Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Kvlt! posted:

edit: honorable mention to that scene in the Driller Killer with the most disgusting pizza/food every put to film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Ju-On: The Grudge is the first movie that really terrified me as an adult. For me there was such an overwhelming feeling of dread in the entire movie that every scare hit me really hard. I was constantly on edge and then a ghost would pop up and it really freaked me out. I cannot even fully explain why, that movie just seems to be calculated specifically to freak me out.

Chip S. Challenge
Mar 20, 2024

Hint: You don't need the fire boots, but they could help later on.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Ju-On: The Grudge is the first movie that really terrified me as an adult. For me there was such an overwhelming feeling of dread in the entire movie that every scare hit me really hard. I was constantly on edge and then a ghost would pop up and it really freaked me out. I cannot even fully explain why

it’s because the series director had the curse & the curse 2 to practice building up suspense. he really honed it

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kvlt! posted:

the diner scene at the beggining of Mulholland Drive scared me pretty good, although I watched it long after release its probably the most recent example of a specific scene that really freaked me out. A bunch of horror MOVIES have scared me but its mostly religious horror, I think that'd be the most recently filmed individual scene that really freaked me out.

edit: honorable mention to that scene in the Driller Killer with the most disgusting pizza/food every put to film

Oh yeah, the diner scene is a great one, seriously feels like a nightmare.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

A bunch of horror MOVIES have scared me but its mostly religious horror

Honestly a very refreshing take to counterbalance the "I'm not religious so religious horror doesn't affect me" crowd.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The scenes in hell in Jigoku gave me a dread that basically nothing else in horror has, I felt awful for days (I loved it)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I went to go see that and it was sold out both times.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

that is in fact the worst pizza has ever looked in a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZG4T5wyNSQ

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
drat Leguizamo is a pro

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

he should do more horror. Quite enjoyed him in The Menu

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

drat Leguizamo is a pro

This reminds me that I've actually seen John Leguizamo eating a pizza in person many times.

He has a house a couple miles away so it's not strange to see him around and he likes the same place that I do where they do this caustically hot seafood pizza thing. He's just with his kids joking around and absolutely housing a 20" pie covered in chilis and calamari.

This has been my John Leguizamo pizza story. I hope you enjoyed it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I did thank you
I love that guy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I feel like I get really truly "got" by a horror about once a year, where it freaks me out so much that it interrupts my sleep for a couple of nights and I just feel vaguely ill. Nope's digestion scene, Skinamarink, and the finale to The Curse were the most recent ones. There's something really appealing about horror that unexpectedly goes too far and sort of violates your boundaries without your permission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve had that happen but I don’t find that fun as it does more negative harm then positive for me. Anxiety kinda hurts.

Last thing that did that was Rampage and it just bothered me way too much. Same with the end of the final prayer boarderlands. I’ll never watch the rest of the movie lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I feel like John Leguizamo should have been in more horrors. He's great at hamming it up and playing the Violator in Spawn should have been his launching point

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

he was in that devil elevator movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There's something really appealing about horror that unexpectedly goes too far and sort of violates your boundaries without your permission.

There's a quote from John Carpenter that always stuck with me from a doc called Nightmares in Red White and Blue. It's on Prime so I looked it up really quick.

"Audiences don't want something too horrible. It's not entertaining for them. They want to be entertained, they want to have a good time. They don't mind some of the characters on the screen getting bumped off, even in terrible ways, but you can cross a line when the audience will turn against you. And if you're a filmmaker, you can sometimes use that to your benefit by teasing the audience. The audience will say "God, are they gonna show me something I don't wanna see? I'm getting nervous now, this director, I don't trust this director, he may show me something that's going to really disturb me." If you can ever find that little niche it's great, because the audience then provides most of the action for you in their heads"

I think it summarizes pretty well the main way that horror films can get to me and what I'm feeling when they do. You need to make the audience think you're capable of anything, that they can't trust you to color within the usual lines.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh right, 9/11 with Charlie sheen

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Basebf555 posted:

There's a quote from John Carpenter that always stuck with me from a doc called Nightmares in Red White and Blue. It's on Prime so I looked it up really quick.

"Audiences don't want something too horrible. It's not entertaining for them. They want to be entertained, they want to have a good time. They don't mind some of the characters on the screen getting bumped off, even in terrible ways, but you can cross a line when the audience will turn against you. And if you're a filmmaker, you can sometimes use that to your benefit by teasing the audience. The audience will say "God, are they gonna show me something I don't wanna see? I'm getting nervous now, this director, I don't trust this director, he may show me something that's going to really disturb me." If you can ever find that little niche it's great, because the audience then provides most of the action for you in their heads"

I think it summarizes pretty well the main way that horror films can get to me and what I'm feeling when they do. You need to make the audience think you're capable of anything, that they can't trust you to color within the usual lines.

Such a great quote. It’s why I love Ari Aster so much because I can never lock him down. Beau’s afraid was very unpredictable lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Ari Aster is insanely predictable in Midsommar and Hereditary. Beau Is Afraid was a refreshing movie and was definitely random/surprising, but Hereditary and Midsommar are carbon copies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Immaculate is another great example of going up to juuuust before that line then stopping, with that final scene.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Doltos posted:

Ari Aster is insanely predictable in Midsommar and Hereditary. Beau Is Afraid was a refreshing movie and was definitely random/surprising, but Hereditary and Midsommar are carbon copies.

:ok:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

I agree about Midsommar and that was probably why I thought it was underwhelming. Not Hereditary though, he really kept me on my toes with Hereditary, I didn't know where it was going from scene to scene and how far it would ultimately go.

And it's not just about being random and surprising the audience, it's about teasing the audience with what you're capable of so that they don't know where your line is.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Doltos posted:

i don't know what this post means but i thought both those movies were sick as hell

also i just watched the babadook again last and it deffo hits different when you got a kid with behavioral issues. very cool moving picture

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I think these days I actually prefer midsommar over hereditary

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

they are two moods and it changes day to day, but Beau is Afraid is easily now my most favorite of his. That's probably the hardest swing a modern director has ever took and I think that one is going to stand the test of time 50 years from now as being a real key piece for unlocking future artists brains in interesting ways. It really left an indelible mark on me and showed me Aster is capable of more than his contemporaries and is going to do extraordinary work in the future.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

MacheteZombie posted:

I definitely do and I think Midsommar is way funnier than people give it credit for

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Doltos posted:

I mean if you boil Hereditary and Midsommar down to "these are horror movies starring people with familial trauma" maybe but I'm very curious how these are carbon copies in any other way.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

I mean if you boil Hereditary and Midsommar down to "these are horror movies starring people with familial trauma" maybe but I'm very curious how these are carbon copies in any other way.

They both feature actors emoting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

because they dont like those movies and wanted to slight them

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacheteZombie posted:

I love a bright vivid color palette so in terms of visuals Midsommar wins easily.

I also think there's something about a movie with a feeling of simple inevitability to it that can make it very rewatchable compared to movies that are based more on twists or the experience of gradually figuring out what's going on. Solving the puzzle is fun the first time but doesn't necessarily hold up to repeat viewings. When it comes to Hereditary I wouldn't know if it holds up because there's no way I'm gonna watch that emotionally devastating Toni Collette performance again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It reminds me a lot of my mom and it makes me laugh. It's not 1:1 or anything but has enough little things that makes it fun for my brother and i to watch.

Wipe that face off your face! could've been said by my mom lol

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

*muttering to myself after the telephone pole scene in Hereditary*

"called it."

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Midsommar is predictable on purpose and I absolutely love it for that, for how many times it straight up looks you in the eye and says "here is what us going to happen"
As soon as it opened on that seasons picture I knew what Aster was up to and I was fully on board

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

there was a tapestry that laid out the entire movie too lol. I just mean, you never know how far he's going to go with it. You see people about to jump off a cliff and you're like...okay he can either be really disgusting and brutal, or he can be more reserved.

And he does something that's in between which makes it way more effective and realistic.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm not big on Midsommar for a few reasons but it was bold of him to make a movie very obviously inspired by The Wicker Man (2005)

Hereditary is so good. Well-acted, great tension, fantastic ending, and a deep dark distressing allegory tying it all together.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Hereditary had a really fun, almost literary structure with a lot of great dialogue, and the beheading scene and subsequent followup was just delightful. Midsommar felt much more like a sophomore effort.

Basebf555 posted:

I always think about how much heavy lifting is done in Jaws by that single brief shot of Alex Kitner turning into a tumbling fountain of gore. Because it's so vivid, unexpected, and sort of abstract, it forces you to fill in the gaps with your imagination, and spends the rest of the movie lodged in the front of your brain as a visceral example of what the shark can actually do. A sudden injection of suffering is a beautiful thing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Midsommar was not a carbon copy of Hereditary but it was basically a carbon copy of The Wicker Man (except twice as long and half as good)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

More filmmakers should copy The Wicker Man