Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
eh its a complicated topic but when you scale past like 50+ locations globally it becomes a math game.

no worries friend :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

one or 2 locations totally doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Still engineering, in my book. I have a cousin who interned with a group developing better prostheses, which inspired her to go after her Ph.D (in a different field of engineering, but still).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

^^^^that probably would have been my dream if I'd pursued a PhD instead of just getting hammered all the time. I did get offered one, just not in something I actually wanted to do!

I actually briefly thought about studying this, or similar, because my mecheng masters was related to it but I didn't get my poo poo together then got offered job touching computers and decided to be a highly paid drag on society.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Post some hosed up houses

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

titty_baby_ posted:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

:allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Hurricane Ida, 9-1-21. Southern New Jersey.

One side of the street was in the tornado's track.

https://i.imgur.com/liUsvel.mp4

e: there were houses behind that bank of foliage/tree crowns

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwlwzhZwuKw

Sure the scenery is nice but I don't think I would have chosen to live up there. He crawls the ledge at 10 minutes part and more drone footage at 14 minute.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Mmmm, I love organic food

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Better than hucking a piano into a landfill.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

If you were going to hang it like that you could yank all the copper and sell it to a scrapper, too. It would be a lot safer, even.

I don’t fully hate it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
There’s not that much copper in a piano. Anyway, iirc from years ago, it’s just the wood exterior with a vent hood inserted

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
full size pianos have a gently caress off huge iron slab and the rest is of minimal value if it's damaged/worn, especially if the pin block is shot. the iron and its ability to hold a tune are the only valuable parts.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Love catching my shoulder on the legs repeatedly while moving from the stove tot he counter and vice versa.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

`Nemesis posted:

full size pianos have a gently caress off huge iron slab and the rest is of minimal value if it's damaged/worn, especially if the pin block is shot. the iron and its ability to hold a tune are the only valuable parts.

If it's old enough it could be a wooden frame piano, so neither of those valuable parts would be present.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

if you OWN your own fiber maybe. even leasing it becomes prohibitively expensive. id ballpark my spend for leasing shadow fiber at like eh 1.6 million a year and goes up like 7-10% a year conservatively

I am kinda amazed how expensive running fiber is.

We have generation customers who want to split transmission lines and put a new substation in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere, IL. All so they can connect a new wind farm. The utilities stance is you want to connect out in the middle of nowhere, then you need to get a fiber connection out to the new substation for communication and control. At this time, fiber is the only standard the utility recognizes, and is trying to sunset all the random old crap they may still have left.

Always fun to learn that the fiber run will almost double the cost of some of these wind farm projects. But 50-60 miles of fiber will do that.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

This kitchen needs one of those 3d printed source engine error models:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
That's just a standard Japanese grounded outlet? It's safe, but inconvenient.

I've actually seen power strips like that in the US from decades ago.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Iirc this pic gave the interior decorating thread the title "the piano of Damocles."

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Orvin posted:

I am kinda amazed how expensive running fiber is.

We have generation customers who want to split transmission lines and put a new substation in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere, IL. All so they can connect a new wind farm. The utilities stance is you want to connect out in the middle of nowhere, then you need to get a fiber connection out to the new substation for communication and control. At this time, fiber is the only standard the utility recognizes, and is trying to sunset all the random old crap they may still have left.

Always fun to learn that the fiber run will almost double the cost of some of these wind farm projects. But 50-60 miles of fiber will do that.

On the west coast of Norway, they pull fibre alongside the power line for long stretches across fjords etc. Is that not an option there?

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yes if it were new lines being run they'd probably do that at the same time but as they're existing lines then there's likely no existing fibre run and a new one is needed which is a fairly big project given the location/distance I'm guessing.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Just got a glass hob replaced on insurance as it got chipped and that extended into a big crack through it, when the fitters finally came they discovered that it was *glued down*, chalk up another one to the clowns the PO got to do parts of their downstairs remodel.

They had to smash it to get it out, fortunately the work surface is resin cast whatever so there's no visible damage.

Then they chipped the corner off the new one somehow :negative:.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wibla posted:

On the west coast of Norway, they pull fibre alongside the power line for long stretches across fjords etc. Is that not an option there?

In the US the power utilities are generally required to allow the other utilities to share the poles at a municipal level, but not on transmission towers. At no place do the power utilities actually want the telecom stuff anywhere near their infrastructure.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MrYenko posted:

In the US the power utilities are generally required to allow the other utilities to share the poles at a municipal level, but not on transmission towers. At no place do the power utilities actually want the telecom stuff anywhere near their infrastructure.

In this instance, it's the power utility's fibre. Not a third party/telecom...

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Wibla posted:

Generally, the utility fiber runs in the US are in a couple of places. They are run on distribution utility poles, which have a shorter spacing between them. Or if they are running with the transmission structures, it will be on top as a bundled static wire with fiber (usually referred to as OPGW).

The problem here, is that the utility I work for has some long EHV (345kV) lines that go way outside our distribution service territory. They were built decades ago to connect to some mine mouth power plants (didn’t work so well when those coal mines had sulfur coal). And those long lines in the middle of nowhere (specifically another utilities distribution footprint) don’t have any of our fiber nodes anywhere near to connect into. Nor do they have that OPGW on top to just splice a node into the middle (I don’t think that would be particularly viable, but maybe).

New construction inside our distribution footprint typically gets the OPGW, or gets short runs on distribution poles to existing nodes. And the company is still working on getting fiber to all the distribution stations spread around the territory. It’s what’s so fun about having a 100ish year old electric utility. There is some really old stuff floating around still. Some of it was really built to last, and some, not so much.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Wibla posted:

In this instance, it's the power utility's fibre. Not a third party/telecom...

:v:

Reading comprehension is apparently for people with TWO cups of coffee.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Just got a glass hob replaced on insurance as it got chipped and that extended into a big crack through it, when the fitters finally came they discovered that it was *glued down*, chalk up another one to the clowns the PO got to do parts of their downstairs remodel.

They had to smash it to get it out, fortunately the work surface is resin cast whatever so there's no visible damage.

Then they chipped the corner off the new one somehow :negative:.

I understood some of those words!

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Nitrox posted:

I understood some of those words!

My understanding is that he has a type of fragile goblin with a microchip over its rear end. The goblin was about to be railed by some guys but he had glued some chalk to his rear end in a top hat. He had to get the post office out to fix it. They had to beat the goblin, but they did it with some kind of blunt resin object that doesn't leave visible bruising. Unfortunately, they broke the microchip so now if the goblin escapes he'll just have to get another one.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:psyduck:

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
In case anyone was genuinely confused: the glass cooktop was damaged. While trying to remove it, they found it was improperly installed by the previous owner, making it hard to remove. Luckily, the countertops were sturdy and undamaged by the required demolition. But in a sad coincidence, the new cooktop was damaged in installation. Now the cycle begins anew.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot that calling it a hob is probably a UK thing, now that I think about it I have zero idea why. Without looking it up I'm going to guess "brand name that became the common name" or maybe it's short for "hobbly warm topper" or something stupid like thay.

Anyway it's one like this:

They are 100% not supposed to be bonded to the surface, there's supposed to be a gasket that just holds it in place, but I guess if you're part of a building firm that managed to gently caress up a right angle on a pillar you just glue it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

wheatpuppy posted:

In case anyone was genuinely confused: the glass cooktop was damaged. While trying to remove it, they found it was improperly installed by the previous owner, making it hard to remove. Luckily, the countertops were sturdy and undamaged by the required demolition. But in a sad coincidence, the new cooktop was damaged in installation. Now the cycle begins anew.

I thought that they had chipped the countertop five minutes after you posted that they had fortunately not done so. Sorta happier it's the hob, since they should swap it out if they mis-handled it

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anyway it's one like this:

Speaking of crappy construction, there's a lawsuit in progress from people whose kitchens have burned down from cats walking on those stove top touchscreen-like buttons. :supaburn:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I hate my touch screen induction top, but at least it don't cause no fires. It sometimes crashes like a computer if something wet falls onto the button area.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Nuevo posted:

Speaking of crappy construction, there's a lawsuit in progress from people whose kitchens have burned down from cats walking on those stove top touchscreen-like buttons. :supaburn:

My boss had her CO alarm go off because her cat turned on their gas stove on accident. Might have been a knob though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nuevo posted:

Now that is a risk id never have thought of. There is a "lock" mode but all it does is make you hold the button down for a couple of seconds.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I can't wait for touchscreens to be banished in favor of physical knobs and buttons again. They're the worst form of user interface, the only thing they do better than physical components is being able to be dynamically remapped for different usage modes (like on a tablet computer or phone). They make zero sense for appliances that always have the same usage mode.

Couldn't agree more on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The one argument I've heard for them is that they allow the stovetop to e.g. turn itself off on a timer without having to use a motor to physically turn a knob back to 0.