Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've still only seen the first season of k-on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

i've still only seen the first season of k-on...

ok there's your end of the bargain for me watching MyGO

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kwyndig posted:

I've only seen like two episodes of K-ON, is mob justice going to go after me next? :ohdear:

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

ok there's your end of the bargain for me watching MyGO

yeah it's been on the list forever i've just been busy with other poo poo

the first season is really good but a handful of things frustrated me about it - yui being like a drunken master guitar genius, some of the pacing feel, didn't think the music was great. i know the second season is supposed to be better, just need to commit.

when i catch up on sound euphonium i'll do s2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

What was the culprit?

Kind of a series of successive mental punches starting in late 2022 with Edgerunners, G-Witch and MyGo. Tragedy, trauma and teenage anxiety on repeat for several months of hyper fixation. I was also deep into Cyberpunk 2077 and Andor at the same time and their content probably fed into the angry feedback loop as well. Stories dealing with identity, isolation and uncaring societal systems are like crack for my brain.

Funnily enough I think watching older stuff like Wolf's Rain or Serial Experiments Lain helped push me out of that funk, despite the former being incredibly dour and depressing and the latter being an unsettling head trip. Felt like a reminder that yeah, there's other stuff out there to watch, and though sometimes it might be disappointing, other times it can be incredibly poignant and meaningful.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 21, 2024

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

maybe if we had successfully peer pressured a certain someone into watching bocchi the rock things would be better...

Bocchi and My Go are actually great series to watch together cause they share common threads while being completely different.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Bocchi and My Go are actually great series to watch together cause they share common threads while being completely different.

Can confirm. Funny how they were kind of back to back Animes of the Year.

Also I've never seen K-On!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i appreciate Anon not being this infallible entity who whips an entire band back together and is instead somewhat self-centered and also not a virtuoso while still meaning well

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Arc Hammer posted:

Kind of a series of successive mental punches starting in late 2022 with Edgerunners, G-Witch and MyGo. Tragedy, trauma and teenage anxiety on repeat for several months of hyper fixation. I was also deep into Cyberpunk 2077 and Andor at the same time and their content probably fed into the angry feedback loop as well. Stories dealing with identity, isolation and uncaring societal systems are like crack for my brain.

Funnily enough I think watching older stuff like Wolf's Rain or Serial Experiments Lain helped push me out of that funk, despite the former being incredibly dour and depressing and the latter being an unsettling head trip. Felt like a reminder that yeah, there's other stuff out there to watch, and though sometimes it might be disappointing, other times it can be incredibly poignant and meaningful.

i've done that to myself more than once (in particular, last year, Utena left a mark). i get to too emotionally invested, but in my case anyway it's probably a symptom of personal issues. been a really lovely last few years.

i'll be honest, part of me was relieved that wonder egg priority flubbed the landing.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

genuinely proud of you for this level of self reflection and insight

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

i'll be honest, part of me was relieved that wonder egg priority flubbed the landing.

I'm kinda glad that I didn't watch that one as it was airing. I would have been pissed. There's something to be said for watching a series after its been finished for a while. It can dull the anxiety and anticipation that builds up between episodes when you're waiting every week for the next part. And if a series has a poor ending you're aware of ahead of time you can kinda steel yourself rather than get hung up on it.

It can also help to take breaks from current stuff, too. I know I'm probably gonna chill for the spring season because not a lot of shows are jumping out at me, so I'll use that time to catch up on other stuff like Shogun or the Fallout TV series or a bunch of movies I want to go see. Diversify my media rather than mainlining psychological dramas.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

genuinely proud of you for this level of self reflection and insight

Thanks. I think I'll still be a grump about stuff but I've definitely felt more mellow the last couple of months and certainly not in a "thinking about this is literally eating my life" state of mind.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 21, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've heard about shogun, is it any good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I watched the first episode and it is loving awesome. I decided to wait a few weeks to let my current crop of shows taper off before i dive in headfirst. Definitely recommend.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I've been enjoying it but I'm wondering if I'd ne better off reading it

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm kinda glad that I didn't watch that one as it was airing. I would have been pissed. There's something to be said for watching a series after its been finished for a while. It can dull the anxiety and anticipation that builds up between episodes when you're waiting every week for the next part. And if a series has a poor ending you're aware of ahead of time you can kinda steel yourself rather than get hung up on it.

It can also help to take breaks from current stuff, too. I know I'm probably gonna chill for the spring season because not a lot of shows are jumping out at me, so I'll use that time to catch up on other stuff like Shogun or the Fallout TV series or a bunch of movies I want to go see. Diversify my media rather than mainlining psychological dramas.

Thanks. I think I'll still be a grump about stuff but I've definitely felt more mellow the last couple of months and certainly not in a "thinking about this is literally eating my life" state of mind.

it is very easy to fall into a style of shows thinking it's your fav forever but it can also be a trap. like the best musicians I know don't even listen to their own genre of music. they'll take influences from others to try and make something new in their area. helps prevent from sounding like everyone else in the field

more importantly it's good to just try other things when you feel like you aren't getting what you want out of a genre. plus when you do come back you can just ask for recco's and only watch the good poo poo. then decide if you want more

I know sometimes I can come off harshly but I do want people to be happy

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

K-On's fun (maybe 2/3 through S1) but I gave Hibike Euphonium a look and it really grabbed me... some quality high school band drama there... now have finished both seasons, the follow on movie, and have some various bits to catch before the third season starts up. Similarly recently finally got around to checking out Yuru Camp and it was great and the third season of that is almost here too. Yay.

Planning on giving MyGO a look given some recent chatter around here. Sounds a little more toward the drama than the comedy than Bocchi the Rock, which was a ton of fun.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 21, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi posted:

I've been enjoying it but I'm wondering if I'd ne better off reading it

just play nioh 1, the story is exactly the same

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yea its alright

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

turns out peer pressure owns, actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

symbolic posted:

oh this entire Tomori flashback episode is

gently caress

i feel really empty
that ep's what i mean when i say it really uses the 3d well. you *could* do that in 2d but the 3d makes it a lot easier to get that like sense of space

i also really love how tomori not really making eye contact much is just a consistent thing in how she's animated

and yeah as you mentioned in the season thread tomori feels really intentionally autistic and the lack of any explicit text confirming it feels more like a 'lived experience of autistic japanese teenagers' thing as opposed to a Corporate Safety thing. ofc its probably also the latter but the way the girls in her class talk about her being the 'weird one' and 'different' half-lovingly and half-kinda othering her feels like a pointed statement rather than a handwave.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Mar 21, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also anon is really funny because you can tell she likes and cares about tomori even early on shes just also kind of an rear end in a top hat, and those things arent really presented as in conflict

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

maybe if we had successfully peer pressured a certain someone into watching bocchi the rock things would be better...

lol again. And let’s not forget the gaslighting about doing it as well.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm sad of missing out on EoE on the big screen. Only one theater in my area and only two showings, period, in a room that seats about 60ish people so of course it all sold out well in advance.

Pretty odd too since most anime in my area get screened in 4 different theaters around here. That's what's happening to the Rascal double feature this weekend and I'm glad it'll be readily available, but at the same time looking at the available seats, well, it sure isn't doing EoE numbers over in my neck of the woods that's for sure.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
wonder if its a price thing, i could see eva asking for big numbers. as a similar example the nearest showing by here was 2 hours away cuz our podunk rural theaters (even the fancy artsy one) probably dont pull enough traffic to justify eva, if price is a concern

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It also appears US only which sucks as I would extremely go out of my way to see EoE on the big screen

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wonder if its a price thing, i could see eva asking for big numbers. as a similar example the nearest showing by here was 2 hours away cuz our podunk rural theaters (even the fancy artsy one) probably dont pull enough traffic to justify eva, if price is a concern

Yea, could be. Would make sense because around here only the AMC got it and the regional chains didn't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat apparently it got shown here in a few places in 2021 and I never noticed but also gently caress going to the cinema then lol

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

The Sand Land anime premiered on Hulu and Disney Plus today (though it doesn't seem to be up on the latter yet). Apparently it's a re-cut version of the movie, with an additional arc afterwards.

I’m liking it so far.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Speaking of Anon - Lies of Anon - Lies of P mod - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No8_2zFFVDo

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Kwyndig posted:

I've only seen like two episodes of K-ON, is mob justice going to go after me next? :ohdear:

Fix this oversight

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~
please watch K-ON!

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I love K-on!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

One of the trailers for the Sand Land game randomly drops a seemingly major spoiler for the story. Wish I'd waited till I finished the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Does the Sandland show have a dub?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yes.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

not on hulu

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, the dub is for the game, I think.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

symbolic posted:

reminded that Furnaceface still has never seen K-On!. let's get him, everyone

Hey. I got like 4 episodes in, just wasnt for me. :(

I did watch Bocchi after it aired, and it was a great binge watch. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
looking up my go and being very annoyed that Google really really insists that I meant myGov