control powers and a ominous-but-polite conversation with a badass from Public Safety... but if you look at how things play out, she's not living up to her predecessor. Almost every plan Fami has made has failed big time, and her most effective underling just talks about how much better things would be if Makima was still around. Fujimoto's a good enough writer that I assume this much time on why a villain is a failure isn't meant to make us go "Ah, her fiendish cunning is unmatched."

Mind, I don't know why Fami's such a failure as a villain in a meta sense, but I also thought Makima actually liked Denji on some level, (instead of her just having feelings for Chainsaw Man) so I've learned to distrust my own predictions to an extent.

(That said, on the Makima note, I find it really interesting that one of the emotions Nayuta associated with Denji was pity. Looking forward to seeing her again, since the latest Asa scenes make it seem much more likely she's still kicking around somewhere.)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Janissary Hop posted:

was thinking on a similar track, but wondered if fami's power is sorta relative-- playing off of starvation, she can exert more control based on how far removed a devil is from their nature

can't really square it with the fire devil situation tho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the idea is that she was going to weaken, subjugate, and then empower war.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yoshida also has a lot of parallels with makima that feel very deliberate, though he's more of an inverse of her?

the metanarrative approach in part 2 has been interesting because there have been parallels to part 1 (both very blatant and more subtle) set up very regularly, but it's doing much more than just mirroring part 1 even though it's done that a bit at times. i wonder if reze is going to show up this arc

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

lih posted:

yoshida also has a lot of parallels with makima that feel very deliberate, though he's more of an inverse of her?

the metanarrative approach in part 2 has been interesting because there have been parallels to part 1 (both very blatant and more subtle) set up very regularly, but it's doing much more than just mirroring part 1 even though it's done that a bit at times. i wonder if reze is going to show up this arc

It feels like Makima's shadow has been getting bigger as part 2 goes along. Yoshida paralleling her (and, to a lesser extent, Kishibe) was a small thing, as was Yoru being her sister, but then we get Fami trying to be the Dollar General brand Makima, we get Denji's relationship with Asa directly paralleling his decisions with Makima, we get Nayuta grappling with her legacy, we've got both Miri and Barem defining themselves by how they related to Makima's control, and we have Public Safety being completely useless compared to how they were in part 1, due to some combination of Makima using up the best and her knowing how to get the best out of people.

It's another thing that I don't know where it's going, but I think it's going somewhere. Kind of like how Reze is certainly coming back at some point, but she's been away for literal years now, despite all the other weapons being back.

(I think part of it is how Denji and Asa's relationship is dead the second Denji has a real option, of course, but the longer Reze is away, the more dramatic it feels it has to be when she comes back.)

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

but then we get Fami trying to be the Dollar General brand Makima,

so much we don't know about the new devils, but within your larger point i'd argue fami and her apathy is a pretty direct contrast rather than an imitation. she does not seem like she's enjoying this whole thing/wants to get it over with, and the aquarium is the only time i remember her doing something that wasn't in response to other bullshit

kinda makes sense, assuming the whole world stays stable she's got the best trajectory of the four

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Devils are, as a rule, pretty dumb and shortsighted.
Power being the exception.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Honestly I imagine Famine is a lot like Control, in that the true nature of their power is truly through careful planning and strategic contract. This pokeball capture ability probably can lead to a lot of contract fuckery, similar but functionally different to how Makima got her way.

The simplicity of the power somehow allows a lot depth in devils powers, and it’s fun to speculate about.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chiasaur11 posted:

Mind, I don't know why Fami's such a failure as a villain in a meta sense, but I also thought Makima actually liked Denji on some level, (instead of her just having feelings for Chainsaw Man) so I've learned to distrust my own predictions to an extent.

Fami isn't a failure, she's a liar. That's the one thing we know for sure about her because we've seen her lie and withhold information multiple times to multiple characters. That's what Fami does, she tells whoever she's currently talking to whatever she thinks they need to hear to get them to do what she wants. None of what she's doing really adds up or makes sense because it's pretty clear we don't actually know what her true plan is yet.

It doesn't even seem like it's "her plan" all signs point to Fami being under the thumb of the Fire Devil. Like, have you noticed how the devil's she summons start out looking like little burnt corpses? And remember how when Falling was unsummoned she disappeared into flames before going back to being a little burnt corpse? She's just borrowing things from her boss. Fami is one of Chainsaw Man's classic decoy villains.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Fire is absolutely running things behind the scenes of this arc. However we have already confirmed that Denji doesn’t give a gently caress about being on fire so he will be important in defeating the Fire Devil.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like this is the third or fourth time I've seen "actually character x is incompetent" pop up as a theory in this thread and I don't think it's ever been textual

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like this is the third or fourth time I've seen "actually character x is incompetent" pop up as a theory in this thread and I don't think it's ever been textual

counterpoint: yoshida (so far)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Asa is the world’s leading expert in Asanomics, it’s true

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blockhouse posted:

I never said Fami was incompetent, she's clearly very good at whatever it is she's trying to do because this current situation is all part of her plan and it's playing out exactly how she wanted it to go. I just don't think she's the main bad guy, some other jerk is bossing her around.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Fire is absolutely running things behind the scenes of this arc. However we have already confirmed that Denji doesn’t give a gently caress about being on fire so he will be important in defeating the Fire Devil.

This is why the Fire Devil had to hire Fami, Denji doesn't care about being on fire but he HATES being hungry

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I never said Fami was incompetent, she's clearly very good at whatever it is she's trying to do because this current situation is all part of her plan and it's playing out exactly how she wanted it to go. I just don't think she's the main bad guy, some other jerk is bossing her around.

I have my doubts on that.

I mean, I agree with you on a lot of things. That she's been lying a lot to everyone, all the time? That scans. And that Fire is likely pulling the strings? Also likely enough.

But almost every time we've seen an apparent goal from Fami, it seemingly failed. (Asa didn't starve enough to be willing to kill, Yuko's dead as poor PR for dealing with Justice, the Weapons failed in their planned mall massacre, Falling didn't manage to get anything out of Denji and Asa). Now, some of that could be "Ah, but she was really planning something different!", but unlike with Makima, we don't see the benefit, and we're seeing what looks to be reasonably heavy damage in the process. (Losing Justice is a pretty big hit to the cover story, if nothing else.)

It seems less like everything is according to plan, and more like

1) Fami's group, whoever's at the top, can afford to take a lot of hits without major damage.

and

2) Fami cares more about food and amusing herself than whatever the wider goal is.

Again, that many losses without clear payout seems to me to be a bad sell for "Ah ha! It was my plan all along!". Sure, films and books try it, but I respect Fujimoto enough to think he's not going for something that was getting old when the Dark Knight did it over a decade ago.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

the incompetent characters...are coming from inside the thread...

Malah
May 18, 2015

Figures that Famine devil would be a master of gaslighting.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Just made me realize you're supposed to be hearing GYOHNEE like you would pronounce guillotine.
holy poo poo I can't not hear it now

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Guilly is incompetent

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
YOU TAKE THAT BACK, YOU JERK

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

On the contrary, Gully is scarily competent, considering they managed to easily slice up guns yet didn’t leave a scratch on the people holding them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everyone in the manga is extremely loving competent at a small handful of specifics things and absolutely incompetent at everything else. Makima and Kishibe might be the biggest exceptions.