Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

i guess i don't feel the same concerns about tension because yeah, to me the lack of physical concern means there's so many insane places for it to go. i mean, one way this could really easily break bad and plunge us into something like the hell sequence is if our protagonists get what they want with no real opposition, which is very fun.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I wonder why someone who does not like Asa as protagonist, has not been feeling the last few chapters where she has returned to being main character.

Truly mysterious

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Elite posted:

Asa only has plot armour in the sense that she doesn’t have Hybrid level immortality, so there’s a limit to what terrible things Fujimoto can do to her. So he was okay making her lose an arm a few chapters back, but doesn’t want to kill her off.

I wonder when the other chainsaw man will turn up again. He seemed to have a vested interest in helping Denji and Asa out.

drat, black chainsaw man has to appear now if only to break katana man's brain.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lamebot posted:

drat, black chainsaw man has to appear now if only to break katana man's brain.

Given what happened the last time Black Chainsaw Man fought the weapon humans he wouldn't have that long to register it before getting completely eviscerated

e: to be clear BCSM is the Pochita-controlled form, not the entirely separate guy we saw that one time

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can't wait for the Dragon Ball FighterZ-style Chainsaw Man fighting game where we have almost as many Chainsaw Men as Gokus

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Asa would get more powerful the less you understand about her mechanics and/or economics.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
I can’t believe tossing the heart into the center of the earth wasn’t priority one. Public Safety really needs a Makima to get things done right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have to admit I don't really get the 'no tension' thing. Asa/Yoru and Denji are like the only people who are extremely unlikely to die at this moment and in the case of both of them a whole lot of things can happen that are genuinely worse than death. Like Asa's down an arm and Denji is in loving boxes, and the world's most talented murderblender just walked into the room.

Like poo poo it takes all of a chapter for things to go from good to loving Terrible in this series and just because things are funny doesn't mean there isn't tension. The Eternity Devil thing was goddamn hilarious but it also was the cast basically trapped in a horrible situation that involved Denji doing something batshit insane to escape.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Don't forget they lost Guilly too poo poo's hosed...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

His ex-potential-girlfriend.

I was thinking why this arc felt so weird, and I figure part of it is that this is maybe the lowest tension Chainsaw Man has ever had. Asa and Fami keep running into difficulties that get comedically undermined, so it's hard to feel like there's any threat. Contrasts pretty hard with the mood at the end of Denji's last arc that kicked this off.

gently caress you mean there's no threat when everyone involved has the uneasiest peace treaty possible and then also suddenly one of the most lethal characters appears. why are you like this

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wonder why someone who does not like Asa as protagonist, has not been feeling the last few chapters where she has returned to being main character.

Truly mysterious

Asa is one of the most entertaining protags i've witnessed in a JP series and anyone who doesn't like her is a terrorist, imo

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Electric Phantasm posted:

Don't forget they lost Guilly too poo poo's hosed...

Guilly's just recovering in freeza's ship, she'll be back to save everyone

Isra the Great
Apr 5, 2009

A pleasure to meet you, my good bro.

Elite posted:

Asa would get more powerful the less you understand about her mechanics and/or economics.

"How are you beating me? You're just button spamming!"
"I gave the machine a quarter, so they're my buttons to do what I want with!"

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I have to admit I don't really get the 'no tension' thing. Asa/Yoru and Denji are like the only people who are extremely unlikely to die at this moment and in the case of both of them a whole lot of things can happen that are genuinely worse than death. Like Asa's down an arm and Denji is in loving boxes, and the world's most talented murderblender just walked into the room.

Like poo poo it takes all of a chapter for things to go from good to loving Terrible in this series and just because things are funny doesn't mean there isn't tension. The Eternity Devil thing was goddamn hilarious but it also was the cast basically trapped in a horrible situation that involved Denji doing something batshit insane to escape.

i think it's relative. there's a pretty high level of tension running through the series that has never let up, but what's happening right now is certainly on the lower scale even if quanxi

also guilly is safe that's a good thing

stuker fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 4, 2024

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Blockhouse posted:

Given what happened the last time Black Chainsaw Man fought the weapon humans he wouldn't have that long to register it before getting completely eviscerated

e: to be clear BCSM is the Pochita-controlled form, not the entirely separate guy we saw that one time

i guess i meant fake chainsawman who showed up to stop falling.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

symbolic posted:

gently caress you mean there's no threat when everyone involved has the uneasiest peace treaty possible and then also suddenly one of the most lethal characters appears. why are you like this

I mean that we've repeatedly had a situation where Asa is in danger, then had it undermined for comedic purposes. Public Safety has Asa surrounded, guns at ready? Gully shows up and strips them naked. Katana shows up, Asa talks him around to being on her side because he's a fan who knows about her poetry book. Eyepatch talks tough, and runs away like a Joestar. Fami seems like a menacing unreliable ally, she gets booted in the head repeatedly.

It's like when Kobeni's car ran over the Immortal brother. It took characters who were a dramatic threat, and then went with a comedic situation that broke the tension. (This contrasts the comedy from the Family Burger chapters, which drew on the threat being very much present, but in a ridiculous situation.)

It's not "Phew, Asa made it through for the moment!", it's "Haha, Asa's in a goofy situation." And that repeated undermining of tension means that Quanxi doesn't read as a threat as much as she reads like the setup for another punchline.

It could pivot in a moment, of course. Rapid shifts are a Fujimoto standard. But normally Chainsaw Man keeps the tension high through the entire action part of an arc, with something looming in the background as another threat even when it gets rid of the current main threat (like Santa and Quanxi still being out there when the Immortal Brothers get undermined, or the Typhoon killer's death revealing that Reze is much, much scarier than he is). Here, we're getting the undermining, but there's no imminent issue (Death's a ways off right now, as far as we know) to keep up the tension when Public Safety looks like a bunch of goofballs. It creates a different mood than any previous arcs. Not bad, but very different. And it stands out all the more because the Denji chapters leading directly into this were some of the most grim and dramatic in the series.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Absolutely love the doctor's "Bruh, I just work here" energy.

How did Fujimoto resist a 'What's in the booooox!?' gag though?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad when quanxi shows up in a the story my thought is im gay instead of something about the tenison being undercut or something i dunno i am only half paying attention to these other posts im gay

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
quanxi has a type (female fiends). i don't know about the rest of them, but asa should be okay. well, as okay as she ever is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

quanxi has a type (female fiends). i don't know about the rest of them, but asa should be okay. well, as okay as she ever is.

Asa is a teenager!

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean that we've repeatedly had a situation where Asa is in danger, then had it undermined for comedic purposes. Public Safety has Asa surrounded, guns at ready? Gully shows up and strips them naked. Katana shows up, Asa talks him around to being on her side because he's a fan who knows about her poetry book. Eyepatch talks tough, and runs away like a Joestar. Fami seems like a menacing unreliable ally, she gets booted in the head repeatedly.

It's like when Kobeni's car ran over the Immortal brother. It took characters who were a dramatic threat, and then went with a comedic situation that broke the tension. (This contrasts the comedy from the Family Burger chapters, which drew on the threat being very much present, but in a ridiculous situation.)

It's not "Phew, Asa made it through for the moment!", it's "Haha, Asa's in a goofy situation." And that repeated undermining of tension means that Quanxi doesn't read as a threat as much as she reads like the setup for another punchline.

It could pivot in a moment, of course. Rapid shifts are a Fujimoto standard. But normally Chainsaw Man keeps the tension high through the entire action part of an arc, with something looming in the background as another threat even when it gets rid of the current main threat (like Santa and Quanxi still being out there when the Immortal Brothers get undermined, or the Typhoon killer's death revealing that Reze is much, much scarier than he is). Here, we're getting the undermining, but there's no imminent issue (Death's a ways off right now, as far as we know) to keep up the tension when Public Safety looks like a bunch of goofballs. It creates a different mood than any previous arcs. Not bad, but very different. And it stands out all the more because the Denji chapters leading directly into this were some of the most grim and dramatic in the series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Asa is a teenager!

fiends normally don't have human personalities remaining, and war is not a teenager. i'm just saying quanxi would be naturally inclined to not instantly murder asa at super speed.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Beat me to it.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The last arc was emotionally intense. This arc is light to balance that.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Guy who worries about Nayuta a lot is wondering why some people are saying these chapters aren't high stakes

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

We're 64 chapters into Part 2 now so on a whim I checked where the story was at this point in Part 1 and it turned out to be the chapter where everyone just got sent to hell

:unsmigghh:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
if all of this is just a stupid plot by Power to make Denji come and get her in hell, I'll laugh so hard

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
You know it's kinda hosed up that Power is walking around with some dead girls body,but she was cool so it kinda evens out

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well probably a lot of Power was the dead human. Some art Fujimoto released after the end of part 1 shows a blonde woman walking away from Denji and Nayuta, presumably Power's human half exiting the story

https://twitter.com/CHAINSAWMAN_PR/status/1367490229691707403

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Flavahbeast posted:

Well probably a lot of Power was the dead human. Some art Fujimoto released after the end of part 1 shows a blonde woman walking away from Denji and Nayuta, presumably Power's human half exiting the story

https://twitter.com/CHAINSAWMAN_PR/status/1367490229691707403

That looks more chestnut than blonde, and given Nayuta's 'parentage', I think Makima's a more likely candidate. Not that it's a one-for-one match with anyone's regular look, but Makima is a bit more central to Denji's life, and much more central to Nayuta's even if Power is pretty important.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we still don't know where the heck nayuta came from, right?

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Kishibe says she was found in China.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

chiasaur11 posted:

That looks more chestnut than blonde, and given Nayuta's 'parentage', I think Makima's a more likely candidate. Not that it's a one-for-one match with anyone's regular look, but Makima is a bit more central to Denji's life, and much more central to Nayuta's even if Power is pretty important.

Yeah this is Makima since narratively it's kind of both her being reborn and Nayuta is kind of a hyopethical Makima/Denji child

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we still don't know where the heck nayuta came from, right?

Control basically got spawn camped because she was instantly back in the human world

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/0trebot/status/1776633626366451754?t=z10gI0XSTNQGO36-Awkjcw&s=19

https://twitter.com/mantisi41/status/1776563976966656240?t=Q37qW8yPsqSFxo9-JsRXiA&s=19

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 6, 2024

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chainsaw-man-chapter-162/chapter/42259?action=read

I do appreciate the doctors continuing to want no part in this nonsense.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

fujimoto has really been foregrounding gender in the text of the last few chapters, and that public safety guy's death particularly draws attention to it. anyways turns out depressed quanxi is way more unnerving than baseline quanxi

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Give her the bodies back! Quanxi deserves happiness!

But really, Nail is asking the only question worth discussing and I'm excited for the speculation that will inevitably follow.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
"The doctors continue being the best." is not something I thought I would ever say after they dismembered Denji :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Popo posted:

Give her the bodies back! Quanxi deserves happiness!

I would say most of the cast deserves happiness or at least a better lot in life then they have right now.