Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

zoux posted:

Yeah the Ur myth is Gilgamesh.
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

zoux posted:

I guess it doesn't really matter because I'm the only one who sees it...wait that means it extremely matters...but I loving hate this trend of replacing good cover art with movie posters.

the worst. that one was part of a fine set too.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kinda hard to claim a "universal" story structure that Little Red Riding Hood doesn't fit into.

I mean, sure, but Campbell never claimed every story fit that mold, only that the structure recurred often in human history and that basically every culture would find that structure suitable and satisfying for a story. That's the sense in which it's 'universal,' not 'every story ever told is this story.'

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Yeah, the idea is that the common appeal of the structure can be turned into Hollywood mega-millions and it's not entirely wrong (see Dan Harmon's story circle)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

fez_machine posted:

Yeah, the idea is that the common appeal of the structure can be turned into Hollywood mega-millions and it's not entirely wrong (see Dan Harmon's story circle)

Yeah, Campbell more managed to find *a* repeatable story structure rather than *the* universal story structure. But he sure plays fast and loose with a lot of stuff in the process.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I grew up with these Dune covers and they're still my favorites:

The modern paperbacks are fine, I guess, but kind of boring (though better than the movie tie-in ones).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

zoux posted:

Yeah the Ur myth is Gilgamesh.

Inanna says "bite me".

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AARD VARKMAN posted:

It's long and incomplete but I really enjoyed The Spiral Wars by Joel Shepherd, 8 books in.
Don't follow his xTwitter, I lost all interest in reading anything he writes. Not a nazi, just a mushbrained Modi and Musk apologist.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Two of Sword: Volume Three by KJ Parker - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5K2CK2/

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Lord Hydronium posted:

The modern paperbacks are fine, I guess, but kind of boring (though better than the movie tie-in ones).

I keep seeing the bottom three books as the Vince McMahon meme

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Is anyone reading Jumpnauts by Hao Jingfang? The description looked interesting!

quote:

In a future where the world is roughly divided into two factions, the Pacific League of Nations and the Atlantic Division of Nations, tensions are high as each side waits for the other to make a move. But neither side is prepared for a powerful third party that has apparently been an influential presence on Earth for thousands of years—and just might be making a reappearance very soon.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Lord Hydronium posted:

Same. My dad owns these and I read them all when I was 15. They will always be THE Dune covers for me

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m gonna make a run of Dune covers where the worm just gets longer each time

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m gonna make a run of Dune covers where the worm just gets longer each time

this is also the plot of god emperor of dune

edit: also part of the plot for the last half of children of dune

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

RoboCicero posted:

Is anyone reading Jumpnauts by Hao Jingfang? The description looked interesting!

I am. It's ok, not great. Prose is workmanlike, characters are kind of one-dimensional. Ted Liu's footnotes on Chinese culture and literature are some of the most interesting bits. Sometimes it feels a little but like the action bits written by somebody who grew up on Saturday morning cartoons and they've only got that shallow well to draw on.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The first time I read Dune it was a copy out of my high school library that had the original cover art:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

PriorMarcus posted:

What's a good guide for someone wanting to get into Wild Cards?

Read everything with Croyd in it, especially the Zelazny, and just kinda let everything else go.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Remulak posted:

Don't follow his xTwitter, I lost all interest in reading anything he writes. Not a nazi, just a mushbrained Modi and Musk apologist.

me too, literally from his poo poo takes on anything musk, AI, futurism, social equity.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Going through my virtual library this has happened to Station Eleven, Lovecraft Country, WoT, Haunting of Hill House, and Horns. I wish I could opt out of this, I loving hate advertising and I'd never buy a physical book that had the NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE cover

Contrariwise I would absolutely buy a copy of Dune that has an AGAIN A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE cover

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Use of Weapons (Culture #3) by Iain M Banks - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015DWLTE/

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs #1) by Richard K Morgan - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBFMZ2/

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ian Bank's The Wasp Factory $2.99
Not genre but supposed to be quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...02-e3acdd381818

dubLEs
Oct 9, 2019

quantumfoam posted:

Glen Cook outside of his Black Company stories really isn't that great or clever, at least for me.
The Garrett PI books were so formulaic with standardized events that I 100% believe they were originally written on-the-job at General Motors by Cook after seeing a few Rex Stout paperbacks in the GM break-room.

Glen Cook's Garrett PI series main difference from Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin stories is the fantasy-NYC setting, Fritz the cook doesn't exist in the Garrett PI books, and finally Garrett straight out has sex with the "damsels" whereas Goodwin in the Nero Wolfe stories merely "went dancing" with them or was antagonizing Wolfe with female eyecandy.

Finished reading another book I'd gotten as part of a ebook bundle awhile ago. Reanimators by Pete Rawlik. Rawlik managed to work in most of Lovecraft's non-Cthulhu/Arkham adjacent stories into Reanimators. The only stories that didn't make the cut were Pickman's Model, a few of Lovecraft's minor "secret grave" stories and He. Understandable about leaving out He. He, uhm, to modern viewers sort comes off as a "young guy making up a spooky story to explain away the cuts/bruises/injuries he got after being picked up by an old rich gentleman last night".

Glen Cook's writing style and prose is much too "urban" for me, at least in The Black Company - I don't think you need to use contemporary language to make the story seem grittier but I am aware that is what he was going for. I've heard that Tower of Fear is worth a read, though.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

dubLEs posted:

I've heard that Tower of Fear is worth a read, though.

I certainly thought so.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

dubLEs posted:

Glen Cook's writing style and prose is much too "urban" for me, at least in The Black Company - I don't think you need to use contemporary language to make the story seem grittier but I am aware that is what he was going for. I've heard that Tower of Fear is worth a read, though.

"urban"

?????????????

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

fez_machine posted:

"urban"

?????????????
Glen cook writing fantasy like this

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

fez_machine posted:

"urban"

?????????????

maybe thatsthejoke but "urban fantasy" seems to commonly mean "set in contemporary times" so I can kind of see the usage if you set aside any other definition of "urban"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Urban fantasy is like VTM or Supernatural

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Oh ok I'll tell my dog to stop barking

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

quantumfoam posted:

Glen Cook outside of his Black Company stories really isn't that great or clever, at least for me.
The Garrett PI books were so formulaic with standardized events that I 100% believe they were originally written on-the-job at General Motors by Cook after seeing a few Rex Stout paperbacks in the GM break-room.

Glen Cook's Garrett PI series main difference from Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin stories is the fantasy-NYC setting, Fritz the cook doesn't exist in the Garrett PI books, and finally Garrett straight out has sex with the "damsels" whereas Goodwin in the Nero Wolfe stories merely "went dancing" with them or was antagonizing Wolfe with female eyecandy.

Let me agree with all of this except the conclusion and say that the first few Garrett PI books are great even if they are clearly following Rex Stout beat for beat.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
it means it has biker werewolves that gently caress in it

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

thotsky posted:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

thotsky posted:

Like digimon

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

thotsky posted:

That's paranormal romance

If they don't gently caress that's urban fantasy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Remulak posted:

Ian Bank's The Wasp Factory $2.99
Not genre but supposed to be quite good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GVG1BW8

I've read that, it's quite good. It's also pretty hosed up. CW, iirc, child with severe gender issues, body horror, insect torture.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rabbit murder too also clock trauma

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Very good book, occasionally wish I never read it

E: One could say it... bugs me

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
RIP to Vernor Vinge, may he be read by generations to come.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

FPyat posted:

RIP to Vernor Vinge, may he be read by generations to come.

Whaaat! That singularly sucks. You sure he's not just in a time bubble?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StumblyWumbly posted:

Very good book, occasionally wish I never read it

E: One could say it... bugs me

booo

but also lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

mllaneza posted:

I've read that, it's quite good. It's also pretty hosed up. CW, iirc, child with severe gender issues, body horror, insect torture.

I have a paperback of this from the early 90s (so about a decade after it came out). As is customary, it has a bunch of quotes from reviewers on the inside of the cover; as is less customary, only about half of them are like "A strong debut novel from a promising young writer" while the other half are all "This is sick filth and what sad times are these when a formerly reputable publishing house puts its name on something like this; the author needs to have his head examined".

And then. There was one. Which went like "This is completely mid and unremarkable and kind of boring". I always WONDERED about that last reviewer.