Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

ImpAtom posted:

The Viz translations always have some odd choices that don't necessarily mesh up with what the rest of the translations do, such as using Vegerot instead of Vegetto. (Which isn't necessarily wrong just different.)

It's not wrong, but it looks and sounds wrong and that's all that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drrockso20 posted:

Like I said before I wouldn't be surprised if the game launches with the full Tournament of Power roster as a bit of a flex

I doubt it but we'll have a strong ToP representation for sure. I feel these are happening no matter what, beyond the confirmed characters/forms:
-U2: Ribrianne (normal, Super), Roasie (if only to complete the trio)
-U3: Catopesra (look I want him in okay? Can't imagine he'd get all his modes though, even for BT that's a lot for a minor character), Paparoni/Agnilasa
-U6: Cabba, Caulifla, Kale, Kefla (all base, SS, SS2), Frost (First, Third, Final, 100%)
-U7: Skipping this one, too unimportant
-U11: Jiren (Super Full Power), Toppo (GoD Mode)

ImpAtom posted:

The Viz translations always have some odd choices that don't necessarily mesh up with what the rest of the translations do, such as using Vegerot instead of Vegetto. (Which isn't necessarily wrong just different.)

It is absolutely wrong, but it's trying to do two wrongs to make a right so I understand why they went for it. They couldn't fix Kakarotto this late. Still, it's bad. Then again, so is "Vegito", English translations just can't get this name right.

Also this may as well be Dragon Ball, we have the opening for the Sand Land anime:
https://twitter.com/dbzcom/status/1770445225602756842

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

It is absolutely wrong, but it's trying to do two wrongs to make a right so I understand why they went for it. They couldn't fix Kakarotto this late. Still, it's bad.

There's nothing to fix there. Kakarot is an entirely valid translation for it and significantly more accurate than Kakarotto. Carrot in Japanese is キャロット (Kyarotto). Kakarot is "カカロット." or (Kakarotto)

If you're trying to claim that it should be Kakarotto then you're also trying to claim it should be Carrotto.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 20, 2024

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this may as well be Dragon Ball, we have the opening for the Sand Land anime:

Sand Land sure did make a bold choice to be released at the exact same time and platform as X-Men 97.
Maybe they were hoping people flooding onto D+ to watch XMen would notice the Dragonball art and check it out, but so far it just seems like the move only succeeded in getting itself massively overshadowed immediately.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Do people still care about X-Men?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

hatty posted:

I dunno about the comics but a lot of people have a ton of nostalgia for the 90s cartoon. If I had D+ I'd probably at least check out '97.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

mmkay posted:

Unfortunately the Freeza saga is the last one with good cutscenes, it's almost all still pictures afterwards (unless they added some in an update).

According to the encyclopedia thing, I've only seen roughly 1/4 of the game's movies, though maybe the later ones are lamer.

The DLC seem cool from the one I've played (the world tournament one).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Blaze Dragon posted:

gently caress yeah Kroi

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

hatty posted:

The comics are selling well for the current industry, the cartoon has garnered an enormous amount of nostalgic hype ever since it was initially announced, and even the weird movie people still wont shut up about whenever Marvel Studios will finally add the X-Men, or at least just Wolverine, to the MCU. So I'd say that despite Ike Pearlmutter's best efforts this past decade, a large percentage of people still care about the X-Men. Especially 90's era X-Men.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

If Sand Land fails to make an impression it's not gonna be because of X-Men

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The 90’s show is also notable for being the only X-Men cartoon that was allowed to finish without being cancelled prematurely (other attempts being Evolution and Wolverine & The X-Men)

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

If Sand Land fails to make an impression it's not gonna be because of X-Men

Not blaming X-Men if it does fail, but pretty much any talk about it online is being completely drowned out by people talking about X-Men so far.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Isn't Disney+ infamous for being kinda poo poo about anime? Like they barely, if at all, advertise what they have and you have to go looking for it? From just taking a quick look, there isn't even an anime category, here in the UK it looks like it's all just under the Adult Animation category under Star alongside things like The Simpsons and Futurama.

I loaded up Disney+ this morning to watch this week's Bad Batch and I didn't even know that Sandland was on there, only saw it now by scrolling down to the New section and scrolling right a bunch, wasn't even on the first page.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the viz translation is rear end

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
vegerot? djinn boo? what is this crap

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mr E posted:

I dunno about the comics but a lot of people have a ton of nostalgia for the 90s cartoon. If I had D+ I'd probably at least check out '97.

Can confirm. Will be checking it out before I check out sand land.

Webbeh posted:

really good chapter. i love me some dragon ball when it's big punches and big feels.

comes back in May: https://twitter.com/DbsHype/status/1770466402102886910

Hurrah! It was still a nice chapter though. Just relaxed with good character moments.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Veotax posted:

Isn't Disney+ infamous for being kinda poo poo about anime? Like they barely, if at all, advertise what they have and you have to go looking for it? From just taking a quick look, there isn't even an anime category, here in the UK it looks like it's all just under the Adult Animation category under Star alongside things like The Simpsons and Futurama.

I loaded up Disney+ this morning to watch this week's Bad Batch and I didn't even know that Sandland was on there, only saw it now by scrolling down to the New section and scrolling right a bunch, wasn't even on the first page.

Hell, D+ shoves it's anime to hulu in the states.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

vegerot? djinn boo? what is this crap

In both cases they're arguably more accurate translations. (Except Majin to Djinn. Like yeah the joke with Buu is that he's a Ma-Djinn, but Djinn doesn't convey that either, you're just not going to get that pun and the M symbol is a pretty fuckin' prominent part of the whole design.)

In the case of Buu, it's because the joke is literally Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo and "Boo" is how it's written there. Same way that Viz uses Dabra instead if Dabura because the joke here is Abra Kadabra.

Buu looks cooler but like, the joke is that they're all named after magic words, if there's a 'correct' translation Boo is probably closer than Buu.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 20, 2024

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
buh

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Majin Bruh, is that anything

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’ve always preferred Boo to Buu and Freeza to Frieza.

Fuckin Funimation

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Ah, what a great chapter.

Love how everyone was rightfully horrified that Goku forgot who Pan was lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nanigans posted:

Fuckin Funimation

lol

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

This is art.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
his name is freezer

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

People are actually excited for that xmen show? I thought the animation style looked horrible.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Mr.Acula posted:

People are actually excited for that xmen show? I thought the animation style looked horrible.

its lore accurate to the 90's animation

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

i think a lot of people don't even know Sandland exists

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mr.Acula posted:

I thought that one clip that's circulating right now where it's Cyclops fighting some dudes and he's sliding around using his optic blasts is pretty sick.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

GateOfD posted:

i think a lot of people don't even know Sandland exists

i do

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

his name is freezer

:haibrow:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I was too busy watching this show called Dragon Ball Z to watch X-Men. Maybe some of you have heard of it?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://youtu.be/wI3NvIE9zMs?si=dQuRcpnUkzHyPdzq

This AMV rocks, the entire thing is new instead of using animation from the show while still directly referencing so much.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

When Toriyama died I realised I'd never read the Manga, so I'm doing that now. The Viz translation does seem like rear end, but my brain is doing a pretty robust job of fixing names and terms for me as I go.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

his name is freezer

it's Furiiza actually

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The very very beginning of the Viz translation (like before Raditz meets Goku) is bizarrely bad, I remember feeling like I was tripping when reading it for the first time. It evens out soon though, it's just a weird opening.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Nanigans posted:

Fuckin Funimation

that doesn't show anything except that goku is an idiot who doesn't know how to spell things

so, 100% correct

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
That little wave from Piccolo though

Shot right through my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Kurui Reiten posted:

that doesn't show anything except that goku is an idiot who doesn't know how to spell things

so, 100% correct

Nah, clearly Jaco drew that

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Mar 21, 2024