Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

M_Gargantua posted:

He could do literally anything and it would probably do more than the Democrats plan just by virtue of being 100x more chaotic than whatever liberal “raise interest rates and praise job creators” the economists are smoking.

I don't think tanking interest rates back to 0 would be very good for inflation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

I think the best case scenario might look more like the Ravenel bridge in charleston, it was about 4 years from groundbreaking to opening day. 35W didn't have a shipping channel to work around either.

Agreed. A friend who lives in SC sent me a clip from a local news station, featuring the safety features of the Ravenel to defend itself from "high-level impacts" like what just happened in BWI. And constructed in four years. If Biden and Buttigieg aren't looking at that intently, they should be.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

orange juche posted:

Supposedly they did drop the port anchor as soon as the first loss of power happened, but the thing about anchors is they're not a dead stop, you have to pay out enough anchor chain to the bottom of the anchorage to arrest the ship, when you're talking about a heavy vessel, as the flukes will not stop a ship by itself, but dragging a shitload of heavy chain will help slow it down.

Unfortunately there just wasn't enough distance to pay enough chain to stop the ship, if it would have even been able to since they were moving at nearly 8.9kts when they dropped the anchor. More likely it would have just ripped the chain out of the locker if it hadn't hit the bridge.

The shipping company has already likely begun dissolving and reforming under a new, legally distinct entity lol, because maritime shipping go brrr. Nobody who was responsible for the (likely deferred) maintenance for the vessel is going to face any repercussions.

(for the record, it likely was not the crew who was responsible for any maintenance getting deferred, often the crew and inspectors will highlight maintenance concerns and whoever actually owns the ship will put them off because downtime threatens profitablity, crew is probably hosed because the ship is absolutely going to be seized for the duration of the investigation, if it's even seaworthy after they get the bridge off it, and the vessel owner is more liable to abandon the vessel than face legal troubles with recovering the vessel or assets.)

The comedy option which may happen is the owners declare 'general average' which means something like all the various people who had connexs on the ship will be liable for the costs. So your connex full of sex-arses just got very expensive indeed !

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
So some Texas border comedy: their dumbshit SB4 preempting federal law is basically on permanent hold again.

District judge originally halted SB4, then the 5th Circuit overturned the ruling for no discernible reason with a stay. Feds went to the supreme court, supreme court lifted the stay (halting SB4 again). The supreme court then ruled, re-instating the stay (SB4 goes into effect again) but also yelled at the 5th circuit to move their rear end. 5th circuit just moved their rear end, 2-1 in favor of the feds, so now the law is on hold again.

I also bring this up because the Supreme Court had their abortion pill hearing yesterday on mifepristone. You likely didn't hear much about it because it's pretty clear it'll be a 7-2 decision dumpstering the whole deal on standing issues. Turns out, rando doctors that don't even prescribe the pills can't even prove they're harmed. SC is pissed at the 5th circuit for loving things up with nationwide injunctions without doing the ground work first.

So Alito/Thomas in their dissent are likely going to go "Comstock Act is still law of the land therefore all abortions banned btw the state should bring this not randos". And then we'll all be back here again when Texas sues because every sperm is sacred. Woo!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Gorsuch is mad af about district court judges issuing nationwide injunctions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

facialimpediment posted:

So some Texas border comedy: their dumbshit SB4 preempting federal law is basically on permanent hold again.

District judge originally halted SB4, then the 5th Circuit overturned the ruling for no discernible reason with a stay. Feds went to the supreme court, supreme court lifted the stay (halting SB4 again). The supreme court then ruled, re-instating the stay (SB4 goes into effect again) but also yelled at the 5th circuit to move their rear end. 5th circuit just moved their rear end, 2-1 in favor of the feds, so now the law is on hold again.

I also bring this up because the Supreme Court had their abortion pill hearing yesterday on mifepristone. You likely didn't hear much about it because it's pretty clear it'll be a 7-2 decision dumpstering the whole deal on standing issues. Turns out, rando doctors that don't even prescribe the pills can't even prove they're harmed. SC is pissed at the 5th circuit for loving things up with nationwide injunctions without doing the ground work first.

So Alito/Thomas in their dissent are likely going to go "Comstock Act is still law of the land therefore all abortions banned btw the state should bring this not randos". And then we'll all be back here again when Texas sues because every sperm is sacred. Woo!

If every sperm is sacred who do I mail my sock?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

:lol: That's loving rich. Maybe he should look around at his fellow travelers and figure out why they keep doing these stunts if that's the line he wants to put out publicly. I'd have more respect for him if he'd just say he's mad they're not being quiet enough about working on the same goals he has. That would be refreshing honesty in his evil at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

I assumed they'd do the thing where they set it up for t he next one to be correct. As a bonus it would push it past the election.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

I assumed they'd do the thing where they set it up for t he next one to be correct. As a bonus it would push it past the election.

Yep, that appears to be the 6's plan - "do this with better standing and here are the organizations that would have standing".

Kacsmaryk (district judge) is a true believer though, so he could easily get another lawsuit and do another national injunction. 5th circuit got really, really mad about potentially having all of those civil cases seeking national injunctions randomly assigned instead of sent to single-judge districts.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Baconroll posted:

The comedy option which may happen is the owners declare 'general average' which means something like all the various people who had connexs on the ship will be liable for the costs. So your connex full of sex-arses just got very expensive indeed !

Hitting the bridge is particular average so it’s not subject to general average. Removing the bridge from the ship, towing it back to port and unloading it may be general average, although Maersk may swallow the cost out of concern for goodwill (or they may be the only cargo party to the GA depending on how the charter is written, container ships can be weird)

The company that owns the ship does not show the usual red flags for shell corps (they own multiple ships, they have an actual address) so it’s unlikely they will dissolve over this. Limitations of liability will kick in, however. I don’t expect the ship to be a write off, so who knows what they’ll do with it. It’ll be seized for a while.

The ship’s inspection history doesn’t have any red flags. Yeah she hit a dock in 2016 or whatever, that happens, probably completely unrelated to the current accident.

Boat blacked out. Don’t know why yet. Not supposed to happen, but it happens sometimes and in this case it happened at the worst possible moment.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Big Blue doesn't gently caress around with anyone too shady, they don't need to and they aren't dumb. They also have a very good maintenance program and engineering department although I'm not sure how much support a charter would get. They wouldn't be interested if the metrics were bad though, they are very numbers oriented.

They will absolutely blow up aux blowers and pay 10-20k to change them out to keep fuel costs down so they make very good, numbers driven decisions.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Yeah this is the big league, think a British Airways A380.

(I originally typed United 777 but lol)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

FrozenVent posted:

The ship’s inspection history doesn’t have any red flags.

you sure? there's this prior post in thread

orange juche posted:

lmao MV Dali had already had been cited by inspectors for maintenance issues related to "Propulsion and auxilliary equipment" in past inspections, aaaand nothing came of it of course. The inspection hit was for an issues with "Gauges, thermometers, etc." but who knows which gauges were messed up since it wasn't in the report.

but I don't see the source for the info

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

pmchem posted:

you sure? there's this prior post in thread

but I don't see the source for the info

One data point that is basically irrelevant, it was cleared next port call. Its like assuming that steak you ate a year ago caused a stroke maybe.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

lightpole posted:

One data point that is basically irrelevant, it was cleared next port call. Its like assuming that steak you ate a year ago caused a stroke maybe.

i'm just trying to learn here, i'm unfamiliar with actions required (as opposed to recommended) after inspections for big boats, given that nothing is US flagged or manned. or even where you publicly find that inspection info

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Surely this will be the time it matters!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

fknlo posted:

Surely this will be the time it matters!

Was that even 24 hours?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
None of that violates the gag order.

He can attack the DA, the judge, and the judge's daughter. They're not covered by the gag order - DA is a public figure, judge is a public figure, and daughter isn't covered in the order.

It covers: potential witnesses, attorneys, court staff or the family members of prosecutors or lawyers, or any potential or actual juror.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

None of that violates the gag order.

He can attack the DA, the judge, and the judge's daughter. They're not covered by the gag order - DA is a public figure, judge is a public figure, and daughter isn't covered in the order.

It covers: potential witnesses, attorneys, court staff or the family members of prosecutors or lawyers, or any potential or actual juror.

just loving :lol: that the judge's daughter isn't covered.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Not enough all caps and a little too coherent, I'm calling fake news

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

pmchem posted:

i'm just trying to learn here, i'm unfamiliar with actions required (as opposed to recommended) after inspections for big boats, given that nothing is US flagged or manned. or even where you publicly find that inspection info

US has around 160 flagged vessels still.

Any vessel entering port is subject to port state. This is the USCG in the US. They can come on board and basically look at whatever they want, from maintenance records to crew pay to environmental records to rest hours. If they want to find something, they will find something. That record could just be an inspector in a bad mood seeing a broken gage in a very obvious spot. If you receive an 835 then you usually have to clear it within x time period, showing you've fixed the problem. This doesn't have to be in the US.

Port state doesn't necessarily have the expertise to understand what they are seeing or properly interpret IMO regulations either, and there's always a language barrier. They frequently offload that to the vetters like ABS, Lloyd's, or SV depending on what they find as well. Depending on the finding and severity, the inspector might require you to clear it by the next port, allow you to make a full trip and clear it next time you're back in country, or do something like issue a no sail and prevent you from moving the vessel until conditions are fulfilled.

This item sounds like a very minor item and there's no real track record of the vessel experiencing major failures or delayed/no sail. It very well could be maintenance failures but we using this one item we can't really make any assumptions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

just loving :lol: that the judge's daughter isn't covered.

It makes sense. She's a democratic consultant. Donnie already tried to toss the judge because she posted a photoshopped Donnie picture behind bars. The judge denied it because he didn't think there was a conflict, but also verified that there was no conflict by letter of the law when he requested an opinion from the ethics committee:

https://twitter.com/KlasfeldReports/status/1772688157990858833?t=tuFE0oD1INCFGlPU8W7hfA&s=19

Typical poo poo really - Republican judges are just like LOL I'M HORRIFICALLY BIASED GO gently caress YOURSELF as democratic judges bend over backwards to allow the special boy special rules that would've got anyone else tossed in jail for contempt.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Nice! posted:

It’s what happens when the courts become a super legislature.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Crossposting an informative post from the OSHA thread on the bridge and protections thereof.

kreeningsons posted:

i did some quick loving around calculations at work but for energy absorbed, which based on my loving around research is the main way these bridge dolphins/protections systems are rated.

the sunshine skyway bridge in florida has a protection system rated for a hit from a 87,000 ton ship at 10 knots.

the ship that hit the key bridge in baltimore was reportedly 117,000 tons and traveling at 8 knots.

calculating the kinetic energy of each, the ship in baltimore had 86% of the kinetic energy as the skyway bridge protection system was rated for.

so it does seem like a protection system can withstand a direct hit from a ship this size. but key point, it has to be direct hit, not oblique like in baltimore, which looks like the ship dodged any protection system in place. this seems to be the place on the forums that this accident is getting the most technical discussion, so if any nerds know more about these systems than i do (basically just what i could learn today) then please correct me.

So it looks like it actually might be possible to protect against direct strikes, but basically everything that could have gone wrong at Baltimore did.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1773098902272573471?t=11krTLYWniYza_k6F6AqWw&s=19

Rest in Hell you motherfucker

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Gr0pKI-eeg

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I think that qualifies for a rip bozo

so rip bozo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

striking down public healthcare with the angels now

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
gently caress that guy

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

gently caress that guy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Declaring to run as an independent from the living

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

:laffo:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Good riddance. That gently caress is the reason we don't have Medicare for all.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

:stonklol:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Milo and POTUS posted:

:dudsmile:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Milo and POTUS posted:

:golfclap:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Remember when the single most important problem in America was children playing video games? gently caress that guy.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
He'd better get to reprise this in the next season of Hazbin Hotel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
One of Donnie's lawyers is no longer a lawyer in 3 days.

https://twitter.com/meghanncuniff/status/1773126505503035658?t=b5wFXWGz-N2ljTp2V-HzvQ&s=19

Eastman basically created the J6 strategy of pressuring Pence and fake elector certificates. In three days he can't practice law, then likely gets disbarred when the court panel agrees with the judge.