Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

This is the bulk of the order that CNN linked to:

-Trump does not have to post a $464 million bond today
-He has 10 more days to post a $175 million bond
-He can get a loan from an NY-based business to do this
-He and related cronies may lead corporations in NY again
-The court monitor still controls all his assets
-The original judgement still stands

so what he just dicks around begging for another 10 days? why is he aloud to lead corps again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
He says he had 500 mil cash on hand yeah?

And he doesn't have 175 mil, would struggle to raise a tenth of that, yeah?

Ten more days :/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
laaaaaaaaaaaame

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Mr Trump, you are hereby ordered to post bond by the time I count to three or we start seizing assets. One, Two... ...two and a half... ...two...and three quarters..."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Uglycat posted:

He says he had 500 mil cash on hand yeah?

And he doesn't have 175 mil, would struggle to raise a tenth of that, yeah?

Ten more days :/

Yeah, I'm wondering if James can submit a response pointing out that he claims he has the whole amount.

I am getting genuinely disgusted by the absolute inability of the legal system to impose any consequences at all.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Next time a Democrat says "we are a nation of laws" you can walk up and give them a wedgie because they are dead loving wrong.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so what he just dicks around begging for another 10 days? why is he aloud to lead corps again?

"Ah well, nevertheless"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

None of the other courts are imposing consequences. Therefore, it would be partisan (and racist) and a violation of precedence and norms to enforce any legal judgement.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

What if they wheeled out the Madame? Not as a threat, just, you know, as a possible option to keep in mind.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Can james file to contest that or is NY one of those states where the court of appeals is actually the Supreme court

Yes, the highest NYS court is the Court of Appeals, and the NYS Supreme Court is just a trial court that hears cases that don't fall under other courts' jurisdictions. :psyduck:

Doesn't the NYS law require the court to take 110% of the judgement amount before Trump is allowed to appeal, with no discretion on the part of the judge? Can't James just get a writ of mandamus?

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 25, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just give him the first civil death penalty it's not like laws are real.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I don't know why any businesses follow the law, to be honest. It seems like a pointless competitive disadvantage

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
If the punishment for a crime does not meet or exceed the benefit of doing said crime, then it's just "cost of doing business."

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
lol awesome

trump wanders into court and is handed a form "do you want to be punished? check one:
no
extra no

the judge stares extra hard at the form for 5 minutes, apologizes to trump for wasting his time, and allows him to leave

somewhere in a far away forum someone is screamed at because "that's not how it works!! trump CAN'T wiggle out of this one!!"

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Lemming posted:

I don't know why any businesses follow the law, to be honest. It seems like a pointless competitive disadvantage

Not every business is run by Donald Trump. It’s not that businesses are immune to legal consequence, it’s that Donald Trump specifically seems immune to consequence, and his businesses exist within his area of effect.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

$150 million seems a bargain to a billionaire who wants leverage over the next President. Also the court stayed the effort to prevent his sons from being executives of his organization.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Hush money trial starts April 15.
Guardian:

quote:

New York judge rules Trump hush money case can start on 15 April
Judge Juan Merchan has ruled that Donald Trump’s trial on charges related to making hush money payments will begin on 15 April.

The former president’s attorneys had alleged misconduct by Manhattan district attorney Alvin Bragg’s office in sharing evidence, and asked for the charges to be dismissed, or the proceedings to be delayed at least 90 days.

“The district attorney of NY County is not at fault for the late production of documents from the US attorney’s office,” Merchan said.

He added that “defendant has been given a reasonable amount of time to prepare,” and “Jury selection in this matter will commence in 21 days, on April 15.”

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Kestral posted:

Not every business is run by Donald Trump. It’s not that businesses are immune to legal consequence, it’s that Donald Trump specifically seems immune to consequence, and his businesses exist within his area of effect.

I doubt this a lot. The only reason he's facing the potential(lol) of consequences is he's Donald Trump and wanted to be president and brag about how many crimes he does. He never would have been charged otherwise

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DTurtle posted:

Hush money trial starts April 15.

Did they start picking the jury today or not

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Did they start picking the jury today or not
Added the excerpt from the live blog. Jury selection is on April 15.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

aaaaaaahahahahahaha

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
If he isn't able to come up with the 175 in 10 days does the court go back to seizing half a billion of stuff, or is it pegged to the 175 while the appeals are ongoing?

Also this seems like it is setting precedent that the NY law of requiring a bond to stay appeal seizures could be overturned/restricted by other plaintiffs in the future due to this ruling. Then again "When we wrote this law we didn't think someone could crime so hard to have half a billion at stake".

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Legal precedent is loving dead and anyone still clinging to it have already lost (on appeal).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

KillHour posted:

What motivation could the court possibly have to do that? Like, what is the reasoning here?

If he's going to appeal either way, the court would actually prefer for him to be able to pay the bond and delay the seizures, since that's less trouble for everyone if he somehow wins the appeal. The Trump team claimed that he'd be able to pay the bond if it was a bit smaller, and so the judge is giving them one chance to prove it.

Besides, in general, judges don't like unusually high financial barriers (and by "unusually high", I mean "relative to what most other people in similar situations face", not "relative to their ability to pay"). While a bond size of half a billion dollars isn't completely unprecedented, it's something generally associated with big multinationals like Samsung, not a relatively small company like the Trump Organization.

And, most importantly, it's fairly difficult to argue that he won't have sufficient skin in the game with a $175 million bond - especially given how hard he's struggling to scrape together the cash for it.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

in 10 days the court will rule that we all owe donald trump one hundred dollars each for wasting his time

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

aventari posted:

It sucks but I am not expecting any kind of property seizure to start next week. The most likely thing is an extension from the court because rich, powerful people deserve a break.

*sigh* I'm so loving tired of how predicatable this bullshit is

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Donkringel posted:

If he isn't able to come up with the 175 in 10 days does the court go back to seizing half a billion of stuff, or is it pegged to the 175 while the appeals are ongoing?

If he can't come up with it, it means it was too much, which means they should reduce the amount since it'd clearly be unfair (and too much work to enforce, really), which would require another extension

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

If he can't come up with it, it means it was too much, which means they should reduce the amount since it'd clearly be unfair (and too much work to enforce, really), which would require another extension

Zeno's penalty

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Lemming posted:

Pay no attention to his public statements

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1772301520228216985

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
It's not all bad news though.

https://x.com/lawofruby/status/1772292008888963201?s=20

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Yeah, I'm wondering if James can submit a response pointing out that he claims he has the whole amount.

I am getting genuinely disgusted by the absolute inability of the legal system to impose any consequences at all.

The US legal system is working as it was designed. It fucks over the poor and protect the rich.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
If he's unable to pay even the lowered bond that would be goddam hilarious

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
I'm pretty sure she has that exactly backwards. The judgment1 is stayed2 with respect to the "Can't get a loan provision".

1: Trump Org is hosed
2: Don't enforce the loving just yet

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Ah! Well. Nevertheless,

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

I'm not a lawyer, but the order to me really seems to be saying the opposite of this:

quote:

It is ordered that the motion is granted to the extent of staying enforcement of those portions of the Judgment [...] barring defendant Donald J. Trump and the corporate defendants from applying for loans from New York financial institutions for three years

What am I missing?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Huh, weird, he just said he has more than 500 million in cash but well I guess what people directly say themselves of their own volition doesn't apply in rich people court, all that poo poo is for the little people. Better give him another extension and reduce the costs a bit more. Wouldn't want him to be able to say on appeal, "Well they were really mean to me and I don't like what they did." That's a powerful defense for a certain type of defendant apparently.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i thought engoron had already stayed the portion of his ruling that barred bank loans

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Yea I think Lisa is reading that entirely backwards. They stayed the part where he can't work with NY banks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i thought engoron had already stayed the portion of his ruling that barred bank loans

He did