Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i hope if yamato doesnt come back then i would like a spinoff, please. spinoffs are good. the people like spinoffs.

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I can't wait for the anime only filler arc where the Straw Hats have to fight Baido, Kaido's long lost cousin who looks basically the same except he's green

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Augus posted:

I wonder how far the plan is to go with The One Piece, if they’re just gonna remake up to a certain point or are gonna keep on going, and if they’re gonna be 100% faithful to the manga or put their own spin on it or take cues from Toei or what. Like with how much amazing work was done in Wano and Egghead it’d be kinda sad to see that all supplanted by another version

i think they'll try to do the whole thing because why wouldn't they? it'll keep one piece alive for a fair while after the manga is finished, and it's not like the anime versions of recent arcs haven't still been bloated, even though they've been putting more effort in than they used to

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
first, the “well-paced” early arcs of the anime are also stuffed full of lingering shots, drawn-out dialogue and needless additional reactions. it can be vastly improved, especially by studio wit, who have acquitted themselves of any lingering doubts i may have had with spy x family.

second, the recent stuff in the anime is really, really incredible (except when it’s not.) but by the time “The One Piece” reaches wano it will probably have been a decade or more and i want to see how the animators of the future handle it, especially with knowledge of future events. i dont see any downside to studio wit’s adaptation at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, hell, even a lot of the older stuff will be given the benefit of hindsight

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait to see the rectification of past errors, and get a whole episode of Zeff making gourmet survival dishes out of his leg.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Is Luffy gonna rename all of his attacks when he finds out he ate the Sun God fruit

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Meowywitch posted:

Is Luffy gonna rename all of his attacks when he finds out he ate the Sun God fruit

this is the stupidest question youve asked so far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

scary ghost dog posted:

especially by studio wit, who have acquitted themselves of any lingering doubts i may have had with spy x family.

I didn't realize they were the ones doing the new show. Spy X Family's animation is great (and so is the show) so this is great news.

I wish Madhouse was doing the new season of One Punch Man :smith:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the Toei anime should have a 3 week filler of the fake strawhats fighting a Kaido that looks like the shadowy first draft kaido

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Baido is the dragon that ate the oni fruit and is pink

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
They gotta fit one more Foxy filler arc in before the end, certainly

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Did we talk about how luffy wrote "gomu" (56) on his bat instead of "nika" (29)?

Also in general is it accurate to say Luffy still believes he ate the Gomu fruit and doesnt know anything about nika or what is up with gear 5?

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Bonnie like 3 chapters ago was the first person to mention Nika to him directly and he had no idea what she was talking about.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No Wave posted:

Did we talk about how luffy wrote "gomu" (56) on his bat instead of "nika" (29)?

Also in general is it accurate to say Luffy still believes he ate the Gomu fruit and doesnt know anything about nika or what is up with gear 5?

The only time in the story the fruit was referred to as Hito-Hito Model Nika was the Elders talking to each other in their room. Luffy doesn't know and most people I think are referring to Luffy as Nika on a symbolic level.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Luffy wouldn't care or understand people trying to correct and insisting on the history of Nika and how important is awakening is anyway.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

The only time in the story the fruit was referred to as Hito-Hito Model Nika was the Elders talking to each other in their room. Luffy doesn't know and most people I think are referring to Luffy as Nika on a symbolic level.

yep even vegapunk just said there was no gomu gomu fruit, nobody other than the gorosei have actually identified it

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Luffy will no more give up saying that he's made of rubber than Brook will pass on a skull joke. It's preposterous to believe that he will budge on that and adopt the persona of a god. The most he might possibly do is accept that he is a mystery rubber man.

Dude won't even listen to his own backstory, and people are expecting him to get into some sort of cyclical history allegory. People will be calling him Nika, and he'll correct them that he's Luffy.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shanks lied to the Elders about there being a Nika fruit because he thought it would be funny

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Vegapunk just says that the big book of devil fruits didn’t have a rubber fruit. Kaku and Kalifa’s fruits were unknown, so it’s not unprecedented that there are fruits not in the book.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It's possible the CP9 powers were in the Encyclopedia and they just lacked illustrations of the actual fruit. It would be a lot easier to document powers (which would just require any random pirate to have eaten it and started using it at some point in history) than it would be to get all the illustrations together (which would probably require you to specifically get hold of the fruit and record what its effects were after eating it).

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

We don’t really know if the CP9/0 fruits were just unknown or entirely new since we don’t know where fruits come from yet.

I wonder if we’ll get any background on the encyclopedia and who compiled it.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

We don’t really know if the CP9/0 fruits were just unknown or entirely new since we don’t know where fruits come from yet.

It was boy joy, brother of joy boy.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

PuttyKnife posted:

It was boy joy, brother of joy boy.

Joy is, of course, short for George

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Wave posted:

He seems to be aware that Gear Fifth bestows freedom because “it’s when I’m freest” is how he describes it to Bonney at the start of the arc when she asks about it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

playing the new Pirate Warriors 4 DLC and goddamn they really made sure Roger lived up to his title as Pirate King lol. dude just turns the entire battle field into a blender.

if/when they make Pirate Warriors 5 I hope they tone down the amount of time you have to spend sitting around waiting for a backlog of mission dialogue to resolve between objectives. also they should put big news morgan in the game

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Only one week down? gently caress.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

Didn't Kaku say way back on Enies Lobby that you learn the name of the fruit when you gain its power? If Luffy called all his poo poo Gomu Gomu, then thats probably the name he learned.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

As far as I know Lucci said "you can figure out the name of the fruit when you use its power". This can be interpreted a lot of ways but at this point I dont think it means the official name pops into your head, it meant Kaku and Kalifa shouldnt waste energy speculating when it would obvious soon enough what they ate.

(This was mistranslated a lot as far as I can tell)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 1, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In a world as casually insane as One Piece, the idea that there is no fruit that turns you into a rubber man is absurd.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

You think the world government intentionally propagates the use of and knowledge of rubber worldwide just to help reinforce the cover story

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You think the world government intentionally propagates the use of and knowledge of rubber worldwide just to help reinforce the cover story

if they did that people would probably catch on a lot sooner that something's up with the gum gum fruit, rubber can't do all that poo poo!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Other than the smile fruits I don't get the impression that new ones ever just pop into existence, especially with them playing up the gum-gum fruit's absence as significant (otherwise you'd expect Vegapunk to say something like "oh well, guess it just started appearing in the last few years then"). My guess would be they've all been passed down since at least the Void Century

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

There’s new as in just freshly created and there’s new as in like, newly documented. Presumably if the only users of a certain fruit were in like, Wano historically, they wouldn’t be understood or documented as devil fruits unless encountered by an outsider. Assume the giraffe and soap fruits were more like that than actually brand new never before seen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

It's hard to say. I'm trying to think of fruits that are only possible with more modern technology but the ancient kingdom's technological sophistication makes that impossible. I'd thought it might be possible that the Nika fruit didn't actually exist until Luffy manifested it due to the legend propagating enough. But I'd need to reread a lot of dialogue to feel more strongly about it. I'd sort of assumed as everyone's legends and myths changed new fruits would be possible but maybe devil fruits are locked into the dreams of 1000 years ago.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Imagination based superpowers are the coolest and I'm surprised there are people that hate g5

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Meowywitch posted:

Imagination based superpowers are the coolest and I'm surprised there are people that hate g5

g5 is fun to watch the only real gripe with it was it felt kind of out of nowhere

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

anime was right posted:

g5 is fun to watch the only real gripe with it was it felt kind of out of nowhere

Eh. I'm glad he didn't drop more hints about it, as it tracks completely with what we've already seen. But we've also seen a guy with a dino power use that to torpedo his head, neck, and tail out of his torso. The whimsical nature of how Oda's handled powers was a nice disguise for the more weird of Luffy's "rubber" abilities.

I think of other fighting manga's and struggle to think of a neater power-up that actually changed fundamentally how someone fought and wasn't just more glowing / spikier hair / a bigger beam, etc. G5 fights have been so dang delightful.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

CatstropheWaitress posted:

seen a guy with a dino power use that to torpedo his head, neck, and tail out of his torso.

That’s how they actually hunted. You can’t prove otherwise. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Gear 5 is cool, it's Nika who sucks.