Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Sander
Sep 10, 2022

Bad Seafood posted:

Izutsumi is the most actually cat-like catgirl I've ever encountered in anime or manga.

Most catgirls are just random anime girls with cat ears and some exaggerated pseudo-catlike mannerisms meant to be “moe”, like saying “nyan” a lot.

Izutsumi is straight up like a humanoid cat with human intelligence.

Sander fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011

Chicken Thumbs posted:

The reveal that Izutsumi is less of a catgirl and more of a girlcat, which considering that she was transformed at 6 makes her backstory even more hosed up. Someone literally ripped the soul out of a kid and shoved it into a cat.

Here you go.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wanna read the short series where Izutsumi sails across the sea in a rowboat, finds the dark mage that did that to her, and beats him up finally. Follow your dreams, Izutsumi!!

Sander
Sep 10, 2022
Prediction for the next ep:

It will mostly adapt chapters 27 (Necromarcille) and 28 (Falin downtime), but instead of ending on the cliffhanger of Thistle showing up, they will include about four pages of the next chapter, wherein Falin gets compelled to walk over to Thistle as the latter implies very strongly that she’s Red Dragon, who was under his command.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Maybe I'm forgetting something, but who's the walking person in blue in the OP wearing a vest and carrying a stick whose face we can't see? I was thinking it had to be Thistle, but the vest doesn't seem to quite match his usual design (although I guess he's allowed to change close) and they seem to be carrying a walking stick rather than his usual wand. He also isn't usually part of a group unless we're seeing him with the Golden Kingdom dudes in happier days.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Its Thistle with a lute running up to Derghal and company, pre-dungeon.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rand Brittain posted:

Maybe I'm forgetting something, but who's the walking person in blue in the OP wearing a vest and carrying a stick whose face we can't see? I was thinking it had to be Thistle, but the vest doesn't seem to quite match his usual design (although I guess he's allowed to change close) and they seem to be carrying a walking stick rather than his usual wand. He also isn't usually part of a group unless we're seeing him with the Golden Kingdom dudes in happier days.

That was Thistle in his outfit during the painting flashback.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is he Thistle or Sissel? My version of the manga has been using the latter.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

YggiDee posted:

Is he Thistle or Sissel? My version of the manga has been using the latter.

Thistle is definitely the correct one; the adventurer's bible comments that he's named after the thistle plant. The manga translation gets this wrong, along with assuming that he's female because the original used ambiguous pronouns.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
interesting! a little annoying but, like, way better than when the Fullmetal Alchemist manga translation mangled "Xerxes" into "Cselkcess"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

once an official manga translation is set the first time, they have to double down forever. we call this the zolo clause.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
They fixed the Xerxes thing though

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Could also be the Alita clause.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Alita was a full-on intentional renaming rather than a mistranslation. It's really more of a Bulma Clause.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Vonnie posted:

Here you go.
that one is missing the last line of panels, where izutsumi tanks the existential damage

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Elfface posted:

Alita was a full-on intentional renaming rather than a mistranslation. It's really more of a Bulma Clause.

This is discussed further in various Bulma Briefs

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Vonnie posted:

Here you go.

Where is this from? I've looked through all the end of volume extras and it's bothering me that I can't find it!!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
It's either from Daydream Hour or the Guidebook

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

it's from the second edition of the Adventurer's Bible

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Rand Brittain posted:

Thistle is definitely the correct one; the adventurer's bible comments that he's named after the thistle plant. The manga translation gets this wrong, along with assuming that he's female because the original used ambiguous pronouns.

To be honest, I thought both Thistle and Mithrun were female at first. :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

To be honest, I thought both Thistle and Mithrun were female at first. :v:

Kui's hyper androgenous elves own

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I thought all elves were female :v

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Synthbuttrange posted:

I thought all elves were female :v

I was re-reading Dungeon Meshi the other day, as one does, and it came to mind that all of Kui's character work on the bonus materials owns so loving hard. Obviously the "character as each race" series is great, but she also did the "super lofi character designs emphasizing what makes each character pop" stuff which was great as well. Figuring out which elves were dudes through that work was fun.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Jerkface posted:

Kui's hyper androgenous elves own

I thought I had it figured it out but then she has the one elf who gets mistaken for male but is a woman (and a dirtbag lesbian only dates short-lived women and breaks up with them before they hit thirty)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
otta is the worst and i love her

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fleki and lycion did nothing wrong. otta and cithis did a lot wrong.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
IIRC one of the main reasons Otta is in Canaries is human trafficking, she is just impressively horrible.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Lt. Lizard posted:

IIRC one of the main reasons Otta is in Canaries is human trafficking, she is just impressively horrible.

Probably not even the main reason, she also dealt in Ancient Magic artifacts, if I recall.

She is the Elven Pyramid of Crime.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

otta is the worst and i love her

absolutely

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Aoi posted:

Probably not even the main reason, she also dealt in Ancient Magic artifacts, if I recall.

She is the Elven Pyramid of Crime.

that's why she is in the canaries. her regular crimes would have resulted in regular prison, otherwise. or maybe she'd have gotten a slap on the wrist because the judge considered short-lived races akin to pets. elves are hosed up!

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Metis of the Chat Thread posted:

I thought I had it figured it out but then she has the one elf who gets mistaken for male but is a woman (and a dirtbag lesbian only dates short-lived women and breaks up with them before they hit thirty)
to be slightly fair to Otta I think the implication/subtext is that she's the one getting dumped when the halfling women get too emotionally mature for her bullshit.

e; Also on reflection I don't think it was ever explicitly outlined what kind of "human trafficking" she engaged in -- that term can range to include everything between trading in slaves to sneaking (non-elven, esp. f. half-foot) people through (elven) borders. (but of course I could just be failing to remember.) Knowing the elves of this setting and the apparent casualness of demi-human slavery, it feels like border violations would be the much likelier thing to qualify as a criminal offense in elven law.

Hiveminded fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 21, 2024

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bad Seafood posted:

Izutsumi is the most actually cat-like catgirl I've ever encountered in anime or manga.

I'd still hand that crown to Serval Kemonofriends, but it's a close race (and hard to call, as Izutsumi is particularly a badly socialized cat that doesn't like you)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Apart from the bonus material at the end of each volume, what other extraneous or supplementary Dungeon Meshi material should I check out?

E: I love how Kui seems to genuinely enjoy drawing her characters in different clothing and situation you wouldn't normally get in the canon material, like modern street clothes.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

Hiveminded posted:

to be slightly fair to Otta I think the implication/subtext is that she's the one getting dumped when the halfling women get too emotionally mature for her bullshit.

e; Also on reflection I don't think it was ever explicitly outlined what kind of "human trafficking" she engaged in -- that term can range to include everything between trading in slaves to sneaking (non-elven, esp. f. half-foot) people through (elven) borders. (but of course I could just be failing to remember.) Knowing the elves of this setting and the apparent casualness of demi-human slavery, it feels like border violations would be the much likelier thing to qualify as a criminal offense in elven law.

yeah if you take otta at her word then she was entirely innocent of the most obvious implications we would draw from 'human trafficking'

shes definitely a dirtbag who dumps her (exclusively half-foot) girlfriends before they turn 30, though. For that part she was less 'elven society is super lovely to short lived races, actually' and more 'OKAY HEAR ME OUT'

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hiveminded posted:

Other Canaries explicitly mention that she is the one who dumps them.

Also excerpt from The Adventurer's Bible regarding Otta: "She was a merchant before joining the Canaries, and she sold a great variety of things, ranging from ancient magical artifacts to monsters and people."

There is absolutely no need to be even slightly fair to Otta. :v:

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

Other Canaries explicitly mention that she is the one who dumps them.

Also excerpt from The Adventurer's Bible regarding Otta: "She was a merchant before joining the Canaries, and she sold a great variety of things, ranging from ancient magical artifacts to monsters and people."

There is absolutely no need to be even slightly fair to Otta. :v:

Her canary coworkers (Fleki and Lycion especially, bless them both) aren't a reliable end-point for how things actually went down in her personal history lol. The way she gets super flustered/embarrassed and says "it ends up that way due to extreme circumstances!" on her first dedicated page suggests she's the one getting ditched instead of the other way around. Her pulling a DiCaprio doesn't make sense with half-foots in particular, either, because they largely retain their appearance up until old age. 30 is still well into middle-aged for a half-foot developmentally and psychologically, though (and we see it demonstrated again and again how Chilchuck is overall the most responsible and emotionally mature in the party despite being younger than Marcille and Senshi); keeping up a relationship for years and years with a "roguish" elf you connected with as a teen or young adult, who hasn't settled down or emotionally matured hardly at all in the decade+ you've been with her, would be frustrating and stupid for someone who's reached that stage in their life. And now imagine as an elf, for Otta's part, how demeaning it would be to openly admit to other elves that your partners from a short-lived race (which most other elves barely recognise as full-fledged people, much less equals) keep dumping you.

Kui is meticulous and subtle enough with her character work that I think it's fruitful to opt for reading between the lines even for a minor character like Otta. I could be wrong about all of it ofc and she could be a full-blown Leo; and on the other part of it, I'm not going to say Otta didn't or *wouldn't* sell people -- just that we don't know her history well, and that her only actions which the elves would recognise as Crimes would probably be the ancient artifacts smuggling and border violations into Elf America.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i really enjoy we can have this discussion about a character and her personality and history that never actually comes up in the comic itself and just in the supplemental materials. top tier world building imo

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

i think otta did some earthbending poo poo like once and otherwise was just Around, and she's still fun to talk about! that's good stuff

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

god I'd forgotten about Marcille literally pulling the "AND THERE WAS ONLY ONE FOUR BEDS" trick, some top-tier roommate behavior

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

DrSunshine posted:

I'm looking forward to Marcille's "Dark Magic Witch" scene. :unsmigghh:
]

gently caress yeah

😔This coulda had a little more. I wanted a luxurious shot of her letting her hair down...

Also the hug could have used a beat to emphasize? I felt the same about the shot of the frog costumes earlier. Just a couple seconds hold woulda made them better imo.

Minor stuff! Still elated! But, just saying.

E: spoilered because I watched right when it went up.