Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Take it to the dunc technical commentaries, nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Maybe people are smaller in the future

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i think you have not taken into account the Holtzman Effect. rookie mistake.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Arglebargle III posted:

With all the DUNCposting on the internet I saw a couple videos on the ornithopters. Long story short -- insect flight doesn't work for larger bodies due to unavoidable properties of air. Even with future super-materials the wings would probably tear themselves apart flapping fast enough to generate sufficient lift.

They also have machines that fold spacetime. The prescience only lets you avoid Sam Neill when you are Event Horizoning all over the shop.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Kazzah posted:

The last 2 minutes of Dune 3 will be a twilight zone-style reveal where it turns out the characters were ants in a sandpit all along!!

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Sure maybe ornithopters aren't physically feasible but it just wouldn't look the same if they were all using gas-powered golf carts with thick-tread tires and maybe a case of cold ones in the back

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Arglebargle III posted:

With all the DUNCposting on the internet I saw a couple videos on the ornithopters. Long story short -- insect flight doesn't work for larger bodies due to unavoidable properties of air. Even with future super-materials the wings would probably tear themselves apart flapping fast enough to generate sufficient lift.

This doesn’t account for future super duper materials

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

It's scientifically accurate that you could divert pursuing worms by strategically throwing the empties

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arglebargle III posted:

Given how much casual antigrav is around in these movies Im pretty sure they can reduce the amount of lift required

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganisoptera

dragonflies on Earth have had over 2 foot wingspans in the past and they were barely made out of metal

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kazzah posted:

So you're saying they were earthworms?

God Hole posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meganisoptera

dragonflies on Earth have had over 2 foot wingspans in the past and they were barely made out of metal

It's something about vortices and ratio of viscosity to mass flow -- frankly all this aerospace stuff is above my head.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 19, 2024

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I liked this more than the first and I think made me retroactively appreciate the first more, although I haven't rewatched it. I still wish Denis remembered to hire lighting electricians or the colours weren't so desaturated.

I think Chani was a big part of why I enjoyed part 2 more. The changes made to her character over the book were for the better and provided a character to actually sympathize with. I guess it's one of the points of the book but it kinda feels like I haven't been given a reason to care about any of what's happening (as Paul is obviously not somebody to root for), which makes it hard to engage with the movie. Making Chani more of a main character definitely helps though. Acting wise, Tim Chalamet just isn't doing it for me and was blown out of the water by Austin Butler (although the scene where he resigns to his fate and goes south was well acted). Stilgar was great.

When the movie ended the vibe in the audience was basically "huh? That's it? Who are we rooting for?" Hopefully Denis makes part 3 or I think I'll come away from these movies with wondering what the point of any of it was. It doesn't feel like he's gotten to what the movie is about yet, other than maybe the last 20 minutes of part 2. But David Zaslav is a psychopath so who knows.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 19, 2024

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

in the future they develop the technology to put wheels inside of other wheels, it's why the ornithopters work

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

kalel posted:

one can only wonder what kind of concessions he was forced to make to satisfy the bean counters

I mean, we don't have to wonder, it's up there on screen

Probably along the lines of "Idg all these minor characters, cut them out" or "Less politics and economics talk it's boring"

LarsPorsenna
Feb 3, 2024
The Emperor is a forceful character in the book, but he and Fenring are basically the only semi-competent threat to Paul after Paul joins the Fremen.

The movie did a decent job of making Feyd dangerous, and the idea seems to be that the whole edifice of the Imperium is sclerotic and barely functional, as embodied by Walken as a doddering old man. Mohiam says something about him getting kicked out by either Paul or Feyd in the near future, which isn't the situation in the book.

Our choices are either pseudo-Muslim Jihad or Harkonnen Industrial Sadism (Biden vs Trump)
(that's a joke).

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone think the intention is to blend the two Fenrings into one character?

I think that would be a good move, I never really understood or sympathized with Count Fenring in the first 3 books.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Blood Boils posted:

I mean, we don't have to wonder, it's up there on screen

Probably along the lines of "Idg all these minor characters, cut them out" or "Less politics and economics talk it's boring"

the interesting question IMHO is what are the things dv himself wanted to cut or emphasize in the process of adaptation, versus what are the things external forces (the screenwriters, the studio, the herbert estate/kj anderson) wanted him to cut or emphasize. I suspect villeneuve would have liked, in an ideal world, to make an 8 hr dune film to be more faithful to the book, but he was willing to compromise to put the most essential elements (to him) on screen at all. he says as much in the wormriding scene breakdown video, that he's still making peace with the adaptation himself.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean I know the general conception of "studio notes" is evil studio moneymen tearing apart the creative genius of visionary auteurs, and that's definitely a lot of it... But there's also plenty of "notes" that are just producers telling the director why the thing they want to do is unaffordable/unfilmable/problematic/confusing/unnecessary/whatever. Auteur theory is completely fake except in the sense that good directors are people that can consistently construct a great filmmaking team around themselves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Kazzah posted:

I have a theory that the Tleilaxu produced another, slightly Bigger Paul...

quote:

“I was just crying my eyes out the whole movie,” Grimes said, noting that she was particularly moved by the film because the character of Paul (Timothée Chalamet) reminded her of her son X Æ A-12. “I just know X is going to have to go through all this really hosed-up poo poo that sort of mirrors Paul-type stuff,” she said.

In the end, Grimes loved the film so much that she signed on to help market the Warner Bros. movie in an official capacity, agreeing to use her large social media following to promote it.

“I was basically an influencer,” she said of her role.

However, in the weeks leading up to the film’s release, Warner Bros. decided to cut ties with Grimes, the singer alleges. She says it was a result of her posing while reading “The Communist Manifesto,” a clear attempt to troll her billionaire ex-partner. While she was hurt by the decision, Grimes says it was a result of the studio being overly cautious to avoid sparking outrage about some of the more controversial subject matter in the source material.

“There are things that are deeply not woke in the ‘Dune’ universe,” she said.
So like Musk, she has insane fantasies of her own genetic superiority, and they fired her because they anticipated that she'd say insane eugenics poo poo in posts meant to boost the movie. Sounds like a good call.

Edit: I want to peek into the Even Worse Timeline to see those tweets, though. Crazy poo poo about how her toddler is learning to walk and it's like the Weirding Way, or whatever.

By the by, this is why maybe Jodorowsky wasn't the best person to direct a Dune movie, if you care about the message of the source material at all. I think he was pretty high on the idea of a messiah. Like he cast his own son as Paul, subjected him to 2 years of intense martial arts training, and combined with the fact that his father was literally a wizard, it was like he was supposed to be the closest thing to Paul Atreides in real life. I assume Brontis Jodorowsky isn't planning to kill more people than Hitler.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 19, 2024

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
edit:dp, sorry

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Tweets are Messages from the Woke

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Grimes practicing her Bene Geserit voice on the nanny so her son can learn the way of presences and command.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Every rich American has nearly mastered the Voice when talking to their domestic help, they just have to tack on "or I'll have you deported" to the end of their command right now. So close!

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
This is canned spaghetti. Whoever controls it controls the universe.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

KirbyKhan posted:

Grimes practicing her Bene Geserit voice on the nanny so her son can learn the way of presences and command.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnC1N5J10Kc

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Arglebargle III posted:

Everybody forgets about the jet engines.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
all this really hosed-up poo poo that sort of mirrors Paul-type stuff

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
did anyone post this yet because man oh man is she stupid

https://twitter.com/NobleQAli/status/1769629964993802503

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just saw it again. The one part that really feels unnecessary to me is the inclusion of Margot Fenring and her encounter with Feyd. In this version of the narrative it just doesn’t bring much to the table. Are we supposed to believe that her baby will be a threat to Paul? He’s already leaving Arrakis for his galactic jihad, Feyd is dead, and she’s probably only a few months along, to judge from Jessica’s progress. It would have been simpler to cut her character out and simply have Mohiam mention that they have Feyd as an alternative to Paul, and that they plan to breed him with a Bene Gesserit to produce a possible Kwisatz Haderach.

The one scene that absolutely should have been in there was one following the scene in which the Emperor learns that Paul is still alive on Corrino. Have the Emperor meet representatives of the Spice Guild, have him make clear the stakes of Paul being Muad’dib and taking control of Arrakis for galactic civilization, and make clear that he has to attend to the issue personally. It would have been an extra 5 minutes but it would have greatly strengthened the last part of the film.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

MeinPanzer posted:

Just saw it again. The one part that really feels unnecessary to me is the inclusion of Margot Fenring and her encounter with Feyd. In this version of the narrative it just doesn’t bring much to the table. Are we supposed to believe that her baby will be a threat to Paul? He’s already leaving Arrakis for his galactic jihad, Feyd is dead, and she’s probably only a few months along, to judge from Jessica’s progress. It would have been simpler to cut her character out and simply have Mohiam mention that they have Feyd as an alternative to Paul, and that they plan to breed him with a Bene Gesserit to produce a possible Kwisatz Haderach.

It was nice to see a Bene Gesserit doing their core job, manipulating and breeding

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Steve Yun posted:

It was nice to see a Bene Gesserit doing their core job, manipulating and breeding

Sure, but I don’t think it warrants her inclusion when so much else has been cut. It just doesn’t add enough tension or momentum to the narrative to be worth an extra 10 minutes of footage.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

It's also to tell the audience about Feyd, quite literally during her debriefing afterward. It's doing a dual job of showing the BGs trying to keep their own plates spinning while establishing some details about this guy who is supposed to be Paul's dark twin but doesn't get enough time to really show it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

disposablewords posted:

It's also to tell the audience about Feyd, quite literally during her debriefing afterward. It's doing a dual job of showing the BGs trying to keep their own plates spinning while establishing some details about this guy who is supposed to be Paul's dark twin but doesn't get enough time to really show it.

also right afterward Paul drops the bomb out of nowehere that Jessica is Vladimir's daughter, so Fenring's scene directly illustrates to the audience how something like that could just happen

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I think people are also kind of missing the point of the scenes that were included. Like, you all noticed that there's not a single scene with the Emperor that doesn't have Irulan standing next to him and/or speaking for him. Or that Irulan has a lot more screen time than the Emperor himself. Or that all of Irulan's scenes show how even The Emperor is being kept in the dark about lots of things, but SHE (and the other BG) know exactly what is going on the whole time. The scene with Lady Margot is both 1) really loving cool and trippy and ends with the iconic shot of the needle next to Feyd's neck as a really good visual storytelling way of showing that the BG think he's special, 2) shows how they are still moving pieces around even as Paul is stirring poo poo up in on Arrakis. It's important for the plot Denis wanted to tell.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
you can pry the lady fenring scene from my cold dead hands, its by far the best scene in the entire movie and its not particularly close

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

all of the scenes are my favorite scenes. the only problem is that there aren't mooorrreee!!!

strap that french canadian ~auteur~ bastard to a chair and give me the bloated janky 7 hour dune complete cut

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

AnEdgelord posted:

you can pry the lady fenring scene from my cold dead hands, its by far the best scene in the entire movie and its not particularly close

Yeah it's an incredible scene.
Was her outfit changing constantly during that scene or am I just remembering it wrong? It's great, anyway. Things look weird when people step in and out of shadows under the black sun.
(On that note, I haven't seen a single "and furthermore-" post about the black sun anywhere. Either the internet has gotten something right for once, or staying off twitter was a great idea)

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Earlier in the thread someone posted a twitter thread about the black sun visualization making no scientific sense. Which I could have guessed in the middle of watching, but who cares? Looks rad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's a great effect it's just that, to the human eye, the Geidi Prime "black" presumably red dwarf star would look very dim. Unless the Harkonnens can see near IR somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Arglebargle III posted:

It's a great effect it's just that, to the human eye, the Geidi Prime "black" presumably red dwarf star would look very dim. Unless the Harkonnens can see near IR somehow.

Dune is sci fi fantasy it doesn’t matter