Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Wait, they're trying to avoid being the worst team in the cap era? News to me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Jamwad Hilder posted:

At least the Red Wings were able to pick first overall that year!

it was miserable at the time but honestly it worked out for the best. though 2nd/3rd for Stutzle is obviously the best case scenario there

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I am always surprised that while the Leafs were bad when they weren't making the playoffs, they weren't as bad as I remember. So, if I suffered through some truly terrible seasons that aren't as bad as the Sharks or Red Wings, I can't even imagine how much that would suck.

Like, absolute bottom of the barrel in my memory were the 09-10 Leafs, and that is only slightly worse than the Coyotes this season.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The 03-04 Pens were the worst iteration of the Pens that I personally watched. Iirc they had a 17 game losing streak? They were truly horrific. I remember going on a trip to New York/New Jersey and seeing them play the Devils and I wanna say they lost like 10-2 or something like that. Of course the Devils were at the height of their powers back then and the Pens....weren't.

There absolutely were worse Penguins teams than that (83-84) but I wasn't born yet for that one so didn't get to enjoy the Mario tank.

e: I think this was the game https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200403170NJD.html. I guess they only lost 6-1 but I remember it feeling worse than that. Lmao at the roster they had in that game.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 30, 2024

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Like, absolute bottom of the barrel in my memory were the 09-10 Leafs, and that is only slightly worse than the Coyotes this season.

Re-reading this, I should give some more context. Technically, the Leafs before getting Matthews were worse, but the 09-10 was the team that infamously traded their 1st round pick for Kessel, so there wasn't even the fun of the losing for the 1st overall. The pipeline was dog poo poo because while they had been missing the playoffs, they had been trading picks, as well as not being bad enough to draft really high. They also opened the season 3-11-5, and it was just a terrible time. At least the 14-15 Leafs were fully committed to the rebuild.

Ginette Reno posted:

The 03-04 Pens were the worst iteration of the Pens that I personally watched. Iirc they had a 17 game losing streak? They were truly horrific. I remember going on a trip to New York/New Jersey and seeing them play the Devils and I wanna say they lost like 10-2 or something like that. Of course the Devils were at the height of their powers back then and the Pens....weren't.

There absolutely were worse Penguins teams than that (83-84) but I wasn't born yet for that one so didn't get to enjoy the Mario tank.

e: I think this was the game https://www.hockey-reference.com/boxscores/200403170NJD.html. I guess they only lost 6-1 but I remember it feeling worse than that. Lmao at the roster they had in that game.

I think if your team is led in points by a defenseman who finished his career with ~300 games played, it is an absolutely painful season.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

New Jersey getting absolutely crushed when they desperately needed a win to keep their playoff hopes alive? You love to see it!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

New Jersey getting absolutely crushed when they desperately needed a win to keep their playoff hopes alive? You love to see it!

:discourse:

Mr. Kite
Aug 28, 2004

SHUT UP AND PLAY HOCKEY
The Devils are a glorified ice crew.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I have an autographed jersey with 3/4 of the worst team to ever play hockey in the cap era. Really only Dylan Larkin is worth mentioning now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

This had me go back and look at the 19-20 Red Wings. I know +/- means nothing, but how the hell did Athanasiou get a -45 in 46 games? That's impressive.

Hope you got his autograph.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Twin Cinema posted:

This had me go back and look at the 19-20 Red Wings. I know +/- means nothing, but how the hell did Athanasiou get a -45 in 46 games? That's impressive.

Hope you got his autograph.

Same way Connor Bedard is a -39 after 59 games. By not playing defense?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://x.com/NHLPlayerSafety/status/1773845874335969506?s=20

Seems fair. You just can't slash people from the bench

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jhet posted:

Same way Connor Bedard is a -39 after 59 games. By not playing defense?

It was rhetorical, but Bedard's is still a far way aways from hitting the NPG (negative per game) mark.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Got curious enough to look it up, Crosby as an 18 year old rookie was a +2 on an absolutely terrible Penguins team that finished one (1) point off of worst in the league. Ovechkin was +1 on the only slightly better Caps.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

It was rhetorical, but Bedard's is still a far way aways from hitting the NPG (negative per game) mark.

Bedard is also a teenager who is far and away the most talented player on his team, and said team has poor goaltending and defense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McDavid was also -1 on an Oilers team that finished second last in the NHL that year.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Are you saying +/- isn't a useful stat? That's not what Don Cherry said.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Ovechkin is +49 for his career. He's going to end up near 0 by the time he catches Gretzky.

This is of course because 38% of Ovechkin's goals have been on the power play, which is waaaaaay higher a percentage than anyone else in his galaxy. Crosby's at 29% and even that's significantly higher than most other superstars. Matthews is at 25%, McDavid is at 23%. Some of that is era effects, of course: it was a lot harder to score 5-v-5 in 2006-2015 than it has been since.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 30, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

is there a single player who finished every season in the +

e: of course, bobby orr.

e: Nik Lindstrom only finished one season negative, at -2,

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 30, 2024

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Powershift posted:

Yeah. Larry Robinson did, for instance

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powershift posted:

There’s a bunch.

Larry Robinson is one. Rafalski also has no negatives, but does have a +/-0 season.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bobby Orr.

Nicklas Lidstrom was a -2 in his age 40 season, or he'd have pulled it off in a career more than twice as long as Orr's.

Only a defenseman could pull that feat off, I imagine. Forwards inevitably stop playing defense when they get old and stop being valuable 5-v-5 players. Crosby, notably, was a -1 as a rookie on the worst team in the league, and a -8 in the covid half-year at age 32, every season positive otherwise. That's about as well as a forward can do: be a great player on consistently great teams and age gracefully. He will very likely start the -15s next year.

e: DAMMIT guys!

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 30, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brent Burns after 1,407 games is at 0 career. He's also averaging 0 over his last 5 so he might finish there.

Dave Babych over 1195 games ended at -216. He had 3 positive seasons out of 19 at +2, +2, +6

Powershift fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Mar 30, 2024

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Forsberg would've done it if not for his 2 game comeback in 2010-11 where he finished -4.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jeff Schultz once had a season where his +/- was 50. He never had above +6 again after that, and was out of the league like 4 years later, he's definitely the biggest outlier for +/-

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Some of that is era effects, of course: it was a lot harder to score 5-v-5 in 2006-2015 than it has been since.

What changed in 2015 that balanced the game towards offense more?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Connor McDavid

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Wonderllama posted:

i demand to see RAS bookshelf that led them to the trouba/rempe canonization posting energy

reading is for intellectuals. you can see my VHSes and signed Soup Nazi ladle:

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Cocaine Bear posted:

More to the point, Dallas is the perfect team to bandwagon. Hard to hate unless you're like a Minnesota fan but they don't count (sorry Jhet and.. uh.. the other one). Good mix of wily old vets (who doesn't love pavelski?), exciting young stars, and they score lots of goals. Outside of maybe hakkenpaa and, if you're a Stars fan already, Suter, no notable players to hate. They aren't based in Canada and they've got the best 3rds in the league (Tron). So when your team gets to boot, come cheer with us!

Stanky.

Dallas is super easy to hate, have you not heard of Benn?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

big mean giraffe posted:

Dallas is super easy to hate, have you not heard of Benn?

Jamie Benn owns

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

reading is for intellectuals. you can see my VHSes and signed Soup Nazi ladle:

*puts BOXC’s sex tape into NYR vs NYI Hockey Fights sleeve*

canneye bawrruh this?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uhhh, here’s a thing.

https://youtu.be/VsWV3919OKw?si=gBhIEElSpKS5Pxhv

:psyduck:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Oops

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Jamie Benn owns

I agree. He’s an A tier rat. Love to hate him.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

He put my captain in a neck brace for two months so actually I just regular hate him

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/ProducerDrew_/status/1774199083877437507?t=KnXBRq6xdtFNar4igbaE3g&s=19

I still don't get why you'd risk this

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Minnesota's out of it, it can only improve their draft position

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

WHY WOULD YOU DO IT AGAIN!! I AM SO ANNOYED!!

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
They need the 2 points from Vegas to have any hope of catching them in the playoff race. Makes sense, play to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pens going to go on a too little too late, late season winning streak to make the aaaahahahahahhahahahahahaahahaha god the last 2 teams are going to be embarrassing.

It's Jeff Rimer retirement ceremony night in Columbus if you'd like to be generous with getting the embarrassing losses started early.