Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alphadia Genesis 2 does not let you cure its status equivalent of Doom. The accessory which is named after it and should presumably, I dunno, protect you in some way from it, makes you die faster to the effect so I guess you can ensure.... something? Im not sure because going faster doesnt give you multiple turn, it just means that character is guaranteed to be the first to die on the turn where all your characters die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Always happy to see a talking capybara.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, I think whats happening in Alphadia Genesis 2 is that however the formula for damage works theres some factor which causes you to deal increasing damage over a certain level threshold of enemy defense because I just did an attack that does 3k damage but after being boosted to 140% damage does about 10k, and after being boosted by a multipler of 3, does almost 70k damage.

I did, also, one shot the boss on the first turn.

Edit: Im pretty sure Im about 70% or so through the game and this game has a hero "job" you can unlock that Im not even 50% of the way to.

Edit: "Adds your MND stat to your ATK stat, however MND becomes 1" I think I know whats happening here but that description is awful.

Edit: The very next boss after I discovered this drains your "mnd" stat to stop my setup. This resulted in me instead two shotting the boss and it did not get a single attack off.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 20, 2024

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Googled Alphadia Genesis 2.. and it's half off right now. The paid DLC to make the game easier / less grinder costs more than the game itself right now... I am darkly tempted, lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

avoraciopoctules posted:

Googled Alphadia Genesis 2.. and it's half off right now. The paid DLC to make the game easier / less grinder costs more than the game itself right now... I am darkly tempted, lol

I would urge against this. Its has an atrocious world map, an accessory system that discourages using accessories, a complete gap in spell abilities so bosses are either instant nukes or wait until you can nuke, the writing lacks any charm, and the story itself is giving FF8 a run for its money on how much humans could forget within about 40-60 years

The next 3 bosses just start the fight with a move that counters all magic so you just.... wait them out until that effect ends because magic is just that much better. This goes with two earlier bosses who have a support healer add who starts the fight casting regen on themselves that heals so much health unless you can one shot them (I couldn't quite at the time) they'll fully heal and continue to heal the boss so you just... wait for that effect to end.

Also the math has gotten more confusing because 3x 30,000 damage is now 60 ishk damage so I think there might be a second piece of the forumula that prevents you from rolling over that amount in a single hit because if I do the same thing with a 6 hit skill each hit does over 20k of damage now and ahhhhhhh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ive been calling it alfartia genesis 2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It early on has a character pull aside the others and explain how secret walls work to find extra treasure. After the next dungeon as far as I can tell secret walls never appear again.

Every dungeon contains the same loot: 2 of 4 party member weapon upgrades (which may be the same as what monsters drop so your inventory is lousy with them) and a bundle of stat boosters for each stat. Extremely, agonizingly rarely you get 1 accessory per dungeon, and there is no way to buy accessories especially the ones you actually want that the entire games magic system revolves around.

Edit: they knew their dungeons are so godawful they put, permanently affixed to the floor, colored arrows pointing you the direction to go. All dungeons are entirely linear hallways, any branch off is an immediate dead end.

Edit Edit: This may be the single worst 1v1 fight Ive ever played.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 20, 2024

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I beat mother 3 again first time after the fan translation came out 15 or whatever years ago, it’s real good, better than earthbound for sure. For the ending though, the wiki/people on the internet seem to suggest that at the ending claus and hinawa are revived but it doesn’t really read that way to me. The dragon’s powers are sort of ambiguous

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

I beat mother 3 again first time after the fan translation came out 15 or whatever years ago, it’s real good, better than earthbound for sure. For the ending though, the wiki/people on the internet seem to suggest that at the ending claus and hinawa are revived but it doesn’t really read that way to me. The dragon’s powers are sort of ambiguous

Yeah, I never had that impression, maybe theres some specific vocal tic in the JP dialogue that would make it more obvious they were one of the NPCs in the blacked out sequence after the last needle was pulled, but idk why anyone would assume that otherwise.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alphadia Genesis 2 ends with literally paragraphs of text on a black screen. Not even a chair or clock in sight.

The ending is agony; surprise it was a prequel to Alphadia Genesis 1 the whole time except literally none of it makes sense in that context and the ending has to say the literal single connective tissue between the games, a blue haired girl named Enah, is entirely coincidental and there is no connection or relation between them*.

Thanks a lot game thats surprisingly genocide positive.

I dont think Ill play the third one.

Edit: I cannot stress how ridiculous this ending is, the main story which is entirely fantasy with the most advanced tech being "a boat" and there not being a single ancient technology or anything ends with them building a lightspeed engine to travel to a different world within one year.

*Edit Edit: Oh my god the ending makes less sense now because apparently the two games are in a time loop of causality with Enah but we just literally established Enah from Alphadia Genesis isn't Enah from Alphadia Genesis 2 so garhahahaha

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 20, 2024

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Obviously, you'll need to play Alphadia Neo to get the full story.

Edit - Meant to add :unsmigghh: at the end there.

Paying2Lurk fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Mar 20, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I feel like I should point out that Alphadia is a specific place and it does not have any "Genesis" in Alphadia Genesis 1 and appears only as single mention of a calendar system during the end game text dump of Alphadia Genesis 2, wherein, it is revealed, the planet already existed and had people living on it before the ending person lands their ship there.

Alphadia Neo does not inspire confidence because the thing it wants to direct my attention to is they've added a fishing minigame. Luckily, for now, it seems like there is no PC port so I'd have to play it on my Xbox instead of a portable handheld so maybe I'll just polish off the holy poo poo how many games are there in the Asdivine series.

Edit: I have nowhere else to put this thought but in Alphadia Genesis 2's plot, having Dark Energi is a communicable disease and hereditary and can also just be gained by eating tainted food, something which absolutely nobody knows about due to its origins lost in the mists of time of 40 years ago.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 20, 2024

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't know what's worse; Dragon Quest XI not having enough music to cover its runtime, or Persona 5 actually more than enough music, but you hear 90% of it only once.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The obvious answer is to go the FF7Reb route and have 400 loving different songs .

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://www.gog.com/en/game/alpha_protocol

Oh hey look what game is back on a digital storefront

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Selenephos posted:

huh, i wonder if GOG did some kind of compatibility work? nevermind they made a video about it lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBXbrofwKwM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh that's what he was hinting at at the end of his last video

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how do i get over this lava in the king's field iv treasury...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
never mind i just walked over the lava while shoveling 99 herbs into my mouth and i survived

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Selenephos posted:

oh sweet!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Colonel posted:

never mind i just walked over the lava while shoveling 99 herbs into my mouth and i survived

Just like real life

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

The Colonel posted:

pro gamer move

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Selenephos posted:

Are we that much closer to getting Alpha Protocol 2: Heck on Earth?

Also thanks a ton for the heads up!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
really wanna use tifa more in rebirth, but all my attacks just whiff all the time and miss

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Tifa a ton and never had that issue. That sounds like you're doing something very wrong.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Her focused strike ability and sometimes her dodge attack kind of fall short on moving targets but those were the only two I've experienced as kind of iffy. It feels like they buffed the poo poo out of her unbridled attacks or at least added a lot more mods for it so I mostly stick to those for damage.

Everyone feels so overpowered in that game at some point, they really brought everyone up.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GateOfD posted:

really wanna use tifa more in rebirth, but all my attacks just whiff all the time and miss

I wouldn't say she whiffs all the time, but she has definitely whiffed more attacks than everyone else has combined.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The obvious answer is to go the FF7Reb route and have 400 loving different songs .

It's funny how they come up with excuses to use so many tracks, including stuff from Remake.

"That one Remake track is cool, let's use it once during a side-quest where you're digging up shells with a Chocobo."

Original Stamp song also plays in this one specific location in Gold Saucer (near a picture of Stamp on the wall), and I haven't heard it anywhere else yet.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have now completed every king's field game. well except the psp ones

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i completed that three hour majuular video about kings field and i feel like that's enough of an accomplishment for me

(i think i'd maybe give kings field 4 or shadow tower abyss a shot but i dont think i could get more than 30 minutes into the ps1 games)

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The vocal version of That Person's Name Is is cool cause the lyrics actually tell you who That Person Is.

EDIT: Also I decided to get In Stars and Time after seeing Ibram Gaunt's opinion and after the slow start I find myself actually enjoying it! Combat has a bit of depth despite being very RPG Maker-ish. That said, I do have an important, massive, urgent early game question.

[spoiler]Is there something to get by endlessly dying to the banana? I did it at first to do the daydreaming woman's dialogue but now I'm curious how deep the rabbit hole of embarrassment goes.

As far as I'm aware, no; the purpose of the banana is to let you skip forward from town without needing to go through the sleepover sequence.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh king's field 2 is easier to play than 4 at times if you're emulating. 2's biggest problem is the inconsistent framerate, if you gently caress around with cpu emulation in duckstation to get it running at a steady framerate it's a pretty fun game, probably the best in the entire series on a gameplay level. kf4 is way slower so the bits of it where you have to backtrack around get way more agonizing and there aren't any good online resources to help you figure poo poo out in it at all unlike all the games prior, which have pretty detailed japanese guides at least

kf1 is about as rough as it looks though and kf3 is almost unplayable. shadow tower has a lot of issues but it is at least a vastly more functional game than kf3, i'm honestly astounded how much majuular loves 3 cause while it's a cool game in a lot of respects it is just the most inconsistent and bad-feeling in the entire series lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
overall i'd say king's field 4 is the second best but its slow pace is just too much of a killer for me. it needs to either have less potential to force you into long drawn out bouts of backtracking or it needs to move 1.5x faster, so much of my struggle with playing it was just because the act of moving around took so long i'd lose my drive to explore areas in more depth because even just checking a single room was an ordeal and i'd miss critical poo poo when it blended into the background or was hidden behind corners as a result. playing king's field 2 on duckstation with a smoothed out framerate that game basically felt perfect to me movement wise, still kinda slow and clunky but responsive enough that i never minded having to walk back through the same areas too much. in kf4 it constantly grinded at me and made me kind of angry with the game lol

avoraciopoctules
Oct 22, 2012

What is this kid's DEAL?!

Barudak posted:

I would urge against this

Barudak posted:

I cannot stress how ridiculous this ending is

Fair enough. Pressing F to pay my respects, thank you for playing Alphadia Genesis so I didn't have to.

I will try to keep pressing forward in The Thaumaturge instead. Rasputin was more immediately likeable than I expected, tho I'm expecting that impression may get tempered later on.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i am... really not enjoying the first chunk of shadow tower abyss lol. this feels like they realized shadow tower was too easy so they veered too hard in the opposite direction and now the game has a ton more action game mechanics to make combat feel more satisfying but i barely get anything at all to keep myself alive with and i keep having to trek back and forth between the first hub area and the two dungeons because the repair shop and save station are separated from them by two massive bridges

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Rpg of the year just got announced

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2863840/YIIK_Nameless_Psychosis/

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The header art looks like one of those Facebook avatars

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think it is almost unhealthy how fixated these guys are on "fixing" this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

i think it is almost unhealthy how fixated these guys are on "fixing" this game

Is this their second or third full-rebuild of the same game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It definitely feels like they believe that peoples' problems are with specific aspects of the game rather than with basically the entire product as a whole, so if they turn specific knobs and tweak specific things people will finally grasp how cool and deep the game is.