Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, I'm not surprised but it's still a huge bummer

"a huge bummer" for someone to be loving around with a novelty tool, apparently using their own artworks?

(this did not deserve to be the top of a page, oh god, please let this not start a slapfight)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

"a huge bummer" for someone to be loving around with a novelty tool, apparently using their own artworks?

:blastu:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

decided to start reading Chainsaw man again.
stopped at the end of the "part 1" like chapter 100 or whatever.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Brutal Garcon posted:

(this did not deserve to be the top of a page, oh god, please let this not start a slapfight)

i simply would not go to bat the for Rent-a-Girlfriend mangaka in any capacity

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would be very hard to train a model on the work of a single artist, since it wouldn't give it enough data to consistently provide good results.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

literally any involvement with AI image generation in any capacity is the death of human soul.

and the ai he used was undoubtedly trained on other people's art, he just plugged his own images into it also.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

really can't wait until this generative AI bubble fuckin pops violently

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
why would it pop? it's only going to improve with time.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Which is why more artists need to use those glazing tools to poison algorithms with garbage data.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

None of the companies are making any money, most proposed use cases don't make any practical sense and companies are struggling to find places to use them, and everyone rational hates that poo poo

It's also my belief that we're nearing the top of the S-curve on the technology, but I could be wrong

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

not if i have anything to say about it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

people keep saying this and thats not really how it works. improve at what? you can already make fairly convincing images with AI. the limitations that exist now are largely a function of what it is, not what it can do.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

AI art is a cardinal sin

sacrifice your title of artist

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Arist posted:

None of the companies are making any money, most proposed use cases don't make any practical sense and companies are struggling to find places to use them, and everyone rational hates that poo poo

It's also my belief that we're nearing the top of the S-curve on the technology, but I could be wrong

It'll be the new "real-world photo with a bad filter over the top" for the backgrounds of extremely low-budget anime.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

all these ai companies are running at massive deficets and saying they need to put nuclear reactors in their data centers to power them. you literally can't make money in ai. at least crypto and VR and metaverse poo poo there was, theortherical money to be made

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The core issue with the technology (outside of every ethical concern, natch) is that it is, fundamentally, incapable of understanding what it's actually doing. It will maybe get better at drawing a hand, but it will never understand what a hand actually is, and so it will continue to make mistakes no human would ever make. This is, legitimately, an unfixable problem. You would need to make an actual AI to rectify that, and that's probably impossible, while it's definitely impossible to turn what they are now into a real AI, because all they are is fancy prediction algorithms.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

if he trained it himself i'd presume he's using a stable diffusion model and then adding a lora on top of it. most of the sd models i know of are made by scraping millions/billions of pictures with existing tagging, and a lora just tweaks those models by adding in a few hundred pictures with character name/art style/trait tags so the model knows if you type in "suwon rent-a-girlfriend guy" you get that girl

he probably had to generate hundreds of pictures to get something that looked as good as it did and it still looks like her ear is getting ripped off and the light source is crazy. lol

Arc Hammer posted:

Which is why more artists need to use those glazing tools to poison algorithms with garbage data.

honestly i hosed with nightshade recently and i don't think it's doing much but it absolutely makes your art look worse

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Brutal Garcon posted:

It'll be the new "real-world photo with a bad filter over the top" for the backgrounds of extremely low-budget anime.

But why improve on perfection?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-wKHLq-w8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Brutal Garcon posted:

why would it? real world photo with a bad filter over the top is both cheaper and also is like, an actual marketing angle. pretty much any anime that does that and actually gets popular gets fans doing tourism to the places they took photos of. you can set up little popup shops in the area. its free money. why would you put in more work to lose a marketing angle.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Are Japanese fans of his equally pissed? I sure hope so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Meowywitch posted:

Are Japanese fans of his equally pissed? I sure hope so
i mean there's jp replies making fun of him but jp fans usually dont get as worked up on twitter in general

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

all these ai companies are running at massive deficets and saying they need to put nuclear reactors in their data centers to power them. you literally can't make money in ai. at least crypto and VR and metaverse poo poo there was, theortherical money to be made

More broadly many of the proposed applications for AI might not be scalable, but for images once the model is done, the actual generation isn’t very expensive (unlike the research and training), no?

Arist posted:

The core issue with the technology (outside of every ethical concern, natch) is that it is, fundamentally, incapable of understanding what it's actually doing. It will maybe get better at drawing a hand, but it will never understand what a hand actually is, and so it will continue to make mistakes no human would ever make. This is, legitimately, an unfixable problem. You would need to make an actual AI to rectify that, and that's probably impossible, while it's definitely impossible to turn what they are now into a real AI, because all they are is fancy prediction algorithms.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. The fact that it sometimes makes mistakes doesn’t seem like a big issue. You just wouldn’t use the bad outputs.

Endorph posted:

people keep saying this and thats not really how it works. improve at what? you can already make fairly convincing images with AI. the limitations that exist now are largely a function of what it is, not what it can do.

Overall quality and making it harder to distinguish from the real thing, but also better tools for getting what you want. Like how consistency is an issue atm. You can’t really make a comic because the characters will not so subtly shift between frames because it’s making a new version each time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you use AI you deserve to be blown to bits by powerful ki blasts. And that's obvious.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Overall quality and making it harder to distinguish from the real thing, but also better tools for getting what you want. Like how consistency is an issue atm. You can’t really make a comic because the characters will not so subtly shift between frames because it’s making a new version each time.
yeah, but again, i dont see how you fit that. an ai is incapable of understanding what it produced before. any attempt at introducing that consistency will either move too much or too little.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rinkles posted:

I’m not sure what you mean by this. The fact that it sometimes makes mistakes doesn’t seem like a big issue. You just wouldn’t use the bad outputs.

I really don't mean to be rude but that you're saying this means you clearly haven't thought about this at all or done any research. For starters, in certain non-artistic fields that this technology is desperately trying to break into, it's often unclear what a "bad output" is, and even if it is obvious, there's situations where no one can do anything about those bad outputs. People are trying to push AI to replace customer support representatives and even loving suicide hotlines.

The issue of "hallucinations," of generative AI just straight-up lying, is unsolvable. The solution is not to use it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

simply dont use the bad suicide advice bing bong so simple

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

yeah, but again, i dont see how you fit that. an ai is incapable of understanding what it produced before. any attempt at introducing that consistency will either move too much or too little.

Maybe, i don’t understand the inner workings enough to say one way or the other. It just feels to me like we’re still at the infant stage of the technology. Sora was jaw dropping.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

simply dont use the bad suicide advice bing bong so simple

When I originally saw that anecdote I saw a bunch of people posting "yeah I called this hotline and the computer told me to kill myself and I was so enraged/confused that it temporarily relieved my ideation," lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sora is only jaw dropping if you're blind

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rinkles posted:

because the midjourney chucklefucks were brilliant enough to keep their list of artists to steal from in a public google doc titled "list of artists to steal from" and someone found it easily

now, the question is hopefully will they get sued into oblivion

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

I really don't mean to be rude but that you're saying this means you clearly haven't thought about this at all or done any research. For starters, in certain non-artistic fields that this technology is desperately trying to break into, it's often unclear what a "bad output" is, and even if it is obvious, there's situations where no one can do anything about those bad outputs. People are trying to push AI to replace customer support representatives and even loving suicide hotlines.

The issue of "hallucinations," of generative AI just straight-up lying, is unsolvable. The solution is not to use it.

Thought we were talking about image generation, but I see you didn’t actually specify that in your original post.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

sora is only jaw dropping if you're blind

Funny how quickly we become nonchalant about tech that was unimaginable not long go.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Maybe, i don’t understand the inner workings enough to say one way or the other. It just feels to me like we’re still at the infant stage of the technology. Sora was jaw dropping.
sora looks like dog poo poo as soon as you try to get it to actually make anything beyond 15 seconds of b-roll or a bad photoshop filter over existing footage.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Brutal Garcon posted:

*slaps u*

Checkmate

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ebay has some automatic AI description thing and I went to sell a sealed box of magic cards and clicked the AI description thing to see what it would do and it made a description very specifically saying I was selling a single magic card. like, it enunciated that part, that it was a single individual card, not a box of packs.

we live in the lame future where we all want to destroy AI but not because it's trying to exterminate humanity but because it's loving up google results trying to search for an anime character that I can't remember the name of but know the hair color of

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really understand how you can admit "they just won't use the bad outputs" when I said the technology will never overcome its own inability to understand reality, and then still say the technology is in its infancy. Like, those kind of contradict, don't they? The former is an acceptance that on some level it's a doomed enterprise that cannot improve itself in a fairly major way.

Virtually every error with AI generative art stems from that, from the computer not just not knowing what it's looking at, but not even really having eyes to see.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Funny how quickly we become nonchalant about tech that was unimaginable not long go.
every single one of those videos has some horrific inhuman poo poo hallucinated into it like every other ai product. also continuing to lol about them setting all of them in japan with the assumption that people wouldn't notice all the text everywhere being complete nonsense

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arist posted:

I don't really understand how you can admit "they just won't use the bad outputs" when I said the technology will never overcome its own inability to understand reality, and then still say the technology is in its infancy. Like, those kind of contradict, don't they? The former is an acceptance that on some level it's a doomed enterprise that cannot improve itself in a fairly major way.

I don't know what the actual limitations are. And the fact that it might have specific unavoidable weaknesses, doesn't mean it won't otherwise improve.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Less about AI images and more about the general trend but job hunting sucks so much right now because of how dumb it is. I'll apply for jobs and a few hours later get an automatically generated message saying that I'm a poor fit for the job because I don't have a bachelor's degree. The thing is, I have a master's degree but the AI is such dogwater that it considers it to be a fully separate concept from a regular ol bachelor's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I don't know what the actual limitations are. And the fact that it might have specific unavoidable weaknesses, doesn't mean it won't otherwise improve.
so you dont know anything about it, you don't understand any of the specific concepts its working with, you don't know a thing about any constraints, but it will improve Because, and it improving will lead to mass adoption Because. great talk thanks