Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How many gremlins are there in manga/anime?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Depends, how many got wet?

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Well when Gizmo got wet he spawned 5 more mogwai. So 37 would make 185 mogwai at minimum and if they all ate after midnight that's a lot of gremlins

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

almost done with sound euphonium season 2

i got sidetracked with seasonals + video game but i'm excited to watch the second season and the various movies this week/weekend

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i got sidetracked with seasonals + video game but i'm excited to watch the second season and the various movies this week/weekend

this might be my favorite kyoani show

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mraagvpeine posted:

How many gremlins are there in manga/anime?

I know of at least one...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the stuff with reina and the teacher in euphonium just is what it is. it's her weird deal and not something the story was setting out to cleanly resolve after it was mostly finished exploring her and kumiko's relationship with each other. the online talk of euphonium as the band yuri anime just led to an unfortunate correlation of its quality with how "canon yuri" it is despite the essence of the story itself being a high school drama that's primarily interested in exploring a lot of weird relationships that fade in and out from the protagonist's life. the lesbian text, and the rest of the text, both exist side by side in euphonium and you shouldn't get too worked up over which part is in focus at the moment of reading or watching it, it's not telling a story with an idealized vision of human relationships and exactly defining that they should completely be like this it's just portraying some weird and interesting ones. if you just want the more clean cut yuri part liz and the blue bird is there and is cool

Mister Facetious posted:

They make a shooter with rpg mechanics, quests, and loot that people actually want to play; yeah, the writing may be is a complete joke, but the gameplay loop has stood the test of time.
I dunno what else to tell ya man.

Who looks at Fatal Bullet and says, "Yes; this is the shooting rpg I want to play."

the part of ggo i want in a video game is the part where there are characters i like and the action of the game flows with portraying scenes of those characters interacting. i don't enjoy playing borderlands and i don't enjoy seeing borderlands characters interact with each other

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 25, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

reina just has a crush on the teacher. nothing happens with it. its just a thing she has. euphonium is a series about how relationships can seem insanely intense one second and then fade into the background the next. unfortunately euphonium s1 aired when nobody knew yuri manga existed so it died on the cross for everyone's sins.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im pretty sure the teacher barely gets mentioned in anything past s2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you want the part of eupho that is just the writer writing a pretty cool lesbian romance liz and the blue bird is a real movie that does exist and nobody can take it from you

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Southern Cassowary posted:

this might be my favorite kyoani show

sick. i doubt it will top haruhi for me but i've got a long way to go still

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like the interview the eupho author did with the mygo writer where they just talk about liking yuri where one girl completely fucks up another's life

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Endorph posted:

i like the interview the eupho author did with the mygo writer where they just talk about liking yuri where one girl completely fucks up another's life

lol good

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

Couldn’t get into any of the SAO games, it didn’t really capture the playing an MMO simulator vibe it seemed to attempt

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Endorph posted:

this is the best case for watchign eupho and mygo ive ever seen

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ohtori Akio posted:

this is the best case for watchign eupho and mygo ive ever seen
both of them fit this example very well. mygo especially

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

GateOfD posted:

Couldn’t get into any of the SAO games, it didn’t really capture the playing an MMO simulator vibe it seemed to attempt
they're no .hack

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
is the full name "BanG Dream! It's MyGO!!!!!"? This is the one I want?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

TuxedoOrca posted:

si

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Excellent.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TuxedoOrca posted:

https://i.imgur.com/D9lBX2n.mp4

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mister Facetious posted:

They make a shooter with rpg mechanics, quests, and loot that people actually want to play; yeah, the writing may be is a complete joke, but the gameplay loop has stood the test of time.
I dunno what else to tell ya man.

I'm not going to lie, it's very hard for me to go back to Borderlands after playing roguelike shooters inspired by it. (Mostly thinking Gunfire Reborn or Roboquest.) The Blands gameplay loop is actually far too slow and drawn out for my tastes, ability cooldowns are long and the rhythm of the shooting-to-exploration loop is padded out in a way that doesn't really great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

About to see Rascal after having traveled 34 miles (!) to a theater playing it.

It is slightly too warm in this theater.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i read reina as a particular kind of person who has a nearly psychotic obsession with being good at something and her intensity kind of makes her kind of blunt and offputting in the rest of her life. you see it a lot in sports - look at like, michael jordan. it's a neat type of character to have in a high school anime about people in a band.

Endorph posted:

like when reina and kumiko hike up the mountain and reina's like "i love your terrible personality" and there's chemistry i was like "yall would be a disaster" lol

the yuri text/subtext in euphonium doesn't have a whole lot to do with what interests me about it, past the fact i think reina is a very fleshed-out character and kumiko getting sucked into her vortex is something that feels both plausible and interesting. based on the responses it feels like people had opinions on it at the time - what were they?

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Mar 26, 2024

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people talked about their relationship as the sole thing to watch euphonium for which mixed with the volatility of online discussion, unfinished and untranslated novels, the fact that it was a one season adaptation of one arc of a longer series and reina's arc as a character is over by the time later seasons would happen, and people who either get insecure about fictional characters being read as lesbians or who like to troll people deeply invested in those readings, led to frustration over reina's feelings for taki exacerbated by people online posting out of context spoilers for later novels that left out important information like the events they were referencing being in arcs that hadn't finished yet, some of these spoilers mixed with outright lies, none of the people spreading them having actually read the books they were talking about. the main one was a claim that the novels end with kumiko marrying shuichi so actually she wasn't ever gay. this is untrue, she dates shuichi for a period towards the end but they break up as that relationship turns out not to really work for her

you'll still see the marks from these earlier days of online discussion of the series in how some people talk about it. it really poisoned a lot of the online western view of the show for the people involved, which is frustrating since none of it is actually euphonium's fault. it was all born from a combination of its unexpected widespread exposure to an audience unfamiliar with yuri and the breadth of it that was already available and the ways that certain groups sharing these online cultural spaces like to enflame conversation when given the chance, giving it some weird expectations it never had any intentions of living up to. glad it's something most people watching now won't have to even think about lol

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 26, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

The Colonel posted:

glad it's something most people watching now won't have to even think about lol

it absolutely caught me off guard that y'all immediately launched into discussion of kumiko and reina like it was "a thing" based on an off-hand comment about the teacher. honestly i thought something creepy was going to happen with the teacher based on that comment at first.

euphonium is a piece of incredible character writing and a very effective exploration of how your life is affected by trying to be great at something versus treating it casually, and the way their relationship works grows organically from that, which is really cool. kind of bums me out people didn't engage with the material but i understand people wanting there to be an interesting textual yuri relationship in a show like this.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 26, 2024

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Colonel posted:

the part of ggo i want in a video game is the part where there are characters i like and the action of the game flows with portraying scenes of those characters interacting. i don't enjoy playing borderlands and i don't enjoy seeing borderlands characters interact with each other

I would love an anime game where Bamco didn't treat it as a low effort cash grab, but since that will never happen, I'll take good gameplay as a consolation prize, no matter how edgelord the dialogue is :smith:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
personally lol at concept that a text about the messy love lives of students in a high school concert band would be neat or pat

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I haven't seen Euphonium but I know at one point the band plays Rydeen so it must be peak

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

personally lol at concept that a text about the messy love lives of students in a high school concert band would be neat or pat

they like don't even have time to date. they're opening and closing the music room every day.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
at least the hxh game isn't yet another goddamned tenkaichi clone without the fun of tenkaichi

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I want a HxH srpg modeled after SRW games

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like I get why people still love Euphonium for the band stuff and the drama with it but I do think it's perfectly understandable that people who watched for Kumiko/Reina which the show did play up would end up giving up on the series with the end of season 2 and stuff later in the light novels. I don't think hammering home that it's about the band is going to make up for why they don't want to watch

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Happened upon Ghost in the Shell 2.0 while at the library. Decided why not, and grabbed it. I haven't seen it before, but I knew about the visual changes (some hand drawn scenes being replaced with CG that isn't outright terrible but just doesn't hold a candle to the original, the color grading for lack of a better term now has an orange hue going on, etc). What I didn't know was that they replaced the Puppet Master's voice actor in that release, which sure surprised me since that original performance is so distinct!

It's a historical curiosity at best, especially since the original version got that nice 4k restoration a few years back. But heck, it's the worst version of a masterpiece so it's still pretty dang watchable.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

reading under ninja and while its not the best hanazawa its still pretty entertaining

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Mister Facetious posted:

I would love an anime game where Bamco didn't treat it as a low effort cash grab, but since that will never happen, I'll take good gameplay as a consolation prize, no matter how edgelord the dialogue is :smith:

the gameplay in borderlands is not "good"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
witchhaven has better gameplay than blands

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Colonel posted:

the gameplay in borderlands is not "good"

Sorry about your skill issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Like I get why people still love Euphonium for the band stuff and the drama with it but I do think it's perfectly understandable that people who watched for Kumiko/Reina which the show did play up would end up giving up on the series with the end of season 2 and stuff later in the light novels. I don't think hammering home that it's about the band is going to make up for why they don't want to watch

it is not about the band. it's about kumiko's relationships with several people in the strangest years of her youth. her relationship with asuka is just as compelling for similar reasons to why her relationship with reina was. the show "played up" her relationship with reina about the same as it "played up" her relationship with asuka. nobody is saying that if you got invested in kumiko's relationships specifically you didn't understand the wider band appeal, even within the focus the rest of the band gets it's always centered around how it affects kumiko outside of the movie that very deliberately is not about kumiko. it is fine if people just fell off the later seasons it's just like like, the discussion very much was not focused around people just not liking that a specific pairing lost focus, it was extremely judgmental for years about the show being class s or some poo poo