Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

My first ship was an Austin class. We all had mini maglites on our belts and barely shrugged when we went dark, it was so frequent.

Andrew Tate says it was a cyberattack through and Alex Jones agrees and thinks it's because WW3 has already started. I know this from X, the everything app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

facialimpediment posted:

Andrew Tate says it was a cyberattack through and Alex Jones agrees and thinks it's because WW3 has already started. I know this from X, the everything app.

:wrong:

It's Joe Biden cramming the green new deal down our throats causing the power grid to collapse.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

Has anyone checked in on Alex Jones' neighbors.

Stultus Maximus posted:

America the Beautiful is the superior national anthem.

Not a chance but even if so Solidarity Forever is a better tune than even that

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

loving Jones, that guy just needs to stroke on out beet juice dick pills already. He's just being an attention economy remora latching himself on to any story he can find like usual, dude's getting super desperate lately. Listening to him come apart at the seams on Knowledge Fight has been a balm to my soul. 50/50 at any point on air whether he's totally sloshed or riding the uppers train, and if he's not the episode is usually a spiral into rage or depression if he bothers to make it on air at all.

Couldn't happen to a nicer rear end in a top hat.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Are we even sure Alex Jones has waited for the end times to eat people, has anyone checked his freezer

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Well there's one less thing now
Just you wait for the Francis Scott Key Bridge Memorial Bridge that will take its place!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Looks like the ship went dark twice before hitting the structure.

Go to around the 122 local timestamp here.

https://youtube.com/live/83a7h3kkgPg?feature=shared

First time is EDG coming on, thats just emergency lighting. Lots of smoke coming from stack so either they tried to back down or lit off another DG. Wonder if they lost power the second time trying to switch back from emergency to main.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Yeah, that's a total loss.

Reminds me a lot of the Sunshine Skyway bridge across Tampa Bay in Florida, the original bridge was destroyed by a freighter colliding with it in 1980, leading to the construction of a new, much sturdier bridge across the bay.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Do bollards for boats exist? How much concrete and steel sunk into the port seabed would it take to stop a cargo ship drifting without power?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do bollards for boats exist? How much concrete and steel sunk into the port seabed would it take to stop a cargo ship drifting without power?

I'm not sure how this would work but you would also need magical lines to go along with your magical bollards.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I'm sure you could build something like that but would there be a risk of it sinking after hitting one? I guess if it was high enough it might impact far above the waterline

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

more than this

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

How do you even trust an engineering evaluation of the remaining structure? Even if it didn't collapse it still took a massive load in a direction it was totally unprepared for (excellent phrasing)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cythereal posted:

Yeah, that's a total loss.

gently caress me. Thank goodness it happened in the middle of the night and not rush hour.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My friends wife is a civil engineer and she's been getting texts all morning asking "why don't they design the pier to withstand container ship impacts?". Her answer is that then the bridge would be a dam.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress me. Thank goodness it happened in the middle of the night and not rush hour.

There was also a factor, which explains why I saw all that traffic suddenly stopping in the video:

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1772629372421238927?t=Cmhwv72bTsl_4c06CBMR3w&s=19

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Any confirmation on body recoveries or actual rescues yet?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

My friends wife is a civil engineer and she's been getting texts all morning asking "why don't they design the pier to withstand container ship impacts?". Her answer is that then the bridge would be a dam.

Let's test it on the Kerch

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://www.fox5dc.com/news/francis-scott-key-bridge-baltimore-collapse

I saw 2 rescues and 7 missing in another headline, but couldn't find it scrolling back

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Pine Cone Jones posted:

CNN had a presser that said two rescued, six missing.

bad_fmr posted:

Sshhhiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettt

I'm having trouble finding the clip where McNulty trolls Rawls and Landsman by pinning the murders on their side of the bridge.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

There was also a factor, which explains why I saw all that traffic suddenly stopping in the video:

https://twitter.com/betsy_klein/status/1772629372421238927?t=Cmhwv72bTsl_4c06CBMR3w&s=19

Well drat, someone got to go home knowing they saved a lot of lives.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

The bridge was built in 1977. Design standards have changed quite considerably especially after 9/11.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm having trouble finding the clip where McNulty trolls Rawls and Landsman by pinning the murders on their side of the bridge.

Here's the whole drat thing:

https://youtu.be/K0t98Dod98g?si=IXkyv1OdsrfvooBO

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

How do you even trust an engineering evaluation of the remaining structure? Even if it didn't collapse it still took a massive load in a direction it was totally unprepared for (excellent phrasing)

If you had any idea of the amount of poo poo we over-design for it would blow your mind.

CBJSprague24 posted:

Honestly one of my favorite Wire moments.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 26, 2024

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The prince of tides

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Amazing that they were able to get two survivors so far, that's a hell of a distance to drop.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Amazing that they were able to get two survivors so far, that's a hell of a distance to drop.

That's two more than I expected they'd find.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Two survivors getting rescued in time and the emergency response being fast enough to prevent additional vehicles on the bridge are both reminders that people make a difference and I shouldn't be as cynical all the time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Hannibal Rex posted:

Two survivors getting rescued in time and the emergency response being fast enough to prevent additional vehicles on the bridge are both reminders that people make a difference and I shouldn't be as cynical all the time.

:same:

Also :lol: but :wtf:
https://twitter.com/MolotovFlicker/status/1772531869155770480/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1772531869155770480&currentTweetUser=MolotovFlicker

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

The bridge was built in 1977. Design standards have changed quite considerably especially after 9/11.

Vessels have changed significantly. The Dali is only 10000 TEUs but its hard to get a good perspective with how big everything is now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

It’s my right to drive out onto a potentially unstable bridge during rescue operations so that I can get a tiktok clip

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Soylent Pudding posted:

But based on the pictures, it looks like it did stop the boat. Obviously with the bridge suffering catastrophic damage in the process, but then wouldn't a row of concrete supports/cables in front of the non-passable parts of a bridge prevent this sort of accident? Then again, not like this sort of thing happens on a regular basis and that wouldn't be cheap to install.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

First time is EDG coming on, thats just emergency lighting. Lots of smoke coming from stack so either they tried to back down or lit off another DG. Wonder if they lost power the second time trying to switch back from emergency to main.

It's also possible that they were trying anything they could think of to restore steerage. In that kind of emergency I would.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

But based on the pictures, it looks like it did stop the boat. Obviously with the bridge suffering catastrophic damage in the process, but then wouldn't a row of concrete supports/cables in front of the non-passable parts of a bridge prevent this sort of accident? Then again, not like this sort of thing happens on a regular basis and that wouldn't be cheap to install.

No. That's the short answer.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's two issues with anything that could arrest the momentum of a drifting container ship. 1. It be big. 2. The bigger it is, the more there is to hit, making it even harder to pass the bridge. A lot of ships need to pass, which turns this into a statistics game.

The ship safety option is to build it taller with much longer spans making as wide a channel as possible underneath. That, is a whole different order of problems and maintenance and cost

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's also possible that they were trying anything they could think of to restore steerage. In that kind of emergency I would.

Given assumptions would be they have done at least the minimum to conform to IMO which means EDG tested on load that month, both steering units tested for operation within 12 hours of sailing, EDG automatic transfer tested. Once the EDG came on they should have steering on at least one unit and propulsion using one set of pumps.

I've never recovered from a blackout like that or tried to maneuver on the E Bus so I have no idea how seamless that would work. They would have rudder control once the lights come on but without propulsion they will lose it. Fuel, LO, JW pumps should all come on with e power, they should have more than enough air for 1 start. So it would be more about getting the engine to roll which mostly means clearing the automation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah. We're all just guessing. I think we can both agree that it's the nightmare scenario we've all dreaded many a time.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

https://twitter.com/justin_fenton/status/1772668088703418610?t=-5K_vZdMNokQelX0FSvXBQ&s=19

Honestly, I hope they pull it off.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah noone practices something like that. Its hard enough to get just basic engine side training. They are right on top of the bridge already and had like <5 minutes to correct. Clearing all the alarms they would get would take longer than that. Just EDG coming on is 30 secs.

They would need a steering unit, x-head LO, MELO, diesel pump, HT/LT JW, and an aux blower to do it correctly but also should be able to cancel permissives and run just diesel. Should start as long as they have fuel pressure. I would struggle to get a start in under 5 minutes in those conditions if I wasn't familiar with the automation. gently caress that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/John_A_Ridge/status/1769054814841815449?t=KTQ2rG9yJj7M4cELNGPDxw&s=19

Maybe DoD should look into the CEOs statements on X: The Everything App(TM)

They know, and everybody sighs and rolls their eyes because there aren't any better options.