Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Super manga will be on indefinite hiatus after this week’s chapter:

https://screenrant.com/dragon-ball-super-hiatus-akira-toriyamas-passing/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

I refuse to call Evolution keeping anything alive and Battle of Gods came out in 2012, there was a big gap before then

Yo! Son Goku was late 2008, Episode of Bardock was 2011, Dragon Ball Z Kai was 2009 (forgot that one)...

There was no gap.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Yo! Son Goku was late 2008, Episode of Bardock was 2011, Dragon Ball Z Kai was 2009 (forgot that one)...

There was no gap.

There was if you were an American. Yo! Son Goku never got a US release ever, Episode of Bardock didn't get one until well over a year later. If you're discussing Abridged you're presumably discussing a US audience because nobody in Japan cares about that poo poo.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Larryb posted:

rip

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Turns out they never did beat Black Frieza

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

No Dignity posted:

Turns out they never did beat Black Frieza

he's too strong

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
they will probably continue it eventually but i expect a big dip in quality to what was already a mediocre manga without toriyama to mediate toyotoro's worst impulses

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
El Negro Freezer

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

We could have had Gohan Blanco vs Frieza Negro

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There was if you were an American. Yo! Son Goku never got a US release ever, Episode of Bardock didn't get one until well over a year later. If you're discussing Abridged you're presumably discussing a US audience because nobody in Japan cares about that poo poo.

Kai was in 2009, and aired in America in 2010. We also had games and various other things. Again: There was no gap.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I purchased Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot in honor of Toriyama's passing, and it's good. Amazing fan-service game with a ton of content.

It also confirms that Vegeta murdered at least 4 Namekian children in that one village, 3 of whom were together in a little group. Not cool!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i looked at dragon ball games and there was a period of dormancy between 1997 (final bout lol) when GT ended and 2001 which would be when the series became international and became even more popular than it ever and there hasnt been one since

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 18, 2024

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
final bout was even re-released years later in the united states to meet the demand for dragon ball and ruined many childhoods

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kurui Reiten posted:

Kai was in 2009, and aired in America in 2010. We also had games and various other things. Again: There was no gap.

I think you're assuming games matter to people a lot more than they did. Dragonball games never stopped but that didn't mean Yo! Son Goku wasn't a big deal in Japan because it was actual new Dragonball content and not the 100,000th game. Liking Dragonball doesn't mean you like Dragonball games or consider them a valid replacement for actual new content.

I don't think DBZA was that big but going "but there were GAMES" feels like... yeah, there were games, but it isn't until you get like the wacky Super Heroes stuff or the Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans thing that people treat them as something actually new.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 18, 2024

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they will probably continue it eventually but i expect a big dip in quality to what was already a mediocre manga without toriyama to mediate toyotoro's worst impulses

Honestly, a fun exhibition fight between Goku and Gohan at their strongest, and Vegeta and Piccolo and Broly all at around the same level with an even stronger Freeza out there as an ever looming threat…I’m perfectly happy with that being the canonical ending of Dragon Ball. You still need to massage End of Z into it a little bit, but otherwise it works for me. Let it end.

I’m sure they’ll make *something* someday, but without Toriyama, I’m happy calling it done here.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Larryb posted:

Rip. Series ends with frieza winning happily ever after.

I think Super only lasted this long with toriyama input and Toyotaro was struggling to keep it together

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Honestly, a fun exhibition fight between Goku and Gohan at their strongest, and Vegeta and Piccolo and Broly all at around the same level with an even stronger Freeza out there as an ever looming threat…I’m perfectly happy with that being the canonical ending of Dragon Ball. You still need to massage End of Z into it a little bit, but otherwise it works for me. Let it end.

I’m sure they’ll make *something* someday, but without Toriyama, I’m happy calling it done here.

I assume Daima’s still happening at the very least

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dragon Ball Gold reboots the franchise in an alternate universe in 5 years.

A whole new generation starts with a Pilaf Arc that has less jokes about Bulma's penis.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

We’re living in the ‘History of Trucks’ timeline.

In another timeline, someone travels from the future to give Toriyama the brain tumor medicine and that world’s Super series continues.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Nanigans posted:

Vegeta finally beating goku as well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm sure it'll continue eventually but I donno. I just have a hard time buying they'll make it sing like Toriyama did and I'm sure that no matter what the truth is anything I dislike will get mentally written off as "if only Toriyama was still around"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I mean at that point it's just back to the GT/Heroes era of the franchise. The IP is technically still alive but not for anything worthwhile.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If your new villain doesn't have an incredibly stupid pun based around food they are a failure.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mycot posted:

I mean at that point it's just back to the GT/Heroes era of the franchise. The IP is technically still alive but not for anything worthwhile.

the anime for db super has a decent track record, esp. when compared to the same bits in the manga, so im cautiously optimistic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah it was good because Toriyama was doing the story outline

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I watched the first Tenkaichi Budokai with my kids yesterday. It was a trip. My toddler called Goku and Krillin the "strong babies." I asked what he thought of Yamcha and he replied "no cool." He marked out hard for Goku vs. Jackie Chun, the OG Kamehameha beam struggle, Roshi pretending to be drunk ("Old man funny!"), Goku's monkey style, Goku going Great Ape. He was devastated when Goku lost.

Lots of hasty fast forwarding through the panty humor. We outright skipped the whole Namu vs. Ranfan fight.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

I'd have more faith if they entrusted the series to Dragon Garow Lee instead of Toyotaro.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ImpAtom posted:

I do wonder why they've never released Yo Son Goku over here

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I think you're assuming games matter to people a lot more than they did.
op i dont know how to tell you this but dragon ball heroes came out in 2010, is still running, and has made literally a billion dollars. basically the entire arcade scene in japan was completely reorganized around it. bamco's entire business model changed because of it. it led directly to them creating entire franchises like aikatsu. so no i dont think dbza was more important than the video games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

op i dont know how to tell you this but dragon ball heroes came out in 2010, is still running, and has made literally a billion dollars. basically the entire arcade scene in japan was completely reorganized around it. bamco's entire business model changed because of it. it led directly to them creating entire franchises like aikatsu. so no i dont think dbza was more important than the video games.

As I said before I assume this discussion is about the US market, not Japan, because there is nobody in Japan who cares about DBZA in any fashion that isn't some random lawyer at Toei side-eying it during the daily "do we need to issue a copyright takedown" check. Like if anyone wants to pretend DBZA mattered at all to Japan then lol. I don't even think it was that important to the US market, but at very least it had some impact compared to the none at all it did in Japan.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but at that point what are you even talking about? they're a japanese company, if the IP's alive in japan they're gonna keep it going in america. its dragon ball, if you toss new dragon ball stuff at americans they'll bite. db super would have been a huge hit with or without dbza. fighterz would have sold millions with or without dbza. at what point does it do anything?

like its' weird to say 'we're only talking about america' when talking about a japanese thing. it never had any impact on what they did with it and what they did with it was popular and revitalized it.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

(wistfully) i wish america had a big arcades scene so i could play dragon ball heroes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

(wistfully) i wish america had a big arcades scene so i could play dragon ball heroes
its not a very good game and neither is aikatsu but i did get to experience my like 6'2'' white dude friend patiently waiting in line for the aikatsu machine behind a 5 year old japanese girl

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Dragon Ball Heroes: World Mission on switch is a direct port of it also

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

sure but at that point what are you even talking about? they're a japanese company, if the IP's alive in japan they're gonna keep it going in america. its dragon ball, if you toss new dragon ball stuff at americans they'll bite. db super would have been a huge hit with or without dbza. fighterz would have sold millions with or without dbza. at what point does it do anything?

like its' weird to say 'we're only talking about america' when talking about a japanese thing. it never had any impact on what they did with it and what they did with it was popular and revitalized it.

I think we're discussing different things at this point. I've at no point said that DBZA was responsible for anything. I just said that there was, in fact, a notable period in the US fandom where it wasn't getting new stuff the way Japan was.

(I Also said DBZA had SOME impact but like... I don't think that's wrong, the voice actors got asked to do games and did a goofy dub of the Cell Games Mr. Satan thing. It's not huge but hey, they had an impact.)

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah it was good because Toriyama was doing the story outline

then explain the manga

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Endorph posted:

its not a very good game and neither is aikatsu but i did get to experience my like 6'2'' white dude friend patiently waiting in line for the aikatsu machine behind a 5 year old japanese girl

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kild posted:

then explain the manga

toyotaro is obsessed with power levels

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the tension in the manga adaption of the universal tournament is drained away because its said repeatedly Hit stands no chance against goku because power level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

otoh he did give us ultra instinct master roshi