Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

CelticPredator posted:

I forgot Tony Todd was in the crow

Also this movie is still cool to this day. Perfect film honestly

It really is such a great film and, man, Brandon Lee could have become a massive star. You saw so much potential bubbling underneath the surface and this film easily could have been the one to propel him hard upwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s so tragic. But it’s also beautiful in a way. It’s a deeply iconic wonderful performance and it lives forever in this film. At least there’s that.

When I first watched it many years ago as a teen I had an idea of what it could be, very angsty and moody but I didn’t expect it would be so much fun. Lee just has a blast with Draven and just makes him super unpredictable and interesting. You never know what he’s going to do next.

Also Michael Wincott is just the goat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Outwaters director on his upcoming film https://twitter.com/RobbieBanfitch/status/1770845644275524057?s=20

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Justin Godscock posted:

It really is such a great film and, man, Brandon Lee could have become a massive star. You saw so much potential bubbling underneath the surface and this film easily could have been the one to propel him hard upwards.

He deserved a loving Oscar nod just for his delivery on "A man and a woman in love, a year ago" and "Listen - I'm sure you'll remember". The rage and grief combined in his voice is so hard to pull off and he absolutely nailed it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Phy posted:

I'm trying to remember if William Gibson or Neal Stephenson foresaw art and literature being outsourced to silicon when they were inventing the cyberpunk dystopia

i'm pretty sure there's a Neal Stephenson novel where the internet is useless because it's completely flooded with meaningless garbage data

e: okay yeah it's an aside in Anathem

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 22, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm pretty sure there's a Neal Stephenson novel where the internet is useless because it's completely flooded with meaningless garbage data

Have you tried searching something on Google images lately? Half the results are AI-generated now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The_Doctor posted:

Have you tried searching something on Google images lately? Half the results are AI-generated now.

Even before LLM image generators really took off Google was already becoming steadily less useful just through perverse SEO incentives. Profit motive ruins everything it touches.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

from now on we post by mail

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

What he got wrong was the idea that if the internet was useless, people would stop using it.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Maxwell Lord posted:

What's great about it (apart from the owl mask) is instead of having people picked off one by one until they realize what's happening, it's just "Oh poo poo we're in here with a psycho killer" and the rest of the movie is just everybody running around trying not to die.

Yeah, I was surprised that it didn't try to be a mystery at all. We immediately know who the killer is, how he got there, and what he's doing. That felt really fresh!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite ai thing is on Reddit where someone is like

“I’m made these images based on whatever what do you think ☺️”

And it’s always bad ai poo poo and it’s always stupid lol

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, apparently it’s not just those interstitial title cards. It’s all over the set too.

https://twitter.com/stretchedwiener/status/1771170582437970104

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, apparently it’s not just those interstitial title cards. It’s all over the set too.

Who made this?

AI made this.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If I had a nickel for every beloved member of the Beetlejuice cast who was or is in serious legal trouble I’d have ten cents but it’s unfortunate for the lovely nostalgia grab that it happened twice

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m still gonna watch it because I don’t think we should throw out all the good because of the hacks who made it. But I won’t see it in theaters!!

(Because I’m so broke and everything is falling apart lmao lol…)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Simply make like a teen sneaking into Friday the 13th and buy tickets for some other movie at the same time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I can’t afford any ticket atm :(

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Origami Dali posted:

Don't worry, when AI gets so good that you won't be able to tell the difference (it's already getting pretty close), this problem will be moot because all media will be using it and artists will basically be hosed. Without legislation, there's no stopping this poo poo.

it absolutely is not getting close, at all

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Immaculate is pretty good! A lot more intense than I expected, which is nice. And Sydney Sweeney absolutely nails it, I'm glad to be vindicated that she's perfect for horror, got those big Shelley Duvall eyes and is gunning for the Best Screamer leaderboard cuz there's one scene in particular she must have wrecked her ability to speak for a few days after filming. It's also WAY gorier than I anticipated.

Not perfect, the first half in particular really kinda drags, and most of the supporting cast are very one-dimensional, but when it steps on the gas, it's very enjoyable. Maybe i'm just going soft since I've sat through Imaginary, Baghead and Night Swim in theatres this year in the way of horror movies, but it's nice to get just decent.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 22, 2024

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

I feel like this Twitter post pretty clearly misunderstands what was AI about the interstitial cards.

It wasn't the Night Owls logo and general branding, and that set art doesn't look AI to me.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I have some theatre coupons I need to use up this weekend, should we see Immaculate or Love Lies Bleeding?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Opopanax posted:

I have some theatre coupons I need to use up this weekend, should we see Immaculate or Love Lies Bleeding?
I haven't seen Immaculate but Love Lies Bleeding was so good

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I feel like this Twitter post pretty clearly misunderstands what was AI about the interstitial cards.

It wasn't the Night Owls logo and general branding, and that set art doesn't look AI to me.

These building windows have that AI differently sized randomly placed look all over them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

it absolutely is not getting close, at all

Not even remotely - the threat is simply that they keep forcing you to look at it and pretend like you don't know the difference.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

These building windows have that AI differently sized randomly placed look all over them.

Hmmm... Maybe.

I will say that all of the shots in that twitter post look like the background was replaced at some point, but it's hard to tell if that's because they are emulating an old timey look or if they are badly composited.

The entire film has a soft glow to it so it's hard to tell.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

lmao

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Love Lies Bleeding for sure. Hands down.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

“AI” poo poo sucks. I have this stupid av because someone was doing a(n admittedly pretty funny) bit where if you posted in the C-SPAM succlib thread they’d buy you an AI Bernie Sanders av themed after your username, but that was before it became the next post-NFT grift

also I wanna see LNwtD when it comes to Shudder (and ideally when they replace that crap) and I wanna see Immaculate. OK I’m caught up on the thread

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, I've not seen Love Lies Bleeding yet (won't be out here until May, which is frankly homophobic to me), but based on reception, it's definitely the right pick.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Love Lies Bleeding is tremendous work. I am obsessed with Rose Glass and with Saint Maud and she just amplifies every aspect of her style ten fold in these really beautiful and destructive ways. Just a really gorgeous movie filled with blood and guts and rippling biceps with some of the grossest sounds you can imagine. I dont think it would be too much to say it is a fine example of body horror, probably one of the best.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I want to see Immaculate and Love Lies Bleeding but my local theater abruptly, permanently closed today!!

The_Doctor posted:

The classic "literally any elementary school student would do a better job" look, nice

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

I'm still in the process of collecting my thoughts on this brouhaha while getting caffinated so my apologies in advance if I ramble.

I did see Late Night with the Devil yesterday. Like all my movie watching since I started at my job, free tickets with my only money spent on 50% off concessions which goes to keeping the lights on and me and my coworkers paid. I went to an early show so auditorium was half full.

The film's great. A rarity these days of an original concept told well when we're given more reboots/remakes as of late. Dastmalchian is amazing as Delroy, completely sold me on his being a struggling talk show host desperate to make it that extra bit more to fame with a horrible cost. The effects were good and the film left me wanting to know more about the aftermath of the broadcast. A lot of heart went into this from the cast and crew and it shows. The set design was on point, costumes spot on for the era. It had that mid-late 70s feel that put a smile on my face. At one point I was even agreeing with a comment the demon made.

But now to the rancid fart in the room, the AI usage. I've been following the subject for quite a while because movies and movie industry news does have a trickle down effect to shlebs like me on the theater level in film does well = we get more hours.

AI was inevitable, same with CGI and other cost cutting technology advancements. It's also far more widespread than just image generation in the industry. The intro for the Secret Wars show as entirely AI. Dune 2 used AI for the eye tracking and color correction which does put the people who used to do that job now at risk of keeping those jobs. Madame Web's script was AI generated and good GOD did it show. And those latter are just two recent examples from major studios with massive budgets to blow doing this, and very little's been said about this compared to the volume of recent upset with Late Night. Is it a matter of an indie film's an easier example target compared to a major studio's product? Is it a matter of visibility in no one thinks about the behind the scenes stuff compared to what's up front on screen, though I would argue the Web script as very visibly bad. Or is it even a difference in from when Late Night was filmed and finished to now, we're more aware of the darker implications of AI usage and it's freaking people out? I'm definitely thinking there's a strong influence of the latter considering all the film festival showings and weeks of the trailers being out with only in the past couple days or so was the AI images mentioned.

With all that said so far this point in post, I strongly sympathize with the graphic artists regarding art theft. I've had a few indie art friends end up crying on my couch because Lady Gaga's people showed up at the art show they were presenting their work at to steal concepts and they couldn't afford any legal recourse to protect their work. The AI companies did a very lovely thing by stealing images from Deviantart and the like. The more ethical route would have been to contact the various artists for permissions and kick them an ongoing royalties payout for as long as their work's in the database. But they didn't and here we are. I do more than understand the exceptionally valid fears of losing your job to technology. I don't talk about this much, but at one point the chain I work for gave kiosks for ticket sales a try. It ended up not panning out for how often the kiosks were down, and how expensive it was to repair. So while it ended up being more cost effective and versatile in the long run to have a person slinging tickets, handling cash, answering movie questions/giving suggestions, all it's going to take is some derp higher up the corporate chain to say 'hey, let's give kiosks a try again' and hopefully I'll have a spot slinging popcorn or scrubbing nacho sauce off the wall fabric rather than the alternative.

This is a complex mess that we each have to come to our own conclusion with. Do we avoid Late Night because of the AI knowing the studios will interpret this as original ideas don't sell so here's some more remakes and we're frikkin' starving for original ideas? Do we consider any and all AI usage as anathema regardless of how good a film or show is and all the other good practical work done in that film/show to the point we end up avoiding everything made after a certain point in time? Do we go the route of it's okay in scenarios X and Y, but Z is a no go? What the hell do we do?

I find myself sitting here thinking of each time in the past where a technological advance filled people with terror only to fizzle out. I remember when it started that synthesizers could be programmed to sound like any musical instrument and people were freaking out that who would ever again bother with trained musicians playing instruments when you could just hit some keys. It was even brought up in the movie Fame (1980) with Bruno and Mr. Shorofsky. But we still have musicians playing instruments and orchestras aren't going anywhere. When CGI started, everyone swore that was the future for special effects to the degree many talented practical effects artists left the field. But CGI's hit it's point where we easily see when it's aged poorly/not done well, see it's limitations especially with extensive usage, and when we do see practical effects, they're absolutely amazing that we're slowly seeing some shift back to them. I feel it's going to be the same with AI. We're going to go through a period of things getting ridiculously stupid with it's usage until we hit that point of 'this isn't as good as we thought it was' and it fizzles down to being a tool to speed things up in a crunch.

That said, by no means should we be complacent waiting things out until then. Seriously, I'm too old for that. We each need to find the balance that works for us in speaking out. For some, that's going to be going scorched earth boycott with collateral damage, and for others it's going to praise the good while expressing our disappointment with the AI, and others going somewhere between those points. We can hope that since everything's digital that the Late Night people do a fix like how they did with the Cats film's butthole situation.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

Madame Web's script was AI generated and good GOD did it show.

Do you actually believe this, or do you think mixing jokes in with your other examples helps your case somehow?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just got back from Immaculate. Absolutely loved it. Understand some won't feel as strongly as I do but holy poo poo

a) Already was a big Sydney Sweeney fan, knowing this was a passion project of hers for a decade made me excited and it delivered in that aspect
b) Can't say enough how utterly surprised and delighted I was by all the giallo and Italian-horror love on display throughout in homages (including with the cinematography), right down to use of a song from goddamn Red Queen Kills Seven Times :stare:
c) The ending's cool and I loved (mild spoiler) doing it all in seemingly one take
d) The worst I can say about it is there's a bit too much jumpscares and fakeouts in the first half, but the second half credibly stands on its own and goes off the rails

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

c) The ending's cool and I loved (mild spoiler) doing it all in seemingly one take

The ending is absolutely the highlight of the movie, didn't expect it to get as graphic as it did, even biting the umibilical cord, and the scream that must have really loving sucked to do multiple takes of. The screaming reminded me a lot of the ending of Pearl, that hanging on a single uncomfortable image for so long it just makes you squirm.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 22, 2024

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pirate Jet posted:

Do you actually believe this, or do you think mixing jokes in with your other examples helps your case somehow?

I do believe AI was involved with it's creation with it being a test on how far can the major studios push this as a thing in light of how long the Writer's Guild strike went and considering one of the strikers concerns were of AI usage with scripts. The jankiness of the writing does fit for what AI spits out and it would fit for the studios to masquerade it under a few jokes on TV instead of it coming out they're looking for a cheap replacement for writers who require those pesky things like getting paid and taking time to write.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i dont know enough about AI but maybe someone who knows more can answer: wont AI scripts/movies eventually fall victim to "dead internet theory" except movies? if AI movies get pumped out and then AI is trained on them they just generate progressively more weird AI movies?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

i dont know enough about AI but maybe someone who knows more can answer: wont AI scripts/movies eventually fall victim to "dead internet theory" except movies? if AI movies get pumped out and then AI is trained on them they just generate progressively more weird AI movies?

Hypothetically yes, but companies will most likely attempt to get around this by making scrips with AI and then passing them onto writers to “fix up” for a lesser fee than they would have to pay for an entirely original script.

That being said, unlike the DGA and SAG-AFTRA, the WGA actually got very strong protections against AI exploitation in the agreement they reached after their recent strike, so this is less of a concern for writers compared to visual effects artists, actors, or apparently here, production designers.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Hypothetically yes, but companies will most likely attempt to get around this by making scrips with AI and then passing them onto writers to “fix up” for a lesser fee than they would have to pay for an entirely original script.

That being said, unlike the DGA and SAG-AFTRA, the WGA actually got very strong protections against AI exploitation in the agreement they reached after their recent strike, so this is less of a concern for writers compared to visual effects artists, actors, or apparently here, production designers.

that makes sense, ty!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

M_Sinistrari posted:

I do believe AI was involved with it's creation with it being a test on how far can the major studios push this as a thing in light of how long the Writer's Guild strike went and considering one of the strikers concerns were of AI usage with scripts. The jankiness of the writing does fit for what AI spits out and it would fit for the studios to masquerade it under a few jokes on TV instead of it coming out they're looking for a cheap replacement for writers who require those pesky things like getting paid and taking time to write.

So, essentially, this is a theory you're presenting as fact?.

I mean, I'm fairly concerned by this kind of automation and consider it anti-art, but these guys wrote the script to Morbius. They just suck.

And wouldn't they have to credit whatever tool they used during the making of the film? Surely.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 22, 2024