Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

moist turtleneck posted:

it doesn't matter if conglomo corp says they wont give you more money unless you accept the engineer/architect monikers designed by HR

Blue Footed Booby posted:

The humble ones call themselves programmers or developers.

Like, I have no idea what my title is, because it doesn't matter. I may technically be a software engineer. But I'm not gonna call myself that because software engineering isn't real engineering. But some people call themselves that in casual conversation, and they're usually the ones with Opinions, ime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

The humble ones call themselves programmers or developers.
That is very accurate, now that I think about it

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder how much linkedin culture caused the rise of people giving a poo poo about those titles

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

P.E. speaking*: engineers have always sucked. They're told they're super smart and important from a young age, their co-workers and sometimes superiors have to defer to their decisions, but they typically aren't in management (for good reason since they don't understand people) and resent this, assuming since they're good at math they're good at everything and should be in charge. Clearly they know all relevant facts or can assume the rest for every problem in the world and conclude the cause as solely technical inefficiencies which can be fixed by the right plucky individual if people WOULD JUST loving LISTEN. If you take away the "good at math" thing and "not in management" you get Musk, which I think is why he keeps calling himself an engineer and should be used as an example in the P.E. examination ethics section as a Cautionary Tale (jk, I've taken the exam and about a dozen practice ones and saw maybe 2 or 3 ethics questions total. Hard to square the 'ethics' circle with what a lot of engineers are tasked with doing daily)

I've seen engineers make moonshine in stills held together with lead solder thinking that activated carbon would "filter that out", I've had to heavily revise reports from P.E.s with multiple degrees full of 5th grade grammar and spelling mistakes with no coherent structure, I've pressed libertarian engineers who want no government with "how would you get work?" and "do you want Comcast in control of your water, electricity, and roads?" and gotten back blank stares. For some reason the worst was a story I heard as an intern from a coworker who spent 40 years with the department of transportation and told me about an engineer he knew for years who got his PhD and immediately updated his business cards, letterhead, etc., to reflect this and WOULD NOT RESPOND if you called him by anything other than "Doctor". Fuuuuuuck you, try that at a jobsite and get (rightfully) bullied out of there within an hour (not that they'd spend more than an hour at any site).

Like, I have no idea what my title is, because it doesn't matter. I may technically be a software engineer. But I'm not gonna call myself that because software engineering isn't real engineering. But some people call themselves that in casual conversation, and they're usually the ones with Opinions, ime.

lol i was working as a systems analyst at a place that called my role "Problem Solver", which I refused to put on my resume because if I saw that on a resume i would throw it in the trash.

*Never used my stamp (was/am always in the field and barely do any design work), just work in civil/environmental/construction and it helped me get my current job. And stamps/embossers are cool.

edit: just thought about how many Effective Altruist engineers i've known and how their whole argument is based on premises like the fields of Economics and Public Health being 100% solved and mathematically accurate, how it makes sense that all the top E.A.s focus on hoarding their wealth and buying mansions (for the greatest good), and how loving dumb the worry over poo poo like Roko's Basilisk is when we already have manmade horrors beyond our comprehension at home.

Dance McPants fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 14, 2024

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

Dance McPants posted:

P.E. speaking*: engineers have always sucked. They're told they're super smart and important from a young age, their co-workers and sometimes superiors have to defer to their decisions, but they typically aren't in management (for good reason since they don't understand people) and resent this, assuming since they're good at math they're good at everything and should be in charge. Clearly they know all relevant facts or can assume the rest for every problem in the world and conclude the cause as solely technical inefficiencies which can be fixed by the right plucky individual if people WOULD JUST loving LISTEN. If you take away the "good at math" thing and "not in management" you get Musk, which I think is why he keeps calling himself an engineer and should be used as an example in the P.E. examination ethics section as a Cautionary Tale (jk, I've taken the exam and about a dozen practice ones and saw maybe 2 or 3 ethics questions total. Hard to square the 'ethics' circle with what a lot of engineers are tasked with doing daily)

I've seen engineers make moonshine in stills held together with lead solder thinking that activated carbon would "filter that out", I've had to heavily revise reports from P.E.s with multiple degrees full of 5th grade grammar and spelling mistakes with no coherent structure, I've pressed libertarian engineers who want no government with "how would you get work?" and "do you want Comcast in control of your water, electricity, and roads?" and gotten back blank stares. For some reason the worst was a story I heard as an intern from a coworker who spent 40 years with the department of transportation and told me about an engineer he knew for years who got his PhD and immediately updated his business cards, letterhead, etc., to reflect this and WOULD NOT RESPOND if you called him by anything other than "Doctor". Fuuuuuuck you, try that at a jobsite and get (rightfully) bullied out of there within an hour (not that they'd spend more than an hour at any site).

lol i was working as a systems analyst at a place that called my role "Problem Solver", which I refused to put on my resume because if I saw that on a resume i would throw it in the trash.

*Never used my stamp (was/am always in the field and barely do any design work), just work in civil/environmental/construction and it helped me get my current job. And stamps/embossers are cool.

edit: just thought about how many Effective Altruist engineers i've known and how their whole argument is based on premises like the fields of Economics and Public Health being 100% solved and mathematically accurate, how it makes sense that all the top E.A.s focus on hoarding their wealth and buying mansions (for the greatest good), and how loving dumb the worry over poo poo like Roko's Basilisk is when we already have manmade horrors beyond our comprehension at home.

The amount of engineers I've met who claim to be able to "just solve" major societal issues because they can math good is staggering. The complete disconnect between their perceptions and reality would be funny if they weren't so awful. Also, lmao E.A. is just pure, distilled engineerbrained bullshit.

I support women's wrongs. Men have had sole dominion of bugfuck stupid construction/engineering ideas for too long, it's high time women get in on it. It's equality.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 14, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
America has already had an engineer as president.

His name was “Herbert Hoover”.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
“Arrogant jerk who’s sure he knows everything because of some past successes” is not exclusive to engineers. Musk’s business mistakes are all classic hell idiot manager mistakes and have nothing to do with whether he wrote some throw-away code 30 years ago. Programmers who go into management are definitely prone to certain patterns of mistakes, but Musk doesn’t really follow that pattern; in fact, his engineering management is specifically terrible because he knows almost nothing about engineering. He calls himself an engineer because it’s a high-status term among his friends, which is well-trodden ground, just like rich people in the country calling themselves farmers.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
his title at tesla is TechnoKing which should have instantly tanked the stock

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dance McPants posted:

Elon Musk calling himself an engineer infuriates the engineers I know, because he doesn't even have an engineering degree. He's got a BA in Physicis and a BS in Economics.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Oh he’s got BS alright.

And isn’t tunnel lady not actually a software engineer but a *manager* of software engineers?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Her voice sounds like an AI reader.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I got the impression that the tunnel lady is pretty high up on the spectrum

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Nitrox posted:

Cooooolzies. Every software engineer I've ever met was extremely overconfident in their knowledge on any matter whatsoever, including internal medicine, history, sciences and of course, construction. I do not know where it comes from, but this trend scares the hell out of me.

I've had the same experience with (IT) architects. One of which just booked a 30 minute meeting with me early next week to tell me all about how he's about to lift and shift all of our poo poo into the cloud instead of replacing our aging virtualisation rig. They even claim we'll save money doing this. I wish I was joking.

I need more alcohol :suicide:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Wibla posted:

I've had the same experience with (IT) architects. One of which just booked a 30 minute meeting with me early next week to tell me all about how he's about to lift and shift all of our poo poo into the cloud instead of replacing our aging virtualisation rig. They even claim we'll save money doing this. I wish I was joking.

I know you already know what the outcome is but we're a year out from that same work and have been clawing back servers from the cloud for a few months now.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dance McPants posted:

I've had to heavily revise reports from P.E.s with multiple degrees full of 5th grade grammar and spelling mistakes with no coherent structure,

I've spent the last 15 years making pretty good money by having enough engineer brain to understand this kind of writing, but not a terminal case, so I can translate it to normal human language.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah I keep waiting for the rugpull where aws is like um, actually all of this costs three times as much and what're you gonna do about it

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Wibla posted:

As a fellow sufferer of the pain caused by IT architecture functions, you have my sympathy.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

wesleywillis posted:

I'm no engineer but I think the cables should be continuous and running through a hole in the top horizontal cross piece rather than eye bolts through the side. And I'm looking at this on my phone but it *looks* as though two of the cable clamps were installed properly, but it's blurry on the phone screen. I doubt that they were properly torqued and retorqued though.

E: oh poo poo that horizontal piece at the top is like a 1x6 or something.

I'd be more worried about the horizontal 1×6 at the bottom that appears to be holding a bunch of the load of the cantilevered beams.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BrotherJayne posted:

Man, I want to poop there

Same. There's something comforting about overbuilt toilets.

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Wibla posted:

If you guys aren't a Proxmox /Hyper-V / AHV shop, wouldn't VMware's recent price gouging actually lend some credence to your architect's claims?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We have both vSAN and Hyper-V, so we could move our vmware workloads over easily enough.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

skybolt_1 posted:

If you guys aren't a Proxmox /Hyper-V / AHV shop, wouldn't VMware's recent price gouging actually lend some credence to your architect's claims?

Yes and No. Broadcoms attitude and treatment of VMware customers def managed to nuke any goodwill there, but transitioning to hyper-v or another hypervisor in a lot of cases makes more sense then the continued expendature for cloud stuff that is internet dependant, and in a lot of cases doent play well with legacy platforms well especially given stuff that is latency sensitive, or runs critical operations in manufacturing facilities. Also cloud stuff is just frigging expensive and thats a constant monthly op-ex instead of a cap ex every few years pretty much. if all of your machines (or cloud machines) are perfectly sized and matched to the demand there is the potential you can save money, but that by itself is a bit of a talent and once you take backups and disaster recovery into account, its debateable. basically a strong understanding of expenses vs flexibily and performance as well as a complete reliance on your perfect redundant internet connections that always fail over and back flawlessly (they wont) its a complicated topic.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

My previous job mixed all the historic data storage to the cloud and it immediately cost like ex as much and by that point they'd spent so much on the migration it was too expensive to move back.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Well this turned into crappy cloud construction quickly :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah sorry didnt even click what thread this was, i just saw cloud migrations and groaned. sorry bout the rant.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Wibla posted:

It's pretty dumb the way the IT industry has coopted 'architect' and 'engineer'. Stolen valor you associates degree motherfuckers, where's your loving liability.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sloppy posted:

It's pretty dumb the way the IT industry has coopted 'architect' and 'engineer'. Stolen valor you associates degree motherfuckers, where's your loving liability.

lol i'll be sure to tell the finance department they can cancel our professional indemnity insurance

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Sloppy posted:

Jokes on you. I’m a software engineer and I don’t have a degree!

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
What's next, an IT doctor?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Medical Engineer?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Nitrox posted:

What's next, an IT doctor?

When I was working a triage ticket queue several jobs back on both the low end and the high end of escalations we'd joke that we were internet EMS and then internet ER doctors to people as a way to explain our job. Valor already stolen.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Uthor posted:

Medical Engineer?

https://you.ubc.ca/ubc_programs/biomedical-engineering/

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

skybolt_1 posted:

It feels pretty easy to say "You want us to get out of being captive to VMWare's pricing scheme by becoming captive to a cloud provider's pricing scheme instead? We should have infrastructure with a predictable long-term TCO."

vvv Yes, but it took me 19 years to get here.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Mar 15, 2024

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eletriarnation posted:

" infrastructure with a predictable long-term TCO."

did you time travel here from :regd05: lol

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

"infrastructure with a predictable long-term TCO."

:laffo:

Get the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck outta here :downsrim:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I mean, you can try? :shrug: Sorry, I really don't get why it's so hilarious.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
if you OWN your own fiber maybe. even leasing it becomes prohibitively expensive. id ballpark my spend for leasing shadow fiber at like eh 1.6 million a year and goes up like 7-10% a year conservatively

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

We already have redundant data centers, have an extensive, redundant fibre network, and run workloads that have to serve local users even if we have to disconnect from the Internet. So yeah, of course we should go cloud.

:negative:

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Oh, OK, well I clearly didn't know any of that. I was literally just talking about the cost of basic virtualization infrastructure, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Oh, OK, well I clearly didn't know any of that. I was literally just talking about the cost of basic virtualization infrastructure, sorry.

My last reply was not in any way directed at you, it was just raging at the sheer idiocy of it all.