Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

It is a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
But what isnt

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

you tell me

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Life As a House is a decent little drama he did with Kevin Kline that I like. Won't blow your mind, but it's good enough that I remember it 20 years on. Kevin Kline is dying of something and wants to build a house with his son before he dies.

I dig Life as a House. It probably came along at the right time when my dad died and I was young and struggling with what I didn’t say or do. But it hit me well. Strong cast too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Excuse me but Showgirls is a banger movie and Hayden was only in one good movie called Shattered Glass

not sure i see what you're goin for here. Showgirls is a banger movie, Shattered Glass is also a banger movie.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Awake was p good with Hayden in it, freaked me tf out when i was a little kid

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:hellyeah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuON7HH0UkQ

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

does youtube now increase the view count while youre watching or am i going insane bc i swear i saw those numbers move

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Is that a Dan Stevens I see? Bless that dude just doing a million horror films.

STAC Goat posted:

I dig Life as a House. It probably came along at the right time when my dad died and I was young and struggling with what I didn’t say or do. But it hit me well. Strong cast too.

It's really hard to say no to Kristen Scott Thomas and Kevin Kline in a movie together, before you even toss in a stealthy Jenna Malone from before she was anyone.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Bless Dan Stevens

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s in a lot of genre this year. It’s fantastic. He was really fun in GxK

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

you tell me

Things that aren't horror movies:
-The Most Serene Republic of San Marino
-One (1) small hedgehog
-Showgirls (1995, for. Paul Verhoeven)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

pretty lukewarm on Immaculate 15 minutes after leaving the theater. Felt like it was a directionless mess until the midpoint when they realized they only had 93 minutes and rushed through the rest. I get why it's pushing buttons but it's a lot less transgressive than it thinks it is. Also there was a trailer for a remake of The Strangers before my showing, which is insane because it's not an old movie at all, and the original still works fine.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that strangers movie is a prequel and it’s a trilogy, that’s already shot, directed by renny harlin

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Things that are:
-Def by Temptation (1990, dir. James Bond III)
-Psychomania (1973, dir. Don Sharp)
-Life itself.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Roger Moore did a good job directing that movie

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Things that are:
-Def by Temptation (1990, dir. James Bond III)
-Psychomania (1973, dir. Don Sharp)
-Life itself.

Def by Temptation rules.

Psychomania... is interesting! I wish I liked it more than I do. It certainly has some frogs in it!

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i have actually never seen showgirls tbh

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Looks great. been seeing the trailer a ton in theater so i was surprised today is the day it premiered on the internet.

Kvlt! posted:

does youtube now increase the view count while youre watching or am i going insane bc i swear i saw those numbers move

yes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm down as gently caress for Cuckoo, love Hunter Schafer, love Dan Stevens, love body horror.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

Highly recommend it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

dorium posted:

Looks great. been seeing the trailer a ton in theater so i was surprised today is the day it premiered on the internet.

yes.

thank you i hate it but i am glad im not losing my mind

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Kvlt! posted:

It's very fun.

Very stupid but in that Verhoeven way where it's stupid in a very intentional and thought out way.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i dont want another strangers movie!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i dont want another strangers movie!!

Too Bad , you are getting 3

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

well if they've come three times they arent exactly strangers are they!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

veni veni veni posted:

You’ll Never Find Me fuckin slaps.

Why are Aussies so good at horror movies?

I don't know how to put my finger on it but Australian films feel pretty alienated/isolated/claustrophobic while being based heavily in practical fears. Wolf Creek having the outback as the setting gives a real good feel of isolation in addition to the whole psycho killer aspect. I didn't like Babadook because I feel like I wasn't the target audience but the oppressive feeling and the idea that you're stuck in your situation was definitely there the entire time. Talk to Me with the asphyixation while holding the hand, The Tunnels being a closed in hunting ground, Relic being an inevitable hereditary doom. It feels like being stuck that far away just seeps into all the films.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/chuckyisreal/status/1775579434625450041?s=46

cool

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Right, the outback is always a brilliant horror movie setting in the same way something like the arctic is. The feeling that the landscape is just as hostile as anything else, and you can trade claustrophobia for agoraphobia with the idea that you can run for miles and miles and find absolutely nothing. And you can use all those remote mining towns as thematic stand-ins for any number of ghost town tropes, the Queensland Chainsaw Massacre or The Outback Has Eyes could be done with total ease.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Love the chuck

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.
Discussion of Australian Horror with no mention of Wake in Fright? Not on my watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mh7qZq0f_w

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Wake in Fright is the arch-Ozsploitation, an absolute must-watch. Just absolutely bleak movie.

A more recent one I totally recommend is The Royal Hotel, came out last year. More of a thriller than actual horror, but I know a lot of people here would really enjoy it. A great Bad Time movie, and obviously really influenced by stuff like Wake in Fright.

On the sillier end, I will keep recommending Razorback, an Aussie take on Jaws about a giant killer boar that has no reason being as much fun as it is.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Razorback kicks rear end def an underrated creature feature

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

If you feel like you were going insane because you saw something move unexpectedly, it's probably a good horror movie trailer.

I must find Razorback to watch some time. I've wanted to see it for years, mostly because I'm a huge fan of Highlander.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1775537530206630367?s=20

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Wake in Fright is the arch-Ozsploitation, an absolute must-watch. Just absolutely bleak movie.

A more recent one I totally recommend is The Royal Hotel, came out last year. More of a thriller than actual horror, but I know a lot of people here would really enjoy it. A great Bad Time movie, and obviously really influenced by stuff like Wake in Fright.

On the sillier end, I will keep recommending Razorback, an Aussie take on Jaws about a giant killer boar that has no reason being as much fun as it is.

great recommendations all round here. The Royal Hotel particularly is great, it really captures the 'anything bad can happen' vibe of some Aussie pubs.

if you really want to get bleak with Aussie cinema, watch Snowtown. (for those who don't know it's based on probably the most infamous murders in South Aus.) it's filmed in the area where the real crimes happened, and chock full of locals in the supporting cast. fantastic film but very uncompromising: it's a really tough watch, there's not enough 'harrowing content' warnings i can slap on it.

on the other hand, if you want some jolly good aussie fun, check out 100 BLOODY ACRES, feat. Angus Sampson and Damon Herriman. really fun, bloody romp with some hilarious character twists along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJyVEQBCIf0

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i cant even put my finger on what makes Snowtown so loving BLEAK like its gory sure but it really just has this hopeless disturbing quality too it. Definitely has that Henry/Man Bites Dog quality.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

There's a content warning for Wake in Fright, there is a scene in the movie where they show a hunting party for Kangaroos and its really them shooting them and poo poo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

it should be clarified the filmmakers rode along with kangaroo hunters (I believe the skins were exported and made into pet food). They didnt kill them for the movie.

Obviously still disturbing but I know for me I wouldnt want to watch the movie if I knew the kangaroos were being killed FOR the movie, which wasnt the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Swamp Thing
Sep 11, 2001

It's the Evolution Revolution.

Hollismason posted:

There's a content warning for Wake in Fright, there is a scene in the movie where they show a hunting party for Kangaroos and its really them shooting them and poo poo

The intention I believe gets across to the viewer (that man's inhumanity towards man, and inhumanity towards other life is senseless and unjustifiable, etc.), and that scene is always incredibly disturbing. Its a hard subject to tiptoe around without spilling the beans and lessening the shock & blow that infamous scene delivers. Its nasty and cruel, and yes - the actual truth is nasty and cruel just like the philosophical message the film is trying to convey.

When recommending the film one certainly needs to consider the audience due to that scene in particular and others.

The Swamp Thing fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Apr 4, 2024