Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Now there's a movie I haven't thought about since I saw it in theaters!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Can't believe it's been 10 years since that movie I totally forgot existed

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I only remember American Hustle because I was constantly checking thrift stores for American Movie before caving and buying it online and without fail they'd have multiple copies of American Hustle and American Gangster.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I finally tossed the stupid box that the Indiana Jones UHDs came in. It’s a flimsy piece of poo poo and it was taking up too much space in my media tower.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Speaking of poorly done 4Ks, what’s the best version currently of A Clockwork Orange? Last I checked there were some versions that had real bad audio problems?

Really? The WB copy looked good and sounded fine to me. All of the Kubrick releases have been so pristine that I'm going to probably buy Eyes Wide Shut in hopes that we eventually end up with a Barry Lyndon 4k.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Really sucks how the Aliens 4K upscale is so lovely.

Thank God Ridley Scott didn’t gently caress up the Alien upscale, though. The visuals and audio transfers were flawless when I watched it recently.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hey I'm planning to move in thr next couple months and I'm curious what yall use for storing your collections for moving. Any particular boxes you prefer?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Fully down for this.

EDIT: I just saw the Extended Version part. :getin:

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

MacheteZombie posted:

Hey I'm planning to move in thr next couple months and I'm curious what yall use for storing your collections for moving. Any particular boxes you prefer?

bottom heavy boxes and I do two safety strips of tape across the bottom so its fully secured together because they do get heavy when stacked up in a box. standard moving/amazon boxes though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I put layers of tissue paper between things I was worried might get scratched. Otherwise the boxes from Home Depot or similar hold up pretty well. Just make sure to tape the bottoms in both directions.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MacheteZombie posted:

UHaul boxes will run ya I think $30 for 25 boxes. Plus you can return what you don't use for a refund.

They're great for movies but they suck for moving records, though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

record moving is a whole other problem, but last time i did that was double bagged paper bags from safeway and I could fit 20 or so records.

I bought a whole bundle from safeway to do that. so i had recycling bags for awhile at least when I was done moving.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hard pass. gently caress David O Russell and gently caress the people that willingly work with that abuser.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Are those Cameron's confirmed to be upscales? I don't know what's dumber, scrubbing and smoothing all detail out of a brand new 4K scan, or upscaling an old as hell scan to 4K and smoothing that dogshit out.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Origami Dali posted:

Are those Cameron's confirmed to be upscales? I don't know what's dumber, scrubbing and smoothing all detail out of a brand new 4K scan, or upscaling an old as hell scan to 4K and smoothing that dogshit out.

no one from the studio that worked on them has confirmed this. This is all just off of people ripping the discs and looking at the data comparatively to other discs of a similar technical value.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I got my copy of Dragons Forever I ordered from that sale. I was not expecting it to be so drat deluxe. I know 88 films does the whole treatment but I assumed it was going to just be the standard edition for 13 bucks. I got a poster some postcards a book and the really nice hard slip cover with it. Insane value for that price.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

yeah that Dragons Forever set is ridiculously nice. I paid full retail for it, but even then it felt well worth the money.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've just been very very happy with everything I've bought from 88 Films so far. I picked up the In The Line of Duty set this week and it's of similar quality. Definitely plan to continue buying their stuff, especially if they're going to give us a sale once in a while.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve been picking up Eureka and 88 stuff for years and it’s rare for either to disappoint me. It’s so weird seeing both finally getting decent US distribution after all this time.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been picking up Eureka and 88 stuff for years and it’s rare for either to disappoint me. It’s so weird seeing both finally getting decent US distribution after all this time.

Anyone who’s putting out good Hong Kong action movies is good with me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1770097768226336819

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kinda ugly, but I’m glad I waited on that White Worm Blu-ray for so long. Definitely picking that steelbook up.

The Gate I found a bit dull? I remember liking the sequel a little more but still not loving it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've started stopping by Walmart once a week and I'm seeing a pretty steady stream of these steelbooks being stocked. This past Saturday they had some of the Vestron Video ones that I'd never seen before.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m definitely down for Lair of the White Worm. Not thrilled about going to Walmart for it though.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/KLStudioClassic/status/1770119346087399641?s=20

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

I've started stopping by Walmart once a week and I'm seeing a pretty steady stream of these steelbooks being stocked. This past Saturday they had some of the Vestron Video ones that I'd never seen before.

Never thought, in 2024, that I’d be saying Walmart is be your best option to walk into to find steel books and less mainstream movie releases but I guess that’s what happens when every other retailer decides to base their business around selling lovely warranty services for crap electronics

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Never thought, in 2024, that I’d be saying Walmart is be your best option to walk into to find steel books and less mainstream movie releases but I guess that’s what happens when every other retailer decides to base their business around selling lovely warranty services for crap electronics

Still remains to be seen whether this is a long-term thing for Walmart or something they end up souring on in a few months.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Stoked for Lair of the White Worm!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

For now I am appreciative that I can walk in and, should I choose, buy the Cowboy Bebop complete series Blu-Ray set for about $30.

On the subject of cool physical media finds, I picked up the Criterion DVD of This Is Spinal Tap at a record shop yesterday so when they get the rights back and drop the 4K you know who to thank.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Nice. Been working on getting all the Ferrara discs that are out there and Bad Lieutenant is probably my favorite of all his films after King of New York. King of New York has a stellar release from Arrow BTW.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/UltraHDBluray/status/1770204921561809006?s=20
I know the french don't include english subs, but hopefully there's a 2.0 mix in there for us normies without a 21.1 surround sound setup and rumble seats in the home.

https://x.com/ultrahdbluray/status/1770218940486082704?s=46

dorium fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 20, 2024

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

All these James Cameron films coming to UHD, but in the shittest version possible feels like such a monkey’s paw situation.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
I'm watching the Aliens 4k disc now. The complete lack of grain makes this look... Odd, I guess. I also had to double check to make sure I didn't somehow turn on motion smoothing with how it looks when the camera is moving.

That said, this is still a big improvement over the DVD, which is the only way I've ever watched this before. I'm not regretting this purchase. I just wish it looked a little better.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

Feel the same way about the 'Aliens' release. It's better than what I had and looks nice but it should be so much better.

Fired up 'Alien' again right after and the comparison just isn't fair, god drat that's a good UHD release.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

ultraviolence123 posted:

Nice. Been working on getting all the Ferrara discs that are out there and Bad Lieutenant is probably my favorite of all his films after King of New York. King of New York has a stellar release from Arrow BTW.

I always recommend checking out his Miami Vice episodes as well! The Home Invaders from season 1 is great. King of New York is too cool.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

edogawa rando posted:

All these James Cameron films coming to UHD, but in the shittest version possible feels like such a monkey’s paw situation.

There's no better way to describe it. I have multiple posts in this thread opining for HD releases of True Lies and The Abyss! I'll probably rent them on iTunes but seriously disappointing considering I would have Day 1'd them if they didn't stink.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Incredibly obscure movies get wonderful looking releases and some of the biggest movies that everyone wants get transfers so poo poo it feels like you’re being trolled. That’s the world we live in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel like most of us were at least emotionally prepared for this one though. It's not like everyone was hyped up to the max as the release date approached and all the sudden we get slapped in the face with the news that the transfers are bad. This was at least a somewhat expected outcome due to what we know about Cameron's personality and how the Terminator 2 UHD looked.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Casimir Radon posted:

Incredibly obscure movies get wonderful looking releases and some of the biggest movies that everyone wants get transfers so poo poo it feels like you’re being trolled. That’s the world we live in.

I kinda get this, though. If a label is releasing something obscure to a presumably limited demographic of buyers, they probably a) really give a poo poo about the movie to even go through the trouble of releasing it and b) know that the release will have to be perfect to please the diehards they’ll be relying on to buy it.

A giant movie like Aliens is going to be bought by far more people with way less discerning eyes than the average poster in this thread, plus the director overseeing the release is infamous for dabbling in new tech whenever given the chance.

There were also existing warning signs given the treatment the T2 4K got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Yeah, James Cameron is a known idiot with a melted brain when it comes to this stuff. The only way we’re getting a decent 4K release is if he isn’t allowed to be involved