Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Caught up on Frieren at last.

Pretty good though I think it's still tracking in third place for me this season. Serie reminds me of a frog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Caught up on Frieren at last.

Pretty good though I think it's still tracking in third place for me this season. Serie reminds me of a frog.

what do you have in first and second

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

I probably wouldn't put frieren in third but dungeon meshi is great as expected and apothecary diaries is covering a part of the light novel that I like a lot. So they're all in the same ballpark currently imo

(The dungeon meshi manga is clearly better than the frieren manga imo, although I can't be specific about why that is. Frieren anime has been a big glowup of the source material)

sharkmafia fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 18, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Southern Cassowary posted:

what do you have in first and second

Bravern first and then Dungeon Meshi. Bravern is exactly the kind of show I've needed for a good long while and if it sticks the landing it might just jump into being an absolute favourite for me.

Frieren does have the best ED for two seasons running though and it's not close.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 18, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

Bravern first and then Dungeon Meshi. Bravern is exactly the kind of show I've needed for a good long while and if it sticks the landing it might just jump into being an absolute favourite for me.

Frieren does have the best ED for two seasons running though and it's not close.

bravern's on my catchup list but i've got frieren above dungeon meshi mostly on premise and vibe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I tried a bunch of shows and did care to continue them for one reason or another. Mostly because they didn't seem to innovate on what they were adapting that I had already read (basically the majority of the isekai/fantasy). I also just didn't go past the first episode of Hokkaido Girls and I don't think I missed anything.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Watched a few more episodes because I started typing about it and don't like to post nonsense. Idk. It has a few funny bits, but it also spends a lot of it's run time on doing the typical mean-spirited OnePunch Man, but without the punch line. Though I do agree that it improved after the first 3-4(?) episodes. It nearly got to the point where I felt it could work as a farce, and having one overpowered weirdo interact with the world could work, but bringing along a whole fan club of animal eared girls doesn't help matters imo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Also, Hikari no Ou finished. Could have been pretty neat if they had more than the animation budget of a 2000s era flash movie. RIP.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So that Sand Land show is airing on Wednesday. Not familiar with the manga, it any good?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its decent but the original manga is only like 200 pages long in total, its just an extended oneshot basically. they're gonna have to flesh it out to get it to even a one cour anime's length.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I'm really enjoying frieren, apothecary diaries, and bravern this season. Frieren is the show I most look forward to each week but I couldn't tell you why, I don't think it's necessarily the best I just like the vibe

I also watched a big chunk of undead unluck before dropping it right near the end - it started great, but what on earth happened in the second cour? I assume there was some kind of enormous production disaster? Heavy use of extended flashbacks of past episodes and any new scenes were limited to stationary characters talking, to the point where it was so bad I couldn't even finish it. An even more spectacular collapse than the infamous end of the original Evangelion. Does anyone know what happened?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Haven't watched it but a comparison to the production implosion of Eva piques my ears. Is it actually that much of a "what happened" drop off?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

its decent but the original manga is only like 200 pages long in total, its just an extended oneshot basically. they're gonna have to flesh it out to get it to even a one cour anime's length.

Wasn't it released as a movie already and this is just a TV edit of it?

It feels like a similar model to what Tatami Time Machine Blues did for its D+ release, so I'd be surprised if it was even half a cour long.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Arc Hammer posted:

Haven't watched it but a comparison to the production implosion of Eva piques my ears. Is it actually that much of a "what happened" drop off?

Yeah I'm not exaggerating, I think it's even worse than Eva's. The flashbacks are about three times longer than they have any right to be just to try and fill time, and the rest of the episode is characters sitting at a table expounding, with effectively no actual animation (think Pokemon - mouths flapping, but nobody actually moves at all)

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Wasn't it released as a movie already and this is just a TV edit of it?

It feels like a similar model to what Tatami Time Machine Blues did for its D+ release, so I'd be surprised if it was even half a cour long.

Half of it is an extended version of the movie as episodes, the other half is a new story in the setting that had some cooperation by Toriyama.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The tweet I saw said that the first 7 episodes were airing on Wednesday so I'm guessing that those are the film sliced up into episodic chunks. Then starting next Wednesday the 28th the new episodes are airing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Splode posted:

Yeah I'm not exaggerating, I think it's even worse than Eva's. The flashbacks are about three times longer than they have any right to be just to try and fill time, and the rest of the episode is characters sitting at a table expounding, with effectively no actual animation (think Pokemon - mouths flapping, but nobody actually moves at all)

I imagine some of it was just filibustering for time as they had a clear end point but not enough planned material to get there so they just filled time with flashbacks including a glorified clip show. Idk how it all gets done in the manga fwiw but it's likely not at the same level. As for lack of animation, I'm fairly certain that's because they were shoving all of the resources towards these last few episodes and the back to back fights in it

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Yeah, the latest couple of episodes have been fine. I assume it was just a production crunch, I've seen much worse.

This isn't a I'm A Spider, So What? type of situation

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not gonna defend the flashbacks, they take the wind out of the sails of some really great moments, but yeah that poster was kind of overstating things. My guess is that they wanted to end at a specific point and needed to massage the material to drag it out.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Arist posted:

I'm not gonna defend the flashbacks, they take the wind out of the sails of some really great moments, but yeah that poster was kind of overstating things. My guess is that they wanted to end at a specific point and needed to massage the material to drag it out.

I'm thinking they were planning on pushing for another arc (Manga Spoilers: Summer Arc would have been a great place to stop), but it wasn't happening. So they scaled back, but since they already had two seasons booked there was some stretching needed.

Overall it's been a really good adaptation, especially since they were able to make to early part of the story really good. The manga kind of sucked til the author got things rolling.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-03-18/disney-to-stream-nearly-all-macross-anime-worldwide-in-2024/.208882

Wasn't sure where else to put this. Notably of course it fails to clarify if this includes the US, and it rather hilariously excludes the original series, because of HG, I assume.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it should probably include the US. harmony gold's deal they worked out is basically just a death grip on the original series and do you remember love, everything else is fair game in the US.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2024-03-18/disney-to-stream-nearly-all-macross-anime-worldwide-in-2024/.208882

Wasn't sure where else to put this. Notably of course it fails to clarify if this includes the US, and it rather hilariously excludes the original series, because of HG, I assume.

I think on Big West's site, they did say OG and Do You Remember Love would not be streaming in America

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They will be available to stream on Disney Plus Japan, however. Curious if other countries might also get exemptions.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

spent the afternoon catching up on bravern. just finished episode 9.

loving a this poo poo RULES

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ga-Ga Pi

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

:hai:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

honestly this season whips rear end. frieren, apothecary diaries, bravern, dungeon meshi, and a sign of affection are all absolutely fantastic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
See now why I've got Bravern up top.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

See now why I've got Bravern up top.

yeah it's really good. i also think i had a hole in my life for this kind of show rn. just hitting the spot with super robot energy.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i think i've officially dropped Metallic Rouge...sorry for letting everyone down...

Dungeon Meshi and Tis Time for Torture Princess continue to both be very very good, however, and i'm gonna take a look at what's coming up for spring after i catch up with the latest two eps of the latter

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i think i've officially dropped Metallic Rouge...sorry for letting everyone down...

watch bravern instead

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

Frieren and Undead Unluck top for me

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

watch bravern instead

if i dont start a seasonal when it begins airing i aint ever gonna get around to it brother, apologies

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hell Lord from Tis Time For Torture, Princess is the best dad ever. He's so diabolical.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

alright i was interested in more next season than i anticipated uhhhh gently caress lol

Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf (unless i need to watch the original Spice and Wolf first in which case that aint happening in time inasmuch as the original has been on my radar for a few years, oh well)
Bartender: Kami no Glass (i guess this is also something that already had an anime but seems like something where i don't need to watch the original first)
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night (Doga Kobo ftw)
Mysterious Disappearances (i have a friend hyping this one up though i know nothing about it)
Seiyuu Radio no Uraomote (seems like it could fill the same niche Stardust Telepath did for me)
Girls Band Cry (been hearing a fair bit of hype for this one)
Train to the End of the World (someone posted the PV for this one and it looks like it could be neat)
Tonari no Youkai-san (i really like the idea of a youkai slice-of-life though this does seem like the one i'd be most likely to drop first, willing to give it a shot though)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You don't need to watch the original Spice and Wolf, this is a re-adaptation starting from the beginning

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

You don't need to watch the original Spice and Wolf, this is a re-adaptation starting from the beginning

praise be, 8 anime to keep up with. i'm going to die

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i gotta do my pv interest check also, think i will do that now that i'm caught up on bravern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i gotta do my pv interest check also, think i will do that now that i'm caught up on bravern

the ones for Mysterious Disappearances, Train to the End of the World, and Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night all go pretty hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap3NqCHqZFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP1HMeFxJoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9vm6CUo68U

it was also while PV trawling i learned Girls Band Cry is entirely 3D which, hmm