Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Even if drum sand is unrealistic, it's just neat. It adds some danger to the desert environment that gets mostly covered by just having a stillsuit on, makes things more varied. It's like the risk of breaking branches and crashing through the brush in a forest and risking alerting something hunting you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tree Bucket posted:

Explain your oof!

dune isn't any more accurate in its "anthropology" than its physics and if you're reading it as some kind of "hard social sci-fi" you're being taken for a ride

PeterWeller posted:

Arrakis has patches of "drum sand". There is an entire scene about it in the first film. You see Paul reposition his thumper and test the sand for its "thumpiness" in the worm riding scene.

It both amuses and disheartens me that this clearly educated and intelligent dude pays about as much attention as the Cinema Sins losers.

tyson hasn't shown any signs of being an intelligent dude in about a decade. this isn't even close to the first time he's said something completely dumb about a movie trying to be smartest guy in the room

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

DeimosRising posted:

dune isn't any more accurate in its "anthropology" than its physics and if you're reading it as some kind of "hard social sci-fi" you're being taken for a ride

You are arguing with imaginary people in your head

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

single-mode fiber posted:

One thing which I don't think anyone has said in the thread yet on the topic of in-universe pacing. People have said how everything needs to take place in less than 9 months since Jessica is pregnant in Dune 1 and also the whole time in Dune 2. But, the Bene Gesserit are said to have this incredible level of biological body control, to the point that they can just mentally decide whether they're going to have a boy or girl, apparently right at the moment of conception. So, to me, it's not an enormous stretch to imagine that it's actually more than 9 months, and Jessica's purposefully making her pregnancy take longer, due to Reasons. Maybe it's part of some Fremen superstition she's exploiting, maybe it's easier to keep a baby safe inside of her than externally in the harsh Arrakis environment, etc. Maybe she's not even doing it on purpose, maybe it's another effect of the Water of Life, obviously it already did a lot of crazy things, enough that the previous reverend mother was like "oh poo poo whoops."

After 25 years of gestation, she gives birth to a fully grown woman.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

DeimosRising posted:

Well, yes, Dune is sixty years old. I guess the more interesting question is, would the social science of Dune have been acceptable when it was written? Its conservation ecology is pretty solid, even if the worm food chain is just magic.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Buttchocks posted:

And if you reelect Crooked Paul Muad'Dib and Woke House Atreides they're going to allow abortions up to 1,300 weeks! smdh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Where does “black sun” as a description of Giedi Prime’s star come from anyways? I can’t seem to find it in the first book

It's a movie invention coming from the belief that showing an arena with sand would confuse the audience which led to the cinematographer suggesting they shoot in IR and from there they did it because Denis loves shooting in IR.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Buttchocks posted:

I hope it's cool to post spoilers here but there's actually a deleted scene detailing Alia's birth

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

single-mode fiber posted:

But, the Bene Gesserit are said to have this incredible level of biological body control, to the point that they can just mentally decide whether they're going to have a boy or girl, apparently right at the moment of conception.

I think DV sorta throws that by the wayside when he has Jessica unable to control her vomit from her pregnancy. (Another poster mentioned this upthread I and I agree with them, it was oddly out of place for folks who otherwise have superhero levels of body control.)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Saw it yesterday and really liked it. Chalamet was very good and so was Bardem. Harkonnen planet was brutal...

It was too long for me, though. I enjoyed for the first two hours, then got a little restless. And it could've been even longer, the director had stuff to cut. Why not go for two movies then, a total of four? Do the reverse of The Hobbit.

I also have some petty grievances. :colbert: Spoilers incoming!

Paul vs Feyd. Paul was trained by the best trainers, and by Bene Geserit too and in his very first fight he outclassed an experienced warrior. After that he had countless other kills, plus drinking the magic juice could've only made him stronger, at least mentally. Feyd on the contrary slaughters drugged up slaves. He had his hands full with the poor Dr Yueh, for crying out loud. It's like Usyk vs some drug baron's arrogant son -- Paul should've killed him in seconds.

The heat of Arrakis is such that an advanced, space-faring civilization has to sound alarms and close concrete doors when the sun is coming up. This was poorly reflected in the film. Nobody is ever suffering from heat, burned, exhausted, or even sweating. They walk around during the day routinely without headgear or eye protection. Even in the infamous South.

In the first part, relatively little time passes between Atreides taking over Arrakis and Paul joining them. And they had all sorts of problems, from spice production to urban warfare (that fat dude says that they control almost all of the city, so pockets of either Harkonnen or Fremen are fighting). And yet, Leto in this period brings all the Atreides' nukes and secretly buries them in a cave?!

I wish the Great Houses were given more than a passing treatment. The ending felt very rushed. Paul got his revenge against the Harkonnen and against the Emperor. He controls the planet. He controls the spice. So what about some diplomacy? Assuring the Great Houses that spice will flow? Calming down a little, starting to work for the benefit of the Fremen? No, it's AAARRRG I'M RABBAN NOW, WAAAAAR. Either he's completely lost it, or the Houses are much less powerful than we thought. Or they are impossible to negotiate with? Either way, it didn't seem a plausible course of action.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Mar 20, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That was not Yueh. Yueh got his head cut off in the first movie.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He just got his throat cut I think

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Nah, head chop, juuuust off-screen and some foley thuds.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Doctor Malaver posted:

I wish the Great Houses were given more than a passing treatment. The ending felt very rushed. Paul got his revenge against the Harkonnen and against the Emperor. He controls the planet. He controls the spice. So what about some diplomacy? Assuring the Great Houses that spice will flow? Calming down a little, starting to work for the benefit of the Fremen? No, it's AAARRRG I'M RABBAN NOW, WAAAAAR. Either he's completely lost it, or the Houses are much less powerful than we thought. Or they are impossible to negotiate with? Either way, it didn't seem a plausible course of action.

In the book this is much clearer, Paul now fully inhabits the role of the Messiah to the Fremen now, even were he not to personally direct it the Fremen would launch the Jihad against the Great Houses for the mere insult of denying his ascendancy. The point is even made in the book that Feyd killing him in the duel would not be enough to stop it now since the Fremen would simply say he ascended to be an immortal spirit that fights by their side for the rest of time.

edit: much of the tension in the last portion of the book is not Paul's duel or the political maneuvering but Paul using his future sight to try and guide everything to the softest landing he can possibly manage, and the softest he can manage is a slightly less bloody galactic genocide

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 21, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the difference in sound between a head hitting the floor and a body hitting the floor

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's way out of focus but you can see the Baron throwing his head on the floor.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Steve Yun posted:

What’s the difference in sound between a head hitting the floor and a body hitting the floor

Timing and the weight of the thud. The Baron chops Yueh's head off - just offscreen - while holding him by the hair. So, big thud, followed by small rolly thud a moment later.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

I think DV sorta throws that by the wayside when he has Jessica unable to control her vomit from her pregnancy. (Another poster mentioned this upthread I and I agree with them, it was oddly out of place for folks who otherwise have superhero levels of body control.)

Yeah the first BG of all time (the OG, the OBG) was poisoned and just noped it. They can even house and push a catalog of viruses on people. But also I'm talking about prequels and I'm eventually going to get a blanket party if I keep doing this.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Nah I'm pretty sure everyone that knows about the prequels agrees there's no greater punishment than letting you sit there and think about the prequels some more.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's just the law that a woman has to pass out or/and vomit if she's pregnant in a movie otherwise audiences won't be aware that she's pregnant.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
See also being mopey on a boat and staring at the water.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
From the nosebleed=psychic school of cinematography

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Arrakis has patches of "drum sand". There is an entire scene about it in the first film. You see Paul reposition his thumper and test the sand for its "thumpiness" in the worm riding scene.

It both amuses and disheartens me that this clearly educated and intelligent dude pays about as much attention as the Cinema Sins losers.

he has the exact same shtick as the cinemasins losers

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I wish we got more shots of giedi prime

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

ex post facho posted:

I wish we got more shots of giedi prime
I'm keeping my fingers crossed we get a jihad montage in DUN3, including fremen dumpstering the monochrome Gieger planet.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

something I noticed on the third viewing which may not have been obvious: when paul addresses the war council, he pulls out his father's ring and says "this is my family's ducal signet." but it kinda sounds like he's saying "dookie poo poo." this is a symbolic reflection of his descent into being a stinky rear end in a top hat

kalel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 21, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Tree Bucket posted:

Explain your oof!

Those aren't mongrel sciences, but noble arts!

Gaius Marius posted:

He just got his throat cut I think

YA rated decapitation

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
thought this was a cool observation also

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

AnEdgelord posted:

Also don't several real world animals do the exact thing he's claiming is impossible? I distinctly remember a snake that buries itself in the sand to sense vibrations

Woodcocks literally walk with rhythm to attract worms.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Neo Rasa posted:

It's just the law that a woman has to pass out or/and vomit if she's pregnant in a movie otherwise audiences won't be aware that she's pregnant.

Exactly what I thought watching it, which is funny since part1 has multiple discussions about her pregnancy, and part2 ALSO does the "holding my abdomen meaningfully" visual cue and talks about the baby being OK like 30 seconds before the vomiting AND has an early in utero Alia scene via Paul-o-vision.

But then again, audiences are stupid, it is known.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Exactly what I thought watching it, which is funny since part1 has multiple discussions about her pregnancy, and part2 ALSO does the "holding my abdomen meaningfully" visual cue and talks about the baby being OK like 30 seconds before the vomiting AND has an early in utero Alia scene via Paul-o-vision.

But then again, audiences are stupid, it is known.

We hear Alia use the voice on Jessica, "You. Crave. Pickles."

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

ex post facho posted:

thought this was a cool observation also

In that universe I'd kinda like to see how much of the populace tries to escape that place like it's North Korea. "Hey we're going to the stadium today to watch one of our leaders slice up a few innocent, drugged slaves like pigs". Yeah I'd be Captain Stowaway first chance I had like Gurney.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Scags McDouglas posted:

In that universe I'd kinda like to see how much of the populace tries to escape that place like it's North Korea. "Hey we're going to the stadium today to watch one of our leaders slice up a few innocent, drugged slaves like pigs". Yeah I'd be Captain Stowaway first chance I had like Gurney.

The average citizen of the Roman Empire wasn't trying to flee to trans-Alpine Gaul because they were horrified by gladiatorial games or anything. People are products of their culture, probably safe to say that if you'd been raised as a bald cannibal Nazi Giger-freak you might be more into that whole scene

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just realised that Giedi Prime reminds me a lot of Commoragh.

Also, honestly, Jessica still having morning sickness despite everything felt like a pretty fitting humanising moment for her. Kinda the point is that the Bene Gesserit very much have limits, and everyone involved are still humans, with flaws, quirks, and silliness. Things like Paul mansplaining, Gurney musically bitching about his life, Feyd returning a taunt with smugness and genuine enthusiasm, Stilgar accidentally quoting Monty Python- these show that they are people, who are making it up as they go along. Which has always been a big theme of Dune.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apologies if this has been posted, but regarding the aesthetics of Giedi Prime:

Villeneuve in Vanity Fair posted:

I loved the idea that Harkonnens are a society that doesn't like hair. [...] They remove everything. They want to be as far away from any part of their past as possible, where they are coming from. There's a will of purity.

Villeneuve in Inverse posted:

"One of the things in Dune I love is the way Frank Herbert described and explored the impact on the environment, on the different tribes and different cultures, and how humans are always in a relationship or reaction toward the environment,” Villeneuve says. “I wanted to see where the Harkonnens were coming from, where the psyche was coming from.”

“The idea that the sunlight, instead of revealing colors, will kill colors; that their own world will be seen in a daylight as a bleak black-and-white world, will tell us a lot about their psychology,” Villeneuve says. “And Greig Fraser had the brilliant idea to bring the black and white to infrared, which is a black-and-white that is more eerie and unique, and it gives almost like an old footage from World War II feeling.”
So the Harkonnen aesthetic is about conveying a society that's rigidly authoritarian, conformist, puritanical, fascist, with no guiding ethos beyond pure power and decadent wealth at the very top. On Giedi Prime we need infrared power.

The trend of depicting the Harkonnens as fascist is kinda odd, there's really nothing fascist about them at all. I guess it's just a thing in American culture, if you want to highlight that someone is the bad guy, have them evoke the bad guys we defeated in WWII, the Good War.

Edit: I was surprised to see an arena full of bald people in DUNC2. I kinda expected that most people on Giedi Prime are just drudges dressed in rags and that the baldness was a requirement for people in the royal family's vampire sex dungeon pleasure dome.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 21, 2024

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Drove 30 miles one way last night to see this in IMAX, didn't get to bed until 1am on a weekday, and it was probably the best decision I've made in weeks.

The film was as crisp as you'd expect IMAX to be, but dear god the sound took things to another level. The sheer intensity and power really did add to the experience. You viscerally felt the sandworms as they were approaching and being ridden, the explosions were that much more effective, just exquisite use of sound in a way you don't get very often.

A bit surprised with how it ended, I was expecting Paul to give Chani at least some reassurance that she's still his #1 after the duel like he does in the book.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Failed Imagineer posted:

The average citizen of the Roman Empire wasn't trying to flee to trans-Alpine Gaul because they were horrified by gladiatorial games or anything. People are products of their culture, probably safe to say that if you'd been raised as a bald cannibal Nazi Giger-freak you might be more into that whole scene

Turning to the freak next to me, "slicing up drugged pig slaves used to be a real accomplishment, all these rules and rituals really bog it down, too safe and easy, booooring"

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Arglebargle III posted:

That was not Yueh. Yueh got his head cut off in the first movie.

Right! I think my point still stays, though.

AnEdgelord posted:

In the book this is much clearer, Paul now fully inhabits the role of the Messiah to the Fremen now, even were he not to personally direct it the Fremen would launch the Jihad against the Great Houses for the mere insult of denying his ascendancy. The point is even made in the book that Feyd killing him in the duel would not be enough to stop it now since the Fremen would simply say he ascended to be an immortal spirit that fights by their side for the rest of time.

edit: much of the tension in the last portion of the book is not Paul's duel or the political maneuvering but Paul using his future sight to try and guide everything to the softest landing he can possibly manage, and the softest he can manage is a slightly less bloody galactic genocide

That's interesting. I still don't get the Fremen motivation to go anywhere beyond their planet. They want to rule the planet on their own, not have foreigners come and steal the spice, and create an abundance of water. Getting into spaceships (which they don't know how to operate) to fight people on other planets doesn't fit this narrative. If that's even what's happening at the end of the movie -- it looked to me like that's what they were doing.

Zero_Grade posted:

The film was as crisp as you'd expect IMAX to be, but dear god the sound took things to another level. The sheer intensity and power really did add to the experience. You viscerally felt the sandworms as they were approaching and being ridden, the explosions were that much more effective, just exquisite use of sound in a way you don't get very often.

I'm actually glad our theater had normal sound. In the past 5 years or so it happened a couple of times to me and friends my age (in their 40's) that the movie is so loud we tried to make earplugs with pieces of paper tissues. :corsair:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

look the bene gesserit can transmute poison, but you still gotta puke it up sometimes. it has to go somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Zero_Grade posted:

A bit surprised with how it ended, I was expecting Paul to give Chani at least some reassurance that she's still his #1 after the duel like he does in the book.

given how the film contextualizes their relationship, I think that would be pretty tone deaf from paul if he said "I will rule over the empire" and then turned around and said to chani "hey remember how I promised I wouldn't become the ruler of the empire? yeah don't worry, I don't actually love irulan"

the pre-fight callback to the earlier line "I will love you as long as I breathe" is the closest the film comes to this idea in dialogue, and it's framed almost as an impotent apology.