Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

starkebn posted:

Ever since watching "L'effondrement" with my partner two weeks ago she's been in a really bad mood

Hahaha

Which was her "favourite" episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
sure the line looks bad now, but 1) I’m sure it will go back to normal next year and 2) who gives a gently caress about lines. this is the future. I only care about things with more than one dimension. let me know when a plane or higher order tensor is bad

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
someone take the year over year difference of that graph and plot that and I bet it won’t look so scary.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't live in the ocean so it doesn't matter?? :confused:

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
you don't yet?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Microplastics posted:

Hahaha

Which was her "favourite" episode

She was most effected by the aged care home episode I think. For me, I think the refugees who gently caress up when they go to the country house is the one that has stayed with me. Every episode has a lot worth pondering on though.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Stereotype posted:

sure the line looks bad now, but 1) I’m sure it will go back to normal next year and 2) who gives a gently caress about lines. this is the future. I only care about things with more than one dimension. let me know when a plane or higher order tensor is bad

the future is unknowable really, why worry about it?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

I like syqs please do more

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
well for one there's been a ton of political progress ...

https://www.scotusblog.com/2023/05/supreme-court-curtails-clean-water-act/

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/06/30/1055272/supreme-court-climate-policy-epa/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2023/12/30/florida-insurance-citizens-slide/

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/12/litigation-terrorism-how-corporations-are-winning-billions-from-governments

f/e lol

quote:

And so far it is mostly investors who have been the system’s beneficiaries, winning 61% of ISDS case decisions between 1987 and 2017, with an average award of $504m each. Fossil fuel magnates won 72% of their cases, shaking down governments for more than $77bn, according to the Transnational Institute.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Chard posted:

a joker laugh that just keeps getting louder

"you get what you fuckin deserve" energy

we've tried nothing and all of our ideas are just ways to scam money

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh wait they probably meant THIS joker laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFR5oZQrIVc

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

mags posted:

I like syqs please do more

yeah don't listen to will stancil he's a dumbass

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
gonna be interesting when Mexico City and Johannesburg run out of water soon.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I haven't really seen anything on this specifically but in physics usually this kind of behavior - sudden and extreme sensitivity to drivers - indicates reaching some critical point where the system in question starts hunting for a new equilibrium.

Is that kind of accepted as the case here or are these just anomalous swings for now?

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Acelerion posted:

Is that kind of accepted as the case here or are these just anomalous swings for now?

None of this is accepted, nothing is anomalous, go back to sleep citizen

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I think it is accepted that tipping points have been reached and things are accelerating to a new equilibrium. Which feedback loops etc are specifically responsible is debatable

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
The one cardinal rule of climate change is that things are always worse than we think and moving faster than we think, so if it's possible the point of irreversibility has been reached then it absolutely happened, a while ago

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Eventually we'll settle into a new equilibrium of "no data" once nobody is around to take measurements.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Acelerion posted:

I haven't really seen anything on this specifically but in physics usually this kind of behavior - sudden and extreme sensitivity to drivers - indicates reaching some critical point where the system in question starts hunting for a new equilibrium.

it’s just El Niño

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
Had a bit of a cackle at this one

(sorry bout the lovely machine translation)

quote:

More environmental toxins in organic eggs
Published today 19:09

Organic eggs contain higher levels of PFAS chemicals than other eggs, which can be harmful. And young children are especially vulnerable, shows a new review by Råd och Rön.

Eggs from 20 suppliers, nine of which are organically produced, have been tested by Råd & Rön. What they have been looking for are toxins in the form of dioxins, PCBs and so-called highly fluorinated substances, or PFAS.

The result shows a clear problem with all three types of poison in organic eggs, which can be harmful to the body. The toxins are also found in conventional eggs, but the levels are higher in the organic ones. Among other things, the dioxin levels were around a hundred times higher in the organic eggs, Råd & Rön states.

The harmful substances come from fishmeal found in the feed that the hens eat.

All eggs pass the limit for the values found within the EU, but according to the EU's food authority's recommendations, not so many of the most contaminated eggs are required before reaching the maximum limit for what is considered to be able to affect health in the long term.

Regarding PFAS, the highest levels were found in organic eggs from Kronägg. Of these, a child weighing ten kilos can eat a maximum of three eggs per week before reaching the maximum value according to Råd & Rön.
"Choose what you are confident with"

Marie Lönneskog Hogstadius, operations manager at the industry organization Swedish Eggs, believes that there is nothing that can be done at the moment to reduce the poison levels.

- At the end of 2024, when the measurement is over, the Swedish Food Agency will certainly draw conclusions based on what we have been told, she says.

When asked why one should buy organic eggs, she answers:

- There are several different variants and forms of production. You simply have to choose the product you feel safe with.
Change of EU rules

There are rules in the EU that say how organic food must be produced, something that Marie Lönneskog Hogstadius believes may need to be changed to reduce the levels of toxins.

- The very simplest thing would be for the EU to change its rules for organic eggs so that we can add pure amino acids to the feed, she says.

She also believes that other protein sources can be found instead of fishmeal in the hens' feed.

- There has been some research on insects, for example, but then you have to make sure that the insects' feed is also free of PFAS.

:crackping:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

The Oldest Man posted:

State farm just cancelled 72000 homeowners policies in California

I'm not owned I'm not owned

One weird trick to kick anyone in an even remotely marginal position right off the ladder.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

fanfic insert posted:

Had a bit of a cackle at this one

(sorry bout the lovely machine translation)

:crackping:

They fixed this in Denmark in 3 months by changing the feed

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Acelerion posted:

this is not an anomaly, it's a phase change

we are falling off the saddle point

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Struensee posted:

They fixed this in Denmark in 3 months by changing the feed

i cant find anything on this, do you have a link? I'm finding a bunch of results about higher levels of pfas in eggs but nothing on it being fixed

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

Does anyone else sometimes ask themselves "what if we're wrong?". What if we're just conspiracy nuts with an aggravated sense of self-importance and nothing better going on in our lives?
What if we're not careening off a cliff and this is indeed the best of all possible worlds?

I don't think it's true, but the sheer unmovingness of it all just makes me wonder sometimes. I know things do move, but we can do so much better.

Also, somewhat related, the hatred of some people against climate activists profoundly scares and saddens me.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

uguu posted:

Does anyone else sometimes ask themselves "what if we're wrong?". What if we're just conspiracy nuts with an aggravated sense of self-importance and nothing better going on in our lives?
What if we're not careening off a cliff and this is indeed the best of all possible worlds?

I don't think it's true, but the sheer unmovingness of it all just makes me wonder sometimes. I know things do move, but we can do so much better.

Also, somewhat related, the hatred of some people against climate activists profoundly scares and saddens me.

What "sheer unmovingness"?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

uguu posted:

There's an old comic that asks the question regarding climate change responses, "What if we make the world a better place for no reason!?"

Basically, the poo poo that needs doing in order for humanity to have a chance at survival (modern civilization is probably kaput no matter what) is largely good even if all of our climate doomerism is incorrect or if the predictions being put forth are overblown.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
[Biosphere collapse]

quote:

there is nothing that can be done at the moment to reduce the poison levels

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
The only thing we could be wrong about is the speed of the destruction (and we disagree on that anyway). We're not living sustainably so total destruction is inevitable if nothing changes.

I guess we could be wrong about humanity's potential to turn it all around and become sustainable (or, be subject to blowback to a degree that forces us into a sustainable relationship with the environment). But some level of destruction has already happened. So the only thing we could be wrong about is the final degree of the destruction after the dust settles.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

uguu posted:

my reply to the normies when they downplay reality is, “I really hope you’re right.”

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

uguu posted:

I haven't actually stopped consuming treats or enjoying life with my friends as if it's business as usual, though I'm fortunate that I never wanted kids so I never had to worry too hard about the idea of how to nurture and protect a kid with a chronic respiratory illness who has to go to summer camp during a fire season, or whatever.

Being wrong just means that if we enter an unprecedented time of peace and prosperity caused by Donald Trump cutting a good deal with the aliens who know cold fusion or whatever, I'll be able to appreciate and be grateful for how fortunate we are even more keenly.

But also we have a bunch of different crises all coming to gently caress us up, so even if the microplastics in our brains turn out to be good actually, and plants didn't really need bees to pollinate them actually, and crops are more resilient to fungus than we thought they were, and methane in the atmosphere can be easily removed actually, and prion disease turned out to be as mild as polio, and long covid really is just mental illness from lazy people who don't want to work anymore, I dunno. Seems like something else will get us.

Edit: Yeah my reply to normies who ask "but what if you're wrong" is a fairly emphatic "I sure loving hope so, I would love to be wrong".

Colin Mockery has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Mar 23, 2024

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

tuyop posted:

my reply to the normies when they downplay reality is, “I really hope you’re right.”

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

uguu posted:

The current mainstream optimistic consensus would scare the poo poo out of doomer me from fifteen years ago. What you're feeling is intentional gaslighting where we just keep moving the goalposts so that anyone with a pessimistic viewpoint is and always was wrong.

COVID made it really easy to see this effect in fast forward. People in the COVID thread were absolutely insane doomers for suggesting that a few hundred thousand people would die in the US, and almost everyone laughed at the idea of more than a million US deaths. Except nobody talks about that anymore and everyone acts like the doomer position was actually total collapse of the US government by 2022 or some bullshit.

So I guess my answer is that I hope the pessimists are wrong, but that's a dumb thing to hope for when they're the only ones who have been right all along. "Is it gonna be bad?" is not an open question anymore. Another way to put it is that the actual crazy people keep making crazier predictions because their less crazy ones keep coming true.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

It's like someone telling you they can't afford to go to McDonald's anymore and then calling you a crazy doomer because you think the economy is bad.

maxwellhill
Jan 5, 2022
did i make that game unprogressable by refusing to buy a politician

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

Microplastics posted:

The only thing we could be wrong about is the speed of the destruction (and we disagree on that anyway). We're not living sustainably so total destruction is inevitable if nothing changes.

I guess we could be wrong about humanity's potential to turn it all around and become sustainable (or, be subject to blowback to a degree that forces us into a sustainable relationship with the environment). But some level of destruction has already happened. So the only thing we could be wrong about is the final degree of the destruction after the dust settles.

This is accurate. The person from this thread that posted in Doomsday Econ claiming the end of industrial society within 10 years. That requires the belief that earth will become incompatible with human life for any period of time at all. That's the extreme end of the degrees of 100% destruction presented almost impossibly fast.

Optimists are still in the realm where large scale destruction is impossible and it's just a matter of whether we have to deal with the pain and discomfort of 15% destruction somewhere else they don't have to personally experience. Worst case would be experiencing a disaster that inconveniences them.

Even if the clathrate gun is really, actually, fully, finally firing we would probably have 20-80 years before things get so bad we just can't maintain global industry anymore.

Another issue is that "Collapse" is so broad of a term. One person sets it at the end of the human species and another sets it at the end of the human dollar.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just to be clear, when I post "lol worlds done in 10 wrap it up" that's not per se literal. (I posted that and made that one guy made sorry I guess).

Having said that, if you take the +40F temps we had this winter and apply them in summer everyones dead, that's it. You can't have summer be 140F for 12 hours at a time and survive. AC won't save you because the power grid is toast once we get there.

So is that going to happen in the next 10 years? I don't know, and that's a big loving problem. It actually could happen, and even you can say it WILL happen, maybe its a question of what % of the earth is going to have multiple days at 140+. But we are getting some firsthand experience that +2C means for 1 day a month its +20C hotter and that's so much more serious than people realize right now.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
technology will save us if things get that bad, relax

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Remembering the paper about ice cores in Greenland showing double digit degree changes in under a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

quote:

Two years after the 2021 heat dome, Washington’s deadliest weather-related disaster, researchers are still trying to pin down its full impacts and what lessons can be learned.

Officials estimate 126 people died from the heat between June 26 and July 2, 2021, when Washington set 128 all-time high temperature records, including in Seattle where people sweltered in up to 108 degrees. But a new report from the University of Washington says the heat dome was likely far deadlier, with 441 more people dying during that week than would have been expected based on previous years, after accounting for COVID-19.

That’s the highest estimate so far, said co-author and state Department of Health epidemiologist Kelly Naismith.

In addition, the report said, the Seattle and King County 911 system was inundated with more calls than it has ever seen in its 53-year history, and nearly a quarter of the summer’s emergency visits for drownings happened during the heat dome. In total, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated a 69-fold increase in emergency visits for acute heat illness.

The report — led by the UW Climate Impacts Group with authors from the DOH, the office of the Washington state climatologist and Gonzaga University — details how heat waves will increasingly affect the region in the next few decades.

“While we are out of the frying pan of the 2021 heat dome, we are not yet out of the fire,” the report states, offering short- and long-term solutions to help prevent deaths, particularly among vulnerable groups, during future extreme temperatures.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/uw-report-offers-solutions-to-help-prevent-deaths-during-wa-heat-waves/