Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Did you guys know that Samuel L Jackson and Nic Cage starred in a buddy crime movie together? If you didn't, you might wonder why you haven't heard of it. Let me clear that up for you, it's called Amos & Andrew. You can probably start to put the pieces together from there.

But seriously, it's not actually that bad. There's almost no blackface. There's a Reverend Jackson parody character that I think is unfair, but beyond that the race stuff hasn't aged poorly.

The inciting incident being a black man (Jackson) in his own house in a fancy white neighborhood being mistaken for a burglar and almost shot by the cops. The plot follows on from there when the cops realize their mistake but also that Jackson's character didn't realize the guy who shot at him was a cop. The police chief decides to save face by getting an actual criminal, (Cage) to break into the house, pretend to be the guy who shot at him, and then pretend to get arrested, at which point he will be let go with the promise that he makes himself scarce. Of course things go wrong, hijinks ensue, and Jackson and Cage learn about each other and so on and so forth, you get it.

The movie also features a young Giancarlo Esposito, a baby-faced Brad Dourif, and Bob Balaban! And there's some decent comedy moments. It's amazing that conservative comedy sucks so much when white liberals are such a great source for comedy.

What has aged badly, ironically, has nothing to do with race. As I said Cage's character is a criminal. But they also wanted the audience to like him. So what crimes can Cage have done that would bring him in frequent conflict with the authorities, but also establish him as more a loveable rogue than an actual bad guy? That's right, he's an inveterate statutory rapist! Complete with a scene where he seduces a 17 year old girl. Ah, the 90s.

A more pleasant sign of it's age is that Amos & Andrew ends with a rap summing up the plot! By Sir Mix-a-Lot, no less!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VUgUccsX8g

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Bostonians greatly appreciated Gústi. Plastic line got the most laughs.

Met up with some wonderful people for lunch.

Going to see In a Violent Nature later and then hopefully making it to the after-party before the bar closes this time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Fuckin called it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Also hell yeah brother

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I would have crushed moviegrid today if I could think of a single loving thing Robin Wright was in

Everything under 10% and a 0.1%. Nothin' for Robin

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Mar 24, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sitting in the theatre waiting for the next film to start and the people in the row behind me apparently appreciated Gústi as I overheard the following.

quote:

Like remember when like The Strongman like is trapped and he closed his eyes and he like entered his body like in montage and like screamed and threw it off [...] It was so funny. It was brilliant I wanna watch it again

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers posted:

Sitting in the theatre waiting for the next film to start and the people in the row behind me apparently appreciated Gústi as I overheard the following.

They’re right.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm a Bostonian and I haven't heard of Gusti! But he sounds cool. (edit: cool to see somebody involved with that on here!)

On indie slasher stuff (on that Violent Nature flick), how about this Astron-6 short / Canadian beer ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHQickqOaDY

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ghostbusters has a cultural legacy of being a classic but it's more of a Porkys-tier movie tbh

I gotta disagree there, I'd say it's really cool and clever, kind of effortlessly cool, just fun to hang out with those characters and hear their conversations. And while I myself love a good 80s sex comedy or like The Toxic Avenger, Porky's to me is really boring and dumb is my thought. I don't see what Ghostbusters did to deserve such a comparison. I'll take Weekend at Bernie's though.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 24, 2024

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

FreudianSlippers posted:

Bostonians greatly appreciated Gústi. Plastic line got the most laughs.

Met up with some wonderful people for lunch.

Going to see In a Violent Nature later and then hopefully making it to the after-party before the bar closes this time.

I was in the theater and can confirm, Gústi killed! Definitely the highest density of laughs of the movies in the short program, which included some other very funny films (including a weirdly moving 20-minute drama about autoerotic asphyxiation). Also by far the best-looking, at least imo.
Gústi really benefits from the big screen, I hope you have more opportunities to show it!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m so happy for you dude! That’s so loving cool!!!

Talk to people tho please!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghostbusters is a movie that's really more than the sum of its parts. It's sci fi, urban fantasy, horror, comedy, and effortlessly weaves them together without jarring. A bunch of sleazy dorky weirdos working together with occult strangeness and ghosts who are scary and silly, often at the same time. They don't wink at the camera or try to excuse or justify them, the supernatural is there, and people react in various ways to it- the Ghostbusters try to research, control and make money off it. And it's all presented with such confidence and a banger theme song.

The franchise aspect even works because it has both a classic comedy troupe for a cast and just enough consistent rules and world building to use as a jumping off point for almost anything. It's not automatically kid friendly, but kids actually do love a sleazy rogue with a grin who gets all the best lines.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

I would have crushed moviegrid today if I could think of a single loving thing Robin Wright was in

Everything under 10% and a 0.1%. Nothin' for Robin

Princess Bride?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

ruddiger posted:

Princess Bride?

That and Gump are the two that immediately leap to mind

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

GÚSTI FOREVER

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ghostbusters is a movie that's really more than the sum of its parts. It's sci fi, urban fantasy, horror, comedy, and effortlessly weaves them together without jarring. A bunch of sleazy dorky weirdos working together with occult strangeness and ghosts who are scary and silly, often at the same time. They don't wink at the camera or try to excuse or justify them, the supernatural is there, and people react in various ways to it- the Ghostbusters try to research, control and make money off it. And it's all presented with such confidence and a banger theme song.

The franchise aspect even works because it has both a classic comedy troupe for a cast and just enough consistent rules and world building to use as a jumping off point for almost anything. It's not automatically kid friendly, but kids actually do love a sleazy rogue with a grin who gets all the best lines.

And for all the guff I give the modern reverential tone, the setup for Frozen Empire is at least a good way to continue the series, just have A New Big Ghost every movie

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
lol that was an interesting post especially because you bring to mind something I maybe hadn't thought of before:

The big continuity in the cast is that everyone is a tremendous dorky dweeb who is kinda self-centered. It's not that they're ghosts, or ghostbusters, or even humans, or white or non-white, or adults or children. Because any of those categories captures less than 75% of the characters.

Oddly enough Phoebe might be the least of all three of these but she definitely is all three.

Speaking of which, 'has ridiculous hair' gets 100% coverage.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Mar 25, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ruddiger posted:

Princess Bride?

Yeah!

CelticPredator posted:

I’m so happy for you dude! That’s so loving cool!!!

Talk to people tho please!

Yeah! (To both parts).

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Talked to people. All of them were very curious about Iceland.

Drank a few beers. Had some fun.

Tonight it's the final night and I'm cautiously optimistic Gústi might be in the top three for the audience award for shorts.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Good luck, glad it's been going over so well! Love that Gústi!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Talked to people. All of them were very curious about Iceland.

Drank a few beers. Had some fun.

Tonight it's the final night and I'm cautiously optimistic Gústi might be in the top three for the audience award for shorts.

Awesome. Are you leaving right after the festival or hanging out in Boston longer?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gústi didn't win any rewards this time but I chatted with a lot of people, both other filmmakers and BUFF people, who showered it with praise and asked when there was gonna be another one.

We'll win something else.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening so I basically have another whole day in Boston to check out the must sees.

One of the BUFF people told me not to bother with Mike's Pastries in the North End and that Modern Pastry was much much better.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Lol, that is a classic rivalry. I am a Modern man myself. Another nice spot for sweets is Burdick chocolates, who have a few locations in the city. Expensive bonbon assortments, but the hot chocolate is priced the same as Starbucks and is world class. The pastries are aight too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Gústi didn't win any rewards this time but I chatted with a lot of people, both other filmmakers and BUFF people, who showered it with praise and asked when there was gonna be another one.

We'll win something else.

I'm leaving tomorrow evening so I basically have another whole day in Boston to check out the must sees.

One of the BUFF people told me not to bother with Mike's Pastries in the North End and that Modern Pastry was much much better.

You won anyway. Imo to win a fest you gotta get good reactions and network. Laurels are just little things to put on a poster.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
How buff are we talking here

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maxwell Lord posted:

How buff are we talking here

Boston Strong

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Help me decide which to watch:

Or

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Annath posted:

Or

Dude Bro

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
We love a 70 minute film here.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/computer_atulya/status/1771565061082869970

https://twitter.com/computer_atulya/status/1771920994954821663

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

A mix of V for Vendetta from the point of view of the mask guy, John Wick, and Batman Begins? If Jordan Peele was in the director's chair I would save the release date on my phone's calendar app.

With a first time(?) director and heavy studio interference I'm not so sure about it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

TadBradley posted:

Basically this. Movie set shitposting, but goonier. I wanted to talk about Grips eating crayons.

Late to the party as usual but I have an anecdote about grips being dumbasses and I'm not even really film industry. I saw your thread but I don't want to stink it up with this as a first reply, hope it's OK for a GenChat thread.

A couple of years ago I had a motorcycle that I'd park behind the garbage bins just a couple feet from the sidewalk, right outside my bedroom window. I was very protective of it because my last bike had gotten stolen. It had an alarm. One day this film crew descended on the neighbourhood, they were shooting something in a house a bit up the street from me. They used the little corner where the garbage bins are as something of a staging area to hold spare C-stands and for grips to sit around on apple boxes.

I worked a day shift that day, and came home to my bike alarm going off. Repeatedly. These idiots were bumping into it, leaning on it, all sorts of poo poo even though it was literally tucked behind two large garbage bins they couldn't stop touching it. I stuck my head out the window and told them to knock it off, but it kept happening.

So I called my buddy who's pretty high up in the local IA Grips department. He said "if those were my guys I'd have sent them home already. Go out and demand to talk to their ALM, and they'll get smoked out." So I did that, and they went white as a sheet, and the ALM did send someone home without pay, and none of them touched my bike again.

I'd love to get more work with the union (I'm technically a permit) but morons like that really put me off of it.

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

Mister Speaker posted:

Late to the party as usual but I have an anecdote about grips being dumbasses and I'm not even really film industry. I saw your thread but I don't want to stink it up with this as a first reply, hope it's OK for a GenChat thread.

A couple of years ago I had a motorcycle that I'd park behind the garbage bins just a couple feet from the sidewalk, right outside my bedroom window. I was very protective of it because my last bike had gotten stolen. It had an alarm. One day this film crew descended on the neighbourhood, they were shooting something in a house a bit up the street from me. They used the little corner where the garbage bins are as something of a staging area to hold spare C-stands and for grips to sit around on apple boxes.

I worked a day shift that day, and came home to my bike alarm going off. Repeatedly. These idiots were bumping into it, leaning on it, all sorts of poo poo even though it was literally tucked behind two large garbage bins they couldn't stop touching it. I stuck my head out the window and told them to knock it off, but it kept happening.

So I called my buddy who's pretty high up in the local IA Grips department. He said "if those were my guys I'd have sent them home already. Go out and demand to talk to their ALM, and they'll get smoked out." So I did that, and they went white as a sheet, and the ALM did send someone home without pay, and none of them touched my bike again.

I'd love to get more work with the union (I'm technically a permit) but morons like that really put me off of it.

Dawg, if you even know what an IA permitee IS, that thread is definitely for you. :justpost:

I am very guilty of poo poo-talking grips because it's easy, but they're so essential to the process that I should probably shut up, especially as a part-time pencil pusher and bandaid technician. Grips, please come to my thread and defend your honor! Please don't crucify me on steeldeck!

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I can't contribute much except to say re: dumb grips that I know someone who was one then worked their way up to camera operator to cinematographer to assistant unit director on large-scale Netflix and FX shows.

Well, worked his way up might be wrong. Medical assistants don't work their way up to be doctors. You just become more senior in your role and/or go into management. But just saying they're not all dummies. He even got a PhD from an esteemed school along the way.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
every job has a pecking order and I assume the grips all complain about whoever is lower than them

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

every job has a pecking order and I assume the grips all complain about whoever is lower than them

Bugs?

TadBradley
Jan 14, 2008
I don't know what goes here.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Set PAs and off-production crew (office, accounting) are indeed subject to grip ridicule. Also the poor sound guy gets to listen to them talk during takes.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Grips are the drummers of the film industry. Totally indispensable but also the butt of every joke (for being dumb)

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

Or

Dude Bro owns tbh

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Watched American Fiction on the weekend. Liked it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Watched All That Jazz. Man, Fosse was a force. This movie absolutely lived up to the reputation, just wow.

It's been awhile, but I have a huge soft spot for the 5 Second Film folks and am still disappointed they never really broke free from the orbit of early youtubers into the industry more. Recall Dude Bro Massacre being fun.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 26, 2024